Well boys, looks like I'm graduating with a 2.3 GPA - Software Engineering. No internship experience...

Well boys, looks like I'm graduating with a 2.3 GPA - Software Engineering. No internship experience, no great personal projects of note. How many years is it going to be until I find a position? Any of you ever be in a completely fucked situation and still manage to make it as a developer?

if you have a good internship, you can find a job

it really is who you know, not what you know
stop being a NEET and start networking

bolter-shots fired at 40k fa/tg/uys?

>uses windows 10
triggered

There average GPA of a millionaire is like 2.9. youll be fine.

That is the best virgin Chad meme I have ever seen

>graduating from with a shit GPA in a shit major with no experience and no portfolio
This sounds too bad to be true.

Damn son. Start on projects, collaborate with others. That's literally all that can help you at this point

Just lie on your resume

I know. Somehow I expected to just coast into a job before I even graduated but the hard reality hit me after it was too late to make any significant changes.
I wasted these past four years.
To all freshman - internships as soon as possible. personal projects. networking. never stop learning outside of class. don't end up with regrets like me who probably won't be successful.

You take shit too seriously, you don't need much money to survive. you'll survive without a fancy car or whatever.

I got kicked out of Comp Eng. Somehow I still managed to land a job as a developer. I'm getting pretty fucking good at programming, I'm even helping my friends in CS with their assignments and getting 80%+. Don't get me wrong, you fucked up, but with hard work and determination (which is easier now since you get paid for it) you can still make it.

>1.7 gpa because party animal all last year
>on academic probation
fuck, i can pull this back up in 3 years, right?

I'm looking for any job development related, but I can't even get into the shitty entry level jobs. They see my lack of experience, only school projects, and probably toss my resume right into the trash.

>software engineering
Is that, like... a thing you can graduate on? Like, a real degree? from a real university? never heard of that in my life

Just start your own company, that's what all the billionaires do

yeah it's a recent kind of major I think. and it's legit 4 year degree - my program was accredited for it. basically a lot of universities realized that CS and software development are two different things.
not sure how it works at other unis, but at mine, basically CS and SE are the same for first 2.5 years, at which point there is a divergence. CS focuses more on theory such as compilers, robotics, etc.., while SE focuses on system architecture, testing and debugging, agile techniques, process management, etc..
I choose SE because I knew for sure I wanted to be a developer, and even though some of that stuff can be learned on the job, I liked the idea of it being taught in a structured way.

yeah, it's possible. just go at it hard. aim for at least a 3.0, which is the magic number for a lot of these companies apparently.

ok ok the gentoo line got me

kill yourself

54k is pretty shit, guess I need to work harder on getting my GPA up

please stop perpetuating this god awful meme

You can probably be somebodies bitch at a a consulting company.

Ok, it sounds sensible when you put it that way. Surely you can get a job regardless of your gpa and shit though? I know people without degrees getting decent jobs in software development (maybe not decent by the internet's "hurr durr if you make less than 100k a year you're poor" standards)

Correlation does not imply causation you retard.

I didn't say that their low GPA caused them to become millionaires fucking retard. I just said that you can be successful without a high GPA.

I'm in same boat as you OP. Graduating with a 2.36 in December with a chemical engineering degree. No engineering experience because I worked in a pharmacy through college and that paid the bills just fine. Now I have nothing to found a career on.

At least I was born charming and attractive. I'm just gonna show up at plants and hand them resumes. Surely it'll work... eventually.

>ARISUCHAN

into the trash it goes.

Any engineering student can easily start research projects with their Professors. You were just lazy bro.

I have a 2.7 GPA but develop software at a company part-time. I'll be graduating with about 2-2.5 years experience between webdev and working in C#. What are my chances?

i had a 2.4 at graduation with a CS degree and it took me like a year and a half to double my state's average salary

you will be fine

honestly the thought of seeing somebody's resume at this point with a gpa on it is laughable, just leave it off. if anybody asks just be real about why it was low, but i doubt anybody will

you need to work on learning a framework in a dynamic language like rails/django, or maybe something node related

find a product based company using one of these frameworks and just chill, do better work than your peers, and soak up as much knowledge as possible from the sr. engs and directors

What uni, user?

This should have been the Virgin Cyberpunk and the Chad Steampunk. It doesn't work when Chad is the thing that Sup Forums prefers.

Chances for what? Thats a lot of experience.

You could try to get an internship still, that seems to be more common nowadays. GPA shouldn't be as significant there. They might not pay as well depending on the company but at least then you can try to get a real job. Just work your ass off at the internship and you might even land there.

Maybe even just start making little contributions to open source projects to build a GitHub profile. I'm not sure if companies eat that up though, I've never had to do that before.

It's like the other anons are saying, just keep trying and you'll make it work no problem. And have a bit of confidence.

Worst comes to worst you could do IT.

True. The joke is funnier with the Neuromancer theme being on the alpha side, though. It's hard not to make a console cowboy sound cool as shit.

I'll be graduating with anywhere between a 1.5 and 2.2ish depending on how much I fail this semester. I'll have an associates in electronic engineering tech and no experience or internships in my field. I have no money to go to finish my bachelors and I'll be denied financial aid since I've been a perpetual student for years due to changing majors several times and am over the credit limit for financial aid. I can't even get those federal no interest loans. I have almost 6 years of work experience... in fast food for whatever that's worth.

I gotta try to get a decent technician job and hopefully have my employer pay for my furthering education to full fledged engineer.

How do I spin resume to make my failures look like success so I can at least get some interviews?

goddamn and I thought I was bad

Um, just say you have an associates degree and you felt like you already knew enough that you didn't need a bachelor's I guess. avoid talking about GPA at all costs.

>graduating in 3 months with 3.7 GPA
>double major in math and EE
Lmao sucks to suck OP

Amazon and Google are probably out but there's an endless sea of startups and little no-name vendors that will snap up anything with a pulse, then you can go from there.

What's the average for a burger flipper

My Prof told me I should just work on my GPA before committing to research

>Tfw no desire to work in CS

I didn't even finish my degree, but two great projects landed me a nice job after studying software engineering for a total of 5 years. Some of that is probably luck, but being able to market yourself even if you don't think the things you've done are that noteworthy, is important.

This is actually a problem.
I live in bay area. Its hard to find a respectable company willing to hire because of the flood of postings from startups offering good pay for 2 months until all the money is gone and you realize you worked the last 3 weeks for free.

I don’t even have a degree and I make 150k.

Are you a programmer? How did you learn? I'm bad at self teaching

>2.1 gpa in highschool
>go to community college
>1 year in with 3.7 gpa
>get internship with dod
>graduate with free tssci clearance
WOW STUDYING SURE IS HARD

I think it would be cool to work for a startup but i'm a shit developer and am worried that if i'm hired I will immediately shit the bed and be completely useless. Then the company will probably go bankrupt. I can't work with that type of pressure on my back. It doesn't help that I'm shit at interviews and have below average social skills.
No matter how much new material I learn I feel useless. I just wanted to be good at something for once in my life.
thanks for reading my blog

For me I have trouble keeping track of all the work I have to do and doing it all on time. The tests and stuff are the easiest part.

so drop classes? i'd gladly spend an extra year getting a degree if it meant i get an A in a class.

>codes without or syntax highlighting
absolutely
H A R A M
A
R
A
M

40k is such a shit game, they deserve every bit of hate

It took me 1.5 years with personal projects and a 3.6 GPA. Worst of all is that I'm totally unqualified for the job I got. I'm crashing and burning right now.

Anyway, with my limited experience at the job, I can give you some advice.

1. data structures and their respective algorithms are only for interviews. You gotta study them for interviews, but just know that that's all they're good for.

2. Specialize. This is huge. This is the key to $100k and beyond. Being shit at a lot of things is useless to a company. For the best results, you should be really good in a specific area. I know that you may not know which area you would enjoy the most, but you gotta get over that. We need to get you in the door, so just pick something. Once you are in and are settled, you can start exploring. There is always the option to expand your role, especially in a smaller company.

3. Don't stop. For me, the job is 18 hours a day of programming every single day. I am fighting for my life out there, and I'm losing. The few hours per week that I put in for practice while I was unemployed were completely worthless. It should have been a few hours every day. You should be studying a few hours per day.

4. Use GitHub and contribute to open source projects. This is more valuable than personal projects, because you get to study how professionals do things and what they use and because the job is a lot more like that: deciphering a codebase and then extending its functionality.

5. LinkedIn. Get a good picture up there and add 500+ contacts. Add your classmates, add your teachers, add your mom - whoever. Get on there to show people that you're not a bum.

6. Gather a couple references - past classmates, preferably professors.

>you realize you worked the last 3 weeks for free.
I'd be fucking ecstatic to work for free. The experience is worth it.

>if i'm hired I will immediately shit the bed and be completely useless
That is me right now . I feel so bad about myself. I'm giving 110% and still failing. I'm already getting thoughts about giving up and quitting.

the no personal projects is more telling than the GPA.

So... do you actually know what you're doing? Do you actually LIKE what you're doing?

What is an employer supposed to glean from your record thusfar?

>Oh good, he's got no projects to point to after 4yrs of school.
>Oh good, his GPA is utter shit, bottom barrel of the class.

You're going to have to get your shit together, dude. You need to actually DO things and CREATE things. You know, work, like we do in the real world outside of academia. Not trying to be a dick but school can lull you into a false sense of complacency where you think "oh yeah, i'm getting a degree, i'll be ok"

Yeah well... you WONT be OK if you don't step up your game. Because if you ever apply to a job that I'm applying to, I'm going to wipe the floor with you, just on personal projects alone.

>5. LinkedIn. G
STOP THIS SHIT

I had a 4.0 and I turned into a neet after college because I had no non-school project, internships, or connections. I bought that boomer meme about how if you just get a degree everything'll be fine. If I'd known that the actual schoolwork very nearly doesn't matter and it's all about stuff you do and people you meet on your own time I don't think I would've ever bothered with college.

There aren't really any careers for people that're lazy and antisocial, are there?

>4. Use GitHub and contribute to open source projects. This is more valuable than personal projects, because you get to study how professionals do things and what they use and because the job is a lot more like that: deciphering a codebase and then extending its functionality.

How do you find an open source project to jump into and start contributing? It all seems pretty overwhelming.

Look, when you're a kid with no experience and nothing to your name, LinkedIn can help if you use it right. It's at least useful as a job search engine.

The trick is to actually apply for jobs

This. Also githubs language advanced search seems broken.

github's search is fucking terrible. i always just end up cloning it and running grep -rni repo/ -e 'some expression'

>How do you find an open source project to jump into and start contributing?

That's a great question. Unfortunately, I can't really answer since I didn't go that route. I struggled with the same question, gave up, and just went the personal projects route, but that's not the right answer, because when you do personal projects, you don't know what the right way to do things is, so you might spend weeks practicing bad things, and that's a colossal waste of time. It's part of the reason why I am dying in my new job.

Contributing is not actually scary or difficult. GitHub makes it easy with their fork/branch/rebase/pull flow. You should learn that right away. Many projects have small bugs that are perfect stepping stones for rookies, or they have places where you can add a small little feature.

As for finding them, GitHub has a browse feature and - I believe - some filtering options. Try them.

This is how it works at my school. The only difference between software engineering and CS is like 6 classes and CS is more theory while SE is more actual programming

>be me
>hear horror stories about all the autism you have to go through to get hired in tech
>get accounting degree and get hired immediately

meanwhile CS plebs have to do a bunch of side autism like "projects" just to get a foot in the door

I honestly wish I went that route instead. I was in too deep already when I realized I didn't enjoy programming as much as I thought I did in the beginning.