What happened with Nvidia and Linux?

If you want to run Linux, you pretty much have to buy an AMD GPU.

Remember a decade ago? When the no driver meme started? It was because of Linux. Because AMD had absolute shit drivers on Linux. Look at them now. In every aspect their open source driver is superior to Nvidia open source driver, and it's getting dangerously close to their proprietary driver as well thanks to all contributions from Valve, Red Hat, Canonical, Gentoo and Arch devs or just bored basement dwelling kids sharping their programming skills on Mesa.

How on earth did this happen? Why isn't Nvidia doing anything for open source drivers?

The last time I tried Linux of Nvidia I got a black screen during booting on both Debian and Manjaro. Fuck that shit.

Was it all Linus' fault? Because he gave them the finger?

Other urls found in this thread:

nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames/
devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1024719/unix-graphics-announcements-and-news/linux-solaris-and-freebsd-driver-387-12-beta-/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>using open source gpu drivers
Stop taking this "muh freedum" meme so seriously

fuck the freedom, it's about functionality

if you get a minor kernel update your GPU drivers stop working if it's nvidia

cancer of the community

Good luck getting shit to work outside Ubuntu/RedHat with the proprietary drivers
Also, FOSS drivers eventually surpass proprietary drivers, this is specially true for Intel

It probably has to do with the fact that Nvidia doesn't want other competitors to get a hold of their optimizations. That and that they'd probably have to put R&D into new open source solutions since they use so much proprietary stuff from other companies in their drivers.

AMD has already better CPU than Intel (for the price)
I hope AMD become the good guy & contribute to make Gaming on Linux better.
Consoles already choose AMD over Nvidia.
Nvidia don't realize that Android = Linux.
Gaming on Android will be a huge opportunity in future.

oh do shut up you fucking autist

the reason why the linux kernel transformed itself into the biggest collaboration on the planet isn't a half senile old men injecting politics into computing, it's about the fact that free and open source software is the only software library you can maintain across decades and millions of lines of code making it the most functional software in the world

that's the death of proprietary software right there

the fact that windows is becoming unmaintainable

nouveau works very well for "older" nvidia cards.

how much older? to my knowledge 1000 series is completely unsupported

nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames/

>supported cards
>GeForce 1060, GeForce 1070

well, i might give it another go, but i'm skeptical

kys loser shill
devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1024719/unix-graphics-announcements-and-news/linux-solaris-and-freebsd-driver-387-12-beta-/

Fucking this
My t530 has nvidia and its a fucking nightmare.
The open source drivers work fine but perform like shit. Meanwhile the proprietary ones on both the fedora and Ubuntu repos boot to a black screen.
I can get past it with nomodeset but even then doing shit like changing the brightness makes the machine completely hang.
Meaning if I unplug the charger I have to hard reset.
And you read that right, I had to install fucking Ubuntu mate (can't use the main one cause lolnowayland support) in hopes that it would work better but it's still shit.
I'm gonna try arch with bumblebee when I have the time this weekend, if it doesn't work I'm just gonna suck it up and use the free graphics.

Meanwhile my t500 with radeon graphics literally just worked ootb, and gallium even has better performance than the old fglx driver.

Because Nvidia has > 90% of the GPU market and doesn't care about the < 5% that run a linux desktop.

I've been gaming on Linux for a few years now. When I started I had an AMD card and it had horrible support. I'd frequently have to switch between open and proprietary drivers in order to get different games to run. Eventually I bought Nvidia to just make everything easier. Open Nvidia drivers are trash but I've had great luck with proprietary drivers. So far I have no reason to switch but am excited it seems like I won't have to buy Nvidia exclusively. The biggest issues I've had with Nvidia are when linux installers would force the opensource driver but the driver didn't work with the card to actually display x. Most recently this was a huge issue with my 1060 but seemed to be fixed the last time I did a basic linux install like Ubuntu or Debian.

T. 6970, 970, 1060 user

>If you want to run Linux, you pretty much have to buy an AMD GPU.
What? The proprietary nvidia drivers have the best performance on linux by far.

>One company has total dominance in a market.
>Other companies don't want to be reliant on just one company so they invest and help out the competitor.
The same thing is happening in the display market where Samsung was the only company that was making OLED panels, so Apple and Google are investing into LG and the pOLED technology.

Their open source driver is even superior to nVidia closed source one. For 2 reasons
1. The installation can break on a lot of distros and cards
2. They literally said they'll never support Wayland

Nvidia is retarded and always has been.

They're literally better than closed source ones, at least for gaming. This was proven in benchmarks.

They're collaborating with Atari to make an Atari box running on AMD. It will be a linux gaming box and streaming box. Basically a console PC like SteamOS except much more affordable. They'll also focus on being "open". Pretty sure you'll soon be able to pre-order one from indiegogo.

But nvidia does support Wayland via EGL

Apple's also trying to push Intel to make better modems, hence why they made iPhone 7 with some Intel modems instead of Qualcomm because they're sick of getting dicked over by Qualcomm

1050 Ti works with nouveau?

None of the 900 and 1000 series cards have working reclocking. It will display an image on your screen, but it'll be forever in its slowest power-save mode. 600 and 700 series are the most recent cards that have reclocking, I think.

nvidia is for gamers
linux isn't

not anymore, amdgpu + mesa pretty much caught up/surpassed it.

Pics or it didn't happen.

>They're literally better than closed source ones, at least for gaming. This was proven in benchmarks.
Can you post proof of this please? here and i would love to not have to deal with nvidias shit

Who gives a flying fuck about Nvidia when a company providing open source drivers makes hardware that can run any released game comfortably? After that point you can either masturbate to pointless FPS charts or vote with your wallet for the good guys. If the games run anyway I'm focusing on the important stuff.