I'm on a tight budget for a laptop. What's a better compromise?

I'm on a tight budget for a laptop. What's a better compromise?

>120 hz monitor with average vid card and HDD
or
>60hz monitor with slightly better vid card and SSD

>What's a better compromise?
Not getting a gaming laptop period.

If you're truly on budget, buy a t420 for like $150 and use an expresscard gpu adapter

>thinkpad meme

I already have a t400 I don't care for anymore

Why would you want a gaming laptop? Just get a fucking desktop, it's not like the battery will last long enough for you to take it anywhere.

BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE WANT A FUCKING GAMING LAPTOP YOU DENSE MOTHERFUCKER

IF IT FUCKING BUGS YOU SO MUCH, GO FUCK YOURSELF AND HIDE THE THREAD

i got the better vid card and ssd and connect it to a monitor/keyboard/etc so i can get the best of both worlds

>all caps
>reddit spacing
hmmmmm
Well, enjoy your "portable" machine with a whopping 30 minute battery life. If you're in a tight budget get a fucking desktop.

I travel a lot

I'd rather have a 6 pound laptop I can move and plug in anywhere than a pc rig as big as one suitcase

No one who buys a gaming laptop is on a 'tight budget'. They're just getting greedy

I come home, hook my laptop up to a monitor, mechanical keyboard, mouse, and my stereo and (SURPRISE) the power cable, and I can game all night long. Then I just unhook it in the morning and go on my way.

You guys must have blinders on to all sorts of possibilities

I'd go for the 60hz option OP. BTW what brand/model are you getting?

Stop

typing

this,

take

your

adhd

meds

People aren't allowed to want things I don't like.

>implying people buying gaming laptops expect the battery to be used as more than a UPS
You even know it's really a "portable". That's the point, you can move it around easily and don't need to lug around a bunch of parts and cables to change what room you're in.

>as big as one suitcase
That's just the tower. You also need a second suitcase with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, plus all the cables.

Look into acer's current swift 3.
i5 8th gen (dual core though :/)
8gb ram
256gb m2 ssd
Nvidia mx150 2gb gddr5
13.3"

Shit, forgot to mention $800
and hyper threading

60hz, average card won't have enough power to get 120fps unless you only play things from 2010 and earlier

>forgot to mention $800
That actually makes that interesting. Otherwise the specs are pretty mediocre.

It's better

fo

r

formatt

ing

and you think this is a reddit thing? man you little Sup Forumsnomes don't know shit. Sup Forums has been making use of this format for-ever

an average laptop gpu will never be good enough for 120hz, so just get the better gpu with a 60hz monitor. If the upgrade is small, I would recommend getting the 120hz, to optimize your cupsouls experience.

>on a tight budget
>wants something inherently overpriced and ridiculously impractical to the point of being oxymoronic that literally only serves the purposes of autistic gayming manchildren
Just get some EBYN Razer and Half-Life stickers. Everyone in your special ed class will still be impressed and you will save some cash.

It looks like garbage, I can understand doing it with more than 5 sentences but with one fucking sentence it's painful to look at. Just take your fucking ADHD meds.

I bet if he posted a picture of a thinkpad instead, you wouldn't give a damn.

DO NOT GET A GAMING LAPTOP
Laptops are not designed to be gaymers laptop no matter how much it is "optimised" Get a gaming desktop and a cheap laptop that will do the job. Unless you travel around the world everyday

13.3" is also fantastic for work. Thinking of picking it up

Why would you ever need a 120hz monitor? I thought 60 fps is the penultimate setup for gaming?

This isn't true now that you can get a gtx 1070 or 1080 in one. And yes this is full chip.

we know.
it just inflates the price and powerdraw though, as well as the need to make them bulkier.
Gamur laptops aren't as bad as they used to be compared to their desktop counterparts but they still aren't practical.

>tight budget
>buying a gaming laptop
you don't know what is a fucking tight budget

FUKKEN THIS

Don't buy a """gaymen'''' laptop ever. Any PC for half the price will destroy it.

120hz, you can always turn down settings and if you play normal games rather than weird spergshit an average performance laptop will run them at 120 anyway.

Obviously the 60hz monitor. If you have to cheap out on the GPU and HDD you won't be able to take advantage of the 120hz.

>120hz

X D

>tight budget
>gayming laptop
No you aren't retard

Disregard these poorfags OP, I got a rog with the 965 and its wonderful.
Of course the battery life is shit while gaming, but who the fuck lives in a nigger country where you dont have power at your disposal?

>being this new

Get a laptop with 60hz display, ssd and a gtx 1050 ti. And don’t get one that looks like in pic related, it’s just depressing. And you’ll regret it when you grow out of gaming.

60hz is going to run slightly cooler than the 120hz
also why not buy a small desktop instead? laptops are a gigantic waste of money compared

Because he’s a /biz/nessman that travels by plane every fucking day, that’s why

You are the one who need meds

My question is what are you mainly trying to play on it?

The 2 I recommend are:
Gigabyte Aero if you don't want all that gaming rice. Only down side is, it is expensive.

Acer Predator Helios 300

user IRL.

I've been on this site for 10 years
fucking bullshit get out

Literally kill yourself, re**it fag. You are the cancer ruining this site.

undervolted full chip

Not undervolted but has less cuda cores, basically a 1060m/1070m/1080m but with a lesser performance impact than the previous gen mobile chips. I think the difference is about 5-10% with their desktop counterparts.

What if I just want a really nice screen and 8gb RAM and an i5 or better?

>r/pol pretending they aren't exactly edgy newfag tourists from TD and normie sites

this is always so amusing

Get a PS4 and gtf back to Sup Forums

This. At best, consider an eGPU solution with a normal laptop (even perhaps an ultrabook)

eGPU isn’t worth the price and effort right now, sadly it’s meme tier tech. I wouldn’t recommend.

With thunderbolt 3 it's viable now. Price overhead is a single time ~$500, which is reasonable. You lose about 2 fps total from that. It would be better to wait for thunderbolt 4, but that's not always an option.

Guess you haven't heard of Nvidia's Max Q technology

>people who need performance on the go for university or work related reasons don't exist
>university students who live in dorms don't exist
>exchange students don't exist either
>people who aren't autistic enough to care about running everything on ultra don't exist
>people who don't want to fuck around with managing two computers don't exist
>gaming laptops have unusable battery life, even with light use
>people actually game without plugging the laptop in
>in any setting where you'd want to run a game on your laptop, you won't have access to an electric outlet
>getting a shit tier laptop and a budget gaming PC is somehow better than a laptop that is a bit less powerful than the aforementioned gaming PC
Lots of false assumptions there.

That depends on your preferences in games and graphics. If you mostly play older games or games where you could reasonably expect to get 120 fps, then go with 120 Hz one. If you want to play recent "triple A" games, then go with the other, since you're probably not gonna get 120 fps on a laptop in that case. Your description is too vague btw, you didn't post your budget, nor the laptops in question.

>literally making up scenarios that are solved by non-retarded means to justify using a retarded means to fail to solve the scenario
hmmmmmmm......

I'd bet im taller than you, sage.

What do you mean price?
It's a cheaper setup than a gaymen laptop is

>he buys a giant ridiculous enclosure instead of a simple adapter
Just don't be stupid

Most of those are independent scenarios, senpai.

>a laptop that is a bit less powerful than the aforementioned gaming PC
It's way more than a bit anin, and more expensive.

>people who need performance on the go for university or work related reasons don't exist
Get a real workstation laptop like a Dell Precision or Thinkpad P51 then. They're smaller, lighter, more durable, have way better battery life, and run cooler than leet gaymen laptops.

>university students who live in dorms don't exist
There's no reason you can't have a desktop in a dorm.

>gaming laptops have unusable battery life, even with light use
Are you being facetious here? Because it's true. Real laptops can last 10 or more hours these days with light use, while gaming shit only 2.

>no u

I don't know what you mean.

I got an X230 for $120 and a GTX 970 for like $200. Add $40 for an adapter and a PSU I already had laying around, and it's a full gaming setup for only $360.

Runs Doom 4 at Max settings at 60+ fps. Seems plenty viable to me

Don't know where you found a $40 adapter, and I'd say what matters is performance ratio vs native and not your favorite low-requirement game's 60 fps target.

You lose maybe 20% performance and that's only if you're using the laptop internal screen

Much better returns than using a laptop's mobile GPU

Adapter is GDC Beast

From the benchmarks I've seen that's accurate, barely any loss when not using the internal monitor and about 20% when using the internal. I'm just saying your own claims aren't representative.

Option B you dumb fuck

>get a real workstation laptop that also costs more money, and is somehow smaller while having about the same performance
Workstation laptops aren't even necessarily smaller, especially not the P51 lmao. Stop watching so many LTT videos, not every gaming laptop is some 17" monster with dual graphics cards.
>There's no reason you can't have a desktop in a dorm.
I've been to my friend's dorm once, and there really wasn't enough space for a desktop there. I'm not saying all dorms are like that, but they are like that in some places. Bringing a full desktop to a dorm is also kinda autistic.
>2 hours of light use
More like 4-5, in my experience. It's not as good as 8-10, but it is good enough in practice, and as I've said, you can get an extra battery if you really need it, comparatively cheaply.

Personally I'd get a 60hz monitor and better vid card.

But whatever you do, do not get pic related unless you enjoy horrible screen bleed and having your battery loose charge WHILE the laptop is plugged in.

Asus rog laptops truly are the bottom of the barrel.