GAHNOO FONE

> Implying this isn't happening
> Implying 1.5mil is too high
> Trying to hate on muh freedums

Y'all fags better get ready when this drops and phones can stop being surveillance devices again. Or get in on it now and order one: puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

> phones can stop being surveillance devices again
> implying they weren't before

I dunno man car phones were pretty fuckin great.

>reskinned Debian on a 3 year old mid-level hardware
Ordering 5 $20k packs as we speak, my man.

>underpowered hardware
>not coming until 2019
>won't run android apps unless it hits 10 million
If canonical and mozilla couldn't make it work these guys definitely won't.

I really don't get why people care about the speed of the components in their phone. They've been fast enough to make no difference for over half a decade now

This is Sup Forums.
Your hardware performance directly relates to your manhood here.

nigger I'm running 2 old as fuck xeons from 2011
the only people that care about raw number memes in phones are normies

it matters for playing emulators and gaymes, which I guess this won't have anyway.

It doesn't have bluetooth 5 either which makes a huge difference. Samsung already has that and this shit is coming out in 2019.

>They've been fast enough to make no difference
They haven't unless your usage consists solely of making calls and browsing plain html.

KDE, GNOME, two desktop enviroments. will these people make gnome and kde all over again for phones? wtf?
they will make two different framworks instead of just making one? i dont get it

NO APPS
O

A
P
P
SPPA ON

>stop being surveillance devices
>still depends on proprietary GSM firmware
What a fucking waste.

>muh GNU/linux
>Doesn't support Android applications at all
dropped

S H U T. I T. D O W N.

where does it say that?

>1 million dollar loonix phone

>Hardware kill switches for:

>Camera
>Microphone
>Baseband
>WiFi/Bluetooth

This does sound pretty sweet. I think I'm gonna try my hand at the ringtone contest thing.

>Buy librem
>remove ShitOS
>install lineage master os

>Tape camera
>Insert 3.5mm jack head
And I thought I was crazy.

>Not Arch

I'm not enough autistic to do that

why would I pay a million dollars for a fucking phone? you can take my freedom, I don't do shit on my phone anyway

So is it completely open source? If not what the fuck is the point?

>doesn’t support android applications
NOW I’m interested

>Try running neofetch
>Kernal panic
>Reboot
>Try running neofetch again
>pacman breaks
>"This is gonna take only a minute"
>Takes a few hours because the phone overheats because lack of drivers
>Kernal just corrupts itself

SO WORTH IT

No. See -- GSM alone means there is no such thing as an open source phone, let alone whatever other firmware blobs this thing rides on.
You can have the baseband kill switch permanently off I guess, and just haul around an underpowered linux ipod.
The point is to scam entry-level freetards out of millions of dollars.

a free GSM implementation would take a lot more than any of their already impossible stretch goals. An actual privacy-oriented phone OS is still a good step in the right direction.

>From testing the CPU, GPU, Bootloader and all software will run free software, we are evaluating the WiFi and Bluetooth chips and firmware, this is an area we have to evaluate, finalize, and test. The mobile baseband will most likely use ROM loaded firmware, but a free software kernel driver. We intend to invest time and money toward freeing any non-free firmware.

Which is how sane people use their phone.

Does it support android apps?

They were talking about open standards but it's pointless if nobody bloody adopts them

10M stretch goal, for select apps only.

It's in the stretch goals at 10 million, so no.

Does it run Ingress?

Interested to see if these will be buggy as shit/shit interface. KDE/GNOME's first chance to develop a pre installed OS on a singular piece of hardware.

>throwing your money at an obvious scam
smart!

>I don't know how phones work

There are two operating systems on your phone kiddo -- the one you see and the baseband processor that runs proprietary realtime software that actually drives telecommunications hardware. The baseband chip owns the phone.

Good luck.

There's an interview where they said the baseband will be separated from the processor by design. Although yeah, still proprietary stuff in the baseband.

>implying baseband firmware is an OS

Seems like you don't know how phones work either. An OS is a piece of software that communicates with multiple pieces of hardware and ultimately allows user interaction with/via the hardware. Firmware is software running on a specific piece of hardware that handles it's operations.

Also

>implying this phone will avoid cell tower triangulation or stingray devices used by law enforcement

This shit is fucking DOA. Anything it promises in terms of security is a farce. The only cool thing is it's running desktop linux in a pocket sized device.

Just get a jailbroken 3DS, faggot. You shouldn' t play vidya in public anyway.

>The Librem 5 can be used in any of three ways:

>With a cellular carrier provided phone number, data plan, and WiFi
>With a cellular carrier data plan, and WiFi
>With no carrier, and using only WiFi

>WiFi calling and VoIP calling will be able to be provided in WiFi or data plan modes. We expect to offer call-out, and call-in with phone numbers in all of these plans as well. If you still require a “traditional” phone number through a carrier and want to make unencrypted phone calls or messaging, it will be an option you can choose, but is not required (we recommend avoiding unencrypted phone calls).

It's a phone. You can use it as a phone with all of the downsides of doing so. They don't recommend you do it.