/pcbg/ - PC Building General - Cofefe edition

General:
>If your build isn't completely Poverty-tier, consider an SSD. Consider buying a large SSD for the price of an HDD + SSD, and saving 50$ next paycheck to buy an HDD
>If your build needs Wifi, you will need a Wireless Network Adapter. General rule of thumb is more than 2 antennas

If you want help:
>Remember, we're not here to build a PC for you, we're here to help you
>View this handy guide on picking parts
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>If your part list needs a monitor, be sure to include information like response time, refresh rate, and resolution
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaymen, Video Editing, VM Work
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

CPUs:
No i5's unless discounted
>A8-9600 (APU) - Poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (~500)
>R3 1300x - Gap between 1200 & Ryzen 5, consider a 1400 if you need multithreading
>R5 1600 - Best bang for your buck with gaymen & mixed uses, 1600x if you don't like overclocking
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use, not just for gaymen

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up, using an old GPU / waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
>1050 TI - 1080p 60hz at low / medium settings (Anything below this, if it's for gaymen, you should just buy an Optiplex and put a better GPU in)
>RX 580 - 1080p 60hz at high / ultra settings, supports Freesync
>1060 6GB - 1080p 60hz at high/ ultra settings, supports G-Sync
>1070 - 1080p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 1440p 60hz at high / ultra settings
>1080 TI - 1440p 144hz at high / ultra settings, or 4k 60hz at high / ultra settings

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM, 3200(+) MHz is ideal

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.redflagdeals.com/has-anyone-dealt-samsung-warranty-ssd-updated-2098075/
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1
pcpartpicker.com/list/Kdr6Gf
libreboot.org/faq.html#amd-platform-security-processor-psp
macrumors.com/2017/08/15/intel-ice-lake-chips/
youtube.com/watch?v=zUg9lJBbRDU&t
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

"Wait for the benchmarks" is the universal answer if you do not know what todo.

I shall continue my one man crusade against the Samsung SSD

Have you tried Kingston? I got one and it's pretty good.

what's wrong with them and what's a better brand?

They refused to honor my or anyone else's warranties without a massive hassle.

forums.redflagdeals.com/has-anyone-dealt-samsung-warranty-ssd-updated-2098075/

Might go for that, choosing is hard. Someone also suggested the Crucial mx300 but I don't have experience with that.

OP is retarded banana, as usual.

>Windows 7 with RYZEN setup tips
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

how do i know what the iommu groups on a motherboard will be like before i buy it? is there any way to unfuck them?

ryzen is dead

Anyone know when RAM prices will go down?

how is this for an HTPC? it will be connected to a NAS so i dont think it needs a ton of storage on board

pcpartpicker.com/list/Kdr6Gf

We can bury it in the Coffin Lake with Intel.

Depends on when the chinks get their fabs online. The gooks are all colluding with each other to keep prices high, so there's no chance of them going down until something forces them.

why may I ask?

Can anyone tell me, do recent AMD cpu's have NSA inside like the Intel ME "feature"?

So if I buy a Z370 with an 8700k I have no assurance that this motherboard will work with 9th gen Intel CPUs, right?

Never lol

most likely yes since intel likes to do that

i5 8400

Knowing Intel you'll need to purchase a new motherboard whenever they release a new line of CPUs.

Looks like I'll be going with AMD, then. Not a gaymer anyway.

I get paid to say that.

Yes.

libreboot.org/faq.html#amd-platform-security-processor-psp

None whatsoever. We already know that Z370 is being replaced by Z390 next year. Compatibility is no longer assured for anything after Z270 and Covfefe Lake.

Dead is probably too strong a word.
It makes way for a new high-end gaming chip, which is also reasonable at streaming and productivity. That's just the 8700K.
From what little coverage I'm seeing of the 8600K it's a bit faster the R5 but with a higher price tag.

It would be unusual, since it means a board exists for a single generation, but it's theoretically possible.

>All these AMD shills
This thread fucking sucks. All you cocksuckers please show me when did Intel change chipset after 1 generation. You should be able to since Intel likes to do that.

I hate Intel but giving out bullshit information doesn't help make AMD look good.

how is even shilling

>It would be unusual, since it means a board exists for a single generation, but it's theoretically possible

We already know that Ice Lake will be on a different socket, so compatibility isn't even an option there. The only hope of there being any kind of future support for Z370 is Cannonlake, but the latest rumours suggest that there won't be any desktop Cannonlake parts.

>Simply put, the first generation of 10nm requires small processors to ensure high yields. Intel seems to be putting the smaller die sizes (i.e. anything under 15W for a laptop) into the 10nm Cannon Lake bucket, while the larger 35W+ chips will be on 14++ Coffee Lake, a tried and tested sub-node for larger CPUs. While the desktop sits on 14++ for a bit longer, it gives time for Intel to further develop their 10nm fabrication abilities, leading to their 10+ process for larger chips by working their other large chip segments (FPGA, MIC) first.

macrumors.com/2017/08/15/intel-ice-lake-chips/

So where is the Z370 refresh coming from?

Same question to you, buddy.

Icelake is a new uarch which means it's a new socket. It's basically the 10nm equivalent of Sandy Bridge, Haswell and Skylake.

>release skylake, kabylake and coffeelake
>need to buy a new motherboard if you want to upgrade from sky- or kabylake to coffeelake

Can I safely overclock my R5 1600 with the stock cooler? Never overclocked before but going to read a lot of guides

i'm seeing 8600k demolishing ryzen 5 1600 in gayming whilst being just as fast in workloads/applications.
ryzen is still good, but i think we're going back to times where i5 cpus were used in 90% of gayming cpus.

sky lake to kaby lake brought 0% ipc improvement and slightly higher speed in exchange of higher temps. so when their 2 generations are basically the same shit then yes the "amd shills" are right

Yes. You can use Kabylake and Skylake share the same chipset. They didn't make you change chipset after Skylake. Now they have coffee lake and AMD shills are crawling out of the woodwork to say shit like Intel likes to do it. So show me examples.

>i'm seeing 8600k demolishing ryzen 5 1600 in gayming whilst being just as fast in workloads/applications.
For over 2x the price

Yes you can. AMD made their stock heatsinks really efficent. You'll probably hit 3.7ghz-3.9ghz depending on if you didn't lose the silicon lottery.

Yes, just make sure your temps don't get too high or the CPU will auto shutdown.
You can overclock some, but not all the way with the stock cooler. If you want to reach 4Ghz you need an aftermarket cooler.

>Moving the goalpost
That isn't the point bitch boy. user asked if
>So if I buy a Z370 with an 8700k I have no assurance that this motherboard will work with 9th gen Intel CPUs, right?

That has nothing to do with
>0% ipc improvement and slightly higher speed in exchange of higher temps. so when their 2 generations are basically the same shit

Fucking moron.

I'm
Not an AMD fanboy, though I believe the board is infested with them judging by the unhappiness masked by mockery generated by the new release.

I'm aware Cannonlake will probably not see a desktop release. How do you know Ice Lake will be a different socket?

Sweet.

if I buy ryzen I'll need to buy notX or a cheap new cooler till am4 bracket is delivered
if I buy i3 unlocked it should work with old cooler and has higher base clock but fewer cores
btw does ram freq make a single lick of difference for intel cpus like it does new amd cpus or if buying intel just stick with the rated 2400 freq? its only a $20 saving but is 2400 any more stable than 3200 in the real world?

>How do you know Ice Lake will be a different socket?
They don't. They just want to badmouth intel. Intel is shit and does a lot of shitty things. Spreading addition lies is stupid and makes you look idiotic.

What Intel CPUs are currently worth buying?
I have a good CPU already, but I'm interested in what use-cases Intel appeals to.

Only if you are doing high end gaming or applications that require high single core IPC. Otherwise stick to Ryzen.

Show me the last time you could drop in a new Intel CPU to your existing board and get a meaningful upgrade. Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge wasn't an upgrade thanks to the move to shitty TIM and lower clocks. Haswell to Devil's Canyon wasn't an upgrade, either in clocks or IPC. Devil's Canyon to Broadwell wasn't an upgrade due to much lower clocks caused by the L4 cache setup. Skylake to Kaby Lake gained you 200MHz at best with identical IPC and much higher temperatures.

Thank you based Intel?

>How do you know Ice Lake will be a different socket?

Because Intel have never released an entirely new microarchitecture on an old socket. Ice Lake is the first thing they'll have released in years that isn't Yet Another Skylake Refresh. You're living in some amazing fantasy world if you think it's is going to be LGA 1151.

Oh fuck off you dumb shill. I bet you were one of the ones saying that "we d-don't know!!!" if Coffee Lake will work in Z270 boards until a few weeks ago.

do you have a budget? if not and you have money to spend and you don't care about price / performance 8700k is the way to go.

I know you can oc the 1700 but can you oc the 1700x or 1800x or are the x series locked? If locked why would you ever buy them over the regular one?

Of course nobody "knows for sure". But all you have to do is look at the facts.
1) AMD has said to support Zen architecture and the AM4 socket for at least 4 years
2) Intel has a track record of changing the socket frequently.

Place you bets, idiot.

Games mostly, maybe streaming. The new CFL CPUs also do well in productivity but the value is more with AMD there.

1700x and 1800x are unlocked. the x refers to XFR which in simple terms means higher boost boost clocks, nothing else.

The only ones really worth anything are the Pentium G4560, a dual core with hyperthreading. It's basically a discounted i3. The other one work considering is the i7 7700k because it is the king of FPS. It's SHIT value though. You can get 90% of the performance for 2/3 the price by getting an AMD Ryzen 5 1600.

All Ryzens are unlocked. X series have higher base clock and are higher binned that potentially gives you extra 200mhz overclock.

Hurrr durrr. Bitchboy you missed my post here . KYS retard

>Oh fuck off you dumb shill. I bet you were one of the ones saying that "we d-don't know!!!" if Coffee Lake will work in Z270 boards until a few weeks ago.
I never said that because I am not stupid like you. I don't go around saying the next Intel gens won't work because Intel always change chipset always 1 gen and then proceed to give 0 examples.

>2) Intel has a track record of changing the socket frequently.
They change chipset every 2 gens. They have always done this. Why the fuck do you think they would suddenly reduce that cycle?

Holyshit, did all the AMD fanboys only build computers this year?

>For over 2x the price
intel 257 + 130 + 35 = 422
amd 195 + 80 = 275
that's not over 2x.
also i5 8400 (182 + 70 = 252) exists and might be even better price/perf for gayming

i was responding to
>All you cocksuckers please show me when did Intel change chipset after 1 generation
nigger

What can be expected from Zen refresh in 2018 and Zen 2 in terms of single core performance?

>we're still stuck with the same fucking nm size for CPU architecture
>we still haven't even perfected production of these fucking things after years and years, still get random impurities and shit
>not even trying to prefect it anymore, just selling the ones that come out shitty for a lot, that the ones that come out sort-of-okay for even more
>just throwing on more and more cores now
>intel shills calling the 8700k a "performance leap" for literally no reason
>price going up exponentially while performance just kind of trickles

What the FUCK you guys
ACTUAL fucking performance and technological leap WHEN?
RELIABLE fabrication method WHEN?

fucking CRYOGENIC ALLY FREEZE ME and WAKE ME UP when we have some actual NEW TECH WORTH PAYING MONEY FOR

Would an oc 1800x be a good pair with 1080ti for 1440p 144hz or do I need to wait for the 8700k coffee to perculate and become available?

No, you absolutely are stupid and are being willfully ignorant because you don't have any answers to the questions being asked of you. Let me ask you again: What CPU is going to drop into a Z370 board in the future? Remember that you can't say Ice Lake, because you're the one saying historical examples matter, and Intel do not release new microarchitectures on old sockets. They never have. So by your own logic, they won't be doing so this time either.

So Ice Lake is off the table. That leaves Cannonlake. Are you expecting a line of desktop Cannonlake chips? If so, why? What information have you heard that contradicts the industry information that Intel will only be using it for mobile and skipping ahead to Ice Lake on the desktop? What sources or reasonable doubt do you have to contradict this? Stop with your "abloobloobloo STOP BEING MEAN TO INTEL!!!" bullshit and answer some of the questions posed to you.

>They didn't improve so it doesn't count!!!!
Mental gymnastics idiot. That wasn't the point of this argument.

Wtf are you on about, faggot. Do you even know how fucking small 14nm is?

Zen+ will offer mostly just higher clocks. Like Intel's tick-tock for AMD.
Zen 2 is going to be the big jump.

NOT SMALL ENOUGH

>Because Intel have never released an entirely new microarchitecture on an old socket.
A good point. Mind it's quite possible to design a uArch around the same older socket.
So it's a reasonable chance, though not certain, it won't be compatible.

Hurrr durrrr. I was responding to this point
>most likely yes since intel likes to do that

Sure you can try and predict but again your guess is about as useful as mine. We only have historical data to use at this point and historical data shows that Intel despite what idiots in this thread say don't change their socket every gen.

Fucking idiot. If you have an concrete source that the 9th gen Intel CPU won't use the coffee lake chipset then post it.

>was about to buy a R5
>looking at the new intel chips
>don't know anymore

if they didn't improve then yes it literally does not fucking count.

I'm not quite sure but I think intels 7700k or 8700k are superior to 1800x because of the higher ipc. If I remember correctly higher ipc matters more on 1440p and beyond that. You should google some benchmarks and compare the prices and decide for yourself.

Wait for comprehensive reviews of the 8600K. Most of the CFL first looks were on the 8700K.

Just get the 7700k, they are marked down atm. Intel is the only option for fast refresh rates like on a 144hz monitor or 2x 90hz vr setup.

Just waitâ„¢.

It's certainly not impossible, no. AMD have done it in the past. Intel don't though. They release optimisations of existing ones, then move to a new socket. That's all Coffee Lake itself is, just with extra cores as well.

At least we have confirmation now that you're a fucking idiot who has no interest in facts and is just REEEEEEing because people are being mean to his favourite company. My guess IS more valuable than yours, because mine is an educated guess, based on reasonable analysis of both future and historical information. You, on the other hand, are just throwing a shitfit.

You were right in saying this thread can be garbage, but it's entirely because of people like you who are utterly blind and delusional about the brands they like.

youtube.com/watch?v=zUg9lJBbRDU&t

watch that and make a decision.

Coffee lake is out of stock until December anyway so might as well go with Ryzen

That isn't the question you moron.
Just because they didn't improve, doesn't mean they are suddenly not called 9th Gen intel CPU. But keep doing more mental gymnastics.

>Historical information
Show me when Intel changed chipset after 1 gen. Go ahead. Please. Intel always does it right?

>buy AM4 socket mobo
>will be supported until 2019
>buy 1151+ mobo
>unsure it will be supported by 2018, Intel can always pull another coffee lake
A very hard choice

>making youtube videos to show off charts
only children will watch this. make an article or fuck off.

Just because AM4 will be supported, that doesn't mean the chipsets will be.

you're retarded. intel can just keep releasing the same shit over and over again and you'll eat it up like an autistic child.

>Next coffee lake shipment expected December 6th

just

I have concrete confirmation that intel do change sockets after shrinking die

>make sub 14nm
>electrons jump the guard rail resulting in MORE instability
yeah nah ur a cunt

Source it then. Along with the confirmation of shrinking die.

You don't know what IPC means.

>Everyone is yelling about wanting to go lower than 14nm
>Intel themselves said that 10nm would result in worse performance

retard

Coffee Lake is irrelevant just for the simple fact that it's a paper launch.

What's a good bang for bucks CPU wise if I want into next-gen video compression (x265/AV1)?

That's due to worse yields, it's not an issue with shrinking per se.

Yes, it's not a very hard launch.

>buy intel cpu/mobo both have 3 year warranty
>buy amd cpu/mobo both have 3 year warranty
could see the logic in buying am4 if motherboards came with more than 3 year warranties but they don't in my country
I hear asrock do 5 year warranty though in japan which would be perfect, fuck regional policies

motherboards don't magically break after 3 years

>sold out instantly
>I-it's not relevant! This is a horrible launch!

Just wait for eternity.

it's sold out because the stock is very low. it was supposed to be releases in February and some shops in EU have reported they didn't get any cpus at all.

As a Hackintosh builder the Coffee Lake i3s are my most excited for.

We might finally see a budget 4k FCPX build that can pass BruceX with flying colors and beats many current Macs in both FCPX rendering and price

Intel should've released the i3 Coffee Lakes today. I don't know why they didn't.

If there are no chips to sell, supply can't keep up with demand, and prices start going up.
See: Vega.

I've been thinking. Should I even bother setting up a virtual machine build? I could just make a windows gaming pc and put a raspberry pi with linux in the same pc case and have them on simultaneously.
what should i do?

mine always tend to cark it after 4-4.5 years though that could just be incredibility bad luck/planned obsolescence

Retarded faggot, coffee lake is stillborn.

Now that Cofee lake beats Ryzen even in performance per dollar will the list be updated?

VM's are simpler to manage and have fewer points of failure.

This is basically how it feels
>wait for new intel chipset
>wait to see how good it is price/performance wise compared to AMD chipset
>oh look, there's a new AMD chipset
>wait to see how good it is price/performance wise compared to Intel chipset
>Oh look, there's a new Intel chipset
>repeat ad infinitum

Wait 3 months for coffee lake or buy a ryzen

hmmm...