YOU HAVE 28 SECONDS TO EXPLAIN WHY YOU DON'T KNOW PYTHON

>YOU HAVE 28 SECONDS TO EXPLAIN WHY YOU DON'T KNOW PYTHON
GO!

Other urls found in this thread:

daxx.com/article/python-developer-salary-usa
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I suffer from ophidiophobia.

Why bother learning something that's worth minimum wage? When I need to program something I will hire somebody to so it.

it's a snake, right?

The average Python developer salary in the US is over $100k per year.

daxx.com/article/python-developer-salary-usa

Where on earth is that "minimum wage"?

Cucklang and pajeetlang

It's slow

I have no need for it.

perl is better

I have a better question, why don't you know lisp?

I miss these {} curvey little bitches

I already know C and I’m learning Java, just for job reasons

I'm afraid of snakes

Umm, because it's for script kiddies, obviously?

You expect an interpreted language to be fast?

"If it can be done in five minutes, it's already done." -

Albert "Reply to this post or you mother will die in her sleep tonight" Einstein

I know the bare basics, could pick up anytime, but I don't know what the fuck do I do with any language, I don't have good imagination

The only reason for that is because Python is the machine learning language

In which case, it's not that Python is the reason why its salary is so high, but machine learning. And really, all the work being done is in C++

Doesnt use C syntax. So I dont care.

For scripting and prototyping I use Perl.

For actual programming and larger projects I use C++/Rust/C.

No reason to use Python.

> implying programming is a low-skill minimum wage job

my sides

Slow compared to... Are you one of those "I need ultra speed even if I'm reading 5 rows of a csv" kind of people? Ever heard of picking the right tool for the job?

Hardoo

They're paid for data science/machine learning stuff

As a non retard I know Python as well as multiple other languages (C#, C++, Java, ASM). Python is very useful when flexibility is needed, as the syntax is simple and the standard library large. When I am looking for speed, I go with C++ or if really need be ASM for parts of the program. Truly the whole anti Python movement on Sup Forums is shilled by a few brainlets who try to solve every problem with a hammer instead of suing the correct tool for the job

> Ever heard of picking the right tool for the job?
Problem is that Python has, or should have, a somewhat narrow use case, but Python fags think that absolutely everything in this world should be written in Python.
And in a lot of cases cases, Python means yet another wasted chunk of performance.

I write Python when it's the best tool for the job or project at hand. Other times, it's Go, Java, Ruby, or another language entirely. If you truly believe Python has a "narrow use case" go do a bit of research to check into that, it's a really narrow-minded way of thinking, especially for a developer.

Your answer really just oozes with megalomania ("python fags") and/or elitism ("has, or should have"). It's a good thing not everyone in the industry thinks and talks like this.

It is absolutely impossible for me to UNLEARN doing a semicolon after a line.
no brackets, whitespaces are no longer ignore by the compiler but dictated... I just cant do it.
And since I dont need it for anything, there you go. not gonna learn it.

>YOU HAVE 28 SECONDS TO EXPLAIN WHY YOU DON'T KNOW PYTHON
I don't know the exact syntax because I researched its semantics, runtime model, implementations, library ecosystem, deployment ecosystem and userbase and came to the conclusions that despite the huge amount of battery included and support the payoff isn't that great and that Python is in a technological dead end.

> despite all of the great features (lists them) the payoff isn't that great and that Python is in a technological dead end.

Care to support that python is a "technological dead end" (what does that mean even?) with any real information? Or was this conclusion just arbitrary?

> I write Python when it's the best tool for the job or project at hand.
That is the way it should be, good job, user.
> it's a really narrow-minded way of thinking, especially for a developer.
No, narrow-minded is thinking that Python should be used for everything.
> Your answer really just oozes with megalomania ("python fags") and/or elitism ("has, or should have"). It's a good thing not everyone in the industry thinks and talks like this.
Look whos talking.

I do tho.

Stating your opinion that Python "has, or should have, a somewhat narrow use case" isn't narrow-minded of you? Okay, lol

THEN WHY DID YOU REPLY

Already learning java

I learned the syntax, its fucking ugly and ambiguous
Why would I ever want to use it?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Why arent you learning Java right now?

thread should have ended right here
fuck you pajeets

> It's a good thing not everyone in the industry thinks and talks like this.
Aye, my fellow developer.
I too hate it when people talk like that here in Sup Forums, this is a professional environment after all.

this guy gets it

>programming language
>ambiguous

((((((((You tell me ))))))))

but i know python op

fuck

>not shilling out the ass and having logical opinions

Why are you here user, you are already successful

nodejs

Because... jews?

>Care to support that python is a "technological dead end" (what does that mean even?) with any real information?
There are two kinds of software:
a. actual worthwile non-trivial software that needs to satisfy certain requirements (performance, reliability, user friendlyness, deployability, and probably a few others)
b. script shit that gets washed away with the newest fad (web scripts, video downloaders, user scripts, service enabling stuff, machine learning memes that aren't actually used in an end product, that kind of thing, you get the idea)

Now, due to CPythons technicals it can only cater to b. CPython on the other hand will almost likely stay the reference implementation, due to the technical specs it hands down to the other implementations, like relying too much on bindings. From an engineering perspective bindings to another language are a compromise, liability and one serious obstacle to implementing software of type a. I could go in great detail, but you might web search that yourself.
At best, CPython might be a part of type a software to implement type b userscripts, like in Blender.
Even if PyPy or a Graal-based interpreter become the new reference, it isn't a big step up.

So for b. type software I might use another fad next rewrite as the costs aren't high.

And embedding the interpreter for user scripts might be a good choice to make sure that a language survives at all, but when embedding an interpreter myself I might use another fad, because there is nothing that makes CPython particularly great for this scenario. In fact, big parts of the community are opposed to this idea and the C API reflects it.
Now from the view of the user scripter that automates a type software with his b type scripts there is no incentive to properly learning the whole language.

TL;DR: There is no possible scenario that makes Python appealing in serious scenario and its implementation (but also its semantics) prevent it will ever become.

>I do not see the purpose of python or perl
Python falls into a niche with perl try finding out what it solves and maybe you'll be able to pull your arm out of your grandmothers asshole.

Not the point. They serve a purpose, but they have nothing about them that gives them an enourmous advantage to grow into a niche where they couldn't easily be replaced with X. And they can't gain such a thing because they handicap themselves.

>implying having motion critical legacy code is easy to replace
Sure

Did you mean mission critical ?

T. Pajeet

Actually having to learn it myself though

Python is pretty fast if PyPy is used as do Jython and IronPython by using the jit compilers of the vm they are built on.

fpbp

>IronPython
Oh shit, I never had the chance to work with this but really wanted to try back when I was working on a .Net environment.

With IP, you can call any library in .net framework right? If so, that's kickass.

I installed Gentoo

Ok

>Python
>mission critical code

>Python is pretty fast if PyPy is used as do Jython and IronPython by using the jit compilers of the vm they are built on.

Unfortunately, no they are not. 7x CPython speed avg is still rather slow.

Cause I'm on hour 7 of studying python god damn it.

I like to go to Python discussion threads where people post snippets of their code, find literally anything with an underscore in it, and say that code "isn't very pythonic."

>not understanding general IT don't know compiled languages

Because writing in a language and knowing a language are different things.

Forced spacing is aids

I'm the smallest of brainlets

it's more lucrative to know languages which every meme millennial doesn't know

Not sure what your point is. That is, if there ever was one.

>implying python is useless to know when its used by most companies for maintainable mission critical hack jobs by it staff.

>continues his autistic assblasting about compiled languages only languages

Any recommendations btw? I'm starting to learn with C and Haskell but i'm a hips ter and i want a language not everyone knows but is efficient and i can earn something with.

Just learn rust its as useless as you are.

Besides rust, which one is a nice language for me?

I know Lua!

Lua, chef, emojicode,lolcode,befunge,brainfuck,Ook!

Because I know python and c++

>Import retort

The answer to that picture is -27

The forced indentation makes running a lot of basic scripts with -c in a bash script or something not possible.

Because im a brainlet who doesn't know any programming languages at all

>a. actual worthwile non-trivial software that needs to satisfy certain requirements (performance, reliability, user friendlyness, deployability, and probably a few others)
>b. script shit that gets washed away with the newest fad (web scripts, video downloaders, user scripts, service enabling stuff, machine learning memes that aren't actually used in an end product, that kind of thing, you get the idea)
Jokes on you, 99.9999% of actual worthwhile non-trivial software is duct taped together using script shit.

I do.

It's the language we had to use in my first programming class.

fucc

I'm learning a useful language, ironically I'll probably drop it before I'm at an employable state but I digress.

Because I already know golang, c, javascript, ruby, and sql. Wtf do I need python for?

Webscraping

This.

6502 assembly was more fun

Progamming is to hard for me

Apparently, grammar is too

>I know SQL

You really don't. I bet you don't know how to generate a row number column that rolls over based on changes to a group of two columns.

I don't know what that even means

Table with two columns, Last Name and First Name. Order on Last Name & First Name. Looks like this:

Dictionary, Webster
Washington, George
Washington, Leonard

Write a column expression that would produce these row numbers:

1, Dictionary, Webster
2, Washington, George
2, Washington, Leonard

That's the general idea. If you can't do that baby shit, you don't know SQL.

i know

tried learning but stopped once i realized i had no plans to do anything with it, do wanna get back though

I don't want too.

>I bet you don't know how to generate a row number column that rolls over based on changes to a group of two columns.

pfttt that's so easy i'll bet your mom could do it while i'm bangin her from behind and talking her through it.

I know Lua.

DELET

I refuse to use such an utterly foolish programming language and be associated by normal python users. Entire python community isn't coherennt on what version to use, the authorities that be shill python 3 while any faggot knows that python 2.7 is the way to go. They fight among themselves over this shit reason. Not only this, python is an utterly slow meme of the decade language. It has no elegance, no practial use except for hobbyists who hack together pajeet tier code to do trivial shit. Only thing good about it is the sheer amount of libraries for it which has pushed this shitty language into the mainstream.
If your language doesn't has semicolons to terminate statements, you are not exactly a programmer