Discord now has video chat and screenshare

Where were you when Skype was kill?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/discordapp/status/916099932188061696
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What the fuck is Discord???

Does anyone else hate the way they type, constantly trying to be hip and cool?

everything tox wanted to be

So now they can watch you and your friends erp with each other?

discord is such a bloated piece of shite...
but unfortunatly ppl are like "ohmegee iz so ez to uze end combinient"
if you tell anyone you dont use discord theyre like "are you like antisocial or some shit? come to discord if you wanna talk"

Have you ever met anyone that's 20-30 and works at a start-up?
They're all like that.

lol

how is it bloated?

It's electron. How isn't it?

Runs off electron, but its mostly Sup Forums being autistic as ever about "Fucking normies, why don't you write bare metal software for my 2005 thinkpad runing gentoo REEEEEE"

Master of Chaos

It literally runs an entire web browser just to run a shitty colorful voice chat program with a built in irc client that does inline images.

I was using free as in freedom software and not your fucking botnet shit.

exactly as said

it's not, Sup Forums's just mad it didn't think of doing it first.

>Sup Forums is still so butthurt over tox that they wont admit the superiority of chinese botnet

what about tox? did something happen?
i tried it last year or smth, but "iz not combinient"

And is surely annoying as fuck.

Sup Forums decided to try and reinvent the wheel, a single person worked on 90% of tox, the guy running the website went rouge and they had to move
the move + the already unstable userbase + 5 billion autists flipping turds everywhere made it massively unappealing and all the developers left.

then discord came around and instead of reinventing the wheel they just added markdown and image previews to irc and made it run in a web browser so all OSes can run it and Sup Forums shit its pants in frustration because they can't support skype but don't want to officially support discord since it just reminds them of their failure.

>reinvent the wheel
tox wasnt reinventing the wheel, it was decentralized. afaik the first decentralized chat

>the guy running the website went rouge and they had to move
when did that happen? maybe it was around the time i tried it

you have to admit though, discord is really shite... a fancy IRC client that takes up 500MB of RAM?

yeah, reinventing the wheel. the chat wheel. jesus.

so youre saying creating new/better cars/computers/w.e. is reinventing the wheel?

30% cpu usage with discord vs
5% with teamspeak AND irc AND superiour quality

:thinking:

twitter.com/discordapp/status/916099932188061696

this is the power of the modern "male"

fucking hate discord, gay gamer shit

why are moderns so pathetic?

Jesus christ all the modern "humor" and XD SO RANDOM bullshit.

Using Wire, which is more of Skype replacement, and has had this for months, if not longer. Discord is a closed-source IRC replacement with extra features.

Are they making a profit yet? If so, how?

if it's doing tbe same damn thing, yes.

Sure tox is decentralized, but who gives a shit? I just want to tall with friends in video games or in general, not share tax fraud information.

Discord is just easy to use, works on everything, and get's the job done without being annoying.

It's not hard to understand why people use it.

> 30%

Stop using a toaster for discord

I'm not really a fan of electron apps, but it's not that bad on memory usage

That's actually pretty impressive, if they can keep shit that low.

I hate it, but I still love Discord as a platform.

I think most people hate their "lolz memes!" PR and as such refuse to switch from Skype, TS, etc.

It definitely helped them build their initial user base though. I can't imagine them growing as much as they did if they didn't appeal to all the meme-y gamers from League of Legends et al.

>I think most people hate their "lolz memes!" PR and as such refuse to switch from Skype, TS, etc.
I refuse to use it because they aren't E2E encrypted or open source, and because they aren't clear on how they are going to make money, which leads me to believe datamining.

I definitely wouldn't put anything important on there, somewhere in their ToS or EULA I think there is a clause saying they can claim the rights to any file or image shared through the platform.

I thought this was funny. I use discord. I am generally happy. My dog.

does that lamp have a weird tubby cord?

My kneejerk reaction is that this computer is jammed in your bedroom. If I had to guess why, I would say because you're living in your parent's house. If this is the case, it doesn't say much about you as a person, but does say a bit about how exposed you are to reality, presuming you've never moved out on your own. It's like finding Conker's Bad Fur Day funny. It was something new at the time, so it caught people off guard, but there's no nuance to the humor by today's standards.