Anyone buy one of these already...

Anyone buy one of these already? I'm thinking of getting one because I want a pocket-sized GNU/Linux computer to bring around with me. An N900 would be ideal, but it's out of my price range at the moment. They keyboard looks like trash, but it'll do for the price they're asking and I don't plan on gaming on it.

Other urls found in this thread:

swling.com/blog/2017/09/london-shortwaves-innovative-pocketchip-powered-field-portable-sdr/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm planning on buying a ODROID-C2 + a 3.5 inch display and a powerbank to use it on the go.
and i'm not quite sure how they work, but i'm under the impression I can buy a simcard and pay for internet access anywhere, like a phone

I have one because for some absurd reason my GF bought like 5 of them from their kick starter. Yes the keyboard is absolutely horrible and shouldnt exist. Their included software is shit. iirc their GUI only allows 6 apps to be present, and and if you open an app, switch to the home screen and the click the app icon again, it launches a new instance instead of switching to the previously running instance. I took one from her and just use it as a file share witness for clusters. If you're looking for what is basically a RasPi but with wifi instead of ethernet, and a shitty cable and touch screen, this is the device for you.

yo the fuck is this
i was considering an ouya or whatever but considering it's in development hell i wouldn't mind looking into this

>shitty cable
shitty keyboard.

Also it isnt pocket sized at all unless you're talking about like cargo pants/BDU leg pockets. And it has a obnoxious LED that never turns off when it is on.

Ha, I accidentally bought two cause I got drunk and forgot I preordered the first one and went back later. The keyboard isn't even that terrible for what it is, the layout of the number keys gets me more than anything.

Their software is a shit debian but the GUI stuff that could actually be useful is mostly hardcoded somewhere. Still, as a minimalist desktop/terminal machine it's not the worst. Plus it has exposed GPIO and serial and things. It could be a lot worse but it is not a UMPC or anything like that.

Sounds pretty garbage then. Do you know of any alternatives that are similarly priced? Preferably something pre-made or easy to assemble because I don't have access to soldering equipment where I am.

Any phone running andriod

Android is not GNU/Linux. I need a full terminal solution and Termux is not enough.

These are neat but what is the intended use? I can't think of anything that wouldn't be better covered by a phone/laptop/raspi.

emulating really low requirement games and makey project shit

can someone convert 1/8" to a decent unit?

A raspi would work just fine. The PocketChip is essentially just a dock for the $9 Chip. If I could find something like this for Raspi that would be fine too, it's just this is the entire unit for $69 and I don't think you could find a Raspi and a preassembled "dock" for the same price.

(1/8)=>(0.125)(2.54)=0.3175mm

0.3175 cm sorry

thx

why not call it a "3.5mm JACK" like everyone else in the entire planet? its the first time ive seen 1/8"

well it's also got the extra connector for video, I think? It's got composite out or something available through it.

How new are you?

Yeah, lots of people call it a 3.5mm jack, but 1/8th isn’t uncommon.
Besides, the 1/8th inch jack is the only one that get referred to in mm. The other sizes are 1/4” and 1/16”.

so does the rbpi, they call it a composite 3.5mm jack

im newborn

maybe in murica, in countries with metric system theyre 1.5, 3.5 and 6.5 (even thouhgh its not actually 6.5)

How about flashing linux into like NEC P300, GPD Pocket, vaio type U/P, Sigmarion 3?

What's the battery life like?

GPD Pocket optionally comes with linux preinstalled.

Because the PocketChip is $69. If I could afford a GPD or Vaio I'd go for those or an N900 but I can't for now. I'm looking for something around the same price as the PocketChip and with similar specs. The NEC and Sigmarion don't come close.

can you install another OS later?

Fujitsu FMV-BIBLO LOOX U/G90 ? At 150USD on Japanese Amazon it's not too expensive but still double OP's pic's price. CPU is atom probably should be even more powerful than N900? But then it is 1.4kg in weight despite a relative compact forn factor of 334×266×152mm

I ran across this a while back and thought it was neat:
swling.com/blog/2017/09/london-shortwaves-innovative-pocketchip-powered-field-portable-sdr/

Basically the guy hooked up a radio receiver on a USB stick to it so he can go to a park, set it up to record the entire spectrum, and then go home and listen to shortwave radio without interference at home.

Yep, I've got a little multimeter board I've been meaning to fasten to one of my pocketchips. A little screen battery and keyboard + whatever expansion board you want and you have a nice little tool for whatever.

Not for solo use, not for video. Audio is fine.

Isn't this object just an excuse to sell weak outdated boards to people?
Odroid is probably a better investment.

Not really, the chip is a new board. Newish SoC too, just not high power.

post pic of gf

I bought one, played with it for 10 mins, said "...cool" and put it on the shelf where it's been ever since.

no. pic related though, Sup Forumsgf best gf

My ancient PDA has a better screen and keyboard
And yes, can also run lunix

chroot

the fuck

>gf is retarded
I'm so sorry

Its a valentines day card that is really well made. Heavy stock paper which has been laser cut and etched. You can even see all the kekstikas. It talks about how she was glad to submit to the patriarchy.

>i wish i had something to do besides fap to traps

Android phones can run any ARM linux distro if it's rooted.

I have one, I use it to play Crab Crusher.

Some Sup Forumstard is making games for the thing and it's hilarious though.

I have one
Honestly a N900 is a better deal
Maybe try termux?
>5 of them
Wtf why
This shit isn't even cheap

Child's first autism
Or a really polished raspberry pi portable for the faggot who can't solder or stand the sight of cables

Good
Pretty hard blow through in one sitting unless you're really trying hard

Same

Just booted it up for this post and it's still got juice

I'm honestly impressed with the standby

There are replacement "launchers" that allow more than 6 apps plus you can control + tab between windows

But yeah super shitty screen in every aspect
>too low res so most guis struggle to work
>shit resistive touch screen
Don't even have to say anything about this
>shit colors and stuff, which is expected I guess

Süper shitty keyboard that both has horrible feel and not lit in anyway so good luck in the dark

There's a fork of pocket home that's actually useful

Best
Congrats user

So you're both edgelords, or you're so fucking desperate for pussy that you will date a neo-nazi.

Grats you fleshwaste.

enjoy your traps sweetie

These things actually ship?

They shipped last year, no idea how they're doing this year.

miring the design and execution. cool

Want.