Microsoft Edge for iOS and Android

Finally, Microsoft Edge is available on mobile devices! Releasing for iOS and android.

It's time to throw your shitty chrome and Safari botnet browsers in the trash, the king is here.*

(* Does not use the EdgeHTML rendering engine, uses WebKit on iOS and Blink on Android)

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2017/10/05/microsoft-edge-ios-android-developer/amp/
blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/10/05/announcing-microsoft-edge-for-ios-and-android-microsoft-launcher/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Links
blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2017/10/05/microsoft-edge-ios-android-developer/amp/

blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/10/05/announcing-microsoft-edge-for-ios-and-android-microsoft-launcher/

sage

>Implying Microsoft isn't botnet as well.

I literally quit using Swiftkey the second microsoft bought it
Why would I use their botnet browser?

>(* Does not use the EdgeHTML rendering engine, uses WebKit on iOS and Blink on Android)
lol

The User Agent strings are a hybrid monstrosity

Microsoft Edge for iOS user agent string

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 10_3_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/603.2.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/14F89 Safari/603.2.4EdgiOS/41.1.35.1

Microsoft Edge for Android user agent string

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 8.0; Pixel XL Build/OPP3.170518.006) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/58.0.3029.0 Mobile Safari/537.36EdgA/41.1.35.1

edge would be interesting if it supported chrome extensions on android

Guaranteed to be inferior to BB10OS's stock browser

Fascinating. Great job saving those two characters, by the way, the re and the space.

so how many more months until the Surface Phone is released with a heavily modified Android build?

>putting phone model in user agent
>putting android version in user agent
lol literally why make your users easier to track

>cant tell if fucking retarded and missed an obvious joke or just new as fuck to Sup Forums

What rendering engine did that use?

mexico

meh

Webkit

Whats the point even? At least on Android they should have used edgehtml

>a broswer i won't use is coming to a platform I will use
ok

>blink engine
dropped

>implying people who use edge know what a browser is

Did the screen survive?

It's too bad the desktop version is still using the Edge rendering engine.

Until Edge is capable of remembering different zoom levels for different sites, it's unusable IE-tier trash.

if you can do so on android/ios already
then you'll be able to do it on edge on android/ios

because porting over a component that is so heavily integrated within windows will be a bitch and they need an edge browser out like fucking last year

B O T N E T
O
T
N
E
T

I support this if it means killing IE faster

This will mean more extensions for edge, right?

no. why would it?

If more people use edge browser then it would give incentive to have more extensions for edge. I don't think they'll be as restrictive with extensions if it uses webkit or blink engines.

Why the fuck does MS use Blink instead of its own engine? Android is not Webkit only platform like iOS for god's sake.

It would be a huge amount of work to port the edgeHTML engine when google's blink engine for chromium already works on android

So it's a big fat nothingburger then?

maybe the number of users will have an effect. however, extension development won't change. edge for android and ios will not have extensions, and edge on desktop will still use edgeHTML with the same extension environment as usual. nothing is changing there.

I know for sure an adblocker for edge on mobile will happen at least. Even firefox on mobile doesn't have a lot of extensions because of how limited the mobile experience is

That's true of desktop firefox too now...

Ultimately yes. Edge being on more platforms means syncing isn't a problem and therefore less people will want to move to alternative browsers encouraging more to port over their extension to Edge.

Legacy extensions still work you know and any extension worth using is getting ported or a replacement is already available. Give it time and it'll be back to normal soon enough.

Vimperator isn't.
Many others aren't either.

>I know for sure an adblocker for edge on mobile will happen at least
what makes you so sure? edge on windows phone has no extensions, including no ad blocker.

>edge on windows phone has no extensions, including no ad blocker.
Nobody used windows phones so no extensions got made. All windows mobile combined had 1% of the market and within that 1% bracket windows 10 mobile was less than even 20% of that bracket last time I checked.

i would bet money that edge on android and ios will not get extensions any time soon. if microsoft change their decision to include extensions on windows phone, only then may android and ios get extensions.

aside from anything else, they would have to build a whole new extension store or something. at the moment, edge extensions are distributed via the windows store.

But MS's vision is for seamless switching between desktop and mobile workflows. For sync to work it needs to match not just your bookmarks, history and preferences but also your extensions

It'll get adblocker definitely, that's going to happen at the very least

Unless it's a perfect clone of Edge on Windows mobile I'm not interested

Why does it have to be a perfect clone? Mobile browsing will always be inferior to desktop

And into the trash can it all goes...

>Cant play webms

Who cares?