/bsd/ BSD General

/bsd/ BSD General
Talk about BSD here and what you use it for. Keep all GNU/Linux shit in /fglt/ or /flt/ thank you very much. Please do not devolve this into BSD vs GPL license fighting.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_FreeBSD
repology.org/statistics/newest
openbsd.org/62.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=openbsd laptop&go=Go&searchToken=amtu6kkfqszsjd6s8n6exd1h5
freebsd.org/news/status/report-2017-04-2017-06.html
freebsd.org/advocacy/myths.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what can I do in BSD that I cannot do in Lenax?

nothing.
you just get the benefit of not using clusterfucked GNU code
then again, busybox exists.

connect wifi with ifconfig

Linux is mainstream, BSD is elite.

My home server is running Gentoo. Are there any good reasons to switch it to a BSD?

Effective, safe sandboxing. Docker and LXC are cheap imitations.

You can run Gentoo/FreeBSD kek

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_FreeBSD

Seriously though... ZFS that isn't shit is about the only reason

I'm actually installing and setting up FreeBSD on one machine right now just to see how it will be in daily use on desktop out of interest

Proprietary cucks.

Gentoo kFreeBSD is a dead project and totally redundant. And ZFS on Linux isn't significantly different from that on FreeBSD, despite what other people would say.

Like literally any other Linux desktop, except with probably older and buggier packages.

It makes you feel special and better than all the GPL zealots and their wrong definition of freedom.

Install TrueOS. They have their own binary package manager and just overall better desktop packages.

I have a pfSense router/firewall and an Alphastation DS10 running http/https/ftp/sftp/bittorrent/ssh on OpenBSD

I've also got NetBSD on a few VAXen, but they could do with more RAM. If I get some I'll probably run a BBS and mailserver.

>modern BSDs on VAX
it must run like shit

Use decades obsolete hardware and CPU architectures out-of-the-box.

you can use pf for firewalling

Boot times are horrible, but it's fine for running CLI programs and simple servers once it's got going. If you don't care about updates you'd be better off with something like OpenBSD 1.5 though.

Forget about compiling the ports tree...

well netbsd was designed around cross-compilation, wasn't it?

stop spreading bullshit

What have I said that you believe is untrue?

>Please do not devolve this into BSD vs GPL license fighting
lol, the only thing about bsd worth discussion
so if you wish we could discuss (shit on each other) again whether corporations are good ore evil

>It makes you feel special
like a cuck?

People should be free do make proprietary forks of my software.

>People should be free to cuck me
thanks for clarifying

You're welcome. And there is nothing wrong with proprietary software.

>there is nothing wrong with proprietary software
Only if it's some inhouse software of a company. It's unacceptable on average user's pc

Wrong. If regular users want to use proprietary software, they should have the FREEDOM to do so. This is what GNU zealots are trying to prevent by redefining words and imposing their own views onto everyone else.

the freebsd package repo is more up to date than most Linux repos

repology.org/statistics/newest

I'm more of an OpenBSD guy myself but I only use it on my home servers.

By the way, OpenBSD 6.2 has been released.

openbsd.org/62.html

It's lighter, simpler, and in the case of OpenBSD it's far more stable and secure and it runs on a wide variety of legacy architectures. It's ideal for servers, routers, and miscellaneous embedded stuff. I wouldn't say that BSD is all that great for desktop use but it has it's place in other things.

If you want to tinker with Gentoo that's totally your choice. I'm just lazy and OpenBSD does all the work for me while remaining very secure and stable which is why I use it on my servers.

You'll probably end up switching back to GNU/Linux for desktop use. But go ahead and try it.

TrueOS is terrible. It crashes in VirtualBox of all things and won't even boot on half my old generic Core2 hardware. The few machines it does boot on, the installer crashes. I've tried 32 and 64 bit images, latest and stable ones. It's just crap.

that's a draft page. at the top it says the release date is the 15th.

what about sacrificing freedom of retarded users to cuck themselves and make them more free?

>openbsd.org/62.html
Fug, I skipped right over that. Thanks for correcting that. I'm a little disappointed that I'll have to wait.

>It's unacceptable on average user's pc
Imagine actually caring so much about this.

Not him but he's sort of right. All device drivers and BIOS firmware need to be open source the user should be allowed to choose whether or not they'd like to keep a closed source OS or install something different. Anything else and you're just gobbling the corporate cock.

>sacrificing freedom
You answered your own question.
Exactly. Who cares what other people do? If they cared about these things, then they would have the knowledge necessary to know how to avoid proprietary software.

Please stop posting frog images. They aren't even relevant to our discussion.

>nothing wrong with being a cuck
lad...

>and make them more free
I answered my own question.

see, retarded logic can be applied to prove that any of us is right

There isn't.

I don't have a cuck picture tho. Mind posting a selfie, if you insist on keeping this relevant?

How about you lighten up and pull that stick out of your butt? They're just cartoon frogs, m8.

You can't gain more freedom by limiting it.

I just find them aesthetically repulsive and would prefer that you knock it off before you trigger me.

>all these new ARM drivers
pretty cool

Would you prefer some cartoon kids so you can jerk it off?

Yes, please.

you kept doing this exact same shit months ago

fuck off

I find your attitude towards my frogs to be repulsive, you fag. What are you going to do about it? That's right, nothing.

>anonymous boards are hard to use
wew...

so are you going to put your money where your mouth is and only buy hardware with open firmware, and reverse engineer existing firmware to write free equivalents?

Imagine a situation: 2 people are asked to move to prison, they have to choose one and can't be separated. One of them wants this and other one doesn't. If they move they will both lose their freedom, however first one will not notice it. If they don't, first person's freedom to do whatever he wants will be violated. So should the second person carry about first one's shitty freedom to choose if he is retarded so much that he wants to move to prison? What if we replace first one with a monkey that is beaconed with food that's inside of prison? You have to accept that most people are retarded and have to be forced to make right desicion for common good. From other point of view they should not be allowed o make this decision because they are too stupid to understand.

They should be allowed. That's what freedom entails. Stop trying to redefine freedom.

I'm going to filter you.

Read the code and mantain your sanity.

Both bsd and gpl are free licenses. Bsd because it ALLOW monkey to move to prison, gpl because it forbids it to move to PRISON. The question is not whether gpl is free licence or not. The question is which one is better.
>Stop trying to redefine freedom.
Stop spreading bullshit

I'm not spreading bullshit, GPL zealot. The GPL is NOT a free license by the TRUE definition of freedom. Not you fake one.

>They should be allowed.
Stop projecting yourself to monkey. Imagine being a human. Would you like to be enslaved because monkeys want this?

If talking about monkey alone than yes. But there are 2 entites envolved. It's a society and things are a bit more complicated.

Go for it. Nothing of value will be lost when I no longer interact with you.

I glad to know that we've come to a mutual agreement.

Yes, because that's what freedom entails.
No it isn't. And your monkey metaphor is condescending. All people have the devices necessary to choose the software that's in their best interest.

I still don't know how you're going to filter me when I post here anonymously.

> Yes, because that's what freedom entails.
>I want to sacrifice my freedom because muh someone else's freedom.
KEK
>And your monkey metaphor is condescending. All people have the devices necessary to choose the software that's in their best interest.
no, most people don't seem to be nobel prize winners and actually are retarded a lot

FreeBSD makes for a usable desktop, you'd hardly tell the difference and it has gaems via Linux compat and WINE. I like OpenBSD as a desktop too as you now have no choice but to run free software if that matters to you, and the system is very neat with well thought out defaults. FreeBSD is a bit less unified and many of the defaults are questionable.

The problem with FreeBSD is that it tries to please everyone and in doing so it fails to please anyone. OpenBSD is superior because it's made by the devs for the devs and they just share their work with you. That's how it should be. If I was going to make my own operating system I'd do it just like the OpenBSD guys do it.

I tend to agree, FreeBSD is a bit of a mess compared to a polished and integrated OS like OpenBSD or Ubuntu. On the other hand FreeBSD reminds me the old days of Linux where I did learn a lot just by getting the heap of shit working how I needed, so for the hobbyist it's worth taking for a run. But even back then I learned a lot about how a system should be configured by using OpenBSD as a reference.

Why shouldn't the hardware be open source too?

>tries to please everyone
FreeBSD actually seems to care more about big companies than desktop users.
Still usable as a desktop.

anyone want to add me on steam and we can play some *bsd games together?

I'm running NetBSD on one of my retro machines. I have a Pentium Pro 200 running NetBSD 7.1, and it's surprisingly usable. Certainly uses less system resources and disk space than a recent Linux version would.

Is uwm usable?

how do I security updates freeBSD?

is ther ea s imple comannd.

freebsd-update or something

freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install
pkg update
pkg upgrade

Is there a way to do this for -head or do I have to build from source if I want to track current?

I have no idea, for FreeBSD. On OpenBSD there are binary snapshots of -current. Check if there's something similar: if so, you'll never be more than a week behind head.

I'd assume that's either a consequence of NetBSD being a smaller project or because it was made with the express purpose of having maximum portability. A smaller project theoretically means that the overall quality of code is more uniform because there's less committers. Prioritizing maximum portability probably also ensures that code is held to a higher standard such that it runs efficiently across multiple architectures. Otherwise, it may just be a simple matter of Linux not being a complete operating system unto itself, so there's less importance stressed upon an individual implementation of something to be the absolute best at what it does. Thereby leading to various Linux distros mixing and matching different software, some being more or less bloated than others, others less efficient or more.

That's my two cents anyhow. Granted, I'm no kernel developer, so what do I know?

I'm interested in OpenBSD, but know next to nothing about hardware. Like, I just want to buy a laptop or something then get everything to just werk.

Search "openBSD laptop" on the search engine of your choice.

I tried freebsd on my laptop it doesnt like it.i think it has to do with the intel graphics

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=openbsd laptop&go=Go&searchToken=amtu6kkfqszsjd6s8n6exd1h5

Needs wpa_supplicant tho.

I use FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD.

The way it is currently, freebsd-update only works for -RELEASE. Packaged base, once it's completed, could in theory be used to set up poudriere to build packaged base on any of the branches, but will probably only be officially supported for -RELEASE.

-RELEASE is basically the end-goal for all development happening in HEAD as it gets merged down from -CURRENT to various -STABLE branches and eventually onto -RELENG for a particular -STABLE branch after it's seen enough testing in -CURRENT and -STABLE.
It's what people are supposed to use unless you're looking to develop against FreeBSDs kernel in which case you'll be wanting to run some some form of -CURRENT that you manually 'make release' on (like Netflix and TrueOS does, but it's a lot of work - requiring essentially their own release engineering).

even if bsd is better (which i dont see why it is) it suffers from lack of software.

I use pkgsrc on Debian 9 for some stuff. Am i redeemable? Should i kms?

Even FreeBSD guys themselves realize they're a joke, why would they start a report with freebsd.org/news/status/report-2017-04-2017-06.html
>FreeBSD continues to defy the rumors of its demise.

That's a paraphrase of something Samuel Clement once said, you illiterate fuckwit.

Perhaps the next OP should remember to link freebsd.org/advocacy/myths.html as it seems every GPL zealot and GNU troll to post in this thread inevitably hits all of these myths one after another.

systemd port when?

>lack of software
25 thousands ports in port tree

retarded?

this

fuck off with GPL cancer

To the GPL/GNU cuck crusaders:

GPL
- From Developer's perspective: If the third party changes my code they have to release source, and also make it GPL.
This doesn't promote would be changes and enhancements in commercial environments where the closed source is preferred,
like Adobe Photoshop where they would basically go from selling software to selling support for the software.

- From user perspective: You don't care it's free to use.

BSD
- From Developer's perspective: I'm such a bad ass programmer that I let anyone do anything they want with my
chad code as long as my copyright info is preserved. This promotes changes and enhancements in commercial environments in which
they contribute the code back to BSD.

- From user perspective: You don't care it's free to use.

"software that respects my freedom" must be one of the
worst laments freetards produced in this century

This must be posted every BSD thread, any other links that bust common trolls and myths about BSD?

Anybody tried fuguita?

Why are programmers so out-of-tune when it comes to artistic designs?

Do you see this mascot? No one likes that design. This OS will always remain niche with a designs like that.

I'm not here trying to troll or anything. I'm just telling it like it is. Same with Tux. A psychopathic-looking penguin with a blank stare and manboobs.