/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%

$ info %command%

$ help %command%

$ %command% -h

$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?

$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.kember.net/articles/reisub-the-gentle-linux-restart/
youtube.com/watch?v=JnfzmMddng8
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for shitposting

Second for Debian best distro

Literally has it all, Stable for servers/people that just want it to werk, Testing for middle of the road fucks, and Sid for bleeding edge goodness with good safeguards like apt-listbugs

>plebian

ITT: Things you wish you knew when you were starting to use GNU/Linux

blog.kember.net/articles/reisub-the-gentle-linux-restart/

>Holding down Alt and SysRq (which is the Print Screen key) while slowly typing REISUB will get you safely restarted. REISUO will do a shutdown rather than a restart.

For when your computer hangs and xkill can't fix it, you don't have to risk data corruption by holding down the power button. You can just do this and be safe.

void linux?

will installing gentoo give me super cow powers?

why are we so dead

youtube.com/watch?v=JnfzmMddng8

non linux?

When do you guys think 4.15 will be released?

When it's done.

December, probably. Maybe January.

after linus's tear jar is full of the crushed hopes and dreams of those that thought they could sully the release with their pitiful code

I hope so.

>Switched from Firefox nightly to Opera for its better optimizations and feature set.

Is Firefox Quatum more stable and optimised(especially when watching youtube videos)? Sometimes watching youtube videos causes my cpu to go upto 80C.

Best systemd free distro?

Archlinux.

Just stream it with mpv.
Debian, Fedora, RHEL, Suse Enterprise, Open Suse, Arch, Exherbo, NixOS, Ubuntu

Used to use Void, it was fantastic. Switched to Slackware, also very nice. Main difference I've seen in practice is Void takes less setup time but is a little less stable due to rolling-release, and lacks good documentation.

>Main difference I've seen in practice is Void takes less setup time but is a little less stable due to rolling-release, and lacks good documentation.
Void and Slackware have practically the same install process. It's simply that with Slackware you have a lot of package sets. The init systems are significantly different and are kind of a huge thing that you would know about if you actually knew what you were doing. They have totally different package managers and packaging policies. Slackware and Void are nothing alike. They are two completely different distros, and the fact that you aren't aware of that and are willing to mislead someone into thinking otherwise just shows how shallow your understanding really is.

Rolling release means more up-to-date means more secure.

>more secure
No it doesn't, you fucking potato.

>sit on linux kernel 3.whatever
>use old versions of everything
>practically a sitting duck
don't come crying to me when you get rooted

You forgot something
>security patches
>don't introduce new packages with new features and new bugs

im about to install xubuntu on my t430. This will be my first distro. thoughts?

>security patches
>but only if your distro's maintainers can be bothered
>they've already demonstrated that they can't

Ah, yes, because Mint devs are of comparable competency to actual, quality enterprise projects like RHEL. And there aren't rolling release distros of poor quality that break things by introducing new, broken packages without sufficient prior testing.

good choice

bad choice

>>A rolling release model doesn't inherently mean more secure
>That must mean that you think dot releases are better. Fuck you and your opinion!

Please don't compare Mint to distros like Arch and Fedora.

Please don't compare Arch to distros like Fedora and Debian.

For those that compile, do you have a separate VM/other solution to keep package dependencies and conflicts away from your main install?

That's the fucking point.

Never compared Arch to Debian. Arch is clearly better than Debian for all but the most idiosyncratic sysadmin.

Like chroots? Or an actually good package manager that handles dependency trees properly?

fucking hell guys, heres the problem, i cant install arch or anything that will take time to learn (i have 0 gnu/linux experience) i need a light distro right now that will make my laptop work for university, kind of tired of window's bullshit. im dualbooting arch on my desktop at home tho then switch to arch on my laptop when im efficient with arch.
so tell me again why is xubuntu (or any os really) bad for research and writing some essays?

Why would I need to do that? Package managers are literally designed to handle dependencies like that.

Having an operating system that doesn't shit itself every other day isn't pedantic.

>im dualbooting arch on my desktop at home tho then switch to arch on my laptop when im efficient with arch.
too tired to write, i butchered that sentence kek

>Arch is clearly better than Debian
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
>It has also never been a distribution offering much user freedom / choice compared to Gentoo and even Debian
>Arch is the *opposite* of a user-centric freedom. The opinion of users has no weight here. Only the developers have an opinion, and there aren't voting systems as there are in Debian
>It has always used significantly more disk space and a measurable amount of additional memory than Debian and especially Gentoo as a consequence of keeping things simple (again, from a development perspective)
Enjoy getting fucked by the devs.

>pedantic
Where did that adjective come from?

help

From your post.

Try again.

Pedanticism--formalism, the need for perfection is an idiosyncratic quality.

Not all forms of idiosyncrasy are pedantic.

not much to help there.
Either start the wms with the suggested commands with the generic VGA driver or download another distro where the kernel modesetting and the xorg graphic driver can work together. nomodeset should always be a last resort and needing to use that indicates problems.

xubuntu is both light and good for beginners, xfce is easy to customize

I appreciate the fact that you're conveniently ignoring the crux of my argument, which wasn't even in defense of a point release cadence but rather just a criticism of your assertion that all distros with a rolling release cadence are secure.

My assertion was that "stable" distros are generally insecure, not that all rolling release distros are secure.

quick question, can i get a tiling wm on it?

Was for the original version of

yes, just install the vm and from the login screen choose that rather than xfce. There is an option for this in every X login manager somewhere.

Yes.
I know.
And my argument is that rolling distros can easily do just as bad a job with security as stable distros. And, as such, good, professional enterprise distros can easily exceed the quality of some 16-year-olds hobby project. And of the advantages that a rolling release model can provide for desktop, better security is not something that is guaranteed if there isn't proper auditing.

another dumbass question lol, i have intel, should i be worried about the amd64 (pic related). i see no other download on the website

amd64 is an architecture.

>Like chroots?
I don't know, I was hoping someone could tell me.
>actually good package manager that handles dependency trees properly
>Package managers are literally designed to handle dependencies
What happened is kinda like this: I installed a package X, which bundles packages A and B. B is already installed on the system. Then I go to remove package X, and it pulls A, but also B. This then uninstalled packages that depended on B. What would your package manager do?

no

the vast, vast majority of 64-bit consumer intel cpus use amd64

>being a RAMlet

thanks

AMD "invented" the x86-64 extension to the old 32bit x86 architecture, that's why OS' call it "amd64" sometimes.

You should be worried about Intel ME.

>with the generic VGA driver
as in "disable" the graphics card in windows or rip it off the PC so it use the generic VGA?

> another distro
not an option

>> another distro
>not an option
It's the same operating system.

>as in "disable" the graphics card in windows or rip it off the PC so it use the generic VGA?

Yes. Similar to when you uninstall your graphic drivers or boot windows in VGA mode. Xorg can fall back to generic VGA if no other drivers work. Expect no graphic acceleration, no wide resolutions and increased CPU usage.

Thanks, will try.

other distros have systemd
other distros don't have grsec
other distros don't use tor

this is why i'm trying to get this one working

>install debian- or literally any other minimal install
>have more freedom, more minimalism, and less bloat than arch
Remind me, why do people use Arch? It's not minimal, and the rolling release development isn't unique - but what is is the devs anti-user practices, such as adoption of systemd for no benefit (it wasn't even discussed) to the end user, with the sole reason being benefit to the developer. Not to mention the shipped kernel is bloated with every module under the sun.

Just be flexible. There are plenty of distros without systemd; grsec is snake oil, but if you really must use it, you can just build from source; tor is insecure but, again, you can just grab the binary from the official site.

Just because a distro doesn't "have" a package doesn't mean that you can't get it. It just mean that they're not going to spoonfeed you.

If it's dev friendly it means it's easier to port all sorts of packages that wouldn't be as convenient to get working on other distributions, I have nothing against Debian, I actually use it too, but I also need Arch for different packages available on the aur like modules for various network adapters I need, RAM and disk space are not an issue for me.

What is Github?

If you build a new computer. How do you load the epoch on it? If it doesn't sync from online is it just what ever the user set? Is there a hardware clock that knows the epoch?

I just said it is more convenient.

hardware clocks know the local or UTC time. You sync it with time servers using ntp or similar. Then your OS will calculate the epoch.

How would I correct the epoch if it is on an air gapped network? Or is all bets off?

Pretty sure that whole stupid reply chain came from a post comparing void and slackware.

i have a raspberry pi running a samba server for local file sharing. No problem to access with windows

now i want to access the files and folders with my linux. and get insufficient rights
mounted the share in /etc/fstab

//Server/Folder /home/user/nas/folder cifs credentials=/home/user/.share_nas,x-systemd.automount,user 0 0
//Server/share /home/user/nas/sharecifs credentials=/home/user/.share_nas,x-systemd.automount,user 0 0

in .share_nas is the same user and password as i use as login for samba access under windows.

As additional Info: in windows i am using the same username local as for samba login, in manjaro i'm using another name.

when i connect directly to the samba folders with
smb://Server/Folder, it takes the correct login and i can access every file.

how do i need to edit the fstab so that it automounts with the correct credentials and grant me access to the shared files?

Exactly. Like comparing apples and oranges, except Slackware has a fucking rolling branch so his main point wasn't even warranted.

Do you have eg username=value
password=value
domain=value
In your ~/.share_nas file?

I just updated my software and Firefox was updated. I checked the changelog, and it looked like there was a bug fix.

Glad it worked out for you in the end, user :)

Alpine Loonix

>Best systemd free

yeah, username and password
i am in local home network without domain, so i didn't add that

I thought he have a military pantsu on his head.

>i need a light distro right now that will make my laptop work for university,
My University uses Ubuntu with a XFCE desktop environment.

arch or manjaro

I've installed Manjaro on my ATX few months ago, had OpenSUSE, Fedora and Ubuntu before. Manjaro keeps randomly hanging (full kernel freeze, not even magic sysrq help, only power off using power button on box). I've tried using different kernel version (currently on 4.13.4-3), different nVidia driver (have GTX560 gpu), nothing helps. None of previous distributions had this problem. Any ideas how to debug? Nothing about that in dmesg or journalctl.

She touched herself that day.

>the reading comprehension of this board.
I was suggesting that he use Ubuntu with XFCE

>so i didn't add that
hmmmm, maybe that's why it isn't working? put your workgroup in there

Can't wait for Linux 4.15, probably going to switch to a custom kernel once it's out. Any recommendations for modules?

>so advanced that he has to avoid systemd
>doesn't know how to look extremely simple things up himself
>subscribes to the notion of "best"

Just end yourself already.

what now?

He is right though.

Enjoying your retarded naivity which made you use a shitty distribution that you most likely don't even need (nor does anyone)?

I seriously doubt there are distributions which don't have a package for something as popular as Tor.
He's just a retarded kid who fell for some myth spreaders and got impressed by Mr Robot.