Why do Japan still insist on using stuff that the rest of the world deemed as "obsolete"?

Why do Japan still insist on using stuff that the rest of the world deemed as "obsolete"?

I mean, we all know about yo average japanese still using fax machine or windows XP but they're still using a fucking mechanical pocket watch even in their state-of-the-art shinkansen. I'm actually impressed really

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mYW2jfsZ2Ro
youtube.com/watch?v=CyP851ExrZw
theregister.co.uk/2014/06/13/restaurant_chain_uses_carbon_paper_to_fight_credit_card_hack/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You know, it could be a mission critical piece and if the computers or something were to fail with the computers, they could at least tell the time.

I dunno, but that is 100% EMP proof.

The Japanese don't over complicate simple things. That philosophy is a big part of their efficiency.

Because the japanese are cool and don't fall for jewish tricks as easily

that's a fucking gook you nigger

She's japanese. She has a flip phone you idiot.

That's Korean runes on the phone

She does not even look half Korean

Also LG is a Korean company. Most Japs don't like buying Korean products.

lets be honest, if an EMP hit, being able to tell the time is the least of their problems

Plastic surgery, nigga

You're aware this is Japan you're talking about, number 1 rasicts. Fuck the Japanese.

Was on a flight next to a Japanese girl the other day. She had a Sony MP3 player and seemingly no smart phone: can't remember the last time I saw an MP3 player, or any portable electronics made by Sony for that matter.

If she was Korean she'd have a 7" smartphone.

Confirmed Korean because of kakao talk button on the phone.

>they're still using a fucking mechanical pocket watch even in their state-of-the-art shinkansen
it for tradition sake. some places still use that loop bag thing (for tradition sake).

>Why do Japan still insist on using stuff that the rest of the world deemed as "obsolete"?
Businesses are run by old men that won't pay for new things.

Plus I guess these train conductors have the symbolism and tradition of syncing their time in the morning and always hitting their scheduled stops with only a few seconds variance.

My wife uses a PSP-Go as her MP3 player. As for portable electronics, I use the Vita almost daily.

>but they're still using a fucking mechanical pocket watch even in their state-of-the-art shinkansen. I'm actually impressed really
What is there even to be impressed or complain about?

It's just telling the fucking time. They adjust it every morning and their trains run amazingly on time.

Also, that is the driver's watch. It's basically a symbol of his occupation. I think that they get given it when they graduate.

It's almost as if the LG logo isn't a dead giveaway already.

Some small factories in japan are still using fucking punch cards.

youtube.com/watch?v=mYW2jfsZ2Ro

eh, it could just be that it's for super rural lines where it would cost too much time/money to upgrade the signal system
I know some places in rural Scotland which only get one train a week use systems like this

A simple quartz watch is going to be many times more accurate than a mechanical watch unless they're paying for a watch that has a 6 digit (dollar) price, and even then it's still wont' be as accurate as a quartz watch
If they really cared, they would use radio watches. Virtually every railway station in Europe uses radio time

Isn't the Vita abandoned by Sony?

Yes

Prolly a dictation machine

Games are still releasing for it, if that's what you're asking. Pretty fun to be able to play Darkest Dungeon while at work.

wtf i love japan now

Token key, used to prevent collision.

Haven't seen this for a while

Sony still make players and they used to be very popular in japan so it might be an actual player, though old.
They only make either cheap shit or memeplayers now.

>A simple quartz watch
Would do the job, yes, and perhaps be more precise. But it won't do the "tradition" thing quite as well.

But see, if they sync the time in the morning the mechanical watches almost can't be enough out of sync for it to matter either. Even if it's just a decent mechanical watch rather than the maximum possible.

In Korea to do online banking you need a USB crypto key, a bunch of sketchy Windows-only ACTIVE-X (seriously!) enabling software, and sometimes a DECODER WHEEL!

Microsoft sells "Windows K" there which is basically ancient Windows that's fully deprecated everywhere else in the world to enable this nonsense.

And Japan feels even more backwards technologically if you can believe it!

Asians like to stagnant for 1000s of years after a period of rapid success and innovation.

I think the sketchy software is pretty common throughout East Asia
If you want to do online banking here in China, you need the sketchy software

Possibly, but why would a 20-something woman be carrying that???

When will japan join the rest of the world and install botnets on everything from their computers to their toasters

I have a sony dictation machine. It's actually pretty great. The microphone on that thing is excellent. The microphone is comparable to pretty high-end stuff and it costs less than even a cheap microphone.

Source please, I love train documentaries.

I believe the Korean stuff was mandated by law until very recently (or maybe still is). There was some online security scare in the early 2000s or something, so the government decreed everyone had to use this probably-OK-for-the-time 3rd party security solution, but then because it was the law it stuck around while the rest of the world moved on.

even the screen is language korean

Are credit card pins finally obligatory in the US? The rest of the world made the change over a decade ago, but credit card skimming remained a thing regardless since it wasn't enforced to allow for backwards American tourists.

>pic slightly related

nope, don't need a pin

youtube.com/watch?v=CyP851ExrZw

No. We still use the chip and signature now, and even then, we are in a transitional period, to where swiping is still allowed. If businesses allow swiping, then they are the ones who are liable for any fraud, but this has yet to hit "pay at the pump" gas stations and ATMs.

So it's possible to use the cha-ching carbon copy credit card "machines" in the US like it's the 70s still? And literally ANYONE who gets ahold of your card can make a perfectly functional copy?

No, to my knowledge, that is no longer acceptable. We are down to swiping the electromagnetic strip, and the "chip and signature." By 2020, we will be down to just the chip, although I have no idea whether it will be chip and signature, or chip and pin.

>but they're still using a fucking mechanical pocket watch

How do you know that watch is mechanical? It could be quartz.

I feel is pretty common throughout the world, even the US bank e-banking with two really big banks was silly less than 10 years ago.

I had ebanking at Wells Fargo a decade ago. Can't really speak for small banks back then, but as of today, I can't see the difference between Wells Fargo, Bank of America, American Express Bluebird, or my local credit union, shy of the fact that Bluebird allows you to preauthorize checks so that there is a 0% chance of unintentional overdraft.

No, but it helps.

> By 2020
I still don't get why this took so insanely long in a rich 1st world country.

I think we had chips widely deployed in 1995 or so.

Did they finally add chip + pin + one time pad or at least password & strong encryption for the connection ( ECDHE GCM AES SHA256 or such?)

Maybe the option to use a HW number generator or key files?

And some factories in America are still using Vaxen. Your point?

I"m pretty sure jacquard loom predates VAX by a good 150 years

YFW the Japanese think our tech is woefully outdated.

>1980+37
>still using an analog toilet

Is the West even trying?

She literally looks Korean AF. Japs have differently shaped eye. Even with surgery you can always tell chinks, gooks, and island monkeys apart.

based kuaiskacha

The west mostly doesn't accept bidets (which can do a half-assed job unless they positively blast your ass with water, which most don't like) plus really unhygienic features like heated seats.

And most women don't really give a shit about having noise generators to play over the noise of them using the toilet.

Doesn't really change anything. If it works, why fix it? NASA has launched satellites into space that have far exceeded their projected lifespan. Why introduce more potential points of failure?

>Did they finally add chip + pin + one time pad or at least password & strong encryption for the connection
Who are we talking about, specifically? Wells Fargo? Bluebird? BoA? My credit union?
I don't do business with WF, BoA, or Bluebird anymore, but my credit union has the chip, and if it's charged as debit, a pin, so I would imagine the bigger banks would as well. I know that Bluebird had 2FA, even when signing in through their phone app (which was a secondary question, rather than a text to the phone that you just logged into). My small credit union also has 2FA, although on the mobile app, instead of a password+text, it can be a password+text+fingerprint, or a password+text+retina scan. They also use SHA256. A quick check of Bluebird's login also shows SHA256. I would assume WF and BoA would match this.

Don't fix it if it aint broke

Ultimately, you need to ask yourself, is that factory of yours profit oriented or just a feel good, cultural kinda stuff?

efficiency and optimization is the name of the game if you want to survive today's "everything made in china" world. At least a fabric shop like is culturally significant and could tap in niche markets (and if you watch the video, even they already migrated to floppies and SD cards with those punch cards are most likely a household heirloom by now, only to be used if somehow all the backup files were corrupted)

All serious banks should support chip+pin+password or mobile id or something equivalent in general.

[As serious companies, they might also offer extras / alternatives like key files, HW number generators, one-time pads for customers that want these.]

And of course the transport encryption method should be chosen to be excessively safe.

... well, I guess it's nice they no longer do 128bit AES+ CBC or even flash-app-that-does-plain-RSA or such. But wow, some are actually promoting biometrics now? That shit is so not secure...

The video says they stopped using punch cards when floppies came out. Pay attention.

>But wow, some are actually promoting biometrics now? That shit is so not secure...
Biometrics are never used on their own, so at least the risk is mitigated. And, considering that I'm talking about the phone app, you are somewhat limited as to what you can do beyond a password + texted pin number (I presume the logic is that if they get a hold of your phone and password, they want something else to keep you secure). The HW number generators, while a great idea in theory, just wound up being a clusterfuck, at least state side. Too many companies offering it, and not enough diversity per website. I mean, would you really want to have to keep a dozen authenticator apps on your phone, because someone uses Symantic's VIP Authenticator, another uses Google, another use MS Authenticator, another uses Duo, yet another uses LastPass Authenticator, etc, etc?

That's the problem with them, at least in the US.

Thanks

>like it's the 70s still

It that was the case then we would still be using these things.

Those are the "cha-ching carbon copy things" that the person you responded to mentioned.

When did these stop being used in the US?

I stopped seeing them in the late 90s. I always thought they were kind of cool. Back then most people only used their CC for large purchases, so it helped give it an air of richness.

By the time I got my first debit card (early 2000s) I never saw them. I can't tell you when they were cut off, though. I'd research it if I knew what those things were called.

>their trains run amazingly on time
You honestly can't knock them for the kind of watch they use because of this.

I'd rather have old men doing old fashioned things that are almost-always on time than a multi-million dollar transit line that can barely keep a schedule. Like the TransLink system here in the Metro Vancouver area.

Still working in 2014: theregister.co.uk/2014/06/13/restaurant_chain_uses_carbon_paper_to_fight_credit_card_hack/

Too bad their toilet paper is shit. You can pretty much see through it.

Technically, they can still be used, but not in the way that they used to be used, as creditors require electronic transmissions no matter what. I think PF Chang's switched back over to it for a period after a hack a few years ago, as a way to ensure they could still be used safely, but that was before the chip and shit like Apple Wallet. It also gets used in very remote locations with no telecom services, but the vendors still need to submit the charges electronically, and its MUCH more expensive for them to do so.

Furthermore, newer credit/debit cards are making it impossible to continue using this method. The new Paypal Cashback card is one example of this, where there are no embossed numbers. In fact, there are no numbers on the front of the card, either, as a way of someone not being able to see and remember them while you are using it. The back of the card still has it for online purchases, but the information is much more secure in public, since the chip leaves the card face up to the public.

Maybe she's a journalist.

C O M F Y

What's spooky about the new pin system, is that you'll be held liable if someone manages to steal/clone your card and gets your pin somehow. The bank can claim you must have been negligent for someone to get your pin.

Where I work we still have these as part of our contingency system for in case bank connectivity goes down. I couldn't tell you if we've trained any of our staff to use them though so it might just be for naught.

It's a fucking watch, next you're gonna tell me shoes are outdated.

>obsolete
nah all you cucks are memeing cunts
last time i visited japan, free wifi are everywhere and they use their smartphones to pay shit also bitcoin are accepted in most stores

It would be used the same as if they just wrote down the credit card number and person's name manually on a piece of paper, with the amount charged next to it. They would just do the slide, and punch in the numbers manually later.

maybe it would if youre going 500 kmph

Take a 30 minute train ride out of Tokyo city centre and it's like you've gone 20 years in the past

same for any city

or a student with recorded lectures

fun fact, the word "patch" for computer programs came from putting a patch over a hole in a punch card to improve it

frankly this question could be asked of just about any country that isnt in the d5

As the train moves faster, time becomes slower and no matter how accurate the watch is, there will be a lag between the clock at control centre and the watch inside the bullet train

its a fucking recorder
if you grow up, you will experience what you call 'meetings' with your superiors/managers and usually it will last around 4 hour to a day. now how do you remember all the shit that have been said? using that recorder

Do you not take minutes of important meetings?

oh hey I think I rode this line

>implying time dilation is in any way noticeable when the train barely move at 0.000002c

[insert lauging chris evans face]

I wonder how do they interface old looms with digital signals

I imagine that they put a piece of black construction paper behind it, and use something similar to a scantron.

I remember there is a thread on Japanese train ticket and turnstiles a month earlier, any one got a pic of that thread?

>big part of their efficiency
The Japanese aren't actually terribly efficient, they value hard work but that's different.

Even the most slavtacular of Russian watches will only gain or lose 30 seconds in 24 hours. Assuming these are adjusted every morning or manufactured to a better spec that's close enough for any intended purpose. I assume they're using Miyota movements or something, Japanese movements are boring and uninspired but perfectly functional.

Fuck off retard, there's a reason why japanese companies still dominate even though japan is a small island Don't try to teach the teacher and shut your trap, goober.
Oh I'm sorry, you hipster nu males do not care unless it has 3 outlets for steam and a chiptune player on it because "muh retro *punk".

Look at this tryhard retard

That sounds beautiful, 80s and 90s japan seem cool af