Who Is Snowden? Hero or Villain?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0zL2akvpWJc
youtu.be/KS-DReOHiQ4?t=131
prism-break.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

cuck princess

I'd personally put a bullet in his head for betraying his own country

Did he? I mean I have been under serveilance for years for no good reason. All Snowden did was showing what the American Agencies are doing.

I would personaly say Snowden helped his countries democracy.

> expose goverment secrets about how government agencies want to fuck over the people of the country is equal to going against your own country.
Americunt edumactation

Putin's bitch.

spoken like a true murican

>has a right to overthrow tyrannical government
>chooses the side of the tyrannical government instead

OP asked about Snowden, not Tramp

he did break the law, and did fuck shit up a little bit for security purposes(we'll never no if credible threats came from it but there is potential) but he did give us valuable undeniable proof that nefarious and unconstitutional bs was being done. so good and bad.

Undeniable hero.

Did Trump beg Putin for political asylum in russia?

Breaking the law to do something morally just is not bad. The law is flawed.

why not both

>he did break the law
The leaders of the country don't give a fuck about the law, why should you?

The law is there to control you. Not to keep you safe.

So young Snowden sat, his laptop on his knee,
And wondered whether we’d ever be free.
Siphoning data from all the four corners,
and thinking that someone should finally warn us.

“Enough is enough” he suddenly thought,
This data is private and cannot be sought.
People trust Facebook and Google and Bing,
This theft of our data’s a terrible thing.

So with care and with stealth and with one simple click,
He saved a few docs on a USB stick.
Then not wishing to stay in the US for long,
He boarded a plane and he fled to Hong Kong.

So what was it that the docs actually said?
That caused such outrage when finally read?
All was revealed as the docs were not sold;
But given quite freely to Mister Greenwald.

There’s a slideshow whose content is fairly apparent,
Though the design is described as frankly abhorrent.
It states there’s a program that’s weirdly named PRISM,
The revealing of which has caused a huge schism.

The Spooks and the Feds, to name but a few,
(Well okay, the Brits with their GCHQ)
Have been hoovering up data without our consent,
With complete disregard for the Fourth Amendment.

This data collection has spread like a cancer,
With ‘Terrorism’ given as the only answer,
And with each passing day there are more secrets spoken,
Till we know that the trust in our leaders is broken.

Obama just sits in his big oval room,
His statements on PRISM just seem out of tune.
And over in Blighty there’s William Hague
Whose speeches in Whitehall are equally vague.

Yet Snowden continues to leak all his leaks,
While politicos continue to speak all their speaks,
And meanwhile the people who think it unjust,
Can’t help but believe that they’ve lost all their trust.

So Snowden is charged with, wait for it… spying,
The irony lost on those authorising,
The orders to have the poor man extradited.
Though many feel that he ought to be knighted

And so Snowden flees to Moscow then where?
To South of the border is probably fair.
Not to Europe, SA or over to Oz,
But that’s strange don’t you think? Simply because…

I remember when these countries held their heads high,
And decreed to the world, in days long gone by,
That China and Russia and Cuba were all,
Countries where freedom meant nothing at all.

I remember the day that the Berlin wall fell,
I remember Mandela and Orwell as well,
I’ve read JFK and his peaceful intent,
Heard speeches by Churchill and all that he meant.

And now as I sit, my laptop on my knee
I shed a small tear for what may never be.
For we’ve lost it all to those with the spies,
And what can I do, but dry my moist eyes?

But wait just a minute, can nothing be done?
Do we give up this battle before it is won?
Is there something that every man, women and child,
Could do to prevent the State from running wild?

Well you have the power come election day,
It’s your opportunity to have a say.
Send a message to those that have all the powers,
That FROM THIS DAY FORTH THE INTERNET’S OURS.

i understand but he could have gone to security council in congress, before releasing the info. there is potential that it made some agent in the field be in hot water but we'll never know, thats why its bad. but like i said its important that we know about that shit now with proof.

Did this guy really just write a poem about Snowden?

Did Putin made Snowden the president just for fucking up the economy in the US?

Snowden is a retard for thinking he would get pardoned. Other whistle blowers went to prison for a few years and were harassed by secret agents but at least he wouldn't be stuck in Russia where all public empathy for him was sucked away.

Hero. Sup Forums newfags can leave any time.

He had no choice. The US government revoked his passport. You stupid nigger.

youtube.com/watch?v=0zL2akvpWJc

I'm pretty sure he looked at doing things another way, but he saw how other people who tried were treated. I think it's very naive to believe such misuse of power can be fought from within, it is the argument typically made by politicians and it's a very weak one.

Paid shills

Hero. The movie about it was pretty enjoyable, too.

naw chill out brahs, im just saying there is potential that some in the field agents got harmed but again we can never know for sure, unlike other leaks that confirmed fucked people up, so i am just being fair in saying its possible. and he did a good thing,but it would have been preferable to tell congressional security committees what was up before leaks which would not have interfered with the press releases at all note that i am not saying he should thrown himself on the fire to die. the info is super valuable information that confirms the odd practices of telcom corps+fed agencies that were suspicious before but that are now proven

>there is potential that some in the field agents got harmed
This wouldn't have been Snowden's fault, if it indeed did happen. Also, telling congress first would have likely meant being arrested before he could leak anything else. They revoked his passport mid flight, they forced the presidential plane of Bolivia down ffs. They tried everything they could to get him locked up. He was smart not to do what you're suggesting. The man risked his comfy life for the greater good, he is the definition of a hero.

Unpaid shill
Get employeed faggot

Constitution is the law of the land.
If he was protecting and defending the Constitution from another law, the Constitution prevails and he broke no law.

Best Oliver Stone movie in years.

t. Windows User with 4 toolbars in his internet explorer

fpbp

please google sp0018.

he's full of shit and knows it.

dissent is the greatest form of patriotism.

What he revealed was too big, they wanted to murder him and not just lock him up.

He'd be dead if he didn't flee, and I'm glad our hero is still breathing.

Here to the people for informing them of a betrayal of their trust in the government,
villain to the corporations who want to buy the information of the people from the government.

Hero*

A Pawn for TPTB.

Recommended: youtu.be/KS-DReOHiQ4?t=131
Pretty balanced take on it, IMO

i agree, good point
>This wouldn't have been Snowden's fault, if it indeed did happen. Also, telling congress first would have likely meant being arrested before he could leak anything else. They revoked his passport mid flight, they forced the presidential plane of Bolivia down ffs. They tried everything they could to get him locked up. He was smart not to do what you're suggesting.
i understand what your saying and agree, but let me clarify that I meant like he write a letter or secure communication, something like he did with greenwald, not wait around for an appointment

>I meant like he write a letter or secure communication
That would've still sent alarm bells ringing throughout the organization, limiting his chances of getting away safely. It's always easy in hindsight to say he should've/could've, but the facts are when he came out they labeled him an enemy of the state, took away his passport and forcibly landed a foreign presidential plane he wasn't even on, all for doing something morally just. I think he had a very clear idea of what he was up against, and played his cards to the best of his abilities. The man is a hero.

He did the right thing.

He's not the hero we deserve. He's the hero we got.

He opened our eyes to PRISM.
For this we should be grateful.

Whose eyes? We've always known the government is watching and spying on you in some fashion. The ones using tor and VPNs still used tor and VPNs. The ones using encrypted communication still used encrypted communication. All he did was tell all the normalfags about it, and in the end it had all the effect of any other conspiracy theorist announcing his findings to the world -- nothing. Absolutely not one single solitary thing has changed as a result of his leaks. Normalfags either don't remember or don't care.

>That would've still sent alarm bells ringing throughout the organization, limiting his chances of getting away safely.
i suppose youre right. could he not have done so after leaving though? either way the info found out is absolutely valuable and worth reading straight from the source even for non technical people

Not a hero. Just a dumbass who threw his whole life for what, a bit of internet celebrity?

He could have leaked info in other ways and had the same impact in terms of creating awareness.

He's not the first one who disclosed that that NSA is spying on everyone. Wew, what a big discovery, an intelligence agency is spying! Stop the presses!!1!

>could he not have done so after leaving though?
Maybe, I don't see what difference this would've made though. Congress is filled people who think the existence of snow is proof against climate change after all, let's not pretend these people would have a better understanding of things had they gotten a memo a few days earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if half those people still don't fully grasp what's going on.

>He could have leaked info
Bullshit. They would skull fuck everyone in the department he worked in, including Snowden.

They know where the leak came from.

>being this retarded

A better hero than we deserved.

So you're saying everybody knew about PRISM already?

He was a false flagging cia shill who spread misinformation

Snowden is Russian plant.

He actually brought something concrete to the table though

I'd personally put a bullet in your head for being an unprincipled numb skull.

He's an American hero.

>My grandfather
Traiottor

Dumb attentionwhore

hero
fuck the government
also

Killing a CIA agent is a good thing.

I thought it was good

Nice butt.

You meant to say government, not country. He helped is country.

Snowden is a hero.

Traitor to the USA or not, we are now all slightly more secure thanks to end-to-end encryption getting deployed everywhere.

Excellent distinction, one more people should make.
I'd post you some tits, but it would get me banned, so enjoy the next best thing.

He's both cuz he's edgy that way!!!
So cool brah!!!!!!

Good goy.

Where can I find girls like this?

Kinda looks like Chris Ray Gun, I like him

Neither, one may call him a hero for what he did while others will say he betrayed the country. He was a whistle blower plain and simple.

No, he shouldn't have asked "committees" for ""permission"" to tell the world USA government was being big brother. Why do you think that?

You are factually incorrect. HTTPS is way more widespread in the pos-Snowden Internet, there are cross-platform, end-to-end encrypted IM software available thats easy to use, services like ProtonMail came to be. We learned about the 5-eyes countries and which companies work with them in PRISM and other projects.

>prism-break.org
Almost everything listed in this site started because of Snowden leaks.

Two movies were made about him.

Government spying is getting less and less effective for them, as the FBI made clear when complaining about """going dark""" (bullshit, its just people using more secured devices/software OOTB).

Snowden changed the world.

Betrayal is objectively the best thing anyone can do to USA

He co-opted the journalists he worked hand in hand with to work to censor the data, as well as personally redacting much of it. The level of potential harm was totally negligible. Bringing it to the attention of the very people that fostered the birth of the entity that funded, developed, and utilized the very program is an act of desperate futility.

What he did was correct, it was patriotic and it was a series of decisions made by sound thought and strong principal at no small sacrifice to himself and at no great sacrifice to the people of the very nation he sought to protect. Snowden is a hero, plain, simple; the facts are cut and dry and there is no means to argue with a poorly extruded, trite and deluded opinion about it.

>No, he shouldn't have asked "committees" for ""permission"" to tell the world USA government was being big brother. Why do you think that?
i didnt say ask for permission, i said tell (insert relevant committees in congress that have security clearance) that this shit is going down THEN sometime after let greenwald dump all the info, and for the final time what he did was important but doing what i suggest could have helped his fight in case of public opinion, if hrc's bs can bring no charges but snowden gets treason then what i am suggesting might have helped his case not be full blown treason considering the facts of the matter(that huge unconstitutional shit is going down by an executive agency)

>there is no means to argue with a poorly extruded, trite and deluded opinion about it.
cool your jets youre comin in hot. look at the string of responses, I agree with you.
>He co-opted the journalists he worked hand in hand with to work to censor the data, as well as personally redacting much of it. The level of potential harm was totally negligible. Bringing it to the attention of the very people that fostered the birth of the entity that funded, developed, and utilized the very program is an act of desperate futility.
good point but you know even some politicians said "well some of it cant be confirmed" in regards to the info dump so what i am saying is a legit point, but again it could of been possible in addition to everything else NOT as an attempt to belittle the valuable information discovered by the release of the data

He did the right thing in the wrong way. There are numerous reporting options within every U.S. government agency. He should have used his reporting options.

isnt the murican constitution that says

protect the country from foreign and domestic threats?

sounds like he did alright

Actually he could have just gone public with the info in the USA, there already is a former NSA employee who became a whistle-blower and nothing happened to him.

As crazy as it sounds, if you disclose something that reveals the power abuse of an institution, you will most likely trigger a political crisis and you will be supported by the people. The congress would investigate this and you might get immunity if you cooperate with their investigation.

You know the congress didn't like what the NSA was doing and adopted a law to restrict their spying on the general population, if I'm not mistaken.

I think he should not have divulged the information. I don't think he should be executed for treason, like Trump has suggested.

This is wrong. If you report WalMart to WalMart without publicly disclosing the information you're reporting they will sweep it under the rug. The government is, catastrophically, able to do the very same and with much more effective means.

Congress is the very power that granted them the ability to do all of the warrantless data collection, it'd hard to imagine they were even vaguely interested in making any moves, but their hands were forced by the disclosure. I seriously have to question whether the investigations performed were any more than elaborate theatrics.

sorry dumbshits but kikes love anyone who hates the us.

This. Wouldn't call him a "hero", that's a title reserved for people who truly save lives and benefit mankind, not people who simply do what's right.

But he did do the right thing. Fuck lies, fuck secrets, fuck governments.

A cuck, faggot, traitor, and should be hanged. I'd also put a bullet in his head

"I literally know nothing about Zionism, like nothing at all what even is that?" the post

damn user that's great

He would be a hero, if people had actually cared beyond a public outcry and then business as usual.

If his leaks had lead to a change in government and a dismantling of the NSA or something, he would have long ago been pardoned and would be remembered as the guy who saved our privacy.

Because no one cared one iota, he is in a shitty position, where he morally did nothing wrong, but legally is still a traitor and will not get a pardon (especially not under Trump)

>13 year old student
>at elementary school

Explains a lot about the US education system.

Highest economic growth since the 2009 economic depression, dowJones steadily raising in Value since Trump gained power- to its highest value ever & the US is seeing massive industrial growth thanks to a renewed interest in fossil fuel...
Is somehow bad for the US economy?

Before throwing him out of a plane?

If he wanted to be seen as genuinely standing up for American values, he shouldn't have fled to China and then to Russia, our two biggest geopolitical foes who piss on most of the Bill of Rights.

His country betrayed him

>do things that will get you murdered in the usa
>stay in usa
that's like retarded you know

Did I say stay in the USA?

Go to Bolivia or Venezuela or a dozen other countries that have giant sticks up their ass about the US.

>bolivia or venezuela
usa agents would get him in a day
in russia he is protected from them at least