/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Coffee Lake has been released! Benchmarks / Reviews
techpowerup.com/reviews/

====

>Handy overview of available parts (outdated prices / builds)
logicalincrements.com/
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, try to include information like response time, refresh rate, resolution, and size

CPUs:
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>i3 8100 - Better budget CPU; extra cost of the currently available Z mobos lessens the value of the CPU
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon), so using an old GPU or waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced gfx cards for 1080p; 6GB 1060 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 / 1080 - 1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 4K

General:
>Consider a 240GB or larger SSD.
>If your build uses Wifi, you will need a Wireless Network Adapter, either 2.4 or 5GHz

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/
youtu.be/VhdV2wv3jQs
store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/BqnGpb
pastebin.com/0REWadXT
amazon.com/22-inch-Monitor-VX228H-Response-Speakers/dp/B00FXOTJAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507393426&sr=8-1&keywords=1ms asus monitor
pcpartpicker.com/list/CCm3LD
pcpartpicker.com/list/YfF8pb
pcpartpicker.com/list/PRnL8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/44CDPs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>General
Always consider an SSD if you can afford one and buy an HDD later.

>If you want help
Assemble a part list: pcpartpicker.com/
Remember, we're not here to build a parts list for you, we're here to help you.
If your part list has a monitor, list the monitor specs that you need.
State your budget, currency, and usage scenarios.
Learn how to build a PC: youtu.be/VhdV2wv3jQs [Open]

>CPUs
A8-9600 - Absolute bare minimum gaymen, does not require a dedicated GPU.
R5 1400 - Best with OCing & high-speed RAM.
i5-8400 - Best value for gaymen
R5 1600 and R7 1700- Best value for mixed uses
used Xeon, Thread ripper - Heavy multi-tasking & mixed uses
8700k - best gaming cpu at a premium

>GPUs
* Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up, using an old GPU or waiting to build may be a good idea right now.
1060 3GB - 1080p 60hz at medium/high settings, anything below this just buy an Optiplex and put this GPU or better in.
1060 6GB or RX 580 - 1080p 60hz at ultra settings, former supports G-Sync, latter supports Freesync
1070 - 1080p 144hz / 1440p 60hz at ultra settings
1080 TI - 1440p 144hz / 4k 60hz at ultra settings

>RAM
* RAM costs so much because ram companies are colluding again.
Check your Mobo's QVL if you're on a Ryzen platform
Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM, 3200MHz is ideal

Who the hell plays at 1080p? Everyone I know has 1440p at 144hz, 165hz, or 4k at 60hz.

Most people. A lot are poorfags, the rest is dumb people with 27" 1080p screens and (nvidia) 1080s

vast majority of people. less than 4% of people use 1440p + 4k combined.
store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

1440p is too demanding. you get tired of playing games at medium-low settings eventually.
and yes i'd rather have 1080p/144hz high settings than 1440p/144hz medium-low settings.

Steam does include a lot of people who almost never game and most people's laptop/tablet. But yeah the vast majority is 1080p.

Lot's of people still do m8

See that 1366? all laptops. A lot of laptops for others as well.

>still
1080p will continue to be the mainstream resolution until budget gpus (~$150 range) will be capable of running 1440p at 60fps in aaa games.

>A8-9600 - Absolute bare minimum gaymen, does not require a dedicated GPU.
Never buy this APU. Yes, it will play a few games at 720p medium settings, but waiting for the Zen/Vega APUs at the beginning next year is really the only option because the A8 APUs are so bad.

>1060 3GB - 1080p 60hz at medium/high settings, anything below this just buy an Optiplex and put this GPU or better in.
Absolutely retarded. The 1050Ti is a great option for a lot of people. Additionally, you can't just stick the 1060 3GB in an Optiplex because the graphics card requires a 6+2 pin connector that the Optiplex's PSU doesn't have.

>Hz
That's not how Hz works. Graphics cards do not provide Hz: they provide framerates (in conjunction with the CPU). The type of monitor just changes your strategies regarding avoiding screen tearing and stuttering. USING A 144Hz MONITOR DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU HAVE TO RUN GAMES AT 144FPS. Whether you have a 60Hz or 144Hz 1440p monitor, a GTX 1070 will provide a great experience.

I use 1366x768 on my 32" TV that's about 7 years old :^)

>1080p/144hz high settings than 1440p/144hz medium-low settings
You. are. fucking. retarded. You do not play at a Hz, you play at an FPS.

no shit you fucking retarded framefrate gatekeeper. i never mentioned any about static refresh rate but the difference in GPU load for each.
jesus fuck you are so stupid, fucking off yourself honestly.

this general is tearing us apart, just like our frames

So I just replaced my good old AMD 6870 with a GTX 1060 3GB.

My current CPU is a 1st gen Intel i5-750.

Should I get a new processor as well or am I fine as it is? I feel like my new GPU could be a bottleneck.

>Graphics cards do not provide Hz
Everyone knows this. But there's no reason to get a more powerful card that runs games at 144fps on your 60hz screen. Likewise if you play at 60fps on your 144hz screen it's wasted.

Why are you getting so worked up over irrelevant details?

You could even make a case for using hz as a unit for fps, since hertz just means changes per second.

Your new GPU only gives you more hertz, it's fine

List specs.

Are you stuttering? If not you're fine. All i5s before coffee has problems with stuttering if you multitask, but otherwise run all games above 60fps

>Everyone knows this. But there's no reason to get a more powerful card that runs games at 144fps on your 60hz screen. Likewise if you play at 60fps on your 144hz screen it's wasted.
THANK YOU BASED MAN

and i'll have to expand on this because i know you lack the ability to read between the lines. i'd rather play a game at higher settings on a lower demanding resolution than play at medium-low settings on a higher resolution monitor, this in the context of high refresh rate monitors.
if i was to play a single player game i'd rather play that on a 4k monitor because it's not some cuck stopgap resolution like 1440p.

I play 1440p at 60Hz and I love it.

Fuck you.

hey Sup Forums long time no see. Have a meme from when I was last here.

Gonna make a new build since mine is quite old now (sandy bridge GTX580 etc), hows this shit?
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/BqnGpb

Gonna be for games, UE4, Maya maybe some editing.

Will likely get 1440p / 4k monitor at some point.

Was considering a threadripper build but 8700k seems more sensible and less OTT.

You don't understand how high framerate monitors work. Educate yourself and then we'll talk.

Having a higher refresh rate monitor has no effect on the graphics load. If your card can run a game at 40FPS it makes no difference whether you're running at 60Hz or 144Hz.

>Likewise if you play at 60fps on your 144hz screen it's wasted.
Ever heard of settings? I repeat: The type of monitor just changes your strategies regarding avoiding screen tearing and stuttering. High Hz monitors do not require Vsync (unless you're over 144FPS.) Vsync adds latency and can cause stuttering if your framerate fluctuates above and below 60FPS (Vsync switches to a locked 30FPS when this happens, at least on AMD graphics cards). Additionally, running games on High settings with a 1070 at 1440p often provides 100FPS in NEW games. USING A 144Hz MONITOR DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU HAVE TO RUN GAMES AT 144FPS. Whether you have a 60Hz or 144Hz 1440p monitor, a GTX 1070 will provide a great experience.

Shut up, retard.

>haven't upgraded any part of my PC for almost 2 years
>decide to maybe download more RAM for the hell of it
>shit costs about the same as a new high-end CPU

>120mm closed loop watercooling
sad
get an hdd
evga / seasonic psu

>new mobo, $269
>new cpu, $269
>new ram, $250
guess the country

australia

ding ding first try

not the same person as others who wanted to change the OP, rate this: pastebin.com/0REWadXT
i don't want to spam the thread, give me as much suggestions / changes as possible

It's fine but don't buy a high end graphics card until you're ready to buy a better monitor.

already using the H60 & power supply and currently have a couple WD hdds.

I feel you. I'll most likely look around and get one in a few weeks.

>Who the hell plays at 1080p
Uhh... majority of gamers do?

sad

Getting better. You won't be able to get 144FPS on most new games because they'll be CPU limited. Just say something like "high framerate"

Don't bother including the paper launch bullshit. The i3s and i5s are still in stock.

You'll also have an upgrade path with G4600. Buying an A8 for an AM4 upgrade path is stupid

I'm not upgrading until 10bit/HDR is affordable.

Who the hell drives a Mitsubishi? Everyone I know drives a BMW, Mercedes or Ferrari.

AMA who just upgrade from
>amd athlon x4
>radeon 6750
>21' 60hz screen

to a
>1080 ti
>r7 1700
>27'' 1440p 165hz

how does it feel to be inferior

why waste money on 8 cores

>tfw enjoy watching people assemble old computers more than new ones
why do i have to be a hipster in absolutely everything

Question:

Celeron G3900
LGA1151 socket board (i think)

I use older data calibration software thats singlethreaded. My skylake cpu has 2.8 GHz. Can i simply asume that higher GHz is better? Should i just get the fastest clocked i3 possible?

RAM prices are so fucked up is not even funny, a single channel 16GB 3000mhz RAM stick is currently cheaper than a dual channel 2400mhz kit

>I enjoy watchong people cut their hands open
Those were the days

Glad for you user. Intel shills' tears are delicious.

i think i'll remove 7th gen pentiums altogether. the only upgrade path they offer is i7 7700 and that's already outperformed by i5 8400.
there are many places where 8th gen i3 and i5s aren't available, i'll keep it for now
moved pastebin to /u/pcbg (i thought the name was taken before). i'll try to add some useful links/resources on different hardware

Imagine being a retard who bought a 7700k say this summer and now a budget-tier i5-8400 blows it the fuck out.

what cant you get isopropyl alcohol on? does it have to be 100%

Need help with a new monitor
>State the budget & currency for your build
Up to $150

>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
Just videogames mainly.

>For monitors, try to include information like response time, refresh rate, resolution, and size
1080p is fine, anything bigger than 23" is killing it for me at that resolution. I was thinking of getting the ASUS VC239H, but I keep reading it is bad for vidya.

heavy OCed 7700k still beats it i guess, but yeah 8400 is much better value. personally i'd wait for h310 mobos to come to though.

Imagine AMD not being there, that goy with the 7700k would be king for 5 years.

In Australia a dual channel 8GB with a high clock speed is the same price as a new i5

amazon.com/22-inch-Monitor-VX228H-Response-Speakers/dp/B00FXOTJAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507393426&sr=8-1&keywords=1ms asus monitor

LG 24MP59G-P - IPS, 75Hz, Freesync, 24"

Why is the i5 8400 performing so well?

amd made only intel rush coffee lake release, even without ryzen it would still come out eventually

Coffee Lake is stillborn, Intel is panicking.

Let's go over the potential reasons:
>Optimisation for it is really good
>People can't test correctly
>Maybe the CPU is bottlenecked, somehow

>miner offers me an RX 580
>lets me take it home for the weekend to test before actually committing to buy because he's a good guy
>don't believe the memes about miner cards being trashed
>plug it all in, seems to work well, fans are actually quieter than my 1050 Ti despite the thing drawing twice as much power
>great scores on passmark
>fire up a game
>4000 fps and insane coil whine, louder than the rest of the case fans combined, static buzz louder than game audio in my headphones
>use their utility to lock the fps at 60
>start the game again
>still has coil whine and static in the headphones at 60fps

I didn't believe the memes. Is this truly the result of ETH mining ruining the graphics card or was the RX 580 just this much of a piece of shit?

the coffee lake release is, cpus themselves are fine

Miners rape their cards constantly for as long as they can, and then sell them used when they have little life in them or some defect.
No, this isn't AMD's (or any of their partners') fault unless you find another busted card that wasn't used for mining (which you won't).

>inferior
kek
running everything on ultra 1440p
With 70+ fps

it's future proof

I was going for the 7700k
Thank God I saved my house from an house fire

6 cores is future proof
8 cores is a meme and you sacrifice single core performance

where are you plugging your headphones in

>le housefire
>6850k

Front case 3.5mm jack that connects to the motherboard's "HD Audio" plug. I tried the rear 3.5mm jack but that port has general static noise with or without coil whine. The 1050 Ti had a coil whine problem in STALKER, but limiting the fps to 60 fixed it. The RX 580 has coil whine no matter what I did, in all games.

I'll probably still buy it off of him as a favor and then flip it on ebay or something at a loss. I'm pretty sold on Nvidia now.

im guessing this wasnt a problem before you got the card? i wouldnt buy it

>less cores is future proof
SOPA

>Stutter lake
>good
WEW nice joke, why are you even bothering recommending something that was only paper launched and no real stock will be available until december, your op is shit as always and you make it WAY to obvious that you are shilling for intel

>MUH QUAD CORE
good goyim

>He put the skylake x in the op
Intel shill confirmed, no amount of shilling is going to stop people from hating you

Ryzen had stuttering issues when it first launched, as did several other new platforms from both AMD and Intel. That's par for the course, and should be fixed with some software updates.

OP not even here to rebutt any of these
points, just means they're right, you are a massive shill and not even trying to hid it anymore or disprove that you aren't, rest assured im not going to let you turn this general into a shill thread for intel, juan

RAM prices wont stabilzie for a year or two atleast

I sorta got "lucky" and bought my 16 GB 3000 Mhz ram for $66 just before the ram prices spiked up. The same RAM is now listed double the price.

Yea AMD had a MASSIVE stuttering issue, here's a day 1 for ryzen 5, just fuck off you permabtfo loser, intel is shit, you could just be like me and be mad at intel for fucking us over instead of amd for pulling the curtain back

I'm helping my younger brother pick out parts for his PC, he does a lot of video and photo editing, with a bit of gaymin on the side. and while anything is a step in from his shitty laptop, he is on a fairly tight budget.

His original choice for a CPU was a ryzen 1600, however the i5 8400 seems to be quite good, and a bit cheaper. The mobos for the i5 are expensive as fuck though so he'd have to wait for a B-series motherboard to be released.

So do you think it's better for him to wait a month or 2 for new motherboards and get an i5, or is ryzen 1600 overall better in general for his workload?

Day one of skylake/kabylake x i mean

that doesn't count

>Whether you have a 60Hz or 144Hz 1440p monitor, a GTX 1070 will provide a great experience.

Maybe if you're a fucking poorfag used to looking at shit. The GTX 1070 can't even deliver acceptable high refresh rate gaming at 1080p, let alone 1440p, and you're a delusional faggot if you think it can.

>a cpu that isnt out
>has stuttering issues like the previous gen
>runs at 200 watts
>90-100c

why don't you throw in a vega card for good measure, its also a out of stock housefire

it never counts when intel is shown in bad light is it?

intel knows no bad lights

?

I dont know which shills to believe. I have been in the market for a new CPU for two months now and have been waiting for the i7 8700k, but now it looks like this shit isnt going to be available until at least november.

Is the 1700X really that much worse than the 8700K or even 7700k?

For reference, I plan to use this rig for mostly gaming so ill be getting a 1080ti to go along with it so I dont want to be immediately cucked by picking a shitty CPU

>Is the 1700X really that much worse than the 8700K or even 7700k?

usualy like 5-10 fps worse in averages, but in the 99 percentile (stutter) AMD rails intel in the ass, look at bf1 with stutter from an intel cpu, does that look playable to you? Intel's minimums are shit and that's enough reason to stay away from them

At 1440p, your GPU becomes the bottleneck. It isn't worth buying 4-core on a deap platform or waiting when you may heave a 1-2 fps difference that favors the 1700x sometimes.

only the fire from the 7700k looming in the distance

Ay faggot why don't you have vega in the OP its exactly like coffee lake, it burns down houses, is virtually unavailable, and is massively overpriced

I'm going for a very modest build that can do 1080p gaming at high settings.
This is what I went for overall, the CPU price includes the cooling fan as well which comes with the i5.
pcpartpicker.com/list/CCm3LD

One thing I had worries about was the case, it seems to be big enough for everything but it did have a lot of holes, that usually means more dust will get in unless I cover them but I don't really know what other case would benefit this.

Anything else you think I could change? My budget is $900.

Lets put it this way, the difference between Ryzen 1600 (6c12t) and 8700K is mainly in the clock speed. The 1600 can hit 4Ghz the 8700K can hit 5Ghz. This is a 25% clock speed difference, obviously speaking of overclock. The other main difference is pricing. 1600 is ~$200, mobo $80. Where as 8700K is ~$400 and mobo ~$125s and $70+ coolers(ryzen cooler works just fine, 8700K doesn't come with it). With shortages. So its a $280 machine vs $600 machine for a rough difference of about 25% difference in single thread and roughly 10% difference in multithread(due to diminishing returns).

These are basically the two builds I have lined up for reference. I can go to microcenter and get everything today for less money and without playing the f5 game for coffee lake.

Ryzen 7
pcpartpicker.com/list/YfF8pb

Coffee Lake
pcpartpicker.com/list/PRnL8K

Oh wow, in my opinion stutter makes the game waaaay more unplayable than a 5-10 FPS drop. I definitely favor slightly lower and smooth over high but inconsistent.

yeah I am targeting 1440p @ 144hz which was why I was going full overboard with the GPU.

You know what else also includes a stock cooler and outperforms an i5? Ryzen. Consider it.

I'll also need to consider a new mobo with the AM4 socket though, and that will limit me in terms of what CPU to get later. What Ryzen would you recommend for this set up that won't blow my budget?

No SSD? If you have one put it on, marked as purchased.

the 8700k is even worse in its power consumption

1600 for $194~200 and an ~$75-85 B350 chipset mobo for overclocking.

I would say read the op but a shill vandalized it, the 1600 is better go for that one

pcpartpicker.com/list/44CDPs

Much stronger CPU
Much stronger GPU
Better HDD
Faster RAM

Better PSU