/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE
>Watch Essentials 102: pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6UpMwVfwoDA
worthpoint.com/worthopedia/seiko-watch-7n32-0az0-rrp-130-428263508
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Post vintage JDM pieces

The Virgin Daini

The Chad Suwa

Both JDM because Nips hate the gaijin.

youtu.be/6UpMwVfwoDA

you should all get your test level checked

Does a reissue count?

pls respond

This one is fucking great.

this ones actually nice looking. what is this?

Anyone else preorder one of these? Really looking forward to it.

Seiko Liner, the first watch Seiko made with a very slim movement.

why don't they still make this?

1971 LM Special.

Three-piece cases as used in thin dressy watches have no water resistance whatsoever. Modern three-piece cases like Skagen or Bering are barely capable of a 3atm rating and are prone to crystals popping on airplane rides.

yeah but its actually a nice looking seiko which is pretty fucking rare.

Quick post Swiss Master Race watches before the low test seiko weebs realize.

I'll have you know that I am a high test Seiko weeb thank you very much.

I've just consulted my scientific literature and have determined that to be a physical impossibility.

Why can't you be a Seiko weeb and a Swissaboo why does everything have to be competitive

Bro the first 20 posts in this thread were all shitty old seiko's. its just gone too far. These mother fuckers are sick.

Just because i started the thread with JDM pieces doesn't mean we can't post Swiss watches as well.

Those are fucking nice

its also more like only seiko .. You guys are sort of like apple fags. You compare one company to the rest of the world including many companies with far superior products.

rec a smart watch

Where can I get a 7S26 with Kanji?

No

I personally prefer the hybrid watches.

Skagen has some nice looking ones.

Why are you feeding a shitposter (You)s? Just ignore him, though don't let that stop you from posting pre-Swatch Omegas, as those are fantastic watches as well. I still need to find myself a 56x vintage Omega to add to my collection.

They probably like Seiko because it's affordable. Not everyone has a Rolex or Patek budget.

But there are hundreds if not thousands of companies. Is it not odd that so many weebs focus on only one of those companies and buy multiple watches from only this one company?

Affordable mechanical wristwatches with great finishing and alot of variety. Seiko gives you alot for your money.

What other brands are you suggesting? Something that's not already popular in these threads.

literally every other brand on earth. How can you all focus on only one brand. How do you not get this? This is literally apple tier shit.

>literally every other brand on earth

Sorry no. Pick one.

Shame.

That was a serviced 56X that i sold.

Those seem pretty slick, anything with a little more smart than that though?

But there's not thousands of reputable companies putting out mechanical watches under $300. There's Seiko and Orient, Seagull, a few hundred Chinese mushroom brands with no QC, Vostok, Miyota-based (and Seiko-based) microbrands, and vintage roulette - all of which get a lot of time in these threads.

I guess Swatch System 51 too, which despite its drawbacks I'm surprised gets so little time in wt.

In case you aren't aware of the historical context, in the mid 1960s to late 1970s pre-quartz revolution era, the higher end lines produced by both Seiko divisions were direct market and technical competitors to Omega, and Omega was much more competitive with other in-period higher end production watchmakers (e.g. Girard Perregaux, and Rolex which had not yet gained a massive lead over Omega in quality and pricepoint).

People today tend to focus on the best volume production makers of the pre-quartz golden age. Asking why people focus on Seiko is like asking why they focus on Omegas or Eternas of the same period. On top of that, higher end vintage Seikos are very clearly underpriced by the market relative to their in-period competitors so they offer a great value for vintage watch collectors.

What's not to like about Seiko?

Japan. No, really.

Nice first week graph. Let's see it do a straight line after two years.

The problem with looking for a 564 for me is just that there are so many on ebay, chorno24, etc., I'm spoiled for choice. At least when I was looking for my 613 I was looking for one particular rare dial; with a 564 there's so many more pieces to sort through.

Part of the reason I'm probably waiting on the 564 until I get a GP.

>apple tier shit

You have no clue wtf you're on about do you?

That picture is basically bait; though I did try out a few different pieces in several positions and performance was pretty consistent, I acknowledge that not every system 51 off the line will do as well. But then, neither will other watches at that price point.

>until I get a GP
Another of the great pre-quartz production makers I need to eventually add to my collection.

I'd love to find an observatory chronometer from them (since they're priced so much lower than the 4580s), but as far as I can tell there's no indication in the movement so unless I find one with a certificate avoiding redials seems impossible.

No i am talking about every watch brand on earth versus seiko thats the whole point

I don't know like seiko but the fact that so many people have so many seiko's and talk about seikos every single fucking watch thread really blows my mind.

good argument buddy.

Hi pajeet

I totally get that but are they better than every other watch company at all prices through all years? that seems like an unreasonable thing to say. So why do so many people have more than 5 vintage seiko wathces?

good one bro

At the lowest points vostok wins as a diver, and orient are kind of similar. Only around $600 - $2000 can you find ETA which at that point is straight up better than Seiko, but for some reason people here don't occupy that space due to shying away from ETA. The problem is that people here look down on buying from "casemakers".

Past it only Rolex beats them unless it's a brand beyond what Seiko sells, and almost no one here on /wt/ does that.

They're the second best mass producer of watches qualitywise, which means naturally the space not occupied by Rolex would be taken by Seiko.

Go back to rÄ—ddit, "bro."

Still waiting for you to come up with a brand equal to Seiko that's not being discussed in these threads.

Seiko's are some of the best value for money watches out there. Most people on here cannot afford luxury watches. What are you not getting? Post different brands you wanna talk about if you're so butthurt about Seiko dominating these threads.

I know you're not looking for a real answer, but regardless, there's plenty of vintage collecting in wt that's not focused on seiko
> Vintage Seiko: 45ks, 5256, 8M25
> Vintage Citizen: 7803, 5800 with service needed (not pictured)
> Vintage Omega: Seamaster Cosmic 613, Megasonic Constellation, f8192 (not pictured)
> Vintage Longines: ultronic esa9162 (not pictured)
> Vintage Election: Grand Prix
> Vintage Bulova: Spaceview 214, Accuquartz 224
> Vintage Luch: 3055
> Vintage Podeba
> Vintage Borel: cocktail
Plus the pocketwatches

Vintage seikos have some historical importance to them:
> 45ks: movement line that (regardless of whether the argument that they "ended" the swiss chronometer trials is valid) crushed the swiss chronometer trials in their final years, potentially first production wristwatch with balance bridge.
> 5256: final mechanical calibre from one of the seiko manufacturing houses
> 8m25: potentially the first production fly-by-wire quartz watch

But they're far from the only vintage pieces discussed here? The very last thread had some discussion about the cosmotrons, a few of us have tuning fork collections, etc. I guess lurk until those come up.

I fucked up, also meant to reply to
I wouldn't mind if people talked about Tudor, Orient, Citizen, Alpina, Damasko, Oris, Hamilton, Tissot, or Dornbleuth and Sohn.

The only one of those in the same universe as low-cost seikos is Orient and Citizen's eco drive line, and Hamilton's bottom-barrel Khakis.
Orient's divers are good and get recommended; their dressy options like the bambino come up but aren't in the style that wt prefers (too big).
Citizen eco drive is okay but their low-end designs are pretty uninspired (eco drive tech is cool, although citizen's high-end timekeeping tech isn't available until much higher price points).
Hamilton Khaki used to be very popular on wt; it doesn't get mentioned a lot these days but is pretty good at its price point.
Tudor actually comes up not infrequently - a few wt folks have one - but it's not even close to the price point in question. Same for Damasko (or Sinn, more often) and to some extent Oris.

I don't know what to tell you user. Maybe you should post about these brands in wt?

I would think that the demographic of who would even think to browse Sup Forums plays a big role in the Seiko posting. Chances are it's a younger audience on average, not ones who can afford Tudors, Damaskos, and other higher end brands. Also it does get stale if one person posts their same tudor for example everyday. Cheaper watches let people switch it up. Seiko is cheap.

Pic related is my most expensive watch, it's a lot for me considering I am only 20 and I'm in Canada so I had to pay more. I am considering an SKX because I want another watch but can't afford another sinn.

Is this an unironic breguet homage?

Just go back already.

Pretty much this. We only get cheap shitters and Seiko white knights because frankly that's all that 99% of /wt/ can afford.

What are you not getting? There literally tens of thousands of watches under 500 dollars for sale on the internet. Many of them are better or more interesting than many seikos. I just don't understand this massive magnetism towards one brand. I personally don't have two watches from the same brand. I even like seiko i just really don't fucking get this. look at the first 20 posts in this thread.

why would I not be looking for a real answer? I am not the one shit talking anyone here I just want to understand.

This is my dad's watch. The bracelet is too small for me because he had some links removed so it would still fit him during his cancer.

Looking at the end links I don't know how I could find another bracelet or modify it to take another type of strap. The only thing I can think to do is get a bigger clasp, but even the clasp looks unusual in the way its connected to the strap.

wat do?

show the lugs

I think the Seiko obsession is mostly because of the large Weeb demographic here. If it were simply a matter of not having a lot of money you wouldn't see all of the mentally deficient Seiko males defending them endlessly whenever someone even mildly criticizes them.

I mean just look at how the average Vostok owner acts compared to the average SKX owner on here. Miles apart.

> there are literally tens of thousands of watches under 500... many of them are better or more interesting than many Seikos.
So post them. I love learning about new good interesting cheap watches.

>There literally tens of thousands of watches under 500 dollars for sale on the internet.
>Many of them are better or more interesting than many seikos.

Name 5 brands that are better than Seikos under $500.

The other guy is just a shitposter, but he had a point about diversity. I don't really hate Seiko and I really hope you don't think I'm that guy. But Seiko has a Brightz line and the grand Seiko which fit perfectly fine with the more expensive brands I listed.

I'm not a collector yet, and I don't want to post watches I don't have unless I'm asking about them.

You don't know where the extra links are? Could you try to find some on ebay or something?

Push into the lug holes with a toothpick to take the bracelet off

I haven't found anything so far. even finding references to the watch itself is difficult. The only other one I've seen is here:
worthpoint.com/worthopedia/seiko-watch-7n32-0az0-rrp-130-428263508

The bracelet has 31J1-Z-I stamped into one of the links, I can't find anything about that either.

Yeah I know how to take it off, but look at the way the bracelet connects to the watch. What am I supposed to do with that? I can't just whack any old strap on that.

its just an endlink dude. just take it off

Its not. its molded into the watch itself

watch virgin here.
what's decent cheap autism watch brand?

The spring bar goes through the two middle pieces. Take it off.

Vostok.

65$+ the price of a half decent strap.

I posted this on /csg/, but does anyone know where I can get either this watch or one that looks nearly identical for cheap? Massdrop has it up for $119 and I'm not feeling like spending that much for it

is that a skagen homage?

Not sure. Just saw it was put up on Massdrop and loved to look. But not for $119

>
Just browse AliExpress or DHgate until you find want you like.

I have both an skx and vostok, and I like and wear them for different reasons, and I feel like that if you have an skx you probably fell for a vostok aswell.

I don't even think its a spring bar.

2809 precision soviet watches
2209 soviet watches
luch, raketa, vostok, volna poljot

countless 17 jewel hand wind american and swiss brands including omega universal hamilton doxa etc

there are plenty of interesting HMT's , Benrus, Westclock's, etc.

there are so many fucking choices out there. I do not dislike seiko i just am trying to understand this far reaching obsession. This really does not need to be a heated argument but so many people on this board feel so passionately about this one brand that it makes it difficult to even ask questions.

Hey on a side note is that an aftermarket bezel? and what insert is that?

The Chinese tend to use the English style a lot. Personally I'd rather get something that is more GP than Breguet since they already have a genuine history

Try getting an original HMT these days. Its like they never existed. Vintage ones are a pipe dream