His time isn't exact

>his time isn't exact
What's your excuse?
Time.is

Other urls found in this thread:

infiniteundo.com/post/25326999628/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-time
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

but how do you know if yours is the correct one?

Huh? You mean the + or - 0.005 sec?

what's so fucking hard to understand, how do you know if time.is or time.windows.com or time.nist.gov, etc. is correct

Because it's synced to the Atomic clock at NIST, or potentially the Navy's.

just use a fucking ntp

>Your clock is 5 minutes and 53.4 seconds behind.
how i solve this?

You can manually sync your clock right now and it'll probably be pretty close to dead on, but over time it will drift unless you have your computer set to automatically check itself at certain intervals.

If you're particularly anal there are programs that force your clock to update to your specified time server every second if you want.

>trusting the government and intel to not tamper with your system's time using intel ME
>not having a casio f91w hot glued to your monitor bezel

>your clock is 0.3 seconds behind
>download the atomic clock synchronizer
>synchronize
>your clock is 0.4 seconds behind
JUST

why do you need the exact time?

Recording TV shows on my cable card when i'm out or busy around the house and not sitting at my computer.

>5 minutes behind
Jesus, do you get your updates via email?

what the fuck? you realize that you can set the box to record a show weeks in advance right?

>Your clock is 25.1 seconds ahead.
future

>implying it'll record at the correct time if the system time is wrong

I think he's more worried about losing the first/last five minutes of what is being recorded bruh.

Sup murrland bro

o just disabled the ntp service because its useless

I use time.gov to set my watches. Looks WAY better

MD is based as fuck for the seafood and fiber internet
Gun laws could be better, but meh.

No shit, as the other guy said if I have my computer on for a few weeks and it doesn't correctly sync it's time, eventually it will be off by several minutes. Using a program to sync the system clock at a regular interval insures I never have issues.

>not using WWV to keep your stuff in sync

no one can compete

Sup MD peeps. Where are you guys? Baltimore reporting in. White though.

But doesn't it have a delay of a couple of ms? How would it even know if it's correct?

On my phone
Your clock is 0.4 seconds behind.
Accuracy of synchronization was ±0.096 seconds.

Thanks systemd timedatectl!

>system time
>time @ tx
>time @ rx

I wonder if this site takes into account the latency beetween the request and the comparision...

>exactitude

General relativity

.002 seconds behind.
Once I get around to it all my computers will be synced to my own atomic clock. WWVB's going to be more accurate than Internet time, right?

The standard NTP client bundled with most distros accounts for network latency.

There's a shitload of assumptions when programming around time. Some of my favourites are that you can't assume time is linear, minutes have 60 seconds and the duration of a minute is less then a hour.

infiniteundo.com/post/25326999628/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-time

>What's your excuse?
cheap motherboard, it has a good two second drift per day

i've got a very accurate radio clock though

How the fuck should we know their clock is correct?

>what are atomic clocks

Spatial Relativity.

Due to the difference in velocity between earth based atomic clocks and the GPS sats internal clock they will differ by about 10nanosec (if I'm remembering correctly). This directly translates into about 10KM of locational drift per day. They compensate by slowing the frequency of the system clock as well as Sat-Sat microwave transmissions to determine relative position and correct (using latency).

I was talking to a exNASA eng a few weeks ago, for one of his projects they would literally laser the fucking thing from the ground (or ISS or some shit) to get a positional fix and apply corrections.

All ways of measuring time by the rotation and orbit of a planet are going to be inexact. Our planet isn't that perfect.

Time is a measurement decided on by a number of different committees of people. You're not really "more right" unless one of those committees says you're right, and even then they might disagree with each other.

Bullshit

> Systemd is bloa...

I'm not asking for a definition of time. What I'm asking is which will give me a number that differs less from that decided upon measurement, WWVB, or Internet time.

But it is

We don't measure time by earth rotation anymore, dude.
We haven't for like 2 and a half centuries. The rotation and orbit of the earth fluctuate and change over time. we know this since we don't use them to keep time any more- time is defined by atomic clocks now. Their vibrations are extremely precise, much more so than orbital motion.
And so it came to pass that we have to mess with the clocks now and then to get them to match earthly rotation.

>24hr time

>mfw using 24h time

You mean systemd-timesyncd, which is a simple NTP client.

Ask a time traveller anything.

Btw. How does new hardware get time info? Does it have to sync online first? What about an air gapped network?

>having to append letters to your clock time to know whether it is day or night
Really keeps the noggin joggin'

>ricers/pathetic
you forgot retards. those two don't even know how to take area screenshots. blame it on low IQ. wither shit genetics of their mom did cocaine while she was preggo with them.