What was the last time a piece of technology made you genuinly happy?

So much depressing tech. Laptops with 16:9 screens, processors 1% faster than the last iteration, bugged software or proprietary malware trying to anal probe it's users.

But what was the last time a piece of technology made you genuinly happy?

Other urls found in this thread:

vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2657)
nytimes.com/2013/08/24/nyregion/citys-annual-cost-per-inmate-is-nearly-168000-study-says.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My dap, Cayin n3

I guess capacitive touch screens. They have their drawbacks but it's nice to not have to press the touchscreen with the force of a thousand suns to get it to register.

For me it's when I discoverd a Vim plugin for outlining called VOoM (vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2657)

It (1) works, (2) is well documented, (3) doesn't go against Vim like so many plugins do. It must have been such a pain to write, because it works so well and achieving that is a pain with Vimscript. Knowing through that someone went through that to add this wonderful feature to my favourite editor made me genuinly happy.

The Raspberry Pi lauch. I was genuinely satisfied with their execution of the dirt cheap hobbyist&desktop ARM computer and its tiny size and low power consumption. When I got mine, I used it way more than our boring Linux mint family PC even though it was slow. It was just so cool!

UPS. Not having PC randomly shut off on me is pretty great.

Pic related. 19 years and this thing still gets my pussy wet.

The latest tech to make me genuinely happy was my first computer about 23 years ago.

Getting my Gameboy advance SP

I just created a live persistent USB so UEFI makes me happy.

It's great that we have these kinds of positive threads every once in a while on Sup Forums. Feels like the whole site hasn't been "taking it easy" lately, you know.

Still using my 4:3 screen, nothing is comfier than having the entire screen in your POV effortlessly.

>1% faster than the last iteration
You must have not noticed when the 10xx series laptops were released.

got a T420 thanks to /tpg/
saved myself a lot of money for arguably superior hardware

>from 4GB ram to 8GB
>AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB

Good times.

I've learned to not get excited for anything or expect anything from anyone/thing becasue I'm always let down no matter what.

Why even fucking bother

My Nintendo Switch(TM)

Yep, they are really nice.

teledildonics

Fuck off frogposter

Fuck off retard

to be honest, when I got my kindle a few weeks ago. Just built a $1500 gaming pc so I can whatever play Sup Forumsidya I want, but this tiny little device with its e-ink display is the coolest tech I've used lately. Shit has no glare and that blows my mind for some stupid reason

Last time.. I think it was with my new coffeemaker. Grinds the beans itself and makes a nice cup of coffee every time. I got it for free though, so that helps. I'm also happy with my new mouse, keyboard and all-in-one laserprinter. They're not perfect, but they're all really nice for what little they cost.

A big part of my happiness with technology stems from the price. Something cheap that truly delivers gives me a good dose of that surpassed-expectation happiness.

Feast your eyes on an amazing bit of engineering circa 1978

1/4

2/4

I got an old scope here too, a much simpler one, but still. Never use it anymore though. It's a shame there's nothing worth scoping anymore. Everything is digital.

3/4

What can I do with spectrum analyzer that I can't do with my tektronixs 2330B O-Scope?

What are these machines for?

I understand I can test components like caps, diodes, etc. with an O-Scope but what are these for? Building wire-less transmission protocols? Nuclear science?

When I got my HTC 10 last year was probably as close as I'll get to true "happiness" when it comes to tech. Sure the U11 looks great and all, but not great enough for me to slap my six hundred bucks down for it.

And I was disappointed beyond belief when the ThinkPad 25 was announced. I'm not paying two fucking grand for a better keyboard and a shitty display.

You don't have enough rf until you start to see plumbing used instead of cables

4/4

>scope
haha no. None of that silly time-domain garbage here.

looks beautiful, what is it?

Ew

Touch screens are shit! SHIT!
Literally the worst development in consumer tech in recent times.

Gross, go away and take your cooties with you.

thistbhfam

>no time domain garbage
so it's even less useful?

>But what was the last time a piece of technology made you genuinly happy?

Atari 800XL

Do you even a phone kek

Powerline ethernet adapters

My first touchscreen phone.

my X220 tablet may be a piece of shit internally, but it's the cutest, smallest laptop I've ever owned.

It's the little things that make life worth living, like THE ACRID TASTE OF BURNING MOSQUITO AS I FRY IT WITH ELECTRICITY, DIE YOU HELL-SPAWN, DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with this.

>haha no. None of that silly time-domain garbage here.

I see you're a man of culture as well.

I was just memeing about the time domain stuff. I have 3 oscilloscopes lying around and they get a lot of use. It's very useful to have spectrum analyzers too though for several reasons. You can often get a lot more information about a signal by looking at it in the frequency domain that you can't easily see in a time domain representation. Beyond that spectrum analyzers usually have much higher bandwidths than oscillscopes. Modern scopes will go up to about 1-2GHz. Modern spectrum analyzers can go beyond 50GHz. For any RF work a spectrum analyzer is essential. Mine only goes to 40MHz which is less than all of my scopes but I wanted one that was relatively cheap and could read down close to DC (most 80s-90s era spectrum analyzers are like 9kHz to 1-10GHz).

>micro-usb and its ubiquity as a standard
>ac to usb power connectors

I mean, i get why usb-c is slowly but surely replacing it now.
It was amazing that everyone could charge every gadget imaginable on whatever hardware was there. Applefags were always sour as shit since no one had their specific charger so they had to bring their own or get fucked by the low battery limit.
Those were better times.

This thing.

It's an absolute piece of garbage. It's packing a single-core 1.6GHz 32-bit processor, 1GB of RAM, and a 4GB SSD. It's not even suitable for the most basic office work, and if I want an up to date OS I'm familiar with, I have no choice but to go with a minimal Debian install with no GUI. I couldn't even complete the install without physical access to a router so I could use its ethernet, because this thing has a Broadcom wireless chip, which is unsupported by free software distributions.

And yet...
The 8.9" screen.
It's so fucking cute.

First time a laptop's ever actually lived up to its name and fit in my lap. Heck, I can hold this thing up on the palm of my left hand and use it with my right.

Still decent for programming. Especially with the extra space conserved from only having a very rudimentary OS installed.

They are damn great.
We stil use them on camping trips and such, since they are so relaxing to operate.

Pentium 3, I believe

Yes of course, and I miss button based phones, they were so much faster to use.

That sounds amazing. What is it?

Upgrading to a 2500K from Phenom II X4 965BE.

My ArmA 2 fps literally doubled.

iPhone SE. I don't have to wait ages for it to reboot, I don't have to worry about slow apps, I don't have to worry about back ups. I don't have to worry about anything.

It's something that is there when I need it and stays out of my way when I don't. It's the best phone I've owned since the Palm Pre.

My first linux install
Its not that linux is amazing, but I was upgrading from 8.1 on a super shitty laptop that could barely handle windows bloat
Just put ubuntu on it but the performance increase was so dramatic for the device it became acceptable to use beyond necessities, I got excited as hell

new light bulb for my refrigerator

Dell Inspiron Mini 910. It was given to me as a gift by my father about 10 years ago. I don't think it's still in production unfortunately.

Dell Mini 9, I have the same thing, albeit with a dead SSD. Mine boots from USB... Slowly.

doubling my ram from 128MB to 256. so much room for activities

Pic related.

>that hand
monkeys aren't allowed on Sup Forums

I recently downgraded, or upgraded, or sidegraded, to a droid 4 with lineage OS on it. Having a keyboard again made me really happy.

Last time a piece of tech made me genuinely happy was my first smartphone that I got in 2010. I was totally anti-social back then so I hardly ever used it to communicate, but holy shit did I love being able to do Anki reps on the go.

Also, putting an SSD into my shoddy 7 year old computer breathed some new life into it, which was nice.

Oh, get over yourself. This is Sup Forums, monkeys are literally the entire population.

How the fuck does someone even have a hand that fat?

Jesus christ.

I'm a big guy.
I'm working on it, though. It's going well.
Also I'm autistic, so, like my brain, my body didn't develop quite right, and has an offputtingly round and youthful appearance all around.

>Anki
I wish I had known about that before, I've been using it to learn chink the last month. What have you used it for in all that time?

I don't think autism works that way.

Going from a 16:9 60hz screen to a 21:9 144hz screen.
It made me so happy, just using the computer feels so much better even on the desktop alone.

the second my new 8TB drive arrived and i inserted it into my nas

sounds lewd

It does. Autism is a pervasive developmental disorder. It's only known for the behavioral effects because the physical effects are more subtle.

At least on the outside of the body. On the inside, we're different in more medically evident ways, such as having weaker and more sensitive nervous systems, and being more prone to coeliac disease.

My Nexus 4, it was the first phone I ever used that did everything right, that wasn't a slow piece of shit or had a cheap plasticky build and I include the pre-4 iphones in that list, DAT GLASS BACK

Also fucking tons of community support, tons of dev-grade apps to do everything

Then google went back to being cheap, then jacked up the prices and finally killed the Nexus brand to release the shitty pixels that had less features than a phone from 2012 but were two or three times as expensive and have all of google's lastest always-listening spyware

That was almost 5 years ago...

You forget that austists are several orders of magnitude more likely to commit a mass shooting than normal people.

That's only relevant to the general topic, not the specific discussion at hand.

Also, in comparison to the pool of total people that there are, the pool of people who have committed mass shootings is far too small to make that sort of judgement with any reasonable certainty. The true probability may be quite far off from the experimental probability, since the sample size is so small.

Also, regardless, I in particular am a very peaceful and nonviolent person. The only person I'm a danger to is myself.

same

>I'm a big guy.
for you

>Also I'm autistic, so, like my brain, my body didn't develop quite right, and has an offputtingly round and youthful appearance all around.
just start doing pull ups

you don't belong here

Someone just wrote a coherent post here and you're going to meme the shit out of him? Give the guy a rest.

post height/weight/age

Recently bought a Schiit Modi Multi, Vali2, and some Beyerdnamic DT990s after coming from chink tier audio. It was wonderful listening to old favorites of mine and hearing some background details I never noticed before. It was like I was listening to the songs for the first time, that made me pretty happy.

>Also, regardless, I in particular am a very peaceful and nonviolent person

yeah okay, whatever fag. We'll see you on the news within a year when you shoot up your community college. At least get a high score, will ya?

It's not a meme. Autists lack empathy and cope with emotional stresses poorly. It's no wonder why many of them get violent. I've always taken a hardline stance on the mentally ill. Our government is full of sissys to afraid to stand up to parents of autistic and other mentally disabled kids. These "people" need to be institutionalized in the interest of public safety. All of them. No matter how high or low functioning. No exceptions.

yeah 80s analog-ditigal hybrid synths are pretty cool. sad they're so expensive now

jesus christ go back to Sup Forums

You're the scum of society, treating people like pigs.

Why even live, right :^)?

>>I'm a big guy.
>for you
wat
>>Also I'm autistic, so, like my brain, my body didn't develop quite right, and has an offputtingly round and youthful appearance all around.
>just start doing pull ups
Like I said, I'm working on it, and it's going well. I'm too fat to start doing pull ups yet, though.
>you don't belong here
Indeed this conservation has deviated pretty far from technology. Maybe we should stop interrogating me about my weird hands and developmental conditions and rein it back in.
>post height/weight/age
5'11" / 356lbs / 23. Not interested in opinions on what a fucking landwhale I am -- again, I'm already working on it, don't really need to hear any more about how I really, really ought to do many things to fix it that it just so happens I'm already doing. I know I really ought to do them, why would I be doing them if I didn't.

If software counts, upgrading Debian to stretch did.

Did I offend your liberal sensibilities?

Either post an actual argument or fuck off and go cry about your hurt feelings on your tumblr alright.

>yeah okay, whatever fag. We'll see you on the news within a year when you shoot up your community college. At least get a high score, will ya?
What a horrible thing to request. It seems you are the one here who lacks empathy.

>These "people" need to be institutionalized in the interest of public safety.
It will never happen because it's too expensive LOL

I'm very happy with my thinkpad t420. Coming from a shitty AMD A10 HP laptop that i ran xubuntu on i'm not surprised it's become my main. I've upgraded the processor and RAM and installed manjaro and i love it. other than that it was when i bought my PS4. i fucking love playing my weeb and normie games like the manchild i am.

>wat
how fucking new are you?
L E A V E

>Did I offend your liberal sensibilities?
I'm not a collectivist like you, but I don't go about crying how people are fucking stupid and need to be institutionalized because they're "lesser".

I've heard prison is harsh on people who kill innocents. I suggest you kill yourself.

>These "people" need to be institutionalized in the interest of public safety.
Frankly I would gladly cooperate with such measures. It would help me lose weight, and I wouldn't have to be around people on a daily basis -- who I love and respect, but don't have the neurophysiological endurance to deal with.

I didn't say it was a good thing. I'm simply implying there is a significantly elevated probability that you eventually go on to commit some kind of mass shooting during some period of emotional distress. It'll either happen when you fail out of actual uni because you aren't as smart as you think you are, or it'll happen because you get rejected by a girl. I'm not sure which. Those are the two events most likely to trigger a killing spree in an autist.

It's arguably more expensive to have to send the police out all the time to clean up after the mess an autist leaves in their wake of their spergout. And frankly we should be spending whatever amount of money it takes to stop people getting killed by these violent monsters.

>implying you'd be considered an innocent by any reasonable standard of morality

>L E A V E
But I want to talk about technology.
Everybody please shut up about my mental problems. They are really not that interesting and this is not the place.
Thanks.

just ignore hype and get excited after you see if it's good, not that hard.

>police out all the time to clean up after the mess an autist leaves in their wake of their spergout.

No it's literally not
>The annual average taxpayer cost in these states was $31,286 per inmate.
nytimes.com/2013/08/24/nyregion/citys-annual-cost-per-inmate-is-nearly-168000-study-says.html

I have those, I really recommend them

First of all, as I said before, the statistic you're talking about is based on such a small sample size it's almost certainly not representative of the general population. While there are certainly disproportionately many mass shooters who are autistic, there are so few mass shooters, autistic or otherwise, that the sample they comprise of the total population cannot be used to judge it. Therefore, the statistical disparity within that tiny sample probably does not reflect a qualitative disparity in the general population.

Furthermore, even if we assume this tiny sample IS representative, my elevated chances of committing a mass shooting are still many orders of magnitude away from 100%. You talk about my prospective involvement in such a crime is an inevitability, but really it's still just a very tiny chance. It's like comparing a grain of sand to an amoeba and complaining about how big the grain of sand is.

So its 4 fs now?

just don't mention that ever again and talk in a different way, problem solved.

Freshly bought cheap chinktablet made me genuinly happy about a year ago.
It was hi dpi 8'' ((("""retina"""))) screen with ability to play 4k 60fps videos without any issues, godlike intel x86_64 compatible processor and vvv sweet appearance for something like ~$200.
Bought "whatever the cheapest" only because of screen, to read books and manga, got monstrously powerful machine which easily lasts more than 14 hours on a single charge. Nice surprise.

Honestly, my Macbook Pro.
World Class OS and GUI with the power of the Terminal.

The gestures are so effortless, my wrists are so comfy. And the build quality. No squeaks, scratches, and wobbles. Perfectly built.

All for 1299 USD which I bought with my Bitcoin gains

my shure se215

Cutelyst. It's a web framework written in C++ that's surprisingly easy to use. Why it makes me happy: it outperforms all the memes Hacker News is shilling (i.e. Phoenix) by over a factor 10.

Underrated.