/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Coffee Lake has been released! Benchmarks / Reviews
techpowerup.com/reviews/

====
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1 (embed) (embed) (embed)

If you want help:
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, try to include information like response time, refresh rate, resolution, and size

CPUs:
>A8-9600 - extremely light gaming if you can't afford a dedicated GPU
>G4560/G4600 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>i3 8100 - Better budget CPU; extra cost of the currently available Z mobos lessens the value of the CPU
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use
>i7 8700K - 144Hz gaming and higher, out of stock pretty much every due to paper launch.

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>RX 550/560 and GTX 1030/1050 - very low budget, consider getting a used GPU instead
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4Gb 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070 / 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced. Vega 56 and 64 are decent choices if you undervolt but availability is low.
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>Consider a 240GB or larger SSD.
>Consider a Wireless Network Adapter, either 2.4 or 5GHz

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_8700K_Coffee_Lake_Memory_Performance_Benchmark_Analysis/9.html
computerbase.de/2017-07/core-i-ryzen-ddr4-ram-benchmark/2/#diagramm-performancerating-fps-1280-720
purepc.pl/procesory/test_procesora_intel_core_i5_8600k_rzeznik_zwany_coffee_lake?page=0,44
purepc.pl/procesory/test_procesora_intel_core_i5_8600k_rzeznik_zwany_coffee_lake?page=0,45
pcpartpicker.com/list/MzrN8K
techspot.com/article/1171-ddr4-4000-mhz-performance/page3.html
youtube.com/watch?v=hCAQpvFhiUs
overclock.net/t/1638955/z370-z390-vrm-discussion-thread
pcpartpicker.com/list/tMc94C
youtube.com/watch?v=HM8ZSA-afRU
pcpartpicker.com/list/vbRr4C
pcpartpicker.com/list/tVL8pb
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Reminder that SSDs are a meme and a HDD combined with an Intel Optane accelerator module is the best price/performance storage solution.

What computer does Poppy have?

Can you fix backlight bleed? can it be returned?

No. Depends on the retailer and country.

>overpriced ssd knockoff
>not a meme
LOL

That sounds like a generic SSHD.

sshd's are a joke honestly. pos in all scenarios.
isnt optane just overpriced nvme? ramdisk would be cheaper

I ran memtest86 and I got 1 error during the hammer test. As far as I knew, all non-ECC ram is vulnerable to rowhammer. Do I actually need to replace my RAM?

Also, does anyone know how to enable XMP on an AssRock B250M-HDV and i5-7600k?

For 1080p,60hz gayming what would be better upgrade new cpu/mbo/ram and leave old gpu for now or just slap in new gpu how big would bottleneck be?700$ budget have to pick one.

>RX 550/560 and GTX 1030/1050 - very low budget, consider getting a used GPU instead
The 1050 is only $20 less than the 1050Ti, so it should not be recommended. RX 560 costs more than the 1050Ti, so it should not be recommended.

new cpu god damn

that shit will bottleneck the graphics card hard

she's so fucking ugly holy shit

All I can say is I doubt it.

If you have a 700USD budget you can easily do both. What currency?

Does Coffee Lake require high speed memory or can I go with 2400 MHz and be safe?

Where do you live? On Newegg every 560 is cheaper than a 1050Ti. They are a bit more expensive than a 1050, while performing at best on par, so it's probably a bad deal though.

RX 560=$130
GTX 1050=$120
GTX 1050Ti=$150
That's just the average price, YMMV depending on store. Really the 1050Ti is kinda trash for that price, but it's *probably* the best value right now.

techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_8700K_Coffee_Lake_Memory_Performance_Benchmark_Analysis/9.html

It supports up to 2666 out of the box so you may as well go with that. If you already have 2400 then you're probably fine. Digital Foundry's been talking about memory spped in gaming for a while, Kaby Lake got a slight boost from the jump from 2133 to 2400. Not as much as Ryzen but it was there.

>techpowerup
into the trash

Do you plan to provide some alternative numbers that contradict their findings?

I guess the 560 just dropped in price a little bit. But the point still stands. Not worth getting a 1050 or 560, because for that extra 20 or 30 dollars you get a lot more performance

Does anyone know where to get the 8700k in (Western) Europe? Does anyone even have this CPU? I see 200 sold on mindfactory but idk if that's just preorders or actual shipped units as they're "out of stock with no expected delivery date" there.

computerbase.de/2017-07/core-i-ryzen-ddr4-ram-benchmark/2/#diagramm-performancerating-fps-1280-720
purepc.pl/procesory/test_procesora_intel_core_i5_8600k_rzeznik_zwany_coffee_lake?page=0,44
purepc.pl/procesory/test_procesora_intel_core_i5_8600k_rzeznik_zwany_coffee_lake?page=0,45
the difference is much bigger than techpowerup shows, mainly because all of their tests are gpu bottlenecked

The first link does nothing to support your argument, with very small differences in play, especially abov 720p. The second site shows absolutely huge, game-changing margins, contrary to both the first link. You can't use both as evidence when they directly contradict either other.

There's one clear outlier though, and it's the site I've never even heard of claiming that you'll get 20-40fps on average out of faster RAM alone. Which is far more than even Ryzen benefits from faster RAM. Very suspicious.

How bad did i do for 100+ fps at 1440p?
pcpartpicker.com/list/MzrN8K

>2017
>His monitor is still 1080/60

Not everyone has autism

Ur just a fag :D

techspot.com/article/1171-ddr4-4000-mhz-performance/page3.html

windwos 7 why

>e-celeb

>homosexual

Gonna be getting a 1080 ti when i fly to the states in a week, but also need a new psu (got a corsair 550 csm gold).

Should I just get 850watts for the heck of it? Was looking at the evga 850 g3, only 110 on amazon. Looking for silent operation.

Should we make a monitor / screen general or just post it here? i feel it should be separate.

anyway, whats a good brand of vesa mount? i see bratech is readily avaliable but how good are they for heavy and large screens?

I already have a copy.

I've actually been pondering this as well, coupled with a large hdd, might be worth it, but optane is a bit too pricey for my tastes.

is arm the white mans processor?

I would get a platinum modular psu instead of paying for wattage you wont use

Are processors where made by white men

Why though, isn’t it that the fan doesn’t spin up before 50% usage?

bought a 1080ti and a 1440p 144hz monitor, costed like $1100 total
hope it was worth it, its hard to even find a 27" monitor with the specs I want that doesnt cost like $800 by itself

>Not liking Poppy

No idea, i dont care about fan speeds. I just like psus that have clean outputs and last a long time

Did they fuck?

Hopefully Fantano and Titantic spitroasted her.

AUD $669 for a Galax GeForce GTX1080 EXOC
can it be beat for a 1080? i feel like the card should cost $500

When can we expect the next gen Nvidia cards? I'm debating if I should get a 1080 Ti now (I have a 980 Ti) or just wait it out.

I am staying in Poland for 5 months or so and I was wondering if pc parts were cheaper here than usual EU countries (I live in Italy). Are there any polish Sup Forumsentlemen that may post some infos?

More expensive or at best the same price. I usually order from germany saves me up to 20%. Don't bother buying anything here.

just like the other user said pretty much everything is more expensive here

Was looking to your build and I think found my next monitor

The Taichi has onboard Wi-Fi, you know.

>1tb ssd for 250 now
Prices sure have come down in the last few years

Yeah the specs on that monitor are really good for the price imo
Thanks, i didn't know that. Saved me 100 bucks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, this monitor have Freesync 2 so if you're using a gtx 1080ti you can't use HDR?
Kinda retarded question but I'm not sure if this relate.

No idea.

So apparently z370 strix boards from Asus have fucked LLC and massive vdroop.

youtube.com/watch?v=hCAQpvFhiUs

I had the z370-f ordered. Guess I'm gonna cancel now. I thought Asus had the best boards, holy fuck

Asus had always been ass

What brand is good then? I'm buying a Z370 soon.

I bought the msi a pro. Some people bitch about msi but they been good to me. Gigabyte is the best brand but i wasnt gonna spend the extra 30 to get it.

Thank you for your time

Hey Sup Forums, question about RAM on GPU's. recently my graphics card died, and i was looking for a replacement. i use my PC mostly for gaming. I was also looking at getting some more ram (have 8gig atm) as ive been experiencing problems running some games with other programs and chrome running.

I was looking at getting a GTX 1060 6gig card to replace my old GTX 780 4gig card. However i saw for a similar price a 580 8gig card (which according to what i googled is a slightly worse card).

Because i was looking for more ram, should i go with the 580, an increase of 4gig? Or does the ram on the GPU not matter and i should get 2 new 8gig sticks either way and buy whatever card?

Sorry if this is explained in one of the links in the general

Anything over 4gb vram on these budget gpus is snake oil. Get the one that benchmarks better

How to tell if a motherboard has good VRMs?

Ask it

The Z370 Gaming 7?

>Z370 Gaming 7
Look here:
overclock.net/t/1638955/z370-z390-vrm-discussion-thread

thanks

I was looking as well on that thread, found this on the OP:

TOP = Gigabyte Z370 SOC Force (unreleased, found on hwbot records) , Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 due to iSL99227B (60A rating) ... top audio,top overkill VRM , ... likely Asus Z370 Maximus X Extreme too

So gigabyte gaming7 seems to have top tier VRMs

is the taichi really worth it if i'm not doing any heavy overclocking?

pcpartpicker.com/list/tMc94C

Sup Forums, help a noob out.

Trying to build a PC for general use and some light video/photo editing. Is my RAM choice ok? High speed RAM availability is scarce in my country.

do you have 600 ohm headphones and do NOT already own a good dac/amp? then yes

250 ohm and i have an amp, not a very good one though

the built in wifi may also be useful for me as well

You probably can get something cheaper that suit your needs, since not you're not doing heavy OC.
But can't go wrong with the Taichi, so it's up to you. Look for mid-range gigabyte/Asus models

i had originally looked at the b350 pro 4 but i could splurge for something nicer

Does anyone know what the per score scaling is like for the handbrake program? I have a 1700X CPU and I encoded a lot of 1080p video as my movie collection is vast. I was just wondering if handbrake scaling is actually able to take advantage of 16 threads, or should I run 2 instances of windows and handbrake. One on the metal, on in a VM each with 4c8t and 16GB ram?

The same could be asked of threadripper.

that ram speed is fine

ASRock taichi board is great. If you have the budget, go ahead and get it. There is nothing wrong with buying an overkill motherboard if it's not taking budget away from another vital component in your build.

I have an Asus crosshair VI X370 paired with my still stock R7-1700X.

oh thought you were talking about Z370. That Asrock model is really good for it's price though.
maybe Asus Strix b350-f gaming?

Building a budget PC soon lads, need some advice.
I'm set on a 1050ti but I still haven't got my heart set on a particular CPU.
I'll upgrade as I go but don't want to have to buy new mobo when I do so do I get a 1200 and pray AMD don't release shit for the next 4 years or get a G4600 and be stuck on Kaby Lake?

Ryzen 2 and Ryzen 3 or whatever it's called is still on AM4 socket. So you can probably can upgrade your cpu using b350/x370 chipset so
get the 1200

>Pray AMD doesn't release anything for 4 years
Why? AMD already said Ryzen, Ryzen+, and Ryzen 2 will be on the am4 socket. So you save money now buying an R3-1200 and buy a Ryzen 2 down the road for a drop in upgrade.

I wouldn't buy Intel. Look at how the fucked their customer based over with the Z170/270/370 debacle. Literally all the exact same socket (LGA1151) but Intel !Alex it so you NEED the new board and chipset for newer stuff.

everything i read about asus was to stay away cause their bios is total shit

I know about the problem that plagues Z370-f which is about LLC as the other user in this thread mentioned earlier. Didn't know about am4 models, if that's true yeah stay away from asus.
thanks for the info

I meant shit as in actual shit, like AM3 era AMD

>being this poor

Oh wow the Taichi is on sale.

youtube.com/watch?v=HM8ZSA-afRU
>i3 8100 - $160
>Ryzen 3 1200 - $100
>Ryzen 3 1300X - $130
>overclocked Ryzen 3 almost matches i3 in gaming and multithreaded benchmarks
Holy crap. I know the Ryzen 3 stick cooler isn't amazing but if you pair a 1200 with a $30-35 Hyper EVO you still have money to spare, not to mention the cheaper mobos. Intel fucked up here by not adding a turbo boost to their i3 lineup.

i ordered this for my first build
1080p/144hz gaming

pcpartpicker.com/list/vbRr4C
thoughts?

getting a more expensive GPU would be off my budget, but would a Ryzen 1700 be better?

Anyone want my Newegg promo code?

BBMV-LY37-UZ46

($10 off next purchase of $100 or more, valid through Oct 30)

1700 won't help it still has the same single core performance.

I would say a 1070 would be good for 1080p 144 Hz gaymen. But a 1060 6GB could do it with lower settings

A 1070/Vega 56 would help you achieve higher framerates than a 1700. But if that's out of your budget a 1060 should be acceptable. Remember to overclock your 1600 to the limit, you might consider buying a higher end cooler. Stock is ok but it's loud and might not get you past 3.8 with reasonable temps.

Just thinking about my build. I have been considering prices.

Questions are:

>Im thinking a Ryzen 5 1500x, which is 225 Canadian dollars where i am. the 1600x is about 300. Should i just go with the 1600x? Im pretty short for cash right now.

>I cant afford a 1060 because the price is like 400 dollars and i cant afford that so i think i will go with a 1050 Ti.

So my idea is

>either 1500x or 1600x
>16gb of ram
>250gb ssd, and maybe a hdd after

Ideally playing games like gta and witcher. Along with ones i already have that i play on my craptop with integrated graphics like Rising Storm 2 and Arma. Probably will not be able to get 60fps with the specs above at 1080 but i can deal with it.

Thanks

What do you guys do with old hardware? Motherboard/cpu, graphics cards, cases, and such. At what point do you start throwing things away?

What's the best low profile HSF for an LGA 1366 socket?

how's the noise on the wraith spire at stock voltages?

Just get the non X 1600 and overclock it. The non X version is the same chip just without the same boost clock and it also comes with a stock cooler. Where as X series chips do not. Use the savings to buy a cheap 1TB HDD. With only a 250GB SSD, games like the Witcher and GTA will fill it up quick

I am considering overclocking. I heard good stuff about the stock cooler as well. gotta try and see

does this look better then ?
pcpartpicker.com/list/tVL8pb

any thoughts about the mobo and PSU?

Ask friends and family if they need anything. Sell it on eBay. Or just build a spare PC out of the parts and maybe $100 investment. Then sell it as a budget PC

Either sell or give it a use such as NAS/home server etc etc
Sometimes give hardware to friends that can't afford stuff