Which one and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wlR5gYd6um0
youtube.com/watch?v=XA2WjJbmmoM
youtube.com/watch?v=3TX3kV3TICU
learnvimscriptthehardway.stevelosh.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=JWD1Fpdd4Pc&t=860s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Emacs because I like the keybinds more, I like how everything is a function more, and I like how it does everything I want out of box before adding anything else.

vim

Pico because I still use Pine.

vim for quick edits, configs, and remote work
emacs for involved text editing like programming or writing LaTeX

Emacs, but I rather use Sublime Text than either. I used Vim a lot and it's a pain in the ass and I don't see the point in learning so much to get so little in return.

Wordpad.exe master race

ed because it's the standard text editor.

Emacs, because emacs is a superset of vim.

>emacs keybinds

spacemacs

Emacs for the same reason I prefer PC over consoles. You can play console vidya on PC, you can even play it on TV with a controller, but not the other way around.
You can have all the vim functionality in Emacs, but not the other way around.

I use Word because Word is a superset of Emacs.

How do I get VIM's "not being bloated as fuck" feature into Emacs?

vim for quick edits, ed for my dadily driver

that makes 0 sense

>vim for quick edits, configs, and remote work
>emacs for involved text editing like programming or writing LaTeX
I find it really hard to keep two separate sets of key binding in my head

Is Emacs 100% compatible to MS Word(TM) Documents?

i dont know since i dont use word documents.
if the answer is no, that doesnt make it superior or better. emacs can open other formats word cant open

but there is a chance emacs can do things with word documents atleast export to word document files

vim for quick configs but atom for actual projects

Use the one that works best for you.

Why not? It can do everything Emacs can (just integrate a whole Emacs instance into Word(TM) through OLE(TM)) and more.
Therefore it's a superset of it.

I use evil-mode in emacs so it's the same in both programs.

ed because its a subset of vim
sam because its graphical ed done right

nano :^]
[spoiler]Just started using linux, redpill me on text editors[/spoiler]

>graphical ed
HERESY

Don't fall for the autism. Nano is fine for most of what you will be doing.

Vim cause I'm a sysadmin

mcedit is better

Here is the list of Youtube videos that took me from knowing nothing to being so comfortable as to installing a vim plugin on my browser. Ignore titles these videos are great for beginners, just watch them in this exact sequence:
Mastering the Vim Language youtube.com/watch?v=wlR5gYd6um0
How to Do 90% of What Plugins Do (With Just Vim) youtube.com/watch?v=XA2WjJbmmoM
Let Vim Do the Typing youtube.com/watch?v=3TX3kV3TICU

To move beyond that read Learn Vimscript the Hard Way by Steve Losh learnvimscriptthehardway.stevelosh.com/

NOTE: I've realized what emacs-like bindings are best suited for when I tried TeXmacs, a godlike LaTeX document processor.

Vim if you just use it for editing, Emacs if you do everything in the terminal

vim because I don't like chords

it's cool if you like emacs though

You can probably run abritrary code embedded in a word document so it probably checks out.

Maybe you need to wrap it in a pdf or something.

Notepad++

ffs just use vim/emacs emulator with a modern IDE and be done with it

this.

Cancer is a superset of your regular cells

Bloated in what sense? Don't use the features you don't need, don't install plugins you don't need, there, solved your problem.
Or are you coding on a tamagochi and the fact that Emacs consumes more RAM than Vim is an important issue to you?

vim

1. Modes make sense for an editor because the common actions are different for reading, writing, and editing. They allow reuse of keys that are easy to type like the home row, so vim has a nicer keyboard interface.

2. The basic actions are much more composable, so key sequences feel natural. Delete is "d". Move to end of line is "$". Delete to end of line is "d$". Emacs doesn't do this by default.

If just going to use Emacs to emulate Vim and not use any special Emacs features, why not just use Vim directly?

"Emacs can have Vim's functionality" is not itself a reason to use Emacs over Vim.

Emacs + evil mode

vim, only because I learned it first. I have no problems with others using emacs. I even wanted to try it at some point, either with something like sticky keys or something like spacemacs.

Of course emacs doesn't do that by default. That's not the point of emacs.

blast from the past

>vim for quick edits
>vim for quick edits
>vim for quick configs

I don't know what you guys are doing. Vim really comes in handy when you're doing real transformations on chunks of text. Genius stuff that couldn't be done in another text wrangler. For quick edits who cares what you turn to?

>because I learned it first

you should watch those videos above, you're probably only scratching the surface, I know I am and I can do shit

to be fair, vim edits text quickly. any amount of text so using vim for quick or long edits makes sense

I use gedit

>Ctrl+v
>Arrow keys
>Shift+i
>Whatever
>Esc
Profit

Real niggas know what im talking about

Ok, but it doesn't really shine until you're swapping phrases around and doing cross-newline manipulations, and reordering stuff.

Or simpler, but still amazing, things like the first video in

Notepad++

i should watch those, thakns for the reminder

Third video just repeats what was said in the previous ones.

Thanks to Luke for teaching me this.

I love vim but the things emacs can do as seen in this video are pretty neat. the guy is pretty awkward though:
youtube.com/watch?v=JWD1Fpdd4Pc&t=860s
why would they allow someone touting emacs at a vim conference though?

Micro is by far the best editor for quick edits. Literally the only terminal editor with sane keybinds.

you mean a monkey who can't code ? that gets paid to install some packages ?

your market is dying with companies more and more replacing their IT infrastructure with optic fibers to the cloud.

emacs + evil mode obvs senpai

nano is probably fine for most what you do. Though you could probably use vim the same way as nano in about 20 minutes, but the productivity ceiling would be much higher.

Same for emacs probably, but I've never tried it so I can't say anything about it

I use vim and visual studio.

Best combination ever.

Vim. Because if you could see the people who recommend emacs in real life, you would instantly realize they are completely insane.

i use ed for the real deal

thats just a regular pleb editor like any other, but on the terminal, why is it sane? nano can do that! and on top of it is written in go...

>nano can do that!
Nano can't even fucking autocomplete brackets

leafpad

from all the editors i tried with auto close brackets/parens/square brackets, ive wished more times that they hadnt closed, so thats a feature for me

I use both.
I mostly use Emacs because I like Lisp and use magit and org-mode.
I use Vim if I need to quickly edit a file when I'm already in the shell, especially if I'm ssh'd into a server.

Honestly, if a programmer can get their work done I don't give a flying fuck what they used to do it. One of the best programmers I ever knew used Notepad.

>One of the best programmers I ever knew used Notepad.

>"Emacs can have Vim's functionality" is not itself a reason to use Emacs over Vim.
not who you quoted but, if it has vim's functionality AND MORE while vim can't do everything emacs does, it is better than vim.
Anyway I don't use either of them (currently using sublime text 3, planning to change) but i am probably going to use Emacs now.

Why not both?

Vim users:
>compose dozens of basic commands to edit a block of text

Emacs users:
>Press five keys and refactor the entire code base

In other words

Vim users:
>Compose basic key strokes manually

Emacs users:
>Compose basic functions using the computer automatically

one of the best programmers I knew uses joe.

emacs. commands are all stored in muscle memory. honestly cant remember what commands I type to do things. does every thing i want

If I can't do it in nano I will open a real text editor like Kate or Gedit

What's the difference? They're all editing the same way

Yeah, thank god the cloud doesn't need Sys admins,.. mirite?

>go
puke

Emacs because elisp >>> vimscript. As if that's not enough there's org-mode too.

gedit

You're missing out

As expected, Sup Forums has hard opinions about software it's never used

Emacs because vim is for cucks, emacs takes skill and can do everything vim can do.

Vim. Because I don't need an entire DE to edit text.

If you just edit config files, even nano is fine. Emacs is for when you want to do more than just edit text.

Reminder that the 'Emacs can do more than Vim' meme stops being true as soon as you discover :! and ctrl-z and start using external Unix programs within Vim.

C-M-Shift-X-Q-V-R-U-~-?-/ to open a file is certainly "more" I guess...

>not liking vim's atomized primitives that you can combine into anything
Emacs is mortal combat controls, its awful.

Yeah, I just love being reminded that I should feel guilty and donate to uganda children

Emacs was written by a man who literally wants to shoot people for not using his definition of Free Software

Not an argument

set shortmess=at

Lol this fucking shit. Vim is convenient as fuck but that shit is annoying.

>open existing file
>don't see the message
>open new file
>press i right away to clear it
>Config it to open new file in insert mode right away
Wow so triggering

OS X with a few VMs open can do anything any other OS can do. Guess that ends the OS war.

And why?

Vim is the normie editor compared to emacs

Literally just "M-x find-file RET". You're bad at text editors.

vim is to emacs as sublime is to atom

The latter is more "free" but is bloated as fuck, vi and sublime were both proprietary but useful

This isn't even close to true what the fuck are you trying to say?

Not really, Vim doesn't have a terminal emulator or X integration. On the other hand, Emacs can run Vim inside a terminal and render HTML and Javascript.