If I told you that high taxes on the rich and corporations post-WW2 contributed a LOT to manufacturing and thereby the...

If I told you that high taxes on the rich and corporations post-WW2 contributed a LOT to manufacturing and thereby the American dream, whereas steady deregulation and the growing dominance of money manipulations, aka the finance sector, from the seventies on started corroding the fabric of the American society, would you call me a commie?

I can tell you that I certainly didn't read this

No, that actually makes good sense... Which many Americans will out of hand reject precissely because of that...

I would tell you that I am Greek.

no if you could prove your point

yes
deregulation started in the late 80s and 90s with repeal of glass steagull act sealing the coffin

only commies rewrite history

Irrelevant. Economic policies are not one size fits all, they depend on the material conditions of the country. One policy might work well with one country, but fail horribly in another. A lot has changed in America since the 50s/60s/70s. Like manufacturing isn't huge anymore. Low taxes might help in an environment where lots of small businesses are actually viable, but if technology raised barriers to entry so that only bigger businesses dominate, higher taxes might make more sense.

BTW, industrial output (in terms of value) is actually at an all time high in the US, it's just employment in that sector is at an all time low because of automation.

Ok I read it, the main thing that caused 'the American Dream' to fail was the fact that our industrial sector is pretty much ded and outsourced.

'The American Dream' is only used by people who are not American anymore, and miscited. What it was, is that you were almost guaranteed a blue collar factory job and live a very comfortable life (house, car, no economic worries) with your earnings on it. If you were to do that now you wouldn't live anywhere near as comfortable of a life.

Money maniuplation fucked people over, there was temporary unemplyoment from 2009 but the main thing that happened was that people lost a lot of money in their retirement savings.

I can't believe I actually wrote a serious post on this dumb board but it gets tiring to see foreigners think that they unironically have this country figured out despite not living a day of their life here.

What if I told you that Nixon was the last good president (Watergate shenanigans aside), and Carter started fucking shit up when he literally lifted the ban on usury?

small fry compared to reagan and clinton

Source

nope.
I have a personal philospphy that in america we have diffrent ideas about policis and that we should work to discuss things in a more debate motion. What you say holds some interesting sway. It sounds like communism but its not complete communism.
Giving people labels when they want to talk about ideas and such limits how deep a discussion should go.

But didn't you essentially agree with me? You said that life as an average joe blue collar worker was easier in immediate post-WW2 US, which basically boils down to what I've said

Oh look, it's another German trying to destroy another continent.

I agree with the the conclusion of your point but I don't agree with how you arrived there. For the simple fact that the loss of our industrial sector caused the lion's share of the issue and other things including what you have cited is a molehill next to a mountain, comparatively.

I'd call you retarded for ignoring the state the rest of the world was in post-WW2 compared to America.

>would you call me a commie?
I would call you an historian.

High taxes on the rich just push the rich to manipulate legislation and their businesses so as to avoid paying as many taxes. Yes it kickstarts businesses to grow and expand, but it's ultimately unsustainable as eventually those who are the most highly taxed will manipulate the system to the point of causing economic issues, which in turn force more restrictive legislation and cause the market to become weaker.

The best tax strategy is to place a sustainably high tax burden on the wealthy, such that they have a drive to constantly rework and improve the structures of their businesses, but allow the middle and lower classes to also carry proportionate weight so that each class has a financial motivation to earn more money.

Check out this graph. Why do the decades often hailed as America's greatest times coincide with Scandi-tier taxes for the highest earners?

I'm not shilling by the way, I genuinely want to know if higher taxes benefitted the US in the past, whereas nowadays they're seen as some Antichrist tool to subjugate the populace

I also find it ironic that you're talking about money manipulation when it's really likely that Germans manipulated the European economy knowing that countries like Portugal and Greece were going to go tits up for their own gain.

America's economy is fundamentally different today though. Taxes are no longer the government's majority income source, we've been running a budget deficit of ridiculous proportions for years and borrowing is far outstripping taxes as the main form of governmental income.

One more question Americans:

when did elections start becoming so expensive?! Surely that correlates with the increase of lobbyism and thereby deregulation, accelerating the financial sector's uncontrolled growth and the most recent recession

LMAO at all the ignoramuses in this thread who actually believed the OP or the counterpoints to the OP.

We achieved greatness because of our wholesome, American values to strive to better not only ourselves, but our communities as well. Morals, not money, drove the American economy to become the world's pre-eminent juggernaut, and the freedoms we protect each and everyday for all Americans and Americans-to-be around the world are what lifted every sector from their prior woes.

>Why do the decades often hailed as America's greatest times coincide with Scandi-tier taxes for the highest earners?
Because for 25 years after WW2 we were the world's economy. I think the American economy after WW2 was 50% or so of the world's total GDP. We only had Scandi-tier tax rates because we had just come out of the largest war we had ever fought and we were worried about the Soviets fucking things up

I just want the government to spend more, because fucking damn the roads are bad nowadays, and also I'd like it if the sheriff's department could afford to hire a few extra hands.

I never trust "government just needs to spend what it's got better/close loopholes/trim the fat" rhetoric as an answer to that, because the times I've seen folks elected to office on that line of talk it never pans out like that. Either spending ends up getting cut across the board, which isn't trimming the fat as much as it is just chopping up a part of the meat and throwing it away, or nothing at all happens.

Hell, I realize that a portion of increased government spending would probably go to projects I see as pointless and wasteful, and I'd still be okay with that as long as the fucking roads and bridges get fixed up some.

Fair point indeed.

>when did elections start becoming so expensive?!
When T.V. became popular

coz they had a whole continent to themselves

Keynes was a cuck

>world is bombed to shit
>all the worlds primary economies over a few years don't even have basic infrastructure anymore
>except for the America's
>Golden age for USA begins since everyone needs to buy from the USA because no one else can even make basic products.

This had more to due with the USA golden age then Taxes/Public Policy/Government/take your pick