/pop/ - Planned Obsolescence Prevention

Planned obsolescence is a cancer killing every product you own. The feeling of replacing everything you own every couple of years, only for the next product to begin degrading a couple of years later.

One-time general thread.
Is your device exhibiting any of the following symptoms?
>decreasing battery life
>sluggish performance after updates
>less stable system
>rapid degradation of electrical components
>more frequent data corruption

What are some ways of decreasing the effects?
>disabling automatic updating and only updating your device for the first year
>never update after a new product has been released
>make sure to keep replaceable parts of your device in their best performing condition and replace when necessary
>clean and take care of existing components
>use resource-light and non-proprietary software

This thread is dedicated to coming up with ways of making your tech last as long as possible.

>one-time
>general
make up your mind.

I want to see how this thread goes, and depending on the outcome and if anyone's interested I'll make it a general.
I don't want to clutter up the board with useless generals.

Some more tips:
>prefer old products with adapters to new products with proprietary standards
>purchase non-battery-based tech used, in particular if it'll be used for work or education
Another one:
>repair what you can with USED components
New components from third-party sources can potentially be defective which is why nearly any part besides those that wear out quickly such as the battery should be replaced with used once.
Junk products sold for parts can end up providing more than one part at a lower cost than singular refurbished parts.
Ebay is an excellent source for such parts.

This didn't need to be a general

b2r and then kys

>don't replace your electronics
>replace your accessories

>Planned obsolescence is a cancer killing every product you own. The feeling of replacing everything you own every couple of years
>>make sure to keep replaceable parts of your device in their best performing condition and replace when necessary
>replace when necessary
>replace

Here with my old Fagbook Pro
>decreasing battery life
It actually is, and it sometimes just shuts itself off regardless of what the battery indicator says.
Nope! like 5 or 6 years old and still as snappy as ever
>less stable system
Aside from the battery thing, it all just werks.
Not that I know of.
I haven't had any corruption at all. does that make me lucky or something?

I think he meant replacing only components, rather than the whole fucking system.

Replace not accessories, I meant replace things that can potentially destroy other components if they fail or corrupt other components of your device instead of waiting too long and then having to buy a new device.
For example replacing a battery that's rapidly degrading.
Sluggish performance is more smart-phone related since an update can't kill a computer as easily as it can kill a phone, but I'm surprised it's still stable.

I like the idea, here are some powersaving software:
Linux-PHC (+ phc2sys)
cpupower
cpufrequtils
PowerTOP
TLP
thinkfan
tpfancontrol

I feel like the 2500K kind of skipped the whole planned l obscolescence thing. No sign of degradation whatsoever.
Sometimes I even hope it'll die because I'm a consumerist whore and then I'd have a reason to upgrade but it's just trucking along its way

Planned Obsolescence is a logical development of the market, you will never get rid of it.

I know I can't get rid of it.
Doesn't mean I can't hold my ground if I want to.

If they companies do what they need to in order to thrive, I'll do what I need to in order to help myself as much as possible.
I'm not against the companies that are putting this into place, as such is simply a side-effect of living in a free market system, but as a consumer I have every right to make my products last as long as possible.

Mah man.

Many CPUs last a long time.
Most prone components on PC would be hard drive, SOME power supplies, and SOME motherboards and in particular their IO.

>tfw want to learn board repair like Louis so I can only buy capacitors and chips instead of replacing my entire motherboard

Board repair isn't actually very hard unless you are dealing with BGA or QFN IC packages which can be a pain. Some of the smaller SMD stuff can be a bit challenging too but a steady hand and some practice and just about anyone can get the hang of it. You just need a decent soldering iron basically and some flux. Vacuum desoldering pump and hot air rework station helpful but not required.

The real issue is figuring out the exact failure point on a board. It won't always be obvious, in fact it will very rarely be obvious.

Dude, you just use your loupe to see corroded shit.

buy 2 x macbook pro 2012, swap out parts when one breaks

use both though

Should get 10 years out of that. I am up to 5 years....touch wood

Replace components you twit. So instead of chucking the whole device because it blew a 50c resistor, you just solder a new one in.

Just don't buy apple and samsung shit.
there, fixed.

Corrosion will almost never be the cause of any motherboard failure unless you are a total slob and spill liquids over it and never bother to clean it or you store shit in an obscenely moist environment.

I've been mad for 6 years that the link I sent my mom was for the i5-2500 and not the K version. I knew which version to get, I even got a P67 motherboard for overclocking. The price difference was 10 damn dollars at the time.

Ah well, the 2500 is still pretty good and someday 2500k/2600k/3570k will be cheap enough used.

I do store shit in your mom's cunt tho.

>decreasing battery life
My oneplus used to last nearly a day and a half on a signle charge, now it doesn't last two hours

god yes

>less stable system
Yeah

My mic died so I had tor eplace the ribbon, now the wifi/telecom signal is fucking up. Other people on the same network frequency/provider/plan as me (had to test this out) get full bars while I get no signal

My documents start wiping themselves occasionally now. I have a backup of all my shit just in case

>disabling automatic updating and only updating your device for the first year
Because of the weird encryption issue with my oneplus and twrp I can't update because apparently my password isn't the right one, when it is

>never update after a new product has been released
Oh my god do I try

>use resource-light and non-proprietary software
I could use any excuse under the sun, so let's just leave it I can't

Ew, you shouldn't shit in anyone's cunt. That's a great way to get an infection.

Clean dust out of case and fans, replace thermal paste.

Get good things, even if they're used. $300 T420 > $300 consumer laptop.

Don't buy anything newer than 6 months. The first production runs and software versions are where all the issues and bugs come up, and the price is highest. A few months to a year later the product is more mature and maybe had a price drop.

Sell your old/unused/impulse buy stuff rather than letting it sit in a closet (within reason, keeping backups / spares / nostalgia can be ok). I have a hard time with this one (10 thinkpads here I come).

5 yrs with my Lelnovo Y580, still plan to keep it longer desu

>chinkshit

I’ve been buying blackberry for the last few years after samshit phones kept breaking down on me. Might want to see if you can pick up a priv for cheap. Could also get the leap, but it has pretty basic hardware.

something something windows 10 Enterprise LTSB something something