Why not use KDE Plasma 5.11?

Why not use KDE Plasma 5.11?

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/kwin-standalone-git/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>that CPU
It's time for an upgrade user.
>Why not use KDE Plasma 5.11?
I use it on my laptop but wayland and Kwin fuck up every once in a while and take like 5 minutes to come back.

looks fucking ugly that's why.

Not as bad as gnome, but still. Both are garbage.

Because I don't use a server OS as my primary OS

I tried but my computer won't boot whenever I install it. Tried many distros and it never works. I'm a budgie bitch now

Because whenever I close the lid it pastes thousands of notes on the desktop.

It's not 100% there, in my opinion. It could stand to use a little bit of polish. While I was using it, there were some little things that irked me--for example, window resizing was absolutely disgusting. The display manager would sometimes just randomly kill itself. For all the memes about >muhfilechooser, it would absolutely shit the bed if you tried opening a folder with a very large number of files. There was also this nasty looking shit. I mean, some of this stuff I'm complaining about is just superficial, but it really does irk my autism to no end.

The functionality was absolutely there and was fantastic, but the experience just felt a little bit unpleasant. That being said, I think it's pretty damn close to being a very solid DE, and I look forward to it hopefully getting a bit of polish in the future.

I wish I could, has always been too buggy whenever I tried to. Using XFCE +Kwin now though. It was the only window manager I could find which works properly. Tried just about all others

I don't like the control/information density of the UI, it makes me sick
>install kde 5.something
>first impression, this isn't so bad
>open dolphin
>toolbars on the top, on the left and on the bottom and a sidebar on the left
>there is even an option on the toolbar to turn on thumbnails which is off by default
>why?
>open start menu, it's full of empty space, ignore it
>open settings, a sea of options even for the smallest things, now starting to feel sick, close
>open konsole
>again toolbars everywhere, open preferences, get sick at the amount of options and the misaligned ui
>right click on the panel to customize it, again a bunch of option and some crazy control that I don't know what they are supposed to do
I want a user interface that gets out of the way and let's me focus on the application I work at the moment
Window managers like openbox, i3, do that, xfce does that, gnome mostly does that (if it wasn't so bloated and it didn't have these fuck-huge window decorations on non-gnome-apps)
KDE doesn't so I won't put up with it's shit

What features does kwin have over xfwm4?
What features does kwin have over xfwm4+compton+devilspie?
Is it just for the animations or the is something else too?
Genuinely curious

No not for the animations. First of all in every stand alone WM I've tried, they often have maximizing bugs. Super annoying when I go to close a window at the top right pixel of the screen and it's not actually maximized it's just the exact size of my screen, so it closes the window behind it.

Also, I have never been able to get xfwm/any stand alone compositor to work without screen tearing. Also, xfwm is broken out of box. All the themes it comes with have 1px border or are crazy large accessibility themes, which would be fine if it weren't for the fact that they still haven't fixed the bug where 1px visible border = you have 1 pixel area to grab with mouse. Other WMs solve this by having 1px visible border but 4px or so grab area around it.

I was using bare bones mutter for a bit because it also seemed to work well, but has terrible defaults you can't change. I tried ripping out the default source code and compiling a mutter plugin myself but couldn't figure it out/didn't have the time. I wish there was a lightweight WM that ran on top of mutter, I'd use that. I had to pull in a GB of dependencies to use Kwin lol

>ublumtoof

>I had to pull in a GB of dependencies to use Kwin lol
If you're interested, there's a standalone Kwin package in the AUR that doesn't pull in all of the kbloat.

aur.archlinux.org/packages/kwin-standalone-git/

kde is really comfy but i prefer a tiling wm

because I like stock gnome

"Gay" DE Plasma as we call it in the industry is the worst desktop environment, made as a joke by developers using pseudonyms to blow off steam

> plasma
> huge clock
Everytime

better than no clock

I wear a clock on my wrist

B-but I am.

This.

>xfwm just werx

>everything with a K infront of its name just breaks and bugs

>linux
>no games
yeah, no.

because it's bloated, buggy, unstable, works like complete shit on nvidia cards and it's uglier than a feminist in a hogpen

soooooooooooooooooOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOoooo ugly, was this thread meant to convince or deter people from using kde? I can't tell...

>bloated
Maybe, but at least it uses less ram than Gnome.
>buggy
Not more than Gnome.
>unstable
Not more than Gnome.
>works like complete shit on nvidia cards
>fell for the nvidya meme
kek

GNOME doesn't look like complete and utter shit out of the box like KDE does.

>updated a ton of components yesterday
>all favourites now gone
>crashes randomly
I was a good run. I'll keep it around in case I ever get the overwhelming urge to fix it.

That is not the look of stock gnome. Stock gnome looks like shit. Install gnome on a bare arch install or boot into something like tails to see how shitty stock gnome actually looks.

>slow start of DE
>slow start of Dolphin

That is stock GNOME on arch with papirus icons and a wallpaper, buddy.

>"stock" gnome with custom icons, dash-to-dock extension, custom wallpaper and no ugly windows open
You sure showed us.

>Papirus icons.
>wallpaper.

> default look.

Also unless Gnome changed a lot since the last time I tried it, those transparency settings aren't stock either.

>that is stock GNOME that is not stock
Kek

Wow, one extension for transparency. Not that it even looks bad on default opaque. Compare how long it takes to install 1 extension and change your wallpaper to how long it takes to fucking rice KDE and make it not shit, the difference is hours.

>no ugly windows open
Which ones? I have no idea what you're talking about here.

One of the worst things about GNOME (besides the useless panel) is the huge and ugly window borders. Besides, I can make KDE look good in less than 10 minutes.

One of the worst things are faggots like
It looks horrendous on opaque. It looks even worse on older hardware or lower resolution screens. Sure it can look good, but out of the box nothing really beats KDE.

SHUT UP ALREADY. DEFAULT GNOME IS THE PINNACLE OF MODERN UI DESIGN.

>Icon hell
why do people do this?

Yes, opaque is truly an assault on the eyes. Fuck off you pedantic faggot, base GNOME completely kills base KDE.

I don't find the panel useless, I ran i3 with no bar for a few months and I missed the at a glance info like time/weather, the titlebars are fixed with 1 extension also, the combined time of installing them both would be like 30s.

OP is just retarded, probably didn't find the setting to turn it off.

> 4.13.5 kernel
> 5.38 frameworks

Might as well go with Jessie at this point, zach.

Just face the music. Your desktop looks good. But it's not stock gnome. Unfortunately, this is.

Panels are not useless. GNOME panel is. The devs are way too fucking dumb to consider shit like Top Icons Plus (discontinued, btw), Global Menu and Pixel Saver as default and keep stripping shit away from the panel. It's basically a display-wide clock by now. Meanwhile they hide all the functionality behind a thousand unnecessary clicks. I personally use 24px top panel with Dash-To-Panel to include shit like dash up there, not rendering it completely useless.

Yep, you got me dead to rights, that picture of a years old version of GNOME (3.22) is absolutely what it looks like out of the box today, nothing at all has changed in the last 4 versions.

Because i3.

It still has so many confusing menu bar entries, they should get rid of that File Edit Tabs stuff

regards, 8 years old average Gnome user

I agree with you on the unnecessary clicks thing, hopefully they abandon the tablet-friendly experiment like microshit has and start moving back towards GNOME2.

>2017
>Using desktop icons
I use KDE but fuck off with that shit

>Chrome

funnily enough KDE is the only fucking DE that can handle desktop icons in a non-retarded way on a multi monitor setup unlike every other dumbshit DE out there

You can disable or enable whatever the fuck you want in KDE applications. Teh only application that has visible menubar in my setup is Kdenlive. Rest use customized toolbar with functions I use 99% of the time. Less clutter than GNOME.

But I partially agree and have long been telling devs they need to get their shit together when it comes to defaults.

But I do use KDE Plasma 5.11

Because Gnome is de facto standard desktop environment for Linux.

Not even close. GTK is the GNU's baby though.

how much ram does your system use as soon as you boot it and no background programs are active? I don't mean to sound ironic, I'm genuinely curious.

is this the new ebin Sup Forums meme? i visit infrequently here

when I try to update to 5.11 it doesn't let me because this "antergos-kde-setup" package keeps conflicting

> KDE users first world problems
kek

damn that is fucking hideous. show me a kde that doesn't look like a shit

Didn't you listen when Sup Forums told you to stay away from those shitty Arch Linux installers? Just learn to install Arch yourself or pick use another distro

wow guys i didn't know this was the new desktop thread!

> all that black
doesn't it hurt your eyes?

That cpu is fine for anything useful. Come back and post here when you're older than 17

No, it's a Sup Forums meme

Looks worse than the pic in the OP

Because I just haven't gotten around to updating yet. Also, Wayland a shit.

uh no it does the opposite
do u want me to make it all white or something??

Haha, no.

no I mean that I find it very confusing, because I can't see lines and separators.

Completely depends on one's opinion. My point being that KDE can be customized quite heavily to one's liking.

> hige clock
It makes me puke anytime.
Also any DE can be customized to one's liking

Not any and KDE makes it easy with a million guis instead of having to do sometimes retarded config file hijinks.

>power inefficient
>space-heating
>can't play over 1080p
sure thing bud, stop pretending it's 08' in here.

>video resolution
>having anything to do with a cpu

Fair enough, but the other points still stand. You may not need the performance if you're not gaymen but you must admit that in anno domini you deserve something at least a bit better.

CPU barely handles any load even in games, you're more limited in other places long before CPU throttling becomes a thing. Power and cooling really have no impact on performance either. Something about people from Sup Forums makes them think that hardware choice actually matters without ever learning what is really important and useful. I wish they'd all just go back.

Plasma 5.12 will fix that, bro.

unless you have video drivers. that will never be unshit.

Use the dark theme you degenerate.

>>power inefficient
I am sure he can afford the extra 30 cents per year
>>space-heating
Sounds like a great extra perk especially now in the fall
>>can't play over 1080p
You damn child, 1080p is more than enough unless you watch the screen with your nose touching it.

it's ugly, inconsistent, unstable and bloated

I use MATE because I hate myself and embrace the ugliness.

because I don't use students' software, unprofessional software like linux

Are you the same one from the desktop thread on /w/? If I recall correctly, you are Matthew (or Mattia I'm not sure) and have a X220.

Hey, I'm just saying. I use an Atom N550 and it's not really pleasant.

>arch
>server OS

I am, on my fresh gentoo

Yeah, I'm Mattia, but I don't have a X220.