How often do you reinstall your distro of choice?

How often do you reinstall your distro of choice?

I just reinstalled Arch today and it's lightning fast. Easily 10 seconds off boot time and everything opens much faster, what the fuck

Almost never, Manjaro runs smooth as butter on my 850

>boot times
>OP cannot into systemd

What did you just say?

Poettering is better than you in everyway, you racist homophobic piece of shit. Why don't your criticize his software when you write your own and see how hard it is. I bet you're one of the CVE trolls. FUCK OFF, NAZI PUNK!

>white background
my neet eyes

It's too beautiful to look at isn't it. Just like the sun, there's too much beauty and that's why your eyes hurt.

Anyone know a way to check how long my system has been installed??

neets dont have eyes

sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sdX1 | grep 'Filesystem created:'
Where X is the device containing the installation

Thanks!

I don't understand how anyone can have dark themes. I guess my eyes are completely fucked.

actually i could use light themes but i have lights turned off all the time

Depends mainly on the conditions you are using the screen.
For example, in my phone and laptop I mainly use a light theme since I generally use them outside of my house because of the sun or reflections. While in my desktop I have a dark theme mainly because I use it at night with lights turned off.

I'm fine with light themes after a minute or so, given that my lights are on

>reinstalling
nah, i just dist-upgrade my Debian every other year
Filesystem created: Sun Oct 17 19:14:16 2010

Holy shit. That's cool.

Whether you are really a leftist idiot or a troll from Sup Forums,
(Thou)

never. I have a mac, they "just work"

Arch user here

Filesystem created: Fri Feb 12 21:24:32 2016

no one does

apart of winshit users

ubuntu
every six months
17.10 looks good boys

I thought one of the advantages of linux was is didnt slow down like windows?

I have a year old manjaro install that still seems perfect

You're correct. It doesn't slow down for no reason.

There are FS reasons why it would slow down marginally (or more on certain FS') but the default filesystems don't really do this much at all even without explicit defragmenting.

- Gentoo for 13 years.
PS: Many things got directly faster or more parallelizeable during those years, too. Overall it's probably faster.

Less than once a year.

I have a friend how keeps installing gentoo.
He installs it and then wipes the whole thing and installs again.
send help

Your "friend" must be bored. Gentoo is something you install and just use. Maybe you refine its configuration a bit over time.

>Easily 10 seconds off boot time and everything opens much faster, what the fuck
You are retarded OP. Learn how to manage your services. Reinstalling your OS doesn't cast a magic spell on your computer that makes it faster.

>Using non-LTS release
costanza.jpg

Filesystem created: Sat Aug 19 21:39:25 2017

Neat, I've been using linux for almost 2 months!

tomorrow's your anniversary

I actually have the same installation from 2006 on my pentium D machine upgraded from etch(testing) to lenny squeeze and wheezy(all testing) which is when I put it on the side.
My eeePC had lenny stable until 2 weeks ago, when I upgraded its ram and put stretch on it. Which is going to change to q4OS with trinity desktop.

My desktop right now was last formated in 2014(when I bought it) and still runs debian on the testing branch without formats in between.
My laptop, which I also got in 2014, was formatted once due to my experimentation with s/w which broke a hell lot of package dependancies and I decided in 2015 to format it.
It still goes strongwith the same installation since 2015 although I maintain more than 20 git pulls because I use patched s/w, like gnuradio and wireshark.
Once you get your shit right with debian it's easy to keep it in mint condition for decades.

And here's pick related from my 2014 laptop

Just installed Gentoo this week
Will probably reinstall in 2 weeks

I like to reinstall every few years. Usually with major hardware changes or drive changes. Instead of dealing with hassle of migrating seems like a good opportunity to start fresh. Clear out a bunch of old packages I'm probably not using anymore etc.

$ head -n1 /var/log/pacman.log | grep -Po '\d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2}'
2015-12-22

Never

terminal font?

why should I reinstall?

head -n1 /var/log/pacman.log | grep -Po '\d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2}'
2014-07-18

it failed only once, when infinality was deprecated by freetype. now tell me more about how unstable arch is.

I used to reinstall few times a year even when I stopped distro hopping. I used to jump between arch and ubuntu whenever new ubuntu version would come out, hoping that maybe this time they actually got it.
But since I started useing i3-wm, I haven't reinstalled once because it's such a pain in the ass to configure everything I am not going to ever reinstall it again.

You beat me by a bit
2014-12-23 11:51

No reason to reinstall Arch.

Sadly the server hardware died so we had to update the OS, so now:

Filesystem created: Tue Dec 29 23:25:19 2009

uptime:
19:59:37 up 632 days, 22:10, 40 users, load average: 0,10, 0,06, 0,06

Welcome to the Arch club. Finally you see, it's not just a meme.