Cell service providers caught selling personal information to any site you connect to

medium.com/@philipn/want-to-see-something-crazy-open-this-link-on-your-phone-with-wifi-turned-off-9e0adb00d024
>In December of 2013, AT&T announced their Mobile Identity API, available only through an enterprise contract with AT&T. Verizon later announced something similar. It looks like both Danal and Payfone are paying for access to these enterprise telco APIs[1], [2].

>These services are using your mobile phones IP address to look up your phone number, your billing information and possibly your phones current location as provided by cell phone towers (no GPS or phone location services required). These services are doing this with the assistance of the telco providers.
Basically if you're doing anything over your cellular data connection and not using Tor or a VPN, whatever server you connect to (be it a web site via a web browser, email server via an email client, IRC server via an IRC client, or even pinging) can get your name/phone number/address without needing any client side code execution due to the requests for your information being handled by your cell service provider.

Things just won't stop going horribly wrong. How much longer until normal ISPs are caught doing this?

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0891061815000599?via=ihub
ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19810017132.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They probably already are

Just fuck this world desu

Nobody cares about stupid phoneposters

We already know ISPs sell your data. Is this something different?

OP here, I personally stopped using a cell phone a couple years ago. The problem here though is that if regular ISPs start doing this, then any way you try to protect yourself from fingerprinting that doesn't involve a VPN, Tor, or using someone else's WiFi connection is going to be completely worthless.

>he owns an nsa rovng bug
Dump your smartphone son. I went back to my flip phone and use it for its intended purpose - being a phone only.

There's a massive difference between selling "anonymized" metadata, and handing your actual personal information over to sites/ad providers you connect to.

2013! Why are we only learning of it now?

AHA, and people thought I was weird for still using an old netbook when I wanted to use the internet on the go. On a side note, where the hell is the ability to do this listed in AT&T's privacy policy? I'm worried about the idea of normal ISPs doing this now.

In addition to this , it should also be noted that the normal means of ISPs selling your metadata are limited by sites that use SSL/TLS, while this can get around that.

>>he owns an nsa rovng bug
>implying dumb phones aren't as well
>implying cell service providers don't sell your location data that they collect from the cell towers you connect to

Link didn't work for me, does T mobile even do this?

Cell phones cause brain damage and ravage the body on almost every level, and even if you tell people, provide proof well beyond a reasonable doubt, they continue to use them. Therefore, whether you have one or not, you continue to be acted upon by their use.

At this point I hope cell phones destroy everything and everyone, on nearly every level.

Yea link doesnt work for me. Tmobile here.

Tmobile here, link doesn't work. Does this mean that they haven't done this yet?

> 2017
> still hasn't setup a free openvpn server
Asking for it

It only says verizion and At&t and it seems the link didn't work for any of us so I guess we're safe.

How bad is this? I turn mine on airplane mode and put it behind rf shielding, because I use it as an alarm on bedstand, next to head. I think it still tries to ping cell tower. Is it just as bad to keep it in pocket, away from head?

If you can use it, it's too close. If you can see it, it's too close. There is an (understandable) presupposition that there is a meaningful dose response curve, "I'll just use it a little", but overall it's false. SARs as low as 0.5mW / cm2 produce an effect, as that effect is non-thermal. Studies on a number of systems find very little difference between 5 minutes of exposure, and 30 minutes. Sometimes certain aspects will adaptively return to baseline after a certain amount of time, often they won't. I won't touch on induced sterility and raised probability of birth defects right now.

A few posts will follow where I'll copy and paste come posts I made earlier. I feel pretty braindead lately so I'll just have to rely on past-me.

Exposure to pulsed microwave / VHF / ELF fields, in conjunction with exposure to environmental toxins, and possibly dietary nutritional deficits.

I'm not kidding either, or shitposting something I got from crank blog. Whether the hard mechanistic approach, epidemiology, histology, all the data agrees and paints a very clear picture. Unfortunately it's also at a level of complexity that I can't concisely communicate the totality of it (pearl chain formation, conformational changes of membrane bound glycoproteins, altered electron transport of compounds binding to receptors, generation of soliton waves, despiraling of DNA, and other signalling problems) so I'll just focus on the most direct pathway, which is L-type voltage gated calcium channel activation (though other channels are activated). More or less, the cell membrane and other factors of the intercellular space acts as an amplifier, which is what they're supposed to do, that's how signal transduction in the body generally works. But in this case it's aberrant signalling, it acts on the voltage sensing subunit, leads to chronically elevated intracellular Ca2+, upregulation of iNOS activity, and gradual downregulation of superoxide dismutase, gluthionine reductase, and a few others. superoxide then can react with nitric oxide, and form peroxynitrite. Other processes form H2O2. Gluthionine etc stores are quickly exhausted and cell death or damage quickly accompanies the systemic dysfunction. Calcium channels also regulate neurotransmitter release. Melatonin synthesis is also inhibited, and amyloid beta etc generation is elevated. A grand combination. But that's just the brain, direct, the rest of the body is affected as well.

More or less, avoid wi-fi, cell phones, bluetooth, proximity to digital television broadcasting stations, etc.

Sources I mentioned:
Everything by W.R. Adey or S. Bawin, including "Nonlinear Electrodynamics in Biological Systems", 1984.

A few examples:
Adey 1981 - Tissue Interactions With Nonionizing Electromagnetic Fields
Adey 1988 - Effects of Microwaves on Cells and Molecules
Adey 1990 - Joint Actions of Environmental Nonionizing Electromagnetic Fields and Chemical Pollution in Cancer Promotion
Adey 1993 - Biological Effects of Electromagnetic Fields
Bawin 1973 - EFFECTS OF MODULATED VERY HIGH FREQUENCY FIELDS ON SPECIFIC BRAIN RHYTHMS IN CATS
Bawin 1975 - EFFECTS OF MODULATED VHF FIELDS ON THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM
Bawin 1976 - Sensitivity of calcium binding in cerebral tissue to weak environmental electric fields oscillating at low frequency
Bawin 1978 - Ionic factors in release of Ca2+ from chicken cerebral tissue by electromagnetic fields
Bawin 1996 - Extremely-Low-Frequency Magnetic Fields Disrupt Rhythmic Slow Activity in Rat Hippocampal Slices

Raines 1981 "ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELD INTERACTIONS WITH THE HUMAN BODY: OBSERVED EFFECTS AND THEORIES" (NASA)

That provides a solid foundation, more modern and specific stuff is readily available. You can start with:
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0891061815000599?via=ihub
And start following citations. There's a lot out there showing calcium channel activation, single and double strand breaks, cell death in the hippocampus, (especially dentate gyrus), and cerebellum, albumin staining from blood brain barrier leakage, and altered dendritic morphology with reduced arborization in pyramidal neurons. Etc.

Also, here this is a review that is freely available, and delves into some interesting and lesser mentioned aspects, like pearl chain formation.
ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19810017132.pdf

As above, material on specific frequencies and transmission techniques is readily available. Quite a lot has been published on GSM-900/1800, wi-fi, etc. Elevated oxidative stress, apoptosis, and degeneration of various cell populations is a common finding, as is altered functionality.

>More or less, avoid wi-fi, cell phones, bluetooth, proximity to digital television broadcasting stations, etc.

Sucks that it's impossible to avoid unless you live in a rural area or something. For instance, I live in an apartment and even if I turn off my wifi antenna when I'm not using it, there's still like 20 active networks I could connect to in my area.

So AT&T offers a "mobile identity API" for enterprise users, /intended/ to fight fraud; but these companies are using it to sell the data to advertisers?

Am I on the right page here?

Supposedly the links got taken down after this became known about.