>Not homosexual so Mac is out of the question
>Actually believe in Unix philosophy

I think it's time for a BSD general

No

Why not a FreeDOS general?
Why not a Hurd General?
Why not a Minix general?

Now seriously, why not an OS general?

FreeBSD needs a lot of polishing. Linux is slowly reaching the mainstream market as it's very close to surpass MacOSX. AMD is very much involved in Linux too. Unfortunately FreeBSD patches are coming very late. For example, Ryzen and Vega archs were compatible with Linux since day 0 and the drivers kept updating.

On FreeBSD, Ryzen wouldn't work because powerd was causing some issues. The polaris support, last time I checked, was not there.

I'm gonna say it and you gonna hate it: GPL is working, BSD isn't.

GNU is a clusterfuck. Even Sup Forums admits that. How many lines is GNU/cat up to now? It's a unix replacement designed by people who hate unix and the unix philosophy. I'm not a GNU/Communist so I don't give a shit about the GPL. I also want a system that's engineered from the ground up together. Not one from column A and one from column B shit. Also, systemd is disgusting and I'd rather have a system without it from the get go than having to work around it like people trying to use Arch without it or the Devuan devs. Probably the only Linux distro I would ever touch these days would be Slackware. But that doesn't have the ports tree.

>GNU is a clusterfuck
>GNU
Your bias is showing, don't confuse the license with the project, or best said the projects, as they are not one but many. Nobody likes to see a BSD user behaving like a bigot.

>Even Sup Forums admits that.
Literally who?

>the unix philosophy.
Massively over-rated. Your web browser is not unix, your video player is not unix, your picture viewer is not unix. Apparently anything can be unix if you throw 15k at a bunch of faggots (see Apple)

I know modularity keeps complexity at a minimum but in real use cases, piping outputs from application to application is costly and hinders performance. Wake up.

>Rest of the pointless blabbering
Holds value of 0.

Instead of shitting up someone elses thread, why don't you make the thread you want to post in instead? You people act like it's impossible to create threads and you're stuck with what we already have, I hate that.

He has right on one point, modularity is important and systemd shows why. They implemented a bootloader now and the code base keeps on growing. We already know browsers are so stupidly designed they are broken.

I do agree with you about unix has now become a mere brand someone can buy the name, but doesn't mean the philosophy is not important, it does.

I am just stating a solution, no need to get mad about it. Isn't Sup Forums hating too many generals?

install gentoo

Fucking this. All of you are just as capable of creating the threads you complain you want as anyone else.

>Apparently anything can be unix if you throw 15k at a bunch of faggots
Unix ≠ UNIX. You're discussing the Unix philosophy, OS X is UNIX certified. Also, you don't just throw money at the Open Group and get to call your OS UNIX, you spend $15k per architecture to have your OS tested to comply with thousands of pages of specifications.

>not one but many projects
You've made my point for me. No cohesiveness at all in GNU.

>Your web browser is not unix, your video player is not unix, your picture viewer is not unix.

I try to keep them as simple and single purpose as possible. LuaKit, mpv, and xv for the 3 you mentioned. Also CWM for my window manager. I would prefer a simpler web browser especially, but I have yet to find one that is even reasonably up to date. I at least block ads at my hosts file rather than cludging shit onto the browser.

Sorry but cohesiveness sounds a bit foggy, maybe you mean interoperability between the software?

Also, I am not the other guy, but you sounds to be doing what I do. My video player of choice is mpv (but now migrating to mplayer), my image viewer is sxiv, and my window manager is ratpoison. Same problem as you in the browser department. I have hopes a developer team comes in and change this, unix style.

>Too many different OSes, too many different tastes, too many different postures, too many different objectives, too many different ideologies, too many faggots and straight people in one board.
One thread can't solve it all.

I'm sorry for being angry, I've been having a rough time lately and it's not right of me to take it out on you or anyone else.

Don't worry user, I can relate to that.

OpenBSD is best BSD.

>still using ffs

HAMMER2 might get ported once it's ready

>install freebsd on a VM
>choose gnome as DE
>run chromium
> system hangs
>reboot
>run chromium
> system hangs
>delete VM

>Massively over-rated.
>i think stable and well designed software is over-rated everybody needs an OS that is as vulnerable and put together like legos by a toddler. professional software development, HA, what a loser

honestly kill yourself, you have not understood a single thing about software development or technology for that matter and this board is not welcoming larping faggots like yourself

That is really exciting but why not ZFS?

BSD literally hate their own users, so no thx

because the license is to strict and dilon apparently like to write stuff from scratch

>install bsd
>finally get to use my 32 gigs of ram because of zfs

unused ram is wasted ram, r-right?

>tfw turbotards discussing shit oses while I use The Windows Operating System Version 7 while spending my time on more worthwhile pursuits

Yes.
Hmm. Interesting.

No YOU have failed to understand a single thing about professional software development. Do you think users give a shit that your software is modular? NO. All they care about is performance where the unix philosophy fails. Fuck off, retard

this

>while I use The Windows Operating System Version 7 while spending my time on more worthwhile pursuits
if you call shitposting worthwhile, you pathetic piece of subhuman trash, kys

we are not talking about unix systems as consumer products for the blind and uneducated plebs like your kind. we are talking about unix system in the hands of capable users, familiar with a unix or unix-like base system. and yes, those users, administrators, developers, pentesters, etc, they do care about the modularity. if linux wasn't a modular monolithic kernel, bsd would be the second choice. modularity and simplicity is the most important point in modern software development to help increase security, by reduced complexity, code and a limited but stable set of functionality

this is not your shitty "durrtop" or "batturrstation" thread. now go fuck off and stop larping, you are not welcome here and will never be

My PC isnt one of the 5 motherboards that BSD actually works on, I like the concept though

>modular monolithic kernel
LOL

Yeah, systemd is modular monolithic init too.

>My PC isnt one of the 5 motherboards
you know, instead of writing dumb shit you could have not written anything, would've been a lot more useful

wow what a blow striking argument, you are with no doubt truly more witty with words

actually go fuck yourself you dumb shitposting fuck

>being useful
But this is a BSD thread?

Struck a nerver there, haven't I? I like my modular init suite called systemd, it's been modularized with 69 different binaries.

every time GPL commie zealots come in herds, and destroy every fucking BSD thread with their cuck assblasted bullshit

yeah i never understood that criticism. I think the success of systemd has surprised people so much that they get annoyed that everyone depends on it
unless those binaries arent truly independent

yeah and runs every service under its master pid 1.
systems will not be live patchable due to the init systems dependencies and will always force a reboot due to upgrades on systemd.

then you also have the security concern of hijacking one or more daemons, i believe the only reason to prevent your init system being fucked over would be enforced selinux or to make it even more annoying selinux with mls.

an init service that runs an http client should make you rethink your acceptance on systemd because with this kind of design you are shooting with canons at flys.

if it would be just an init system it would be ok but it's not and it continues to grow in a steady and unhealthy way.

>debugging

nice straw argument

you really think anyone wants all sockets to be terminated on a live prod system? what kind of inbreed retard are you?

>Moving the goalpost
Truly, the power of Sup Forums

sure kid. that's why it literally says on the screenshot that this function has almost no purpose but debugging because no sane person would want all their init services bound to systemd sockets to be restarted, that would result in information loss.

just stfu when you don't know anything about computing will you, you are making yourself look like a fucking retard and i'm being nice in telling you that you already look like one

>cuck license

if you ever paid attention to an actual systemd update, you will notice that your system reboot simply because of the core systemd isn't capable of live patching

>it literally says on the screenshot that this function has almost no purpose but debugging
No it doesn't. systemd daemon-rexec restarts loaded binaries and that's it.

>All Linux distros are bloated shit
False, there's lighter distros like Lubuntu, Solus, vector, tiny core, void, etc

>Windows is shit
It's the most supported so it already has a fairly massive advantage over the other operating systems

>Macs are only for homosexuals
Lol no, fuck off with that shallow meme bullshit. Macs may be overpriced for the hardware but they started the push towards high resolution screens in laptops and desktops.

>can't even read his own screenshot
normie

Point to me where it literally says on the screenshot that this function has almost no purpose but debugging, I'll wait

It's a legitimate question. If everyone did as said we'd be having a bunch of generals flooding the board. If there's gonna be a general then we should make sure to add as many topics as we reasonably can.

fuck off lamer

I don't get it, why are Linux Sup Forums users so afraid of the BSDs?
It's like they have a religious attachment to their choice of technology, instead of being rational about it.

Also, nobody tell them that RISC-V is from Berkeley, or they might think that that's somehow bad too.

because ZFS codebase is pretty close to OpenBSD's base system in size

Slackbuilds.org with sbotools make it very similar to ports tree. And it has BSD like init scripts. I use Slackware exclusively for years and it's really good nowadays.