No High Capacity Music Players

Why are there no music players over 1 TiB (internal + expandable) yet? Even if I were to spend $3,200 on a high end walkman, I would still only get 256 GiB internal and a microSD slot with support for cards up to 128 GiB. If a 3.5 inch 12 TiB helium drive only weighs 1.5 lbs, surely there must be some way to get a pmp up past 1 TiB by now.

Other urls found in this thread:

sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/ultra-microsd-400gb
hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-colorspace-udma3
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAE7U5Z15465
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Mostly because streaming music on demand is far cheaper than installing a 1TB SSD and you can fit many 24/7 weeks of music on smaller players anyhow.

Plus power consumption of huge drives, even if they are SSD.

Get an android with 256gb and put some 512gb

Why would you need that much space for fucks sake.

PS: For $3.2k you can obviously have more than 1TB on a laptop. If you do crazy drives, thats one easy solution vs demanding some ridiculous dedicated pmp brick thing with multiple sata spinning platter drives.

For more music. Don't assume everyone has your plebby tastes

Streaming doesn't work in a car miles from the nearest telephone pole

Setup Plex and use your phone.

Make your own.

Get a SoC, install gahnoo+loonix, alsa and mocp. Add a huge battery and an SSD.

This reply always comes up and never stops being retarded. Streaming does not work for most of the use cases of a PMP.

>Streaming doesn't work in a car miles from the nearest telephone pole
1TB would be almost a year straight of music at 320kbps. What the fuck do you need that much for?

Then deal with 128GB. Unless you're putting all FLAC files on it, you'll have over 600 hours of music.

Choice. Alongside the ability to carry other media and files (the iPod classic worked as an external HDD)

And 1TB isn't what we've got, we've got 128GB, less than an iPod from 10 YEARS ago.

>Your use case is wrong
- the post

Or just put 128 gb in an android, have a few thousand hours or so of music on that, and pull the rest over the internet from your nas at home or some streaming service.

SRS, this isn't hard at all.

Get an OTG cable and an external hard drive.

Actually it does work fir a good bunch of miles, and you are not away for a thousand hours anyways.

>SRS, this isn't hard at all.

Harder than going to buy an iPod in 2007

I don't want to. That's a hack.

I can't even get LTE in my house. Streaming is not sufficient for journeys.

Incorrect. (1024*1024*1024)/(320*60*60*24) = 38.8 days of continuous music. You're an order of magnitude off.

>I don't want to. That's a hack.
In that case, you'll have to wait awhile. The largest micro SD is 400GB:
sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/ultra-microsd-400gb

The issue isn't so much micro sd card sizes as that commercially available PMPs don't generally support any cards over 128 gb.

attach a 1TB drive to a raspberry pi

So barely 20 weeks of workdays before you run out.

Because only children purchase music players and children don't listen to the same song over and over, they have their parents pay for a music streaming service so they can listen to the same nigger rap music of the week that everyone at school is listening to.

> Harder than going to buy an iPod in 2007
iTunes alone was already a nightmare. But I get the impression you're an Applefag in an Apple ecosystem.

I guess you can't simply put a microSD into your smartphone and easily synchronize it with the desired file list in any number of ways (and play back any format you want), huh?

You forgot the battery pack. It also probably won't fit so well in running shorts

>PMPs don't generally support any cards over 128 gb.
Yea, about the only way you're going to get around that is with a phone or tablet.

I used Sharepod then and I try and match the poor experience I had then by putting a 128GB Micro SD in a mobile Java OS that has 1/4 of the battery life.

Truly 10 years of progress.

> 320kbps
Nonsense anyhow. Just output 80-120kbit Opus and be done with it.

Most people don't even notice 80kbit on their IEM or shitty car stereo. Ultimately it still should sound better than most radio.

>I consider myself a real audiophile
>b-but not that much

Tascam DR-680MKII + 512 GB SDXC + Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate GT 2TB, USB-A 3.0

>tfw no mp3 players that play video game format music
>OGG supported players can't even do LOGG's

Rockbox won't even include codecs for them because they say the cpu usage is too high to play them on all of the Rockbox compatible mp3 players.

>Most people don't even notice 80kbit on their IEM or shitty car stereo. Ultimately it still should sound better than most radio.
Very dependent on the stereo. I can tell the difference between 192 and 320 on mine. It was actually a major influence on my purchasing the car in the first place.

>we've got 128GB, less than an iPod from 10 YEARS ago.
The Sony works with 256 GB microSDXC and most likely also with 400 GB microSDXC

>Just
...put up with technological treadmill running

This. Opus @ 128 kbps would be 97,09 days of continuous music.

That being said, I would like to know what kind of music would you fill it with, to be able to play it non stop for 3+ months.

Nowadays nobody buys albums or listens to music long-term. They just stream the latest niggerbeat on their phones so their friends think they're cool

This + an iPod Classic w/ Rockbox + 4 256GB microSD cards.

The SD card costs more than the entire iPod did

Unlike you who shitposts so Sup Forums thinks he's cool

Why would you need to use an audio recorder for a playback device?

This is mainly because of the fucking artist that don't make albums worth buying since they release 2-3 good songs while being the rest shit.
Only reason to buy an album for me is if at least 8 songs are good quality ones, not just filling trash tier stuff + if I like the artist.

> in a mobile Java OS that has 1/4 of the battery life
Even if you really had >100 hours playback (sounds wrong to me) you just buy a chink power bank with your chink android phone or a chink car USB plug for the cigar lighter and hook that up.

And then you have significant local storage in that phone plus the option to use far more from basically any local or remote device, at WELL under $3k.

Or you can just continue to whine on the internet, I'm sure someone will make a better player just for you.

Opus. Not MP3. Most people can't hear anything really above 120-ish kbit and above 180kbit is near impossible on regular tracks.

Even if you have a good stereo most adults have hearing damage, and [it's also more prevalent among those with certain loud jobs, powerful stereos, or love for concerts...]

>Or you can just continue to whine on the internet, I'm sure someone will make a better player just for you.
As long as you keep plumping those lips for Apple et al.

/thread

god i wish that were me

>god i wish i were gay

What did he mean by this?

hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-colorspace-udma3

+

+

He wants the supreme
A U D I O P H I L E
experience

this might be the most autistic thing I have ever seen

must have been a while since you've browsed Sup Forums

>i don't want a hack
Are you retarded ?

Fork the repo and add the codecs you wish they had. If you do a good job you can then submit a pull request

>1TB
>320kbps
>B
>b
No, you're an order of magnitude off.

Too bad i own a gen 6 and can only go up to 128.

Ive tried to get rockbox installed on the thing and i can never get the thing to install at all.

Or was it a gen 7?

One of those dual SD players with 2 mSD->SD adapters and 2 512GB cards.

At that point it would be easier to just setup an mpd server at home and have a portable client, or use sshfs

it's music, not 4k10b video

I kinda get where OP is going with this.. He has a point

-small 2tb hard drives exist
-my flac collection is about 2tb
- having all your music offline in one place is valuable
- shuffling it brings welcome suprises

This thing should exist but it doesnt... buying that much flash storage is silly at the moment

People dont realise what a magical time it was around 2007 when my entire music collection was on my 30gb ipod video 5g... just the joy of shuffling YOUR ENTIRE music collection

diamonds in the rough, not having to think about what you are going to play... letting it suprise you... it should be a thing... bonus points for something chink and cheap i simply plug my 2tb western digital 3.5 into (the drive not the enclosure)

is that a raspberry pi with a laptop hard drive and a battery pack? or are you just happy to.... oh, it is a raspberry pi

>small 2tb hard drives exist
Where?

He probably meant m.2 SSDs but that's only going to kill battery life if anyone ever attempts that.

iPod classic with zif to mSATA to full SATA and rockbox

Zoom F4
+ + 8x microSDXC 400GB
= 3200 GB
It plays 24-bit / 192 kHz too.

get a dual microsd dap plus 2x256gb or 128gb.

just buy one with expandable memmory and carry around a few cards with the rest of your tracks on.

Your going to need to plug it in to recharge far more often than youd start looping your songs so at that time just switch out for another card.