DISCORD CONFIRMED SPYING BOTNET

OK well maybe not. Gotta get that attention though. Likely poor coding or even more likely me being retarded and missing something obvious. Anyway, running Discord from AUR on an XPS 13 9350 powers the webcam even while it's not in a video call. Any ideas what this could be about?

Video here: my.mixtape.moe/zirpki.mp4
Apologies about the glitchiness and slowness.

>any ideas what this could be about?
it's nonfree software, there's no way to know. we tried to warn you, you didn't listen.

It's proprietary software so the spying botnet thing is either observed or unknown. You are a complete and utter idiot running this crap on a device connected to a webcam/mic.

They openly flex on twitter the amount of data they have stored from conversions. Just accept the fact or don't use it. Being a cuck is a choice, not a curse

This
Plus, don't they tell you when you first make an account on their site?
Honestly as long as you aren't giving out information and posting shit you shouldn't be posting theres not much of an issue there

You must always assume closed source means botnet. You have no way to know otherwise. Stallman was right.

HEY GUYS ISN'T IT GREAT THAT Sup Forums IS TECH SUPPORT FOR BABBY'S CHAT PROGRAM?! I MEAN, ISN'T THIS JUST A GREAT PLACE TO BE?

HEY, GUYS, I'M TALKING IN CAPSLOCK, TOO!

just use it in private mode in the browser if you have to
anything that goes through server you don't control you might consider being read by it's admin
so no news here...

>Discord
there's a whole board for your kind, stay there:

Kawaii

how can it spy on me if the cam/microphone doesn't even work with this program even if it's detected in it

What if it's faking that it doesn't work, to get you to not worry about it...

Really makes you think...

>private mode in browser
The absolute state of Sup Forums

?

Any service that's free and isn't monetized through ads or something, you should assume they're collecting your data.

omg

>Skype is most crappy malicious eavesdropping piece of VoIP software
>Discord claims to replace Skype
Well, I think they doing it pretty good

This. They didn't even have to try. Discord is only doing so well because the competition is literally garbage.

just waiting for someone to create a discord like software which is opensource and is like mumble

Needs to be Free software, specifically.

you do realise that discord has videochat now, right?

Yes! I'll happily switch. I currently run my own Mumble server but I would love to have saved chat and other things.

Mumble is open source. What else do you need? Riot.im and Wire have file sharing and mobile clients. There's also RetroShare and Ring.