Manjaro vs Arch

I'm not the Linux God, but I can use Google and know some most useful commands. Now I'm running Manjaro xfce. Should I try arch and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

arch-anywhere.org/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Don't switch to Arch.

Just wait until the retarded Manjaro maintainers break your shit, shouldn't be too long.

/thread

brainlet

Switch to arch.

Why?
Is Manjaro that bad?

People like to complain about Manjaro withholding arch updates for a months or so until they're sure that they'll break your system and then releasing them.

Just use Antergos, basically raw Arch but with a good installer.

>linux god
Just switch to Arch, it's comfy once you configure it properly.

aka extra bloat

Install Gentoo

>A month
Try again, honeybun

Why wouldn't you just use windows? Or BSD?

I don't want to use Windows, because GNU/Linux is simplier, works better and usually looks better. GNU/Linux is just better than BSD.

I don't much see the point in Manjaro. Babbie's first Arch I guess?

One of Arch's strengths is in how simple it is. Pacman is a very transparent package manager that is built in such a way as to allow the user to customize various aspects of whatever software they are trying to install/compile.

While the package manager is just one thing, the whole OS is designed to make simple what is otherwise complicated, and in doing so, give the user a large degree of freedom.

From my understanding Manjaro aims to produce a Ubuntu-like experience on the Arch platform. At that point why not use Ubuntu or Fedora? Both of those distros are designed with a specific user experience in mind, and imo are far better at making one than Manjaro will ever be.

If you want to get an Arch install up and running quickly, I suggest you try Arch-Anywhere. Iirc it's called Anarchy linux now because of copyright bs.

Pamac is pretty simple too. Buntu has no AUR, and editing your fstab is not something normies want to do. Manjaro is simple and just works.

you can convert manjaro to arch
as for why, archwiki should be reason enough
no, you can't apply everything from archwiki to manjaro because of the fuckery they do with kernels, gpu drivers etc

I recommend Anarchy Linux. It's arch with a command line installer an a whole lot o choices:
arch-anywhere.org/

Go for Devuan and use the netinstall iso, save time and get the same results.

>Now I'm running Manjaro xfce
is it working without problems?

Should have installed Arch to begin with

They have a kernel GUI picker that works well. As for drivers. I don't know why you would fuck with them, but pamac can do that well.

>what is mhwd

Are you a laptop fag?

I'd recommend installing it the "Arch Way" at least once, if only for the experience. After that, feel free to use tools such as Arch Anywhere to speed up the install process. Also, the wiki is your friend.

arch-anywhere.org/

I'm using arch because I like the fact that the package manager is called pacman. so that's it

nope. what's laptop got to do with manjaro hardware setup tool?

Only people I read bitching about drivers is Optimusfags.

let's see if I can dumb this down enough for you
manjaro and arch aren't 100% compatible because manjaro fucks with config file dirs, uses their own kernel and modules and an automated tool to help retards install free or nonfree drivers with few clicks. I'm not bitching about anything, I'm just stating the facts.

You stupid fuck, where did I say, or imply they were?

>pamac

Well normies don't want to use Linux in the first place, so why not just bite the bullet? Or use a distro that is explicit in it's design goals, i.e fedora or Ubuntu.

What's wrong with it? I like scrolling down thru a list of options. I can quickly visit the package website also. I installed it and use it exclusively on arch.

It does has design goal: be a friendly pre configured Arch.

That's like owning a manual car and only driving in first gear. At that point you might as well just drive automatic and get more out of it.

Oh please make more of these car analogies, they are so insightful. What are your specific criticisms, besides" it's not Arch, or [insert your distro here]?

It's simple: other distributions serve the niche which Manjaro is attempting to serve far better. Fedora has the weight of Red Hat behind it, a larger community, and is built around providing the user a comprehensive and fool-proof environment to learn linux in. The same can (largely) be said for Ubuntu. Debian also fills this category.

On the other hand, Manjaro serves to obfuscate what advantages are inherent to Arch in favor of aping those aforementioned distributions.

In other words, I understand what Manjaro is trying to do, and I appreciate the variety, but I don't think it's a particularly good, useful, or needed distribution.

Happy?

I started with Arch because someone said you'd learn Linux much faster that way and it's true. Arch Linux was the only distro that just "werked" after I followed a simple step by step guide. Also Arch is very comfy and fast.

No, not really. Please detail the advantages of Arch that Manjaro does not have. I wouldn't want to switch to a corporate OS either, fedora is not rolling release, dnf sucks major ass, their freetard policy is retarded also. And just fuck canonical, I didn't quit using Windows for another corporate OS to get rammed down my throat. Ppas suck major ass also.

I hope you've added the following line to your /etc/pacman.conf: ILoveCandy

It's linux. You and I both know that with enough willpower one can tailor nearly any distro to fit their usage case. As such, it's virtually impossible to have objective or numeric advantages/disadvantages. That is why design philosophy matters so much, because the changes that are present are due to a vision as to what the OS should be.

I guess the biggest would be Manjaro's circumvention of AUR in favor of their own repositories, but again, that can be reversed.

The point which you're failing to grasp is that there is little point in using a "newbie-friendly" Arch-based system. If:
>I wouldn't want to switch to a corporate OS either, fedora is not rolling release, dnf sucks major ass, their freetard policy is retarded also. And just fuck canonical, I didn't quit using Windows for another corporate OS to get rammed down my throat. Ppas suck major ass also.
Then you are going to benefit more from installing Arch (or even Antergos) itself rather than Manjaro. If you want to have this level of control and independence, then why let a third party attempt to control/create that experience for you? Why take a distro designed around flexibility and customization and attempt to reign that in for newbies?

If you want a newbie-style distro, then you should really just use Fedora or Ubuntu. Both are designed completely for this purpose. They have tradeoffs, the ones you mentioned - if you do not like them, then you should put in the work and learn the basics of Arch.

There's no sense in choosing a jack-of-all-trades in this scenario. And again, if you use Manjaro then whatever, I don't care. But OP asked whether or not he should switch; these are the reasons why one would want to.

This. Why anyone would use Memejaro or Antergos over this is beyond help.

Yeah, there were some, but I solved them quite easily. I have only one problem with broadcom drivers, but I don't mind using USB tethering.

Manjaro uses the AUR in addition to its own packages, just like Arch.

I did that just now. What's going to happen?

>Arch
>linux god
install gentoo

>Should I try arch and why?

install it in virtual box and figure it out for yourself

polite sage

Give pacman -Syyu a try. I promise it won't produce mustard gas.

I tried Manjaro a couple weeks ago. After it was done installing, I checked the fstab file. It actually put the discard option on the SSD partitions. I switched back to Arch right away, and you should too because the Manjaro devs are retarded pajeets.

Running manjaro for months without problems, it's ok.

I'm using discard on Arch. I have also read the wiki page on the topic.

installing arch takes like something around 10 commands at max and i'ts pretty good documented
why would anyone want to use antergos?

install slackware

>unironically falling for the arch meme

Arch is living life on the fast lane
It's all fun and games until AUR throws you a package with errors that you can't find a solution for or the builder didn't really set up default directories or settings all the way and your software has some quirks.

Manjaro has the right idea, but it pissed me off installing Steam.
I'd suggest this if it delivers what it promises. Arch isn't horrible to install, bit it definitely wouldn't hurt to have something to streamline it a bit. Manjaro is that option except it assumes too much and installs useless shit.

name me another distro that has
rolling release model
lts kernal support
up to date yet reasonably stable
and I'll consider it

>debian
>centos

I like these, even though I use Arch.

>debian
hurr let me restrict your fredom to protect your freedom
>centos
I'll look into that

Centos must have been a joke, still on 3.16 kernel

Stay with Manjaro, it's just Arch for Chad. Why would you waste your weekend fixing it because some Pajeet updated something in the AUR?

Manjaro has the AUR also. Just roll your package back ezpz.

Ok, I'm trying to install anarchy linux and I have problem. I'm using ethernet cable and it keeps asking me about connecting WiFi interface which doesn't work. What I should do? When I choose yes it just give me opportunity to connect to my WiFi and after it it keeps asking about WiFi interface again and again. If I choose no, then installation doesn't continue

Has it synched the repos yet? That takes forever sometimes

debian is literally the easiest thing to rice out if you replace the gnome shell with something else. if you have restricted freedoms, you won't if you modify it.

>he's still in distrohopping phase
Just go ahead and try arch, do your screenfetches, install your shit. Then come back here when you're done playing in the sandbox, you retarded child

Nope

Err I mean the mirror list but whatever. Reboot and try again, maybe check your version number. You are using arch-anywhere, correct?

Yes

Neither of those were rolling release last time I checked.