/pcbg/ - PC building general

Coffee Lake has been released! Benchmarks / Reviews
techpowerup.com/reviews/

====
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
[Youtube]
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, try to include information like response time, refresh rate, resolution, and size

CPUs:
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>i3 8100 - Better budget CPU; extra cost of the currently available Z mobos lessens the value of the CPU
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4Gb 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070 / 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>Consider a 240GB or larger SSD.
>Consider a Wireless Network Adapter, either 2.4 or 5GHz

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hCAQpvFhiUs
pcpartpicker.com/list/CcsRr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/WRc3LD
en.colorful.cn/product_show.aspx?mid=102&id=461
pcpartpicker.com/list/bHcmXH
pcpartpicker.com/list/Hjzbm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/hTQ8pb
pcpartpicker.com/list/sZkC7h
pcpartpicker.com/list/DsHYvV
pcpartpicker.com/products/case-fan/#m=99&s=140
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

thread DOA
press F to pay respects

Is it worth upgrading from a 1050ti to a 1060 6gb?

What's a bigger meme, resolution or Hz?

Hi boys, here's my specs:

- ASUS P8H61-M LX3 PLUS R2.0
- INTEL Core i5 2500K - 3,3 GHz
- ZALMAN Z11 Plus
- 2x4 GB RAM DDR3 Kingston @1333 MHz
- ASUS GeForce GTX 670 OC Direct CU II - 2Go
- SEAGATE 1To 6Gb/s

currently saving money to buy a new PC (or update this one) after Christmas

Budget: ~1k$ (max 1200$)
Use: Gaming, video capture, video editing

I already have the monitor

I heard Nvidia Volta along with Ryzen 2 are worth the waiting-time, what do you guys think ?

thks

Ryzen 2 isn't until around 2019

if you get it for a good price yes. no new gpu until second half of next year, so if you feel like it and get a good price go for it. i would try to spring for a 1070 or higher though, later this moth a 1070ti is supposed to release too which might lower the prices on 1070s as well

hz

Thinking about finally ascending.

Here's what I'm thinking:

- i7 7700k
- evga GTX 1080
- ASUS PRIME Z270-A
- 16 GB DDR4
- Corsair 650 PSU

Is that PSU enough? Also, are the all in one water coolers junk? Or am I better off getting some noctua heatsink?

that psu is enough. all all in ones are junk unless you want the absolute highest performance possible in a prepackaged setup, but bear in mind they only win by a few degrees, and at the cost of nearly or more than double the noise, as well as the possibility of leaks and the guarantee of eventual pump failure. if the pump goes or if the cooler leaks then you have to replace the whole unit, if the fan dies on a heatsink you just replace it.
personally i would go with noctua/cryorig/thermalright

go with air cooling

don't get ryzen+ and ryzen 2 confused. ryzen 2 is quite a way off.

can you overclock on that board? if not could be cheap to find a z68 board to tide you over until upgrading
for your usage I would go ryzen, 1700 is probably the best bet. the new intel chips are obviously the dominant option for gaymen, but for workstation stuff amd is still the king. and you get an upgrade path longer than 6 months, which is nice.

and i guess more specific to your question, if I were you i would wait until feb to see what ryzen+ brings to the table, and then go with one of those or upgrade to am4 anyway, get a budget range cpu, and wait for zen2 late 2018, early 2019

how long until the 1070 is outdated/useless?
I need to upgrade graphics and need to decide if I want to get a budget 1050 or do a big spend and risk it being pointless in the long term.
Mostly into games but trying my hand at streaming too.

Alright, thanks. Another thing, whenever I see "my first rig" posts, the cases are almost always riced the fuck out. I don't want something ricey. Know any good cases with good airflow that aren't fucked those clear plastic panels and LEDs?

corsair have stopped using high quality PSUS 5 years ago when they went with channel well and cut ties with seasonic. corsair psus are overpriced garbage. buy a seasonic 650 gold modular psu, or a superflower one

I have a ryzen 1600 and a 1050ti, would I be able to stream? I just want to stream for a few friends, nothing fancy. Would I get big framerate dips?

>7700k
Either 8400, 8700k or 1700

fractal meshify c, silverstone rl06, coolermaster haf 912 all come to mind. in all honesty you would even be fine with something like a fractal define s or similar, the way they do the intake on the front is actually somewhat smart and doesnt limit you as much. when I had mine I was getting temps about 2-4c lower without the front on, but that's really not much in the grand scheme of things. imo you shouldn't require 2-4c to make an overclock/build stable, there should be some more room than that
if you really want to spring the dosh for it the best airflow case you can get is a silverstone ft02 or ft05. I have a ft05 and it is the quietest, best performing, best looking case I have ever owned. compared to my r5 it dropped cpu temps roughly 8c and gpu temps roughly 10-12c, and that's at roughly the same volume as well

Reviewers have all agreed that the 8400 maxes out at 3.8ghz but mine does 3.9 and i didnt do anything special to it

gpu doesnt matter as much for streaming, if it runs the game you want fine now it will streaming
the 1600 is fine for basic streaming. if you do like 900p 60fps you'll be fine. I've been streaming like that on my 1600 playing more cpu intensive games (witcher 3, shadow of war, civ 5) recently and i've had no issues

have you tried benchmarking it?

>AMD shill removing the 8700k and 8400

8400 is there you dumb kike

rate build please.

Ryzen 2700x
Asus Prime B350 Plus
16GB C20 3800Mhz B die
Samsung 1070 1TB Nvme
Barracuda 4TB
MSI Geforce GTX1270 Gaming X (best fan)
Define R6
Corsair AX760

Reminder not to buy any z370 board from Shitsus. Especially no Strix boards.

Faggot company is even refusing there is any issue with their fucked up board.

youtube.com/watch?v=hCAQpvFhiUs

I ran firestrike when i got it. I didnt pay attention to the clock speeds when i did it though. I'll have to see later if it will actually hold those clock speed when running at 100%. I'll probably just try prime95 on it

pcpartpicker.com/list/CcsRr7

is okay for an upgrade? coming from i5-4430
i will do vm and gaming. most of my dev environment/db/server stuff is in vm so mostly vm stuff

>future fantasy build
>corsair psu
>still has spinning rust
>chooses the worst spinning rust around
>this rampant consumerism manifested in brand loyalty
ffs user we dont know what shit is gonna be like, the 9000 series from intel might kick the shit out of ryzen 2, msi might fuck up on their volta cards and have horrible cooling/power delivery, nvme might be outdated or a lesser tech by then, the define 6 might be shit (or cooler master/nzxt might get their head out of their ass, or silverstone will continue to have better offerings) there's just too fucking much
shit consumerist whore/10

learn to read

its actually satire.
also ax psus are actually pretty good, and depending where you are the cheapest all jap plat psu

oh and also, its not blind consumerism, its extrapolation based on trends

>or silverstone will continue to have better offerings

R9 390 a good deal if I'm buying it for 50$?

thats a stupid incredible deal
where on gods green earth did you find a 390 for 50 bucks

390 is a good gpu. Performance is similar to a 1060 if i am not mistaken

cheap to the point of being suspicious desu
but even if it's a card being mined to death with absolutely no way to save it you can still auction it for at least $30 towards the tech "experts" who think reballing fixes graphic cards

r8/h8

pcpartpicker.com/list/WRc3LD

Switching to 8700k and my old setup will be used as an office pc for my dad

Got literally everything except cpu and mobo. After some deep research I settled on a Chinese noname brand en.colorful.cn/product_show.aspx?mid=102&id=461 since it has 10 (TEN) back USB ports. VRM looks solid too now the only problem is finding a freight forwarder.

Friend selling it known him for years but I was unsure

pcpartpicker.com/list/bHcmXH

Would like to double-check that I'm not getting anything stupid.
I use my computer for gaming and programming. I also frequently have 2/3 VM's running.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Hjzbm8 or pcpartpicker.com/list/hTQ8pb

Which one is better?

>liquid cooler
That looks fine user.

>Buying last gen hardware

i would go with the 1050 ti and then 8gb of 3200 ram

ti, you can up ram l8er

What would you switch out. Budget is $2k

i would think that for VM"s and compiling a r5 1600 would blow the doors off a 7700k, simply through means of more threads, why the 7700k?

8700k and z370 obviously

Get a b350 motherboard, a320 can't overclock. Go for 8GB and a 1050Ti though.
If you're only gaming, a 1200/1400 and a 1060 6Gb or 580 might be better.

What's a high quality cpu cooler for around £50?
I was looking at the Scythe mugen 5, but I don't know if it'll still be worth my money later.

There's still time to consider Ryzen

We upgrading boys.

>MSI B350 Mate
>Ryzen 5 1600 (using stock cooler)
>Crucial (2x4GB) 2133 MHz DDR4
>MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Armor 8 G OC
>Crucial MX300 275GB 2,5" SSD

Already have a case, 1TB HDD and CX500 PSU.

pcpartpicker tells me this build is gonna pull 320W, so I should be okay with my 500W PSU right?

Also, I have €50 left in my budget, should I use that to get better RAM speed, more RAM or random peripherals?

Not him but what would be a good reason to go for 1070 over 1050 ti?

Don't want you want to wait for ddr5?

it's never a good time for a computer

just wait forever instead of getting anything done

Which is faster? A SSD on a SATAport or a SSD in a M.2 slot?

pcpartpicker.com/list/sZkC7h
Does this look better? Other then the video card, which I'm still deciding on, anything you would change?

DDR5 is a year away at least, not gonna wait for that. Is 3000 MHz RAM worth the price bump though?

psu isn't optimal but it should be ok. i would spend those 50$ for better ram, unfortunately it's the worst possible time to buy ram

depends. if the m.2 SSD is a sata based one, there's no difference. If it's NVMe, it's faster. but there's no noticeable difference between sata and nvme when it comes to the OS

8GB is going to be a bit tight, but at the same time, you REALLY want 2666MHz RAM at the minimum with Ryzen. I'd recommend getting 8GB of high-speed RAM now and upgrading to 16GB later.

2666/2800 if you really want to pinch pennies.
The higher you go the less cost effective it is.

Look at benchmarks on youtube for your use cases at different ram speeds.

An user after my own heart.

Yes, but unless you're really unsatisfied with the 1050Ti, I'd just keep what you have

Resolution. 4K is still a meme because refresh rates are low and driving 4K requires top of the line GPUs. 27" 1440p 144Hz is perfect

You can start by getting a new graphics card and an SSD. You'll be able to run all new games really well

Is this backlight bleed or IPS glow? It looks exaggerated in the PIC but idk. Its a viewsonic monitor, should I return it?

3000mhz ram will give you about a 2 - 3% increase in gaming performance over 2600mhz. Its up to you, that money can likely be allocated to something better if on a budget

Only if you're multitasking or using programs optimized for multiple threads.

I am going with a 7700k as well because cheaper, no upgrade path to 8600/8700k, and I want the best individual core performance. Using mine for AutoDesk stuff.

Also, no 8700ks for a while which is another consideration for me.

8700k fall short of the 7700k in single thread a little

Yeah but it is ~$250 difference between the two, 7700k+stable asus mobo with OC capabilities vs the same in 8700k (which isn't available and I need it sooner rather than later).

Plus DDR5 in a year and maybe 10nm tech, so I'll save that 250 in the JustWait™ jar.

Shit always get delayed and then when it finally releases its hard to find and has bugs that are better to just wait until they go away. I'd be shocked if it all came togethet even in a year and a half

Just Wait™

Alright, thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try and squeeze out some extra cash and go for 2x8GB 3000 MHz.

>Plus DDR5 in a year
Doubtful. You're not going to see DDR5 in mainstream platform until 2019 at the earliest.

Exactly, that is why I am opting for the more stable z270/7700k for now and I can wait until I want to upgrade as otherwise I have these issues with z370 which is a dead socket in 6 months anyway.

Also here's the build to r8 and h8, apprec8 optional.

pcpartpicker.com/list/DsHYvV

Since coffeelake is a rebrand it has no issues. I threw 3000mhz ram into my z370, hit xmp and done. I havent had a single issue with the platform thus far. And here ryzen still has problems

>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use
>poozen
>VM
Nice try pajeet. You can't virtualize Windows Xp or anything before that with Shitzen.

I would probably go for the 8700 if I could buy it next week. I am an impatient consumer whore.

Yeah i was impatient and bought the 8400 sinply because it was available. My 8400 runs at 3.9ghz on all cores while everyone elses only does 3.8 so i am pleased. Upgraded from an fx-6300, feels 3 times faster

i7 7700K is significantly outdated. i7 8700K ha been released and it's a lot more powerful for almost the same price

1060 3GB or 6GB

8700K has been released. Way better for the same price

Those aren't balanced builds. You need an AB350 or B350 board. If you're getting a 1050Ti get an R3 1200

Get a VA panel monitor, not TN

I know, at the end of the day when you upgrade it feels great! Sure you might get more points on this benchmark software vs that if you get this vs that but it's all just memes and bickering.

Shit if you knew my setup now you would understand why I am so giddy. I am running arch on a 2006 acer laptop with 4g of ram that I got to quit gayming when I went to college, the thing is solid but the battery is totally shot and it only performs because of the super lightweight os I have installed. Last gaming PC I built was when the GTX 280 was top of the line and I had a bitching core2 quad with corsair dominator DDR2 oc'd to like 1066 or something lol.

This computer is going to feel great no matter what I put in it.

gonna upgrade soon, it's been years since i've built a pc but is a

GIGABYTE GA-AX370-Gaming K3
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
CORSAIR CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R Vengeance LPX red,DDR4 3000MHz, 2x8GB kit

decent for 1080p gaming and light editing workloads? i'm worried about hitting 3000MHz on the ram mainly, because i'm unexperienced with overclocking, and especially with Ryzen cpu's, probably a question that's been answered a hundred times

Im buying a case fan and can get an NF-A14 PPC-2000 cheaper than a regular NF-A14. I can run the industrial fan on low rpm and make it just as quiet, right?

Oh yeah, you are going to see performance gains in multitudes lol.

There are better options for gaming at the price. What do you edit in?

1600 is better bang for buck, especially since 1600x doesn't come with a stock cooler and 1600 does fine with the stock cooler

Well honestly I need this machine for AutoDesk which isn't even optimized for multiple cores/threads. I might also play a game or two.

Here's a table
Look at the RPM limits
pcpartpicker.com/products/case-fan/#m=99&s=140

I just got into emulators, gamecube, wii and gonna try cemu (wiiu) emulator when i get a chance. My old cpu couldnt do gamecube and this new cpu gamecube and wii it effortlessly. Part of why i went intel this time, amd cant emulate for shit

>Part of why i went intel this time, amd cant emulate for shit
w-what

You probably don't need x370 chipset, since b350 can overclock just as well. As for RAM, if you're not sure, check the motherboard QVL for compatibility. If the RAM is listed, that means it's guaranteed to run at the listed speed.

Do b350s support 3000/32000mhz ram?

Yes, check QVL for specifics.

You head him... RYPOO CANT EMULATE SHIT

They do if you put them in XML

heard**

Glad you're enjoying it!

In my experience there are a few niche tasks intel surpasses AMD in. Right now AMD has a lot of really cool products out, but sometimes they aren't the best for specific applications. Check benchmarks for the specific programs you use to see which processor will best suit your needs. There is no one single graph you can look at that will tell you which processor is best for each person regardless of usage. (unless someone makes a giant image of multiple graphs comparing every processor in every usage scenario and then at the bottom averages performance to price ratio and you look through the giant annoying image to make your decision).

XMP* excuse me. It's a setting in the BIOS

Perhaps Im just retarded, but that link shows the PPC-2000 being 11dbA louder while going 800rpm more, which is kinda obvious to me that it would be. Im rather asking whether it will be louder at the same given rpm. Lets say I run both the standard and the industrial fan at 1000rpm, is there gonna be a difference in noise between them?

Depends on a number of factors such as the number of blades, the blade design, and the fan enclosure design and the bearing each fan uses.

Short answer: different fans make different noises at the same RPM levels most of the time.

>get oculus rift for muh racin and flyin sims
>have to get a displayport to hdmi adapter for my 2nd monitor because my 980 Ti only has 1 HDMI port and 3 displayports + VGA for some reason

Such a meme, why don't high-end gaming cards have more than 1 HDMI port?