The sorry state of software

>Want to do industry-level CAD?
>You'll need a 50MHZ CPU for that.
>Want to show a static picture of a cat in a web browser?
>I hope you have at least a 2GHz multi-core CPU

What the fuck has happened to the quality of software and operating systems?

> Run OpenBSD with SpectreWM
> Pentium 4 with a gig of ram
> 20mb idle
> Seamonkey + emacs + irssi + htop + conky
> 612mb

Only retards struggle with bloat

Nice! Debian Testing seems to get use maybe 200mb over that. That's with bspwm though, and palememe as the browser, vim as the editor, no irc or conky, but I think I was torrenting something.

How's SpectreWM? Would you recommend?

Yeah, honestly SpectreWM is one of the best tiling window managers i've ever used. I've started transitioning most of my machines over from i3. Runs a lot lighter than i3 with still a lot of the functionality.

>SpectreWM
>bspwm

And what if someone wanted a full OS with a file manager that used no more resources than these?

Simply saying "Ha, this does less and draws more, but not as much as something else" isn't an argument when you consider what you're comparing it against.

> what is ranger? what is lfm? what is installing any fucking file manager you want? GUI or term

I'm not sure how new or experienced you are with unix-like operating systems, but generally, these OSes have a lot more functionality in their command-lines. They can perform just about any task through this, such as managing files either directly through the shell, or using a terminal-based file manager such as Ranger or GNU Midnight Commander. Many distributions provide more newbie-friendly GUI file managers and other features, but these are all frontends to the command-line, which is available quite literally everywhere, and very useful to learn in the event that you must interact with a system that does not have X11 or wayland installed, such as a server

compression

ooh! Spectre's a tiler? I'll definitely check it out then if it's lighter than i3 or bspwm and is still fully 100% functional.

openbsd with rio
surf+acme+ircii+nothing+nothing
200mb

Developers get paid to develop, not to fulfil a task, so therefore its in their best interest to weigh everything down with the shit they get paid to put there.

Not that the vendors mind, because that means people have to then purchase new hardware. And it seems the FOSS community have no interest in breaking that cycle.

this is what you get with object-oriented pajeetgrammers who don't know what shared libraries are, don't know how memory caches work, don't know how threads work, and are proud of not understanding determinism

my debian w gui idles at 40mb ram use

screenshot or gtfo

how in the fuck?
what screen resolution?

Have you checked how much power it pulls from the wall? A modern low-end Celeron seems like a more sane choice.

>And it seems the FOSS community have no interest in breaking that cycle.
Yeah, why?
Why wouldn't you want to be lazy?

I ripped the PSU out a while ago. but google that combo, I bet someone has done it before with similar results.

No idea. I just had my old IBM Aptivia (old cause, used to have a Pentium 3, but I upgraded to a 4 back in the day), and wanted to see if I could get a modern OS on it.

Or a laptop, when you factor in the screen as well.

Surely the lazier thing to do would be to do nothing at all, which considering the ongoing shitshow with almost everything these days related to software, wouldn't be a bad thing.

I guess keeping older machines in use can be seen as another flavor of being environmentally conscious. Sure, you'll be using quite a bit more power, but you'll also produce less electronical waste.

Same thing with the economical perspective, on one hand you have the price of the new system and on the other the price difference needed to maintain the old system...

>using software this harmless

Could always buy a newer, used, system.

You can get a lot of low-power computers for cheap once the owner gets buyer's remorse.

And you're right when you say that the energy of production (and shipping, considering how many countries make various computer components eventually put into one system). It's something a lot of people really don't think about, especially not on this board.

But as for me, I'm more than happy to keep this 10 year old laptop going as long as possible, which is funny because it was only meant to be temporary until I moved and got the space for a full computer, but I've grown attached to it.

I doubt the extra power you're using even comes close to the cost of a new computer, even if you were to replace it with a NUC or Brix or something.