It's over, the old internet is finally dead

Cell phone companies are now allowing companies they partner with to look up the IP address you're connecting to their website from and get your name, address, and other information:
techcrunch.com/2017/10/15/mobile-phone-companies-appear-to-be-providing-your-number-and-location-to-anyone-who-pays/

There's no reason to believe home ISPs aren't doing this as well given the capability has already been demonstrated by multiple mobile ISPs. At this point any protection against fingerprinting that doesn't involve using a VPN, using Tor, or connecting from random wifi hotspots is ineffective as whatever website you're connecting to (or any of the 3rd party sites that resources are being loaded from) could very well be requesting your real name and address from you're ISP. We've gone from needing to block cookies and spoof basic browser information to avoid being tracker, to needing to block large amounts of JS and strip out browser features that may be necessary for sites to operate, and now to even a single connection no matter what data you're retrieving (even a simple ping) being enough to personally identify you.

user, it's been dead for years

THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS!!

Get on Tor.

I don't live in the US.

Did your government outsource their military to the USA?

>get on a honeypot to avoid a botnet

Except there's no evidence that Tor is a honeypot or broken.

Tor can only be a honeypot if two or more nodes are owned by the same guy which is unlikely.

If you get raped by a double FBI node, nothin personnell' kid. We all walk the line.

Nice try fbi

see

haha stupid burgers thank god.

>It appears to be similar to the Unique Identifier Header used by Verizon. The UIDH was appended to HTTP requests made by Verizon customers, allowing websites they visited to see their location, billing data and so on
and thats why you fucking NEVER use cleartext protocols, because ISPs can not be trusted, and thats not fucking tinfoil

>haha it's happening to others that I dont like surely I will be safe forever hahaha

Except this current method still works even if you're using SSL/TLS. All a company has to do is check any IP that connects to their servers against the appropriate company's list of IP's and who's currently using them.

my point was merely that ISP man-in-the-middle attacks are not some dystopian tinfoil scenario.

your post is underrated.

>things have gotten so bad that you can't even trust your ISP not to hand out your fucking name and address to the websites and other services you connect to
>in the last decade I've seen Tor go from being for tinfoil hat wearers and the Chinese, to being for people more concerned about advancing browser fingerprinting techniques and NSA data collection after the Snowden leaks, to being for anyone who doesn't want websites potentially getting their name and address from their ISP
How the fuck did we get to this point? I mean, this seriously has to be the crown jewel of shittyness when it comes to all the negative shit that's happened to the internet in the US. I'm having a hard time seeing how this could actually be topped without new laws being passed.

idealist are being pushed out by business now that money is involved

that and internet freedoms knights fail to understand that marketing is a real part of business

instead of resisting up front they should have been pushing for sane business friendly standards upfront but opted for purity

now business will write the rules

this isn't even government spying, not that they won't piggyback in on it

>Doesn't understand Tor
>Still fearmongers about it
I guess we did find the FBI after all!

Don't trust companies, that's been evident before the invention of the Internet.
IP and it being tied to an ISP has always been an issue, you should've always be using a way to mask your IP as well.

Aw, well shit.

Time to put the internet on the blockchain.
THROW IT ON THERE TOO I GUESS

Just because our generation doesn't know what privacy is, doesn't mean we can work to build a better future for the generations to come.

Why isn't trump stopping this? He's supposed to be the peoples president.

>mods know our names

We can also know the mods names

Deep state is likely threatening the safety of his family

Is "family" a neologism for "financial incentive"?

>"HURR DURR AMURIKANS R DUM!!!!!!1!!!! XDDDDD"

Friendly reminder that ironic shitposting is not how you win arguments

Because he probably doesn't give a shit considering he has backed the FCC's plan to get rid of Title II Net Neutrality.

You can't win an argument for certain anyone, on the Internet, or otherwise.
Even if your enemy capitulates outwardly, they could still be utterly convinced of their standpoint (as could anyone else witnessing or partaking in the argument).
At best, you can achieve the sensation of victory.

I'm sorta mixed. On one had government kills competition and you need competition for a free market. On the other hand, current ISPs are going full jew and sometimes the government has to step in to kill a monoploy

It's not about that, it's about not letting ISPs censor/slow down content like what Comcast is doing to Netflix. We don't want anymore ISPs doing it.

Silk road is evidence enough

You do know that was because of the operators lack of OPSEC, right?

Silk road got busted because the owner made idiotic mistakes

>CAPITALISM IS GOOD
LMBO

(Thou). Now get out Timmy.Adults are talking here and it's past your bedtime.

yes they can, now drink your 8 glasses a day

Not the user, but that's a myth.

Its a myth that fluoride makes people passive?

No, you don't have to drink 8 glasses a day.

Really the fact that we still have a drug problem at all in this country just speaks to the stupidity of the authorities. They play up the narrative that criminals like the ones that operate successfully are masterminds whom finally get outwitted by a crack team of genius investigators when in reality most criminals are dumb as a sack of hammers. Every drug dealer I've ever talked to makes no attempt to hide the fact that they are dealing drugs to any rando they talked to and most are stupid enough to use the mail service to ship drugs across the country. People that deal in drugs are usually people that use drugs and people that use drugs are generally fucking retarded.

oh, yea I know it was over stated. I like to say it though because it makes it sound like medication.
They probably push for it that much to make sure youre drinking enough whatever (insert water conspiracy here)

If you still believe Trump is the "people's president" with all the shit he's done completely contrary to that, you either haven't watched or read a single shred of news post-election or are genuinely retarded. Hell, if you ever believed that a man who ran a fake university would be an honest political you were lying to yourself from the start.

>this is how pic related happens

Fix the bottom panel

At least he's better than Obama.

>having your personal info tied to you phone.
LELELELELELLELELE No one belived me, and called me crazy for finding ways to not do this, but here we are.

If it wasn't for all those pesky podesta emails, and news cover up attempts.

Memephone

We already know swaglord's name though.

This all assumes a few things doesnt it?
That you will still be living at the same address the phone is registered to
That you arent using someone elses internet connection
and that you are the person that pays for the internet.

>ZOMG !!!!!111¬one !!!! EVERYONE IS OUT TO GET ME !!!!!!

>"HURR U GUT SOMETHINK 2 HYDE???????///??? XDDDDD"

A photo of my arse.png

Then at least state your ways user

What is the problem? Anyone who cares about it knows also to use vpn, proxy, coffee shop wifi, etc. ISPs have always known your history anyway.

If anything, it makes clear internet activity is traceable which generates interest in technologies to be anonymous. Whereas, if it is claimed to be anonymous, but isnt, there is no interest in such things and you're in a worse position overall.

>mobile internet
never in my life have i used it
>home ISP
registered under a roommates name, really a lot of home connections have more than one user, this wouldn't be very useful

Is this worth making a guide for, because it's pretty much using every day accesible resources.

at the least i'd be interested in reading it. Hell buletpoints would work.

>really a lot of home connections have more than one user, this wouldn't be very useful

What a funny coincidence that IPv6 makes it possible to trace back exactly which machine is connecting to what server, huh?

if you're using ipv6, i suppose
my isp still doesn't support it

There will never be a technology that can escape from the fact that the less infrastructure you own the less secure you are. In other words if you are using an ISP then they will know exactly what you are up to and can release any information about you to anyone with the authority to have it or, in the case of commercially viable information they can sell it to whoever they want

>He doesn't use a private VPN

Hey, dumbass, your ISP knows who you are. VPN does nothing.

I agree, but what is your point and how does this new overtness change anything? I just mean, this shit has always / could always had happened, but now it is just more visible.

If anything, now it is better than the inception / dail-up at least.

Don't worry lads the free market will fix this

Just force ipv4 on your router, it's not like there is 4 billion people on your LAN.

i already have ipv6 disabled, my isp doesn't support it, and i have no need for it on my lan, so there's no reason for it to be set up

Find out where the execs live then go stick a camera in the face of their neighbors and ask why they tolerate living next to a shit head.

>Tor can only be a honeypot if two or more nodes are owned by the same guy which is unlikely.

>which is unlikely

Secret services are running dozens (or more) nodes. They just need to run automatized analytics over their log data
and can prove which IPs are connecting to which services.

Shame we don't have one of those.

This timeline is really trying to make me want to freeze myself.

>implying my carrier has that information
>implying my phone's IP is the one websites see

>That you arent using someone elses internet connection
>and that you are the person that pays for the internet.
>registered under a roommates name, really a lot of home connections have more than one user, this wouldn't be very useful
They can still narrow it down to your room mate or someone else under their bill before getting into the various browser fingerprinting techniques that have existed for years now, and those fingerprinting techniques will be ridiculously effective when they're only worrying about comparing ~10 devices on a home connection most of the time rather than tens of thousands or more that would be using your ISP in that region.

>Secret services are running dozens (or more) nodes
Oh wow, dozens. You clearly have no idea of the scale necessary for such an attack if you think dozens is a significant number to worry about.