/mkg/ - Mechanical Keyboard General

/mkg/ - ( •ω• ) Edition

>Buyer's template:
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Where to Buy:
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
>FAQs:
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>Keyset wiki (Its been like what a year now? Is he ded?)
keypuller.com (web.archive.org/web/20161101152119/http://keypuller.com/)

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oWgrnQGBBn4
aliexpress.com/item/2017-New-1pc-fidget-spinner-hand-spinner-Rotating-Toy-Wheel-Cleaning-Agent-Lubricant-Capacity-30ML-Weight/32829114331.html
ebay.ca/itm/NPKC-White-Orange-mixed-Sunshine-Theme-Thick-PBT-104-61-87-OEM-Profile-Key-caps-/182793958664?var=&hash=item2a8f5e7508:m:mM9odyqCkE3YBD_4QCfGw0A
youtube.com/watch?v=yDZQPDEBSYw
youtube.com/watch?v=Fea9OxQHebU
youtube.com/watch?v=_gsDG9inG50
youtube.com/watch?v=R1zW0KArDHk
youtu.be/9UhLZ9AWHJM?t=390
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I need 55g domes bad.

Asked in the other thread, gonna ask in here again. I'm looking for suggestions for 75% keyboards around $100-150. The Vortex Race 3 looks nice, but I don't like how flat it is. Also looking at the Tada 68. But more suggestions are always welcome.

Kbd75

Tada68 doesn't have the function row if you didn't notice. KBD75 is probably the way to go if you can go a little over your budget

Excluding korean/chinese customs
keycool84, plum84, magicforce82, noppoo mini, Drevo gramr, Drevo excalibur, E-element z88, MK84, TG3, G84-4100, SMK88, DSI modular keyboard, etc.
Those are all just from the top of my head. I went with the magicforce, just because it came with the switches I want

Oh shit, I didn't even notice. I mean, I don't really use them that often, but I'd at least like the option to have them.

Woah that's a lot of suggestions. Thanks, I'll check them out. That magicforce looks real nice, but I hate those caps. I'm getting blind just looking the picture

I was shopping for a 75% too, there were more suggestions, but those are the ones I remember. The magicforce is okay and I only paid 70 bucks for it. The keycaps do suck and I plan on replacing them when a nice doubleshot PBT set comes out, but the only other keyboard with gateron clears that I could find was the Tada68.

>loud stabilizers on anne pro after a couple of days

i dont know shit about lubing

just come all over your keyboard

semen is the perfect lube

I've seen this keyboard and desk before. You always have neat guns.

What's your lighting setup like? Gonna redo mine soon for obvious reasons.

youtube.com/watch?v=oWgrnQGBBn4

aliexpress.com/item/2017-New-1pc-fidget-spinner-hand-spinner-Rotating-Toy-Wheel-Cleaning-Agent-Lubricant-Capacity-30ML-Weight/32829114331.html

I have no extra room lighting for photos, rather I'm bouncing a powerful flash off the ceiling which creates strong, even light at the angle and intensity of my choosing.

Ah ok, neat. I meant more your lighting for general use at the computer, but that's also good to know.

Also, kek at that mag.

How's nkpc for keycaps?
ebay.ca/itm/NPKC-White-Orange-mixed-Sunshine-Theme-Thick-PBT-104-61-87-OEM-Profile-Key-caps-/182793958664?var=&hash=item2a8f5e7508:m:mM9odyqCkE3YBD_4QCfGw0A

Best keyswitch for a newfag to mech keyboards? I want something tactile and clicky, probably choosing Blue. Someone once told me linear not clicky switches are just more consistent rubber domes, is that true?

Linears feel nothing like rubber domes, that guy is retarded. Also Cherry/Gateron blue switches are a good introduction to mechanical keyboards. They aren't the best clicky switch though.

I wanted to go for Outemu Blue, which are apparently the best clone of them in the sense they are most similar to original Cherry switches.

Gateron switches are the best Cherry clones, Outemu makes crappy switches they're so scratchy.

I heard that Cherry Blues are scratchy too, and I'm sure with extended use it will smooth out.

They aren't scratchy, they're just scratchier than gateron switches which are really smooth.

Yes it will, but then you're talking heavy use over a period of years. As in, only first-party Cherry boards that have been used daily in a business environment for enough years that the entire plastic case turns yellow and the PCB is completely covered in dust get that smooth.

Roccat is a good keyboard make. I can confirm it is better than all the crap like Razor. This keyboard (Roccat Suora) has lasted 3 times longer than any razor ever did for me.

I get that and I know Gaterons are smooth but chinks refuse to make boards under 40eur with Gateron switches, closest one is the James Donkey 619 but I hate it's looks.

>They aren't the best clicky switch though.
What is in your opinion?

I'm betting either buckling spring over membrane, buckling spring over capacitive or one of those autist Aristotle hybrids.

Kailh box switches

Buckling springs aren't clicky

>spring buckles
>pushes hammer downwards, striking the side of the barrel and making a click noise
Sounds clicky to me.

Is it worth getting the aluminum case for the Tada68 or should I just get the plastic case?

heavier is better don't you know

sent from my 3.5kg solid block of milled aluminium with stainless steel weight insert

It doesn't make a clicking sound like Box switches, aristotles, or blue switches. I can't really explain the sound but it is nothing like those switches. It is a better switch for sure but it doesn't sound clicky.

are there any keyboards that even come with boxes yet?

no, that's why you build them yourself.

No, but you can just build one yourself or get a hot swappable board.

I would build but i think that's too expensive for me right now. What gateron switches do you recommend?

Complicated ALPS switches make godly noises. Too bad they're nigh impossible to obtain in good condition these days.
youtube.com/watch?v=yDZQPDEBSYw
youtube.com/watch?v=Fea9OxQHebU

There's more of a metallic ping but that's still a click. More of one than an MX's plastic rattle, honestly.

It's literally the original clicky switch. If cherry style switches sound different, then they are the ones which aren't clicky.

>complicated alps
How do Matias clicky switches compare? They're definitely much easier to obtain.

The only cherry style switch I would recommend are linears.

That's why I find box switches to be the best clicky switch, they don't sound like a plastic rattle but an actual nice, sharp click. The new thick click switches sound great too.

There were plenty of clicky switches before the buckling spring, but many of them also had a metallic ping so that's not to say the bucklespring isn't clicky.

True, I was talking strictly from a modern perspective, considering beam springs and the like to be basically proto buckling springs. You're right though.

Matias switches are clones of simplified white ALPS, rather than the earlier complicated design. Still more clicky than the plastic click jackets in MX switches but not as beefy as their predecessors.
youtube.com/watch?v=_gsDG9inG50
youtube.com/watch?v=R1zW0KArDHk

The low profile switches with essentially the same click mechanism are pretty nice too.
youtu.be/9UhLZ9AWHJM?t=390

Damn those sound good

>youtu.be/9UhLZ9AWHJM?t=390
seems overly clicky like razer ornata or someshit. would like to hear them with proper keycaps tho

Do you guys can share some of your 80% keyboard pictures ? (and without any space between keys)

That's a 75%.

80% is standard TKL, 75% is the same amount of buttons (roughly speaking) compacted into the smallest possible footprint.

I would love to post my kbdfans 75% but it's not constructed yet
I'm in the middle of a crisis as to whether to keep the gateron greens for it, or wait for the tealios and use those instead

Oh thanks ! the aesthetics are godlike with a 75%
Good luck to choose man and thank you for the website

I'm thinking about selling my Pok3r and getting something different like the VA69M because I want an ISO board, but would I be able to get anything for a Pok3r? It's the model with the white backlightning which are impossible to find nowadays, you can only find the RGB models now, and MX Clears and ePBT caps.

try mechmarket on r*ddit

I bought one of these last week. Though I got the one with the non chode backspace. I wish it had a removable cord, but it's otherwise amazing, especially as I'd been using the same G105 for the past four years.

>non chode backspace
What did he mean by this?

Do tealios clicky switches more like icky switches

what are some useful functions that i can map my useless keys to? mapping the pause break to sleep my computer is convienent.

Why are Topre keyboards so expensive?

Supply and demand, also because they know people will buy them for that much.

Thoughts on Rantopad Mxx red switch? Planning to buy as my first mkb.

So, after about 12 years i managed to go through ALL my rubber dome keyboards with multimedia keys (1 lg, a couple MS and a samung, of course nothing was OEM). Shit i piled up in the course of the last 3 rigs.
Last week i decided to try something completely NEW for me:
>usb keyboard
>mechanical keys
Nothing above 45 euros.
I found the Aukey KM-g6.

Fifth, it doesn't look that keyboard manufacturers are cheap on cords anymore, at least this has a 1.5 meters long usb wire (microsoft used to sell 1.2 meters long corded keyboard, disgusting).
SixthKeys are really risen from the front plate, it feels like i really need a palmrest this time. Probably i will resort to utilizing my actual jerking off cloth as a temporary solution
Third, it's REALLY noisy, it's positively the most noisy thing i have around (and i have drunk refugees around me all the time).
First, for 50 euros, it feels like the best typing device i've ever used. I thought people were talking shit when disparaging the rubber dome master race keyboards in comparison to mechanical ones... but they were 100% accurate.
Second\b, i fear that now, typing on any of my laptops keyboards, will feel even more dis-comfortable.

>Supply and demand
They seem easy and cheap to produce. The only option is the lack of demand, but that's true also for buckling spring, with the difference that Unicomp doesn't charge two hundred bucks for their keyboards.

Anyone got thoughts on pok3r 3 is it a meme or worth investing in ?

I have the majority of mine mapped to Macros for things I use frequently like SSH etc.

Pok3r is a good board but I feel its beaten by competitors like the tada68. I own both

They're far from cheap to make. Even cheapest chink clones are 100 bucks. Capacitive switches are quite costly

The HHKB isnt actually that pricy if you live in japan its something like $150

>Capacitive switches are quite costly
Literally a rubber dome, a spring, and a PCB with slightly more metal than usual.

And a cpu is just some sand, 10 cents of tin, some copper, and 6 cents of gold

Every keyboard has an internal controller.

Anyone has experience with Leopold FC900R PD ?

Really thinking on buying one,looks high quality. Also cherry brown or clear? Im used to brown but i heard clears are similar.

I have a leopold fc750r and that board is simply amazing. Build quality is top notch and the stock keycaps are great. Clears are pretty much better browns imo. They have more of a tactile bump and are a bit heavier to press, but overall feel better than browns unless you type lightly.

PCBs are etched, so leaving more copper on doesn't actually cost anything.

>Roccat is a good keyboard make.

No it's not. At least not for the price

> I can confirm it is better than all the crap like Razor.

Yes. But that's not saying much.

> This keyboard (Roccat Suora) has lasted 3 times longer than any razor ever did for me.

A decent keyboard should last at least a decade or 2.

what is the latest/newest vortex board?

You mean that shitty vibe with shitty SA knockoffs

Genuine question, why are capacitive buckling spring PCBs expensive then? Or are they actually not and I fell for a meme?

/blandbois/

That's honestly not bland, it's elegant in its own way. Bland would be that but with extremely boring legends.

thank frend

what kind of kb is this? this looks like the form factor that i want and does it comes in brown switch?

Why do you pay *more* for a keyboard with *less* features. Non-etched 60% keyboard is basically half-made.

I'm honestly curious. I own a mechanical keyboard and I like it. I just can't understand why would I pay more to drop the lights (which are useful during the night time), the etched keycaps (useful when others are using my computer) and the numpad (useful when banking). It's literally "pay more for less" -situation.

Low demand = low production run = higher unit cost

ducky boys ww@

>night time
dont need it when you touch type. The ditching of the numpad is for better ergonamics. In my use case, I love the numpad so I wouldn't ever ditch it. People have different use cases. As for why you pay more, its basically because of how niche it is.

also basically this:

How about you read the posts retard

so why are 90s keyboard like the IBM Model F so good? I thought we were suppose to advance in technology?

>no ultra citron
come on user
also just got my shine 6 a few hours ago - very nice

The light can be disabled. Does it really bother you that much you want to PAY MORE to NOT HAVE THE OPTION TO USE LIGHT? I don't need it but it looks decent in the dark.

I understand the numpad thingy, I actually have a carpal tunnel and could ditch it but the price of 60% mechanicals is ridiculous. Might just buy a regular 60% keyboard for $20 and toss my mechanical somewhere to collect dust.

How about you read the posts retard

retard how about you shut the fuck up if you're not gonna answer the question dumbass

I'm not the one asking the questions moron, now read the posts retard

Okay here is the answer
Happy now

Blue switches.

>>memeboys 2001
>>arizone iced tea
>>vans

I'm trying to find a key set that will match the color on the top of this mouse in pic related. I think maxkey dolche might be the closet color wise?
I'm open to any suggestions that are easily obtainable(so no second hand out of production stuff).
I can't tell if it will match the gray beige retro color sets but it looks damn close to dolche.
The caps will be going on a masterkeys pbt s which is just a standard TKL with bezel.

Why does everything reasonably priced have gaudy gaymer shit keycaps

Because your understanding of reasonably priced is skewed.

Is this purrfect? OwO

>non jp HHKB
no

lucky trips, just get a re-branded filco for 60 bucks on amazon

Perfectly autistic