Help me decide on a laptop

Uses:

>Photoshop + Illustrator
>Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint
>Light gaming

Budget: $1500 - $2000 CAD

I've narrowed it down to 3 choices

costco.ca/Lenovo-Legion-Y520-English-Gaming-Laptop,-i7-7700HQ.product.100368978.html

amazon.ca/MSI-GS63-7RD-072CA-STEALTH-i7-7700HQ/dp/B074W5GJZV/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1508198627&sr=1-1&keywords=MSI GS63

amazon.ca/MSI-GS73-7RE-003CA-i7-7700HQ-GTX1050TI/dp/B01NCSW41N/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1508199663&sr=1-1&keywords=MSI GS73

Since I'm a student portability would be nice and the two MSI Stealths fit the bill (0.77 inch thick vs 1.1 on the Lenovo), and the graphics are the same as well, 1050Ti and 1050. Obviously the Lenovo and MSI GS73 have better cards, 1050Ti 4gb vs 2gb 1050 on the MSI GS63.

I'm wondering though if the 1050 will be enough for me to do Photoshop and Illustrator plus lots of Microsoft Office, and will the 1050Ti give me better performance for these things or would I not notice it?

Price wise, the Lenovo is cheapest at $1400, the MSI GS63 is $1750 and the GS73 is $1900 (normally $2100 on Amazon)

One more thing to note, the Lenovo screen apparently sucks, but the MSI screen has two types, and IPS LED for the GS63 and TN 94% NTSC on the GS73 with 120hz.

Is the 1050Ti with 2gb more DDR5, plus 120hz high quality TN panel, and 2 inch more screen worth an extra $150 CAD vs the GS63 with the IPS LED screen, and 1050 only with 2gb ddr5?

And I mean, is MSI reliable as a brand? I don't want to constantly send my shit in for repair, even though it has the warranty for 2 years. Does anyone else own the Stealth MSI laptops and can put their feedback on it?

Thanks Sup Forumsays and Sup Forumsyals

Other urls found in this thread:

eurocom.com/ec/configure(1,384,0)TornadoF5
warosu.org/g/?task=search2&ghost=&search_text="light gaming"&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

macbook pro

memepad unironically

Save yourself the virgin looks and get a Macbook or Chinkpad and don't game in public.

I've narrowed it down to these three, memepad would cost $700 more or even more for comparable specs and only 1 year warranty

MacBook is nowhere close to this power unless you spend $4000

I won't be using it for gaming in public, it'll mostly be used at home on a desk

>muh specs
you aren't doing anything demanding, you don't need some trash gaymen laptop

Check out the XPS line up. Specifically the XPS 15 for your price range. The bezel-less displays are unbelievable.

not your personal tech support

What
Said good advice. But if you already considered the Dell then I would go with IPS screen one since you are going to be doing graphics.

Checked them out but they're all U processors with either Iris graphics or the 900 series from nVidia, and they're also $2k or $2.5k, but the battery life is dopeon them, just doesn't have the same power

If you buy a gaming laptop you're going to regret it. If you must have a non-integrated GPU get something like a Precision or something that isn't going to fall apart and feel (and look) like a cheap dumpster fire.

So the 1050 with 2gb DDR5 will be fine to run Photoshop and Illustrator then? I'm coming from a Intel 3230M Core i5 with Intel HD 4000 lol

you don't need a gaming gpu for photoshop moron, just admit that you want to waste your money on a laptop for video games and make this easier for everyone

Unless you're doing high-end rendering, you don't need a dedicated GPU for Photoshop or Illustrator.

>it'll be mostly used at home on a desk
You'll get better performance out of a ~$1200 gaymen build and then you can pick up a cheap latitude or something similar for school.

>Help me decide on a laptop

eurocom.com/ec/configure(1,384,0)TornadoF5

why the fuck is this board so hostile toward people that want to have a laptop that has something other than integrated graphics?

if they would just come out and say they want a gaming laptop that's one thing, but they always say they want it for work/school/etc and """light gaming""" and then when you suggest something that can't play the newest games they refuse
warosu.org/g/?task=search2&ghost=&search_text="light gaming"&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post

Because they are always shit, they are always hot and loud, they are always expensive, and you'd be better off buying a cheap(ish) laptop and building a desktop.

>>Light gaming

what does that mean cause it looks like you want to learn adobe but you're already picking god ugly laptops. You want to design or game?

chinks will never give you value without paying an arm or leg for it. Their cheap plastic junk will last only a year or two before it looks and feels like hot garbage. Most MSI laptops barely make it past year 4.

Dell XPS 15
come with a 1050 like you have up there and its a good screen for designing. Also it does not look like a 14 year old designed it(all the ones you picked).

Okay guys I just bought the Lenovo Legion Y520 with the 1050Ti, 256gb SSD, and 2tb HDD, with i7 7700HQ.

Turns out it was THE LAST one in stock, and that's probably why it was so cheap for its specs. If I configure the same thing on Lenovos website it would cost $1650 or $1850 before discount.

If the screen is unusable I'm going to return it but I will use it for a few weeks to see how it is. That's literally my only gripe with the Lenovo.

you'll regret it
posting from a lenovo right now

Would it be fine if I plugged it into my external LG IPS LED display?

no, the laptop is still cheap plastic gaymen trash

cool so you didnt actually want to take advice and just bought what you wanted?
nice

yeah , i bought a consumer lenovo (flex iirc) it was junk

meanwhile the e570 or whatever works exactly as expected.

Also OP is an idiot for getting a gaming laptop.

I had narrowed it to three choices, and based on advice, which was useful, any of them would have been fine, so it came to price vs portability, and screen vs screen. I decided on the Lenovo for a savings of $375 CAD, it has the best specs out of my three choices I laid out, and the lowest price, which makes it the best price to performance.

My question in the beginning was that would these three fit my needs, and would it be beneficial to go with the MSI for a better screen and portability, based on feedback, yes, but it wasn't worth $375 more to me.

Tldr I did take people's advice into consideration, I just didn't make the choice you wanted me to make

all those gaming laptops are shit, i will never buy a gaming laptop again because theyre are garbage
thats what a desktop is for

>has the best specs
it might have the best processor or gaymen gpu but the specs that matter are still garbage
shit screen, shit build, shit battery, shit touchpad
should have just bought a macbook

Well we'll see when I have it in my possession how shit it is
Not everyone wants a desktop

Absolutely. If anything, it’s a tad overkill. An mx150 can do the job quite well, even integrated graphics are fine as long as you’re not working with a really large amount of layers and filters.

So the 4gb 1050Ti will be more than adequate then, I'm so hyped I can't wait to use it

If you’re mostly at a desk, yea. Just know that when you go outside it may not be a great time.

If you aren't poorfags you get Razer blades, just facts folks, you cheap niggers can buy massive 10 pound ugly af laptops or purchase the piece of metallurgical art that the Razer blade 14 is.

>Not everyone wants a desktop
And that's just being really stupid. some people can't have a desktop, but they are few.

>it'll mostly be used at home on a desk
You are retarded then. you're getting a shit computer.

I purchased a Y520 last Friday, i7-7700HQ+1050Ti config. It’s actually surprisingly good. It has the same quality keyboard as the newer Thinkpad models. Also it runs really cool, after 4 hours of gaming, CPU max was 67C and GPU max 58C, and this without turning on the extreme cooling option. The problem with this model is that you can get really lucky with the cooling like I did, or they can really fuck it up at the factory, as in the cooler and the paste on it won’t even touch the cpu/gpu die and it will run insanely hot. It also seems to have the same panel as the T560/570.

Can you take some pics of the red key outlines? Are they really red or just a little? And the screen is it good enough?

I will later today. I am at work atm. The red lighting is really good desu, I use it on the lower brightness setting. When it’s off you can’t really see it. It’s pretty modest for a gaming laptop. The screen looks nice to me. As I said it’s probably the same as the T570.

Alright thanks user

Bump

Get the dell inspiron 7000 range gaming laptop
1400$
16GB ram
4k ips

Enjoy your 30 minutes of battery life, and absolutely abhorrent quality control. Gaming laptops are the worst tech products ever. You should've bought a Dell XPS 15 or a T420.