So are Core 2 Duo laptops useless these days?

So are Core 2 Duo laptops useless these days?

I have one that I fired up few weeks back. 95% cpu load to watch Netflix.

Could be because of many factors etc...

Lol ask tpg

yes
Especially when you can get a 2nd gen I7 machine for like $100-200

My mother has one and still goes strong. It gets kinda hot with HD video but that's about it (she never watches HD stuff).
It depends on the kind of use you want to give it

When will Sandy Bridge become obsolete?

As long as its got 4 cores probably not for a long time

Not much. Probably mostly a shitposting machine. I dont have Netflix also.

Depends on the use case; if you intend to run Windows, a Core 2 Duo is wholely outdated. On the other hand, if you were to install a minimal Linux distro, you could probably get a few more years of use out of it. With the progression of the web, however, I'd imagine a Core 2 Duo isn't going to like running webpages with lots of JS. But for your average productivity software it should be fine.

When Intel finally decides to release a new microarchitecture focusing on increased performance rather than reduced TDP (Which will probably not happen for quite some time).

Then probably dual X79 is my way to go and also pick a Sandy Laptop.
Thanks to everyone.

Then it should do the job. It's all about optimizing the OS on the laptop and using the correct web browser.

The problem is not with the core 2 CPUs, but the GPU inside them. My brand spanking new JADE(tm) CELERY(C) laptop has a Celeron N3350 which is as slow as a Core2 Duo SL9300, but it has a GPU that supports modern shit so it can play back YouTube and stuff properly.

This. Upgrading the RAM also helps a bit

I have t9900, and it's okay for browsing, and watching videos.

>he fell for the multiple core meme

What's better for web browsing, and video streaming core2duo at 3.06ghz, or a core2quad at 2.5ghz?

A cheap discrete GPU would make a bigger difference.

i7-7600u is ~40% faster than a 2620m, so if that matters I guess it pretty much is now. Otherwise, SB will do the majority of stuff just fine.

Keep in mint that the 7600U is also only 15W, while the other is 35W. The 7700HQ can be configured to run at 35W and it totally destroys the 2620M.

For laptop though.

Then obviously more power is always better

this seems accurate, my T500 with a T9600 + Radeon 3650 + 8GB still holds up pretty well for most tasks. 720p YouTube videos play smoothly.