How do I get this thing working?

I really, really need to figure out this. This is the only way to sanely distribute and install your app on many distros. Also, it's backed by canonical so I get corporate support and place in Ubuntu store. Well, flatpak would be fine as well, but it's even more immature, even less active and even more buggy. AppImage would be almost fine except that it doesn't install shit, so icons and startup-entries are out with it, but if snap and flatpak don't workout I'm ready to pick that option. All other things, like linstaller, 0install, autopackage are absolute memes, nobody use them, I checked with Google trends.

I asked 18 hours ago, got 50 views, and still nobody said anything useful.
askubuntu.com/questions/965455/how-do-i-create-an-opengles2-and-glfw3-snap

Maybe there are some smart anons familiar with snaps here?

Other urls found in this thread:

appimage.github.io/apps/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Snaps and Flatpaks are a retarded meme and should be kept as far away from GNU/Linux as possible.

Snaps and Flatpaks are the future of Linux app packaging

Keep telling yourself that. Only for large proprietary software like Spotify, Skype, Steam and Discord. Not for your dumb amateur program or any other decent program made for Linux.

This, so are .deb and .rpm
Really how the fuck genius things like PKGBUILD and Slackbuilds didn't catch on is beyond me.
tarballs 4 lyfe

NixOS and GuixSD are the future.

This. There is one thing that makes some sense and that is containers like Docker has them. Everything else can fuck off.

Quite the opposite. Large software can get into the repositories because of how popular it is. Meanwhile, small software stands no chance.

So if you want to distribute your small app, you have to either:
1) Wait until your app will be rejected from the distro repository
2) Distribute source and make users install shit (nobody wants to do that, imagine your average Joe meeting a linkage problem, he's just going to drop your software)
3) Provide a snap/flatpak.
It's super easy, convenient, you can update from upstream immediately. Simply "snap install", or even find it through the Ubuntu store.

So, as I've said already, Snaps and Flatpaks are the future of Linux app packaging.

PKGBUILD are just to do Arch

The real thing that caught on to an extent are Gentoo's more flexible ebuilds.

Snaps are available on both Gentoo and Arch.

There are easier way to install small apps. Even the most window managers are make installable in a minute. Using snap or flatpak for small apps is retarded.

The reason large proprietary programs benefit from these shitty new ways of packaging is because their devs are lazy fucks who don't give a fuck and they all rely on outdated dependencies that are not available anymore.

>window managers are make installable in a minute
Ricer faggot detected. Opinion discarded.

Just an example that popped to my mind. Using a light window manager is barely "ricing".

Anyways, pretty much everything can be compiled easily, as long as you haven't created a bloated IDE, a web browser or a whole new DE.

Why would Joe choose you app where he has to download the tarball, install the build dependencies with a his package manager, install the app, remove build dependencies, when he could just use
sudo snap install app

?

Tell me once they support portage's functions rather than what canonical needs.

Particularly I need to enable/disable features with USE-flags, have the option to get binaries with PIE and ThinLTO and such, with or without debugging symbols included, and some more such things.

If it can't do all of this, it needs to have isolation as good or better than docker or rkt containers, else why would I use them at all? Even if I happened to be forced to use a noncompliant binary thing, I'd obviously want the docker / rkt variant for more complete isolation. It's also the more widely used solution, too, with more published content.

>If it can't do all of this, it needs to have isolation as good or better than docker or rkt containers
They can be COMPLETELY sealed and sandboxed. It's a completely separate packing system, a complete separate virtual file hierarchy on your system. It's Ubuntu Anywhere. One app works everywhere. They could be even implemented on Mac and Windows.

They're clean and self-contained, they leave NOTHING behind. Snaps are perfect.

I'm not familiar with Snaps, but last I tried, Flatpaks absolutely destroyed Font Rendering, X Configuration and DPI Scaling as well as ignored the default theme (Breeze) set by KDE. Many of my flatpak programs have also outright broken or disappeared with the transformation to flathub. Flatpaks have caused me way more trouble than downloading a tarball and make installing it would have.

Flatpak is the freetard alternative. No wonder it works like shit. Meanwhile, snaps are endorsed by Canonical, a respectable, multimillion-dollar corporation.

Snaps are way better than flatpaks. Flatpaks don't even have a centralized repository (flathub is empty and community maintained)

>Flatpaks absolutely destroyed Font Rendering, X Configuration and DPI Scaling as well as ignored the default theme (Breeze) set by KDE
These packages are self-contained. They can't know what's outside.

So how do GOG games work then? Because they distribute a .sh file and extract the game onto your PC, and it isn't open source. So point 2. makes no sense.
Also what about appimage?

They aren't nearly as well-isolated as docker or rkt containers last time I checked. If they are approximately the same now, I'd like to hear why this extra thing is better than rkt or docker containers.

I wasn't asking to run standard Ubuntu binaries on Gentoo Hardened (what, did you enable PIE and SSP and all the other stuff) or Gentoo optimized for small size either.
I could agree if the concept was to run the far more capable ebuilds with dependency management and all on Ubuntu, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

>by canonical
So it's either gonna be abandoned immediately (see: Ubuntu mobile), or be buggy as fuck and then abandoned (see: unity).

>centralization is good
Fuck off

GOG games have a proprietary installer. They're neither snaps nor flatpaks.

>Also what about appimage?
You don't install it. You click twice and it runs.

t. butthurt freetard

It's distro tribalistic shit. Use appimages instead.

appimage.github.io/apps/

>appimages are the future of Linux app packaging.

fix

Gobolinux is the future

What makes it so special, compared to the more popular alternatives (Nix and GuixSD)?