Asus let the cat out of the bag

>bit-tech: Can you go into more technical detail about why the new CPUs are not backwards-compatible with Z270 motherboards?
>Andrew: Actually, it depends on Intel’s decision.
>bit-tech: So it’s not a physical limitation? Intel said it was to do with power delivery.
>Andrew: Not really. It [the power delivery] makes a little bit of difference, but not much.
>bit-tech: So what are they referring to – the 20 or so unused pins from before?
>Andrew: Yes.
>bit-tech: So if you wanted and Intel let you, you could make Z270 compatible?
>Andrew: Yes, but you also require an upgrade from the ME [Management Engine] and a BIOS update. Intel somehow has locked the compatibility.
>bit-tech: The 20 previously unused pins that you mentioned, what are they now used for?
>Andrew: Many of them are used for power control. It's possible that these are in preparation for the high-core count processors.

bit-tech.net/features/tech/motherboards/asus-interview-andrew-wu-rog-motherboard-pm/1/

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/intel/comments/76yiov/asus_confirms_coffeelake_could_have_worked_in_z270/
reddit.com/r/intel/comments/76op5s/8700k_overclocking_warning_do_not_expect_5ghz/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why would the company or intel let he talk about it? Will intel sue Asus?

THIS IS PROPRIETARY INFORMATION DELET THIS

>Will intel sue Asus?
No, no, no. That's bad publicity.
They'll probably just quietly deny ASUS new business.

Most surprisingly the shills on Sup Forums will defend this. They literally defend one night stands Intel is having with them.

Who the fuck cares, mindless goyim cattle will buy it anyway.

Motherboard manufacturers have been resistant to Intel kikery in the past, such as the non-K overclocking situation. It would create good will for them AND clear old inventory that nobody wants now.

>intel brings out new cpu
>intel releases new sockel
>2017 and people are still surprised that intel never allowed backwards compatibility on their hardware

wanna tell us about y2k in the next thread?

wtf I love amd now

>quietly deny ASUS new business.
and lose 30% of the desktop sales? yeah, right

Z370 uses the same socket though. And essentially the same chipset, just renamed. But you're right, they do have history even for his level of fucking their customers over, as they arbitrarily stopped Broadwell from working on Z87 boards as well, despite it working on Z97 ones using the same socket. They claimed issues with power delivery in that case too. Really makes you think.

same socket.

Where are Intel fanboys? Why are they lurking this thread? Why aren't they posting?

probably busy on Sup Forums
theres a thread debating the amount of jews that died in the holocaust

>Me one year ago
>"I'll buy a 6600k it seems like a good buy!"
>Few months later
>Kaby Lake hits
>Same socket, upgrade chipset
>Backwards compatible
>"Oh well that's not so bad"
>Few months later
>Coffee Lake hits
>In less than a year my CPU has been lapped twice
>"Oh well I'm sure the difference is minor"
>Notice the 8600k is hex core
>Notice there's a new unlocked quad core i3
>"Fuck. Oh well, at least if I feel the need I can just pop a new CPU in. After all, it's the same socket!"
>Notice it's not backwards compatible.
>FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

the 6600k is still fine, got mine @ 4.7. will wait for ryzen2 before upgrading.

Mine's at 4.5. Got it up to 4.6 but I didn't like the temps.

I think mine's a dud though. I see people saying they're getting over 4.5 while staying below 1.3v and if I go a hair under 1.35v I get crashes at 4.5.

i think i did [email protected]. But even with 1.32v i get max temp of 60ish with a noctua u12s cooler.

50% reach 5ghz was my takeaway

My 6700k does 4.5 at 1.29V

Probably. Since Asus kicked Intel out in their smartphone business

We knew this already

We have so many Incel shills on this board and none have commented yet. Where are you, guys?

they were not instructed on how to reply to this

50% reach 5ghz. Besides, this is nothing new anyway

but actually the first two things aren't that bad.
neo-Sup Forums here. The average goy buys a new PC by just going into the store and taking one of the machines / ordering online, it is the fucking same. Looks good on a pic? Bought. That easy.
The average customer doesn't look into the parts and isn't interested in it anyways.
>High numbers xyz grafix
>awesum cpu bullshit i123410
That is enough. If the cpu goes to shit, they just buy another pc. Nobody in the 'average customer' field changes parts and if something breaks they just buy a whole new machine, except it is something easy like the network-card or grafixxxxxxxxxxx
also I don't give a shit about this post anymore.

t. living in 2002

Prebuilt PC sales have been declining for a long time, whilst component sales are rising. Building your own PC is so easy that even Sup Forumstards do it these days.

You know, as much as I love the effects of competition vs. monopoly - ASUS being the undisputed largest mobo manuf. has one unexpected benefit IMO:

They can screw around (more accurately: hold their ground or play tit for tat) with Intel, because Intel rely on them quite a great deal.

Fanboyism is childish. I've mostly had AMD gpus during my life but I bought i7 6700k because at that time AMD was pretty much shit. Probably gonna go with AMD next time.

why would the i3 not be backwards compatible?

isn't this thread a little anti-semitic?

Because Intel are kikes. The Coffee Lake i3s have been proven to be a rebranded Kaby Lake i5s. They're identical in terms of components on the board and share the same stepping as the KL chips, which is different to the "real" CL ones. It's an entirely arbitrary software lock.

I think ASUS (along with other mobo manufacturers) is pissed at Jewtel because of the Z270/Z370 situation, and rightfully so. Because of this recent jewness, they're stuck with a unsold Z270 mobo stock that they will probably never get rid of.

that's what I mean
is there confirmation on the i3s getting locked out as well?

>35% percent more expensive than 1700
>Still slower in multithread applications, even at a +30% higher clock speed.
Intel shills will defend this

Intel subreddit is full of crying goys. Could this be the end if Intel?

reddit.com/r/intel/comments/76yiov/asus_confirms_coffeelake_could_have_worked_in_z270/

Probably why Intel are desperately trying to shift the 7700K and 6700K by giving away copies of Kang'z Creed and Total Warhammer 2 with them. Hopefully people won't be dumb enough to take the bait.

Yes. They don't work on Z270 boards. They could with a simple BIOS update, but Intel won't let that happen, as stated in the OP.

Ahahaha!

reddit.com/r/intel/comments/76op5s/8700k_overclocking_warning_do_not_expect_5ghz/

Reading Intel subreddit is a goldmine of idiocy and butthurt.

Encodes x264 faster than any ryzen

>these are in preparation for the high-core count processors.
Heh Just Wait™

Okay
>zen2 releases
>8700k gets btfo

Now what?

Make more skus

YOURE GENIUS BRIAN
50+ SKUs in Scalable shit was not enough?

>50% reach 5ghz
DELID DIS AMD SHILL EVERY COFFE LAKE DOES 5.4 GHZ FUCK YOU

>Actually, it depends on Intel’s decision.
Holy shit.
What's new? 3dxpoint could be worked on z170 too but they decided to offer this fine product only to 270 users?

Actually if you check the recent history, asus and a couple other major mobo manufacturers, gave in to intel's pressure to limit am4 supply and focus on the amazing 270.
They were not only screwed by this, because makers likes biostar had a greater variety of products by laynch, but they stayed behind in bios roll ups and issue fixing with their motherboards.
Asus lost a great part of the ryzen launch momentum, which others grabbed it.
Intel has been neglecting, the formerly praised review sites, they didn't even care about sending free h/w or anything exclusive, so the sites started not respecting the ndas and other staff about intel. Now, even close partners, like asus is shitting on them.
The jewntel empire is falling apart left and right, but idiots still don't realise it.
The greatest wound intel suffers is from arm and the mobile/embedded.
Intel needs a fast reformation, they must lay off and start selling useless divisions or make them spin offs.
They won't survive if they stay like that.

1.35 is completely reasonable
I have 4.8ghz at like 1.35
Hers a chart of 6600k and 6700k ocs

Sup Forums-tard here, can confirm
pc working nicely but regret not splurging on the 6700k and a 390x

>>FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
haha epic!°!! xD

I've never understood why this matters.

It's always been fucking stupid to upgrade within the same socket. You would never replace an i7 2600k with an i7 3770k, or an i7 3770k with an i7 4770k, or anything even close to the same gen.

If you're going in with the idea "I'll buy a dual core now and upgrade later" you're retarded.

>It's always been fucking stupid to upgrade within the same socket
All fun and games till charlie wants a bigger paycheck

You're dumb. Not everybody buys the top CPU available right off the bat. It's perfectly reasonable to get an i5 and then upgrade to an i7 a few years down the road when more threads are needed.

The majority of Z1xx-Z2xx could probably handle Coffee Lake silicon but you may run into power delievery issues when you try to overclock the chip hard..

The issue is with and B and H series boards. They aren't typically as overengineered and might run into power issues (instability) when trying to run 8700/8700K at full load. Intel would end-up doing a repeat of PIII 1.13Ghz debacle.

>its not in motherboard maker's interest to make new shit either

i3-2100 until recently i got a cheap i5-3570k from a spanishbro

t.poorfag

That's what happens when semites get caught being semites.

That's irrelevant though. Motherboard manufacturers wouldn't have to issue BIOS updates for every single board. It'd be up to them to only issue updates for boards that could handle the extra power draw.

It's not in their interest to be stuck with a huge inventory of unsold Kaby Lake boards either. Plus it hurts their PR too to have to tell people that the board they bought six months ago is now a dead platform. Throwing Intel under the bus and sticking the blame entirely on them makes sense.

Well it's kind of shitty considering that AMD has promised that Ryzen 2 and 3 are going to be compatible with current AM4 boards. If you go by the adage of upgrading every 3 years that means that an inventment in Ryzen now will allow you to stay competitive for the next 6 years. That's a pretty attractive option considering Ryzen boards are already cheaper than their Intel counterparts.

You buy a new motherboard to buy a new CPU
There is no realistic precursor to ryzen, hence all sale snow are mobo+CPU
You're suggesting that amd specifically made their lineup to sell CPUs to people 1-2 years after they bought one

While having "better sales tactics" than Intel for saving you the $60 mobo cost every 1-2 years

>it hurts their PR too to have to tell people that the board they bought six months ago is now a dead platform. Throwing Intel under the bus and sticking the blame entirely on them makes sense.
>What is Apple

Funny how people here tend to ignore the main point and just be optimistic.

"why the new CPUs are not backwards-compatible with Z270 motherboards? Andrew: Actually, it depends on Intel’s decision."

"bit-tech: So it’s not a physical limitation? Intel said it was to do with power delivery. Andrew: Not really. It [the power delivery] makes a little bit of difference, but not much"

"bit-tech: So if you wanted and Intel let you, you could make Z270 compatible? Andrew: Yes, but you also require an upgrade from the ME [Management Engine] and a BIOS update. Intel somehow has locked the compatibility."

Really sad to know that there was no real reason to have the compatibility locked away.

Yeah and there's reasons you're poor. Spending $120 on an i3 then $100-150 later for a used i5 is fucking stupid when you could have got the i5 3570k like 6 years ago for $200 and not used a shitty i3 all that time and spend more for it.

bit-tech: the 20 previously unused pins that you mentioned, what are they now used for?

Funny how you're copying posts straigt from reddit

Andrew: many of them are used in power control. It's possible that these are in preparation for the high-core count processors.

Well, there is an advantage that makes sense to many people. You can buy a good mobo now, and the next time you can buy a cheap mobo and drop the old CPU in.

Surprisingly enough, most people don't even seem to care. If it was actually available there would be a lot people throwing away their kaby / sky i5's/i7s out the window to throw more money at Intel. Pinnacle Ridge will slightly tip the scales back, but it won't be till zen2 where AMD stands a chance to actually outperform intel on a core for core basis.

Then they won't survive. Not with the diversity they have.
Unless 10nm++ will somehow be very good...

Asus is literally the no.1 motherboard manufacturer

>what is a Maximus IX

Did I accidentally fall back into 2009 with that fuuuuuuuuu?

What confuses me is why they don't solder their chips. Seriously, I can't imagine the savings from using mayonnaise instead are worth it when you manufacture in such huge quantities. If Intel would just
>solder their chips, at least the k and x models
>match AMD's price or at least price/performance
>stop jewing on motherboards
They wouldn't be having the problems they are. Until they at least go back to soldering, I can't even consider buying Intel.

5.4 is nothing with windows open in Siberia.

because ROG gayming crap

Whoops, I guess Asus won't be releasing any Z470 motherboards next year.

Z390*

soldering and smearing cum on the same package would demand two separate production lines
soldering requires the CPU to be heated on hot temperatures, increasing risk of complete die fail
soldering is a grade way to lower your already pathetic yields

Found the Jew

Then ditch the cum line and just solder. Fix the fucking housefires.

>already pathetic yields
~160mm^2 die can't have bad yields.

again, leads to lower yields
you expect intel to cut on profit?

They could get rid of the housefire meme.

no one outside the nerd/vidya bubble even talks about that meme
like 90% of their customers don't care and did suck it up for the last 5 years
they have gone away with it

What a sad world we live in.

>realize that there are no significant gains to justify upgrading your 6600k anyway