Linux distros now available for one-click install from the Microsoft Store on Windows 10

New in the Fall Creators Update adds full support for the Windows Subsystem For Linux.

fossbytes.com/windows-subsystem-for-linux-fall-creators-update/

Here are the distros you can one-click install today:

>Ubuntu
microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/ubuntu/9nblggh4msv6

>openSUSE Leap 42
microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/opensuse-leap-42/9njvjts82tjx

>SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12
microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/suse-linux-enterprise-server-12/9p32mwbh6cns

Other urls found in this thread:

virtualizationreview.com/articles/2017/02/08/graphical-programs-on-windows-subsystem-on-linux.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

too lazy to read: can i use graphical software without an extra x-server now?

Hey slowpoke, you can't do shit with this glorified terminal emulator. You can't even install youtube-dl. There is no way to install X and it is based on old software.

How can Linuxfags recover from this one?

I remember when suse was actually good before they got taken over by kbloat. The installer is wonky as fuck too.

never

You can't even edit Linux files, what's the point

>You can't even install youtube-dl.

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install youtube-dl

The botnet is strong in this one.

EMBRACE

EXTEND

EXTINGUISH

Google is on it.
Microsoft don't even bother extending it now.

what is a "linux file"?

Microsoft barely has any control over the development of those distros and I don't really see any way that they could use those Linux environments in any prominent way.

Are you referring to windows supporting about two fileystems (none of which are popular with GNU/Linux)? Or are you referring to the difference in new lines in human readable files?

line endings always used to bamboozle me until I realized that I have to stop using notepad

Did Microsoft just kill Cygwin?

How can loonixfags even compete in desktop threads now?

Do you think that this could open the door to some interesting vulnerabilities?
Haven't really read anything about this yet but i'm just picturing some stupid shit that users will do.

It did for me.

I never liked having to re-run the installer every single time I wanted to install a package in Cygwin. With this, I can install packages straight from the console using Linux repositories.

feature of the century

So what will happen to the old method of installing WSL where it downloaded a remote ISO? You get ubuntu now from the windows store.

you uninstall the old one with "lxrun /uninstall"

It turns out its possible to run graphical programs under WSL. You just need to install any X server. It's not offically supported, but it's definitely possible with a bit of configuring.
virtualizationreview.com/articles/2017/02/08/graphical-programs-on-windows-subsystem-on-linux.aspx

Cool, good luck doing much with it without xorg.

You can run xorg on WSL

what is this sorcery

NO! I JUST WENT TO LINUX SO I COULD SCREENFETCH FOR DESKTOP THREADS
STOP THIS RIGHT NOW!

now you can compile your shit on Windows too

VcXsrv if you want to LARP a lonix user.

>all those posters getting butthurt because they can't use their precious GUI and have to use the linux terminal

>Windows powershell is so fucking shit they had to port over linux emulators just to get fucking bash

J U S T
U
S
T

>run linux on windows
undeducated dumbfucks, as always.

You aren't running ANY part of Linux in those systems. The windows subsystem contains 0 line of code from kernel.org

You are running GNU/NT.

> plz download linux with "enhanced" kernel from our failed app store

why do you third worlders love quoting your own thoughts

This is also the first version where Chrome-linux runs.

No, because you can't produce windows binaries using the linux subsystem. Things like msys2 will continue to exist

>running linux guest
>in windows host
>why so backwards

I just compiled mpv for Windows on WSL. See

He's talking about wsl shitting itself if you edit the the linux filesystem (C:\Users\(you)\AppData\Local\lxss\root) from outside the linux subsystem.

You can edit stuff in your windows home area (C:\Users\(you) and /mnt/c/Users/(you) - same place) or anywhere else from both sides just fine.

How about running the actual OS

> You are running GNU/NT.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as the Windows Subsystem for Linux, is in fact, GNU/NT, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus NT…

>not Gentoo

Nope

I'd rather run Windows on a VM. Crippling Linux with Wangblows doesn't seem sane.

Linuxfags on suicide watch

Running linux at all doesn't seem sane. But here you are, trying to rationalize your decisions.

Really? why though.. You are just waisting resources running excuse me shit windows linux on linux.

im a noob
why would i ever use this as a windows user?

It's not like I run Linux for the sake of running Linux.

So you can realize how much better linux is and then get rid of the microsoft bloat and switch.

>GNU/NT
GNU wins again

How would you even know they are from a third wolrd if you are not from the NSA/Microsoft? Looks like projecting to me.

Tried to install Ubuntu.
Threw error at me.
Running fall update.

They are donating money for a reason, maybe after more donation once some of the foundations have taken on broader projects Microsoft or google will come on to say no more money if we don't do X, and that's how it begins.

They know Windows is dying and need to prepare their users for a Microsoft "Linux"

Oh right, forgot about the donations.

Curious how Microsoft's VM compares to VirtualBox?

>Microsoft's VM
It's called a hypervisor you mouth breather

He means the Linux API on windows

>being this dumb

I don't think that's the case. They're trying to get people to not switch to linux and steal some linux server marketshare

>implying the average user gives a shit what's under the hood
Microsoft could make their next version of Windows Linux with a pixel perfect Windows UI and perfect Wine compatibility layer, and none of their paying userbase would care

How is it being dumb? Microsoft has literally implemented Linux system calls directly on NT

1. The other poster didn't mean the system calls but the userland
2. That still implies some Linux code is used which is not the case

Microsoft is tricking people into saying they are use Linux, they don't.

This kind of lies is why we should enforce the term "GNU/Linux". Fucking Microsoft and its tricks.

That's great, but MS should release a windows subsystem for linux instead, with the source code included.

wine already exists

there's probably no way the linux devs would accept a windows subsystem if that's what you're implying

Don't worry, they'll just put it in systemd.

I wonder what's the state of the Linux trademark. Microsoft is in clear violation.

>xorg

For what

For the current state of gaming on linux

>still no nfs mounting

XPRA
P
R
A

Just be sure to not install the one in the repos, because (as fucking usual) it's years old.

who is gentoo dev

using bash you won't have the filename size problem that exists on windows since forever

now we need gentoo on windows

That game is available for Windows too.

DONG

There are perfectly working x servers for windows.

Where can I find lewds?

Another great victory for the Free Software movement!

Never has it been easier to use GNU userland on a Windows platform

I'm a regular MSYS2 user. Can I make windows software using gcc in this linux compatibility layer or whatever?

>botnet Linux
Wew

Only if your compilers support cross-compiling to Windows from GNU/Linux.

give me a job and I won't post on Sup Forums anymore

can it be handjob instead?

They realised that hip new developers don't like visual studio and they were losing market share in that demo to linux/osx. They're also too smart these days I guess to think they can compete so they're just like "fuck it you can work how you want to work on our platform too".

>be agoraphobic
>too afraid to schedule an appointment with psychiatrist, even over the phone
Suicide soon.

Xming?

there is clearly visible xming icon, you dufus

which country?

USA

ah, go ahead. You're too far from me. Kill yourself.

Thanks for trying.

>gvim