/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
&& /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#justgnu
wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu.
dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/dists/zesty/InRelease
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Default_applications
duckduckgo.com/params
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How come we don't call it just GNU?
Why the fuck would you mention the kernel when talking about your Operating System?

You dont have to use the gnu userland.
There are various other userlands that you can use with Linux

Forcing people to call it gnu/Linux is a political assault

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#justgnu

>You dont have to use the gnu userland.
>There are various other userlands that you can use with Linux
Yet you don't see people who use Android calling their operating system Android/Linux, nor just Linux.

Android is a form of Linux.
It is Busybox/Android Linux

The GNU project asks (it doesn't force) for equal mention/credit for the system they developed since 1983.

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

To problematic with this pasta is that it strawmans into "No, the name of the kernel is Linux, not GNU/Linux".
So, gently kys.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?

>In 2008, we found that GNU packages made up 15% of the “main” repository of the gNewSense GNU/Linux distribution. Linux made up 1.5%.

How are those numbers today?

>gNewSense
Lets pick the most obscure distro to make a majority distro assumption

Looking for a new, modern distribution for a workstation and a desktop. Void Linux and NixOS have caught my interest. I've used Debian as my main (and only) distribution for years, but would like to try a newer (allegedly faster and better) package manager instead of apt.

Arch
pacman

Can we all agree that KDE has made the most contributions to GNU/Linux out of any DE? Even compared to GNOME, KDE has given us more high quality software that's usable independently in any DE or WM of your choosing like krita, kdenlive, and kdialog which is far superior to the GTK file chooser which for years even to this day they've ignored the file picker bug that kdialog has had right out of the box.

I have zero kde software on my install

And you didn't even mention Dolphin.

I dont use KDE.

communism is very very nasty, and by extension, so are the GPL and Richard stallman

I've used Arch in the past and I did not like it. I felt like I was relying too much on AUR and I experienced a few outright broken and abandoned packages. I also have no need to be rolling on the bleeding edge. I am aware that Void is a "bleeding edge" distribution too but it's still way slower than Arch.

Sup Forums pls go

>Falling for an obvious Sup Forums false flag

I don't use a DE but I tend to use a ton of packages from Xfce. Qt programs look inconsistent and are not that good, Konsole and Krita being the exceptions. That being said, KWin is one of the finest Window Managers available.

When you use a DE you use unix WRONG

>unix
You mean that ancient system from the 70s? Who still uses that?

What is the best terminal emulator?

anyone know why dmenu wouldn't work in KDE?
when I run it nothing shows up

Konsole.

The one I'm using.
printf 'foo\nbar\n' | dmenu

rxvt-unicode. I don't see the advantages of st

My kingdom for a declarative distro (like guixsd or nixos) with rolling releases and no systemd

xfce4-terminal

Is it comfortable to write jn Java on Linux?
what are some languages comfier to develop in on Linux than Windows?

>printf 'foo\nbar\n' | dmenu>>
well that makes it show up but the only entries are foo and bar

That's the functionality. What did you expect?

The best language for GNU/Linux is C.

normally I'd just run dmenu and it has a list of installed programs
in i3 it does that at least

Python is one, no doubt. I've never actually used in on Windows, but unless you're using something like cygwin I can't imagine it feels as "native" to win as it does to lin

Upterm

That's dmenu_run.

oh, I'm just being stupid then

Firefox isn't respecting the local time of my system, using universal time instead. It's the only software on my system doing that(tried QupZilla, Telegram and KDE's own settings). Also verified the timezone with timedatectl and it is set on my local time. What could be causing this behavior?

your distro?

Rate this dmenu kill wrapper I just made.
pid="$(ps
aux | sed 1d | dmenu -l 15 -p kill: | awk '{ print $2 }')"; test "${pid}" && kill "${pid}"

Hit ESC or ^C to kill nothing.
Also, which scriptlets do you use with dmenu?

Jesus christ.
Added to the can't post-cuck list:
>ls -l
>ps aux

>ls -l
I actually had this problem a few days ago, it didn't dawn on me until hours later that this might have been the culprit. Honestly, if a website needs to drop requests containing these strings as a security measure then the site is probably extremely insecure already

AFAIK this isn't Sup Forums only - it's actually cloudflare. The same problem appears on other cloudflare protected imageboards too, so you basically can't even ask for fixing this.

A while back, I was reading a Linux story and something was mentioned about encrypted home folders. They said that even if they’re encrypted, your /var folder is vulnerable and bad people can still get info on you by accessing it. Is it true? If so, what can they find out? Should I just go with full HD encryption instead?

Whats a good place for Linux stories?

Well it was a story on a pc news site. Can’t remember what. It’s been a few months.

I'm trying to install wine-staging on ubuntu and followed the steps here: wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu.

But after doing apt-get update I get this:
E: Failed to fetch dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/dists/zesty/InRelease

wtf?

You should go with a professional therapy for your paranoia instead.

install apt-transport-https or replace https in the winehq sources.list file with plain http
The files are signed with gpg so there is no problem using plain https.

Lets speak about GNU/Linux machines. I sure I'll buy one of those Librem phones but now I also hear about ataribox runnig GNU/Linux. Anybody got info on that?

I don't think so because you can't modify files in var without root.

lwn.net

thanks

go to ataribox.com

It’s not paranoia. I’ve been robbed before. Have you? I used basic home folder encryption and luckily I’ve not seen any malicious activity on any of my bank accounts or credit cards. Having your financial information stolen is scary as fuck and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I guess the dumbfuck erased the HD and started fresh.

Arch

GPL has a capitalist incentive also. Did you even read the GPL licenses?

the installer for eclipse i downloaded wanted to install it in my home folder, but i changed it to /opt/eclipse. now i can't launch it by clicking or adding it to th e path, i have to execute sudo ./eclipse which is uncomfortable

should i reinstall it in my personal folder like the installer said, or do
sudo chmod 755 /opt/
as i found in google?

thanks for any help

Who owns /opt/eclipse/?

I did, is the first time I am tempted to subscribe to a mailing list in a long time.

i can't look it right now but i ran the installer as sudo since otherwise i would have to install it in my home folder, so i guess root owns /opt/eclipse

do you store your banking info on your pc?

does chromium have a content window modifier like firefox does? I want to be able to open up certain files like midis using a script to invoke foobar2000.

It uses xdg mime types so what ever you set up is what it will open with

where do you set them up?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Default_applications

Wait, what? Cloudflare/Sup Forums drops packets containing [REDACTED]? What the actual fuck? This might explain why I was having trouble posting an image the other day. Perhaps it coincidentally contained a forbidden string inside it.

meant for can't i link it in the path but with sudo privileges somehow?

Change the owner and permissions...
Then put it in your path and run it as "eclipse"

Pic related is an actual paragraph from a man page (resize2fs). Why are Linux devs so unprofessional?

Because they are actually microsoft devs.

inane

I actually like the newer standard definition (kilo/kibi). It makes things sane and easy to distinguish. Whoever wrote this is a fagit.,

>some political correct folks call it kilometers, while one kilometer is REALLY one mile!!!
fucking americans

Ugh. Autistic assholes like this cause all sorts of subtle bugs and confusion. When different people use different units, you get billion dollar space probes crashing into mars. A kilo means one thousand and nothing else. A kilobyte is officially defined as 1000 bytes.

What the hell is the point of using base 2 units if you are just going to pick ones that are as close as possible to powers of 10?

Under void linux, how different is installing a package by compiling it from gentoo?

>A kilobyte is officially defined as 1000 bytes.
No, a kiliobyte is 1024, 2^10.
No one uses si units, OSI or gtfo

Go back to Windows. Even retards know that kilo means 1000. This is an official standard, deal with it.

In computing kilo means 1024

I'm on a dmenu hacking run. Made one more.

url=$(: | dmenu -p search:); test "${url}" && "${BROWSER}" "duckduckgo.com/?kp=-2&q=${url}"

Pretty comfy.
For the url parameters consult: duckduckgo.com/params
Replace $BROWSER with your browser if you didn't set up that variable.

Also, which scriptlets do you use with dmenu?

>current year
>not using rofi

kilobyte = 1000
kibibyte = 1024
it's not that difficult

Exactly how many Kilobytes are in a Gigabyte then?

Gigabyte or Gibibyte?

Well, it's common for, say, "M" or "MB" to represent MiB on unix and linux. A lot of these programs existed before decimal prefixes did. Only different they don't include a rant against "political correctness" in their manual, nor make it intentionally confusing by using decimal naming.
>What the hell is the point of using base 2 units if you are just going to pick ones that are as close as possible to powers of 10?
Are you suggesting decimal prefixes are the proper units? Because they're not - sectors on your drive aren't in powers of 10.

>on unix and linux
>>>/reddit/

1000^2 KB = 1 GB

Shut it, twerp. Many programs still used today predate Linux.

And they aren't Unix nor Linux programs.

This. Anyone arguing against this has serious problems.

Is Linux Mint safe?

no, use ubuntu