/hpg/ - Headphone General

Requesting purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yVOHB5Y6ZMg
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Fkh3mUqWY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

Halp
>Budget
170 Europoors. I can try going up to 200, though.
>Location
Greece
>Source
Desktop PC
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Open, but I'll take closed if the soundstage is good enough
>Comfort level
I wear headphones a lot so I'd like something that's comfortable for extended usage
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD 201. It's okay for its price, I guess, but the pads are really worn out now. The bass also seems a bit too quiet. And judging from frequency response graphs, that is actually the case; even when compared to neutral and less bass-heavy headphones like the MDR-V6.

What's a more natural alternative to the Etymotic HF5? Something with a slight bass/sub-bass boost while keeping everything else roughly the same.

>600 confirms HD600 superiority

>natural
I think you meant to say "melanin-enriched," Le'Veon.

Suicide immediately.
HD579?
EQ. Because there is nothing with Etymotic's mids and highs.

Newfag here,
Is there any point spending more than like £70 or so on some closed headphones, if I just listen to music on my phone. I'm not really an audiophile, literally just use mp3, though I do listen to a huge amount of music.

HD558, HD598, HD579

Depends what the prices are like there

fucking checked.
>Suicide immediately.
buttblasted user

HF5 doesn't even have good mids and highs. It's already quite dark and Deyshawn wants to make it darker by adding bass.

How would you EQ the HF5?

>listen to piano solo
>the lower notes sound softer
>user thinks the only logical conclusion is that i'm a person of afro-american descent listening to hip hop
okay

I dont want to give Schiit any money. What soundcard or itx motherboard should I buy for crisp™ clean™ audio instead of a DAC?

>HF5 doesn't even have good mids and highs. It's already quite dark
How would you EQ them then? What would be a more "natural" alternative?

I would add upper midrange and treble and leave the bass alone because I'm not fucking deaf.

A simple bell shaped sub-bass boost around 50Hz.

How exactly? Because there are still some bumps and lows, I'm guessing.

I see then. What about mid/highs? Would you EQ them as well or are they perfect as they are?

Also, ignore:
because he's an elitist shitposter who thinks everyone wants a neutral frequency response.

Try the 50Hz boost I mentioned earlier.
Realtek ALC1220 on newer boards is good.
Technically the mids and highs are recessed but if you think they're enough leave them as is. You should EQ to make music more pleasurable for yourself, ignore anyone who wants you to EQ to meet their ideals.

The easy way to fix the HF5's treble and upper midrange would be to buy an 82 ohm adapter off of eBay. This will turn it into an ER-4S, essentially, and its treble and upper mids will be perfect. You'll still probably want to add bass after this, which I wouldn't do, but that's fine, go right ahead, personal taste and all. I really wouldn't recommend boosting the bass without fixing the upper mids and treble first, though, as this will simply muffle the sound.
I can't link you the adapter because Sup Forums thinks its spam but if you Google ebay etymotic 82 ohm adapter it's the first link that pops up.

A simple sub-bass boost won't muffle the sound, muffling only occurs when higher bass frequencies are added.

>he's an elitist shitposter who thinks everyone wants a neutral frequency response
Etymotics are not neutral when it comes to sub-bass though.

>recommending to buy an adapter which boosts highs when EQ does the same thing for free

jej

Incorrect. Boosting literally any frequency but the upper mids and treble will mask the upper mids and treble further.

Man switching from a closed set to an open set is weird.

Everything feels so airy

yeah look at this, literally zero fucking bass

Sure, he could seek out a parametric equalizer, compare ER-4S and HF5 measurements and learn to EQ the HF5 accordingly, but that's a lot of effort and I'm not quite sure everyone is autistic enough to do that. That's why I said a $15 adapter is the easy way. It's just $15. You're not poor, are you, user?

>Try the 50Hz boost I mentioned earlier.
Around how many decibles at the 32 and 64 Hz mark?

Thanks! Can you tell me how exactly do the mids/highs change with the adapter though?

post your headphones

Start with 6dB, if it's too light then add more.

The HF5's impedance curve dictates that as you add impedance to the chain its upper midrange and treble response increases.

I was recommended the HD558 instead of the ATH-M40x twice in the last thread but with no explanations.

It'll be for home use and very long periods of use, so I would be more inclined towards the HD558. Thing is they're open back.

How annoying can it be for someone standing like 2 meters away from you? How much do they leak?

I'm looking at 100-110$ USD and both of these go on sale for that much when converted from canadian prices.

>How much do they leak?
Play audio through your current set of headphones (presumably closed) and stand 2m away to find out. That's what open headphones will sound like to someone standing there while you have them on.

would it be worth considering the HD598 Cs?

fucking LOL'd. i'm sorry your headphones suck at subbass because they interfere with the midrange.

That image does not disprove the post it is replying to. It shows that boosting sub-bass will mask high frequencies less than boosting mid-bass an equal amount, but it does not show that boosting sub-bass will not mask high frequencies.

Are you a closed or open person? Or In ear?

Reason why optional

In-Ear > Open > Closed

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

>dat lack of cable management
>oil on keycaps

T R I G G E R E D.

At normal listening volume it sounds like a smartphone at 50%-75% volume. Its as annoying as someone playing a GBA or Nintendo DS at max volume 2m awway from you.
If youre a dormcuck and have a roommate I wouldnt recommend it

HD579 > HD598se/sr

>ER4SR

is this the ideal frequency response?

>nu-das keyboards

>das keyboard
>meme headphone and shiit stack combo
>shit cable management

Did you take your first month of mcdonald's wages and blow it all on this pleb 101 gear, user?

What's there not to like, user?
I love my das. Blank keycaps feel so good at the fingertips. It's as if I'm petting an idol's skin. Smooth.

open for listening to music
in ear for portable use

Don't be mean, McDonald's are one of the few places where an autistic person can find employment.

Closed for open office layouts.
Tech is full of autists and pays well.

Tech requires some form of education which you lack.

pics of your headphones

You mean you didn't go to uni?
I feel sorry for you, user-kun.

>Treble: the headphone

Post your headphones.

he posted his, now it's your turn

>mika and shiki
Patrician taste.
Idol trash approves.

>no timestamp

LOL

Nice copout, post your headphones.

>no timestamp

not worth shit

Post your headphones.

I will when you post yours with a timestamp

If you're going to bitch out of posting your setup please bitch out of posting in these threads forever, thanks.

no you won't
you should post with a timestamp so you can properly btfo people, not because I don't believe you

I'm not at home.

Just got my 880s and I've got the famous "bass rattle" in my left driver

Is it worth to open them up and give a look and maybe a clean?

He does seem like the biggest tool googling what's the most popular "X" then buying it after 30 mins of research from other people that have done the same thing.

Okay, look I posted my headphones.

I'm getting second-hand embarrassment from you user, please stop.

here's mine

Got the HD598 for £100, waiting for them in the post tomorrow.

Will the onboard audio on my mobo (Realtek ALC892) be enough to not devalue the purpose of getting them otherwise is there a fairly cheap DAC/soundcard that will remedy this.

I have the inline DAC from my now dead hyperx cloud IIs. Don't want to spent a lot since I'd rather dump that money on new PC parts.

>posts picture of my headphones
>anons think I don't own the headphones I posted

HD580

I don't care what you own, but you seem to think a picture without a timestamp is adequate proof and that's pretty ignorant

I wonder which one is ripped from the internet and which one has never been posted on the internet before.

just because it doesn't show up on google images doesn't mean you took the picture. oh man, you are bad at this

>just because it doesn't show up on google images doesn't mean you took the picture
If you can find another instance of that photo anywhere on the internet I'll personally buy you a pair.

I can say with confidence that you won't find it because I've never posted their S/N on any website, even when they were put up for sale.

>I can say with confidence that you won't find it
that's great. again, I don't give a flying fuck what you own. you are stupid for thinking that is adequate proof of anything. holy shit, you're on Sup Forums for fucks sake you SHOULD know this. actually who am I kidding?

You squirming around looking for goalposts to move and not being able to identify who I am because you're too new here is really killing my boredom at work, thanks. If you don't mind you can keep going.

>because you're too new here
>gatekeeping
pic related is my headphones, it is proof that I own them because it doesn't show up on google images

A timestamp wasn't necessary as
didn't use one

So much quarreling.
Let's post idols: youtube.com/watch?v=yVOHB5Y6ZMg

Here's your (You) so you keep going.

Dropped my current headphones on the floor and the left ear is making a strange rustling sound, so I guess its time for a new pair. Since Im out of the curve these days on whats new and good Im asking for a little help.

>Budget
No real budget limit but Im not willing to spend 1000$ on something thats going to break easily (thinking maybe 500$)
>Location
Europe
>Source
External DAC and Objective2 AMP
>Type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Has to be comfortable for long time use
>Sound signature
Im used to neutral but I wouldnt mind trying something different but no major differences
>Past headphones
Sennheiser 558 and AKG K712 pro

thanks.

>spending $1000 instead of just fixing the headphone
why is that?

Maybe its time to try some Beyers, look into DT880 Premium 600 ohm.

you can post with a timestamp later and it really wouldn't change anything. I'm replying to you because you think posting without a timestamp is proof of anything and it has nothing to do with me believing you or not

Have you run out of things to say so you're just repeating yourself now? How boring.

how many times do I have to repeat yourself before you understand a simple concept?

Ive got way too much money

Sweet thanks, was thinking about Beyers but are they not all closed?

How many times do you plan on shitposting?

I have one of the Beyer DT's and I'm trying to dissassemble it to check the driver for hairs/fibers but there's this glued cover on the cover and I'm scared to remove it/peel it.

What do? is it fine if you peel it?

cover ontop of the driver membrace*

youtube.com/watch?v=7-Fkh3mUqWY

until you say "okay, you're right, I will timestamp later because what I have currently is not adequate proof of anything". it's the principle of it user, you would have been better off not posting those pics at all in the first place.

DT880 is marketed as semi-open but it's a fully open headphone.
There's videos on youtube about it.

Still waiting for you to post pics of your welfare setup.

DT880 is marketed as semi-open but it's a fully ear-raping headphone.

how so?

>I don't like DT880 because the FR has a treble spike but I shill the MA900 which has a massive dip in the FR

double standards