/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Old thread: What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/
vandenoever.info/blog/2017/09/10/time_for_rust_and_qml.html
youtube.com/watch?v=NKmoze-hlXU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

w-what are you working on lads?

Traps are gay

Faggot

unemployed haskell programmer here

getting my bots to send radio and check boxes with the form data

A sensible systems programming language so I can write code for a PDP-11 like a normal person

Trying to make Thread-derailer bot

So the deerposter was you
Smart move making a bot, you'll rake in the Russian and Chinese bitbux in the next election

>a PDP-11
what are you doing with that?

We're 2 different people

Aside from rewriting all my build scripts and C preprocessor directives to use backlashes, how much effort would it take to rewrite a Unix shell utility as a native windows application?
How would I even compile it without installing visual studio?

Newfag to programming, is it possible to organize an array of characters in Java by most occurrences without using a hashmap

I don't really have one [spoiler]yet[/spoiler] but writing programs for constrained environments using constrained languages is how a programmer becomes a man

absolutely, next question

You could use mingw; although I've never ported anything non-trivial to windows.

>code works perfectly well
>port it to other project
>it stops working

>his functions aren't portable

Mods are clearing out the old thread

Avoiding my java homework and hating myself.

Just get it done loser, then you can work on that project you haven't started yet.

..h-how do you know about that project?

Shitty jokes:

Why did the US Government label Haskell programmers of terrorists?
They're non-state actors

hey Sup Forumsuys

I want to learn Java
could you recommend books where I can start? (yes I can google it up myself, but I want to know what you would recommend)

Asking this again because I got ignored last thread. How big of a red flag is it having Sup Forums projects in a github portfolio? Employers will be seeing this and I don't want to get trashed because of the association with autists

If your portfolio isn't exclusively filled with big stuffy CRUD enterprise quality applications, you get your resume thrown in the trash.
Not even if they're hard to make, like a whole game without big do everything libraries like unity or game guru.

Is it a bad sign that I'm not even getting rejection emails / phone calls? I've applied to roughly ~30 positions, without a single response, negative or positive.

Learning the Apollo Graphql client & server.

Let me guess, you got interviewed a couple times and didn't send thank you notes?

You're supposed to call in ~3 days after to "inquire about the status of your application". HR are lazy cunts who have zero initiative.

What's the consensus on return 0;?

arbitrary returns is brainlet-tier

You're not wearing a Faraday cage around your brain, are you?

It's pretty common practice to auto-redirect 99 out of 100 emails to /dev/null because HR is a bullshit containment department where you dump the diversity hires and they can't be bothered to vet applicants on any grounds other than "this guy doesn't creep me out".

Are you only sending your application to companies with job postings?

Instead, find a list of businesses in your area that you COULD work at, find their email address and just send your CV with a cover letter. I'm talking 300+ companies. Shotgun method.

What ends up happening is that someone will be looking at their deadlines or know that such and such is leaving or is a huge PITA and going to be replaced soon anyway and then suddenly your CV lands in their lap like manna from heaven. THAT, my friend, is how you get a job.

Or you get ignored by 300 companies and they hire some middle managers cousin and give him an interview as a formality.

Remember, if you don't get a job offer during the interview, there's almost zero chance you will be considered later.
Dont get your hopes up and assume they said no for all intents and purposes.

Pretty much every job I've gotten was by "cold call". It fucking works, man. Yeah, nepotism will always be a thing and HR departments are always the shittiest part of any company, but maximizing your exposure is extremely effective.

If I don't know how many values I will need to store in a vector, what is the best way of dynamically increasing it as new values come in (C++)?

Even if it's a status return?

sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/

>Remember, if you don't get a job offer during the interview, there's almost zero chance you will be considered later.
I've never gotten a job offer during an interview, and I usually get the job.

std::vector automatically increases, doesn't it?

Yes, it's not 1990 anymore.
No one wants to debug contextless numbers. Even if we know what 0 and 1 implicitly mean. Give human-readable return messages. And don't write your program with the intention that things might go wrong.

I've had a couple companies ask me "how soon" I could start working, because they basically wanted me in the next day. Most of those were fucking Mickey Mouse operations, though, and I was expected to unfuck projects that were already weeks late without knowing any of the company's proprietary software, standards (like naming conventions), manufacturing capabilities, etc. One of them was adamant I *NOT* contact the client to get information that I *NEEDED* to be able to create the model because they thought it would make them look bad to actually deliver something well made. I quit after two days from that place because I knew it would drive at least one of us to murder and/or suicide if we continued to work together.

a little pocket sniffer, and perhaps WEP crack

No user, did you not understand my post? It's like I don't even exist, I'm applying to these positions and then I hear absolutely nothing. No rejection, no thanks for applying email, nothing.

I always
return EXIT_SUCCESS;

Have you guys heard of this new programming language called forth? Apparently it is some pretty crazy stuff. You can use reverse polish notation in order to manage pushdown stacks and it gives you a super high level experience with very low technical specifications required. That's where my money's on.

Will try this. Does having a personal website help as well? I'm thinking of putting a link to my github on there, as well as my resume, and a little about me. Do employers even look at the github?

Sup nigs, anyone know of any autist friendly programming jobs? Those normie HR folks sure are good at weeding us out. Its like they can read people's minds!

If you can't at least pretend to be normal for a 30 minute face-to-face meeting, I don't want you working at my company.
Low-functioning social retards like you can go starve for all I care.

I see this argument thrown over and over
>your code is bad because it's hard to read and I can't understand it right away at my codemonkey job

This is how you know you're dealing with joyless automatons who shit out CRUD boilerplate garbage 8 hours a day every day.
Don't make any attempt to placate them, they want to inherit easy to understand codebases when you inevitably get laid off.

>use better tools for the job
>WOWWWWWWWWWW WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?
nani?

what the hell does "bindless" mean?

Sure. Especially if you're putting web design on your CV, might as well make it a webpage. Bonus points for using that for email. Much more professional than a gmail or something.

It means you provide an identifier to reference an object directly instead of binding it to some global state type and then running commands on the currently referenced object of that type.

Are you using opengl?

This is something I've been wondering about for a while. What's a real coding job like? How do new people just come in and take over large projects with millions of lines of code? If you were hired on the spot because everyone else left, what's the first thing you would do? I open source files from things like Linux and GCC and try to read them. Every typedef, struct, constant, or macro follows through a trail of headers including headers including headers 3 layers deep in another directory somewhere and that doesn't even begin to tell you how the function you're reading fits into the bigger picture. I don't know how these open source hobbyists just say "Oh I think I want to be a developer for my favorite distro now" and just start... developing. With hobbyists you have the luxury of taking as much time as you want or only working on things that interest you but in business you don't have time to get up to speed on millions of lines of code.

I'm quite incredulous that faggots like you have the nerve to even try to justify yourselves. But you are right, human sympathy has its limits.

>and just start... developing.
They pick components that are reasonable to a single person. Rust actually does do a good thing with how they enforce new contributors do something in servo. And maintain "entry" level tickets. for them.

GUI for Rust? Looking for a library I can use to create a graphical environment, listen for user input, etc...

Sorry, Rust is a command line only language until it adds garbage collection

People like this homosexual literally think they are god. Apparently doing something not beneficial to them (like demanding fair wages) is some kind of evil. Go starve, right?

Protip to other people here who want to weed out like minded sociopaths in their place of work: There are certain questions pertaining to moral truths that if they are confronted with they cannot say anything contrary to what they believe. For example, a politically correct question one could ask is "what is the difference between a human being and a computer". If they don't answer something reasonable then show them the door right away.

I have a Katawa Shoujo fan game and a Sup Forums client in my repository, but nobody has ever said anything. They're on like page 2 or 3 of my repository list, so nobody probably goes there.

gtk-rs and Piston. Also, KDE is adopting a rust-qt implementation.
vandenoever.info/blog/2017/09/10/time_for_rust_and_qml.html

>what is the difference between a human being and a computer
ok, I'll bite, what is the proper way to answer this without looking like an autist?

isnt it RAII? Thus no garbage?

Anything that shows you aren't a sociopath. Example: computers are machines and people are living beings

Garbage collection is necessary for GUI programming, RIAA won't work

>Want to pursue a masters, possibly PhD
>Have no specific research thesis interest
>Am going to be doomed to RA positions at my garbage tier state uni forever
Please save me from this fresh hell

I'm not sure what kind of social retard answers you're expecting.

Could you describe some?

So this... is the power of Sup Forums

"People are machines too, just of inferior construction".
Perhaps a better one would be "what is the difference between a video game and reality".

You seem to have created an imaginary boogeyman based on memes, people like this don't actually exist, and if they do, they have enough self-awareness not to say stupid fedora-tippy shit like this.

What's the correct answer for your new question?

Rope data structure, where is the most simplified tutorial about it? Wikipedia is not good at explaining to the point.

Sociopaths certainly do exist, though they tend to learn from a young age how to fake empathy, unless they are both sociopathic AND autistic.

then explain how there are GUI libraries for Rust?

Why do you care if someone is a sociopath?
Are they unable to function normally if they are?

Suppose the reality we are living in were some sort of simulation. The gods of this reality would have to tell you there is no difference a video game and reality, right?

Leaks are considered memory safe

And why is this answer disconcerting?
I'm not even sure what point the first user was trying to make.

They could be spies sent to sabotage your business. You might see them do things like make false accusations of sexual harassment, purposefully sabotage the product such as by leaving hidden security vulnerabilities that their friends in Russia then find out about, in HR roles they would hire their friends and turn away the qualified candidates, they might steal secrets, etc etc.
You might not think it were this easy to weed them out but it really is.
Call me crazy but I think there is a difference between a game and real life. That Vegas shooter for example sure got an all time high score didn't he?

Everything you described happens ALL THE TIME and I'm sure HR tries their best to hire only highly personable applicants.
You can't weed out nepotism when you rely on nepotism to do the hiring to begin with.

I should probably point out I'm not the guy saying you should ask questions to root them out in interviews, and I do think sociopaths have a role to play in society, but I can understand not wanting to have some on your company.

Let's say you broke an arm and you have to type one-handed for a couple months, lowering your overall work efficiency.

Non-sociopathic manager: "Oh gee. Are you all right? Is there anything I can do to help while it heals?"
vs
Sociopathic manager: "Fuck, now you won't be able to meet your deadlines and that negatively impacts ME!"

Now, you very well could find a sociopath who has learned that by taking care of the people around them, even if they don't explicitly care about their well being, that they end up being more productive and more likely to give them what they want when they want it, but they're still the kind of person who will throw you to the curb for something even if it is no fault of your own and/or temporary and/or morally wrong to do so.

dude imgui lmao

Oh now you're trying to pretend this is normal? I'm incredulous.
>Highly personable applicants
Personable to me isn't trying to put on a façade to trick people so you can spy on them.

Protip to anyone looking for a job anywhere in North America: If your handshake is shit, people WILL turn you down, even if you are otherwise the best applicant.

There is bad karma to hiring people who really should be in prison and paying them salaries while they sabotage your business, you're rewarding bad behavior. But these people are very good at pretending to be like normal people, SJWs for instance.
Is this some kind of homosexual secret thing?

What is a good handshake?
Am I supposed to grab their hand and squeeze hard?

A suplex is a good start

A limp handshake shows disinterest.
You want the web of your thumb to be directly against the web of their thumb (DO NOT JUST GRAB THEIR FINGERS!). Hold firmly, but not so hard that it grinds their bones together and then lightly motion your hand up (maybe half an inch) and then down again about the same distance.

youtube.com/watch?v=NKmoze-hlXU

I would like to fuck a trap at least once before I die

i'm not familiar with GUI programming— why does RAII not work?

MtF's are typically fucking insane, fair warning.

I don't consider transsexual women to be traps.

grab hard and don't let go, got it

The way you are describing it makes it sound like some kind of gay sex maneuver. Are they trying to assess how it would be like to screw you over?

You don't want it to last too long, either. You should be able to gauge based on the firmness of their handshake. Once they start to loosen theirs, loosen yours.

If the employer doesn't have a firm handshake despite being from a culture that places importance on it, you probably don't have the job.

Fact: some hiring managers will extend you a job offer if you offer a little something something under the table.
It's not really a homosexual thing, it's a display of dominance and power.

Hey, if you don't want to learn the body language used in North America because you're overly self-conscious about sexuality, then you deserve being turned down for having a shit handshake.

And, for what it's worth, a good handshake is seen as manly, whereas the floppy shit I told you to avoid is seen as exactly what you seem to be avoiding.