/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
&& /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikisource.org/wiki/Functional_Package_Management_with_Guix/Build_expressions_and_package_descriptions
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Install GuixSD

Install GuixSD with USE flags, because I'm too dim to understand how any of this works.

What would be the easiest way for me to sort my music files into nested directories with corresponing filenames based on their metadata?

What's wrong with Guix being implemented with USE flags? That would be awesome

You deserve to be euthanized.

Ah I see what you mean -- I'm not sure. I tried it when it had its own desktop environment once, but it was actually pretty bad. Most notably, it didn't have proper notifications while using Skype. It would open and maximize Skype each and every time I got a message, no matter what. It was annoying, and interfered with my work tremendously.

>newlines EOF as posix standard
Who thought this was a good idea? I spend an hour trying to hash a string and wondering why it was wrong only to find out that editors, commands like echo, and bash builtins like string-literals

en.wikisource.org/wiki/Functional_Package_Management_with_Guix/Build_expressions_and_package_descriptions
???

Still waiting for you to give us even the slightest bit of insight into this supposed knowledge you have.

Or is this charades? Are you acting butthurt for no reason as some sort of clue or something? What fun.

You can't debate stupid.

Yeah, what's your point?

I'm just waiting for one of you to actually say why you think Guix or Nix couldn't have USE flags, because I know it'll be so full of misconceptions my sides will be launched into orbit.
But I'm sure it'll remain a mystery.

Isn't that what you're describing?

I don't really understand any of this, to be honest.

Sure but that's all manual. There's no reason each package couldn't specify triggers to enable/disable configurations without the user having to write all that code.

It could be as simple as instead of adding "package" to your list of packages you'd just add something like (package (cons* X gtk %default-use-flags)) or something.

Why does "mpv file1.wav -o file2.wav" increase length (1 sec) and bitrate of output file? Original file is 0:0.558 sec and 88 kbps. Ouput is 0:01.486 and 176 kbps.

I wish /fglt/ were a school, so that I could shoot it up.

magic

Bad thing. I want to convert over9000 wav files with his --af filter.

I use musicbrainz picard to do scrape metadata and sort my music in that fashion but I imagine most tagging programs can achieve the same or similar.

Friendly reminder that Linux is not licensed under the GPL v3 and is, therefore, non-free.

Friendly reminder to fuck off retard.

Linux is the desktop version of Android.

Linux is the portable version of the WSL, developed by the Microsoft project.

Might have to do with the default encoding settings? Also could be mpv encoder calculates time differently than whatever the source uses.

It's GPLv2 so it's still free. The main difference between v2 and v3 is that v3 has a provision saying if you distribute GPLv3 software preinstalled on a hardware device then you have to provide a way for the user to switch software on the device.

>taking the bait

Linux is an independent operating system, developed by Linus Torvalds.

Gentoomen, I am trying to bake a cake. It is exactly 1:50AM over here, and it turns out that I don't have any vanilla extract, even though I'm half way through the cooking process. Should I break into my neighbors house through their unlocked bathroom window and steal a bottle of their vanilla extract, or should I order some from Amazon?

You could go to a store.

Actually, Linux is an operating system that's only functional because of the GNU kernel, which Linux was ported to, so, to give even credit, you should call it Linux/GNU, or, as I've taken to calling it, Linux plus GNU.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. While Android is Android, it is not Linux (it just uses Linux), while the WSL emulates Linux, it's not Linux (it's just GNU), what you refer to the operating system developed by Linus Torvalds is actually the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

That's not an option.

If your neighbors are awake you could ask if you could have some vanilla extract.

What you're referring to as Android, Linux, GNU and WSL is actually Unix, developed by Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie, Brian Kernighan, Douglas McIlroy, and Joe Ossanna at Bell Labs.

They don't talk to me.

Just adblock the damn thing already.

I'd just like to interject, what you're calling "Unix" is actually macOS, developed by Apple.

Have you tried knocking?

Non of these options are ethical.

The botnet wants me to ruin my cake :(

>steal
Just ask if they want to share.

As defined by the Open Group.

I don't think you understand. I legally can't talk to them.

What did you do?

I'd just like to interject, what you're refering to as "macOS" is actually BSD, developed by the BSD project.

I don't wanna talk about it.

Do you have other neighbors?

When will the monolithic kernel meme end? IMHO it's not only more secure but also more efficient to have drivers run in user space instead of full-privileges kernel space.

The moment microkernels become easy to debug.

Does it really matter when the driver is free software?

what is the best pdf viewer (inclusive epub!)

Depends on what you want.

just read the fucking books, no need for library, converting, notes, whatever, just a reader that supports pdf and epub

MuPDF is pretty good but it doesn't do epub. FBreader does epub.

Mupdf or the frontend zathura.

My mupdf supports epub.
>DESCRIPTION
> MuPDF is a document viewer that can show PDF, XPS, EPUB, XHTML, CBZ, and various image formats such as PNG, JPEG, GIF, and TIFF.

Didn't think it supported epub. Thanks for letting me know!

holy shit cd burning in linux is such dogshit. I literally had to use 3 different programs, one being foobar2000 in wine, just to burn a fucking gapless audio cd. Holy. FUCKING. SHIT.

Looking at the arch wiki, the gapless audio cd should be no problem. But wait, apparently fucking cdrdao doesn't know what to do with the 48000khz files that lame spits out from the decoding process. And since lame can't fucking resample while decoding, I had to use fucking foobar2000 to do that shit. Oh ya, and of course then I had to use xfburn just to know if all of the files were actually going to fit on the cd.

GG linux.

You wouldn't have these problems if you'd installed Gentoo like told.

>still using proprietary CD drivers
Lmaoing @ ur life
Why cant you make an iso and the dd?

>I don't always use Linux, but when I do, I use it to run Windows programs

Cool story.

and now cdrdao is burning at fucking 4x. AHAHAHAHH

at this point torvalds really should take a break and rethink his life goals
i mean, when you even can't write a simple cd burning program,there's no hope left

Be sure to come back and tell us your experiences trying to reinstall windows

I can't I only have a chromebook

Sell it, buy a thinkpad and install Gentoo on it.

He would probably get, like, $50 for a Chromebook

Thanks.

no thanks id rather use hardware made in the last century

Enjoy your botnet.

np

>more efficient to have drivers run in user space
That is rather optimistic. No realistic large software project is going to have such a clean separation of concerns that syscalls wouldn't be a prohibitive cost.
Just another case of people choosing convenience over idealism.

So I just de-GNOME-ified my desktop.

Man, this is nice.

tell it to your rabbi

but I'm not jewish

Next step is to de-Poettering-ify your desktop

I'm not sure I'm ready to dive into the systemd-less void

I fear straying from the known mainstream distros (I use Debian Sid) in favor of some fork that might get abandoned soon and doesn't have the same seal of quality as the original

(see Devuan vs Debian)

i think you should de-GNU/Linux-ify your systemd operating system, goyim

>0000
fugg

>0000
I bet the NSA, CIA, and FBI did this

I use Ubuntu 16.04 and the default window manager.

I have "sticky edges" turned off but my system still works as if it is turned on.
What can I do against it g?

> pic related

I'm looking for alternatives with no systemd. Not because of the dumb "NSA" meme that's not true on any level but because of the fact it's bloated, anti-unix and being standardized. Which ones would you guys recommend? I've been eyeing PCLinuxOS and Void Linux lately.

What does "sticky edges" do? If you mean WIndow Snapping, is there a possibility the Window Manager has a Window Snapping option somewhere that's enabled?

I am runnning void on my laptop and i really like it

I want my bash aliases to either expand out on the command line, or echo the full real command after pressing enter. possible? how do?

Gentoo is good if you don't mind compiling.

>it took him an hour to suspect that
You dumb.

you could try out one of the *BSDs

>And since lame can't fucking resample
It can, but you're a retard who can't read.

nvm. found it: Ctrl-Alt-e

Beet is a cli tool that does exactly this

>888
You sure aren't!

I don't know where you found that, but it's not mentioned in the official documentation (even though it makes sense).

And what if it's "encoding only"? How does that affect you? Why are you using Lame or encoding to MP3 again? Why do you want to manually resample it if it's going onto an audio CD? I don't know which program you're using it, but I'm pretty sure that the program burning the audio CD will do that, because it's the standard for audio CDs.

The problem is that it is encoding only, meaning no decoding which is what I want it for.

It means that windows snap to the edges when they get close to them and it is "hard" to remove them from the edges.

I've used Gentoo and I don't want to compile everything.

I watch Netflix and use Spotify.

How's the software availability?