Hi Sup Forums. I've recently been getting more interested in encryption and becoming as anonymous as possible...

Hi Sup Forums. I've recently been getting more interested in encryption and becoming as anonymous as possible. I know tor is a solid step in the right direction but I'm curious as to what the more technologically minded among you think of Tails OS

Is it secure?
Is it difficult to use?
Is it practical at all for casual use?

Other urls found in this thread:

tails.boum.org/about/index.en.html
tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/shutdown/index.en.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Kind of interesting how it's a portable USB OS

no
no
no

Tails uses SystemD and nonfree packages so it cant be secure.
I recomend using 'Heads' instead

tails.boum.org/about/index.en.html

Checked
I've read the about page and it mostly sounds good but of course if I were writing my own about page I'd make my program sound good as well. Also it doesn't go super deep into what you can and can't do

If there are specific short term things you need to get done then you should use Tails. If you use Tails but then elicit trackable browsing patterns and make extensive use of the persistent storage, you might as well use a traditional distro with Tor browser.

If you're looking for a daily driver, I would recommend whonix

Thank's. I'll definitely look more into whonix
From what I've read briefly it seem like whonix is best for securing your IP but not as easy to access for techno illiterate fags like me

Have you ever used a Linux distro before?

I've heard of Linux distro and have had some experience with Linux in general at work but overall I'm a full on Windows fag. I've only recently realized windows isn't as secure as Linux

Even more checked.

Operate under the philosophy that no system is secure and you'll do fine in life

Wipe your current OS and install openbsd

reported to the FBI, NSA and RIAA

>had to search what RIAA was

As I understand it, the whole idea of Tails is to not leave traces on your system so there's no forensic evidence on your system.

So ideally you take a laptop, live boot tails, sit at a free WiFi are without cameras and submit some leak. Then someone comes, takes your laptop, doesn't find anything and can't prove shit.

Please don't say you work in IT.

I'm not even from india, don't worry

They wouldn't even know it's posted from your laptop. Even better, if you post something on Tor they wouldn't even know what IP it came from unless you enable JavaScript or do something equally retarded.

qube OS, and call it a fucking day

Theoretically, yes.

It's difficult to know nowadays. Some people say that the TLAs control a lot of entry nodes and therefore could trace back your real IP.

I'm not sure if this isn't just a "fear, uncertainty and doubt" tactic to discredit Tor, as I haven't seen any evidence for that claim yet. But it's better to be safe than sorry, so personally I wouldn't use Tor from your home IP.

Layered defense, my man.

Agreed

From now on I use Tor as my main browser. I am looking for ways to be more secure however, not for anything scechy, but for general use if I need to do something company related etc

explain the tcp/ip model

No tor is a honey pot browser made by the us navy, nothing with tor or that os will help you be secure.

>I know tor is a solid step in the right direction
The right direction to your cell block maybe.

During your research on the matter of privacy and security you got flagged by any agency able to look into your online activities. Also, tails is NSA/systemd'd so consider your system breached and monitored.

People are putting far too much trust in Tor. It will be the downfall of many.

tor just gives a heads up to the govt agencies who have installed their little black boxes in each isp and vpn as to who to look out for. you will stick out like a dogs nuts.

This.
The days of Tor are over. Perhaps something new will come along in a few years and kick off a new way in online privacy, just as Tor did in the beginning, but now a Tor node is a target, even if innocent, their thought pattern is 'innocent people don't pass through Tor'

underage detected. anyone who was alive before music streaming became the norm knows about riaa

0. Start with laundered bitcoins in your second wallet (that isn't tied to your identity).
1. Install Tails, Debian, Kali - basically whatever OS lets you boot from an image on USB without saving your session - onto an 8GB or larger flash drive.
2. Go to a random PC in a public place that sees lots of random internet traffic. Do not use this PC to access bookface or some dumb shit.
3. Shut down this PC.
4. Plug in the flash drive.
5. Start the PC, go into BIOS, and tell it to boot from USB.
6. Start your OS.
7. Download Tor Bundle.
8. Turn off JavaScript and shit.
9. Go to your desired onion market, log in, and make your transaction(s) using PGP every message, with a key you generated - do not let the site auto-gen it.
10. Shut down and restart the PC. Go back into BIOS and set it to how it was and remove your flash drive.
11. ???
12. Chemicals in your mailbox.

>This is what you're really asking for, right?

>Is it secure?
it hasn't been audited
>Is it difficult to use?
no clue, probably yes if you have to ask
>Is it practical at all for casual use?
that's what it's intended for

tails as a concept is interesting but that's about it. install OpenBSD, it does basically the same things just better

There is no point in using Tails unless you have a liberated computer. The management engine in Intel and AMD has control of Tails. When you realize this, you'll probably need to buy a Libreboot computer or forget about privacy preservation altogether.

I doubt the management engine can see what sites you visit or your activities upon said sites.

ME let's any remote connection have full access to any hardware on the system. this includes sniffing ethernet, dumping ram, etc

Wouldn't strict IP tables stop that from happening? Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding IP table defaults on tails.

you misunderstand what ME does.

Care to inform?

no?! if you want to know more about it educated yourself, you seem pretty uninformed and i'm not your mommy to spoonfeed you

>educated yourself
I'm actually glad you chose not to, since you are still learning English.

Install heads (yes, that is how is called), is a more secure version

This is somewhat related question.
How does TAILS shutdown itself when it detect that the LiveUSB has been unplugged?

still routes all traffic through tor and thus will draw attention to you (see )

why do people even use tor browser?
how the fuck can you trust something with such a massive code base as firefox, especially if you don't compile it yourself?
for all you know, the reason tor browser is """officially recommended""" is because it has spyware built in and in reality, you might be safer with just regular firefox
why not use w3m or links to browse hidden services through tor, since you won't be using javascript anyway?

and using a whole fucking os that you cannot possibly audit in your lifetime for shady stuff just because it's """recommended""" by someone who's probably an undercover agent is beyond retarded in my opinion
if you can't configure gentoo to use tor for everything and spoof your mac address by yourself, you deserve to get caught

oh did i hurt booboo's feelings? gtfo kid, if you aren't willing to learn out of your own interest you will not achieve anything. you are the cancer that's killing Sup Forums now go shitpost in a desktop thread

When I grow up, I want to be you.

lol, gentoo, is that meme still going?

It is pretty funny that all you autists think NSA is going to unleash supur hax to get your loli stash, the mass surveillance operations already have ALL your information, hacking isn't required

>plug in tails
>boot
>the OS and core components run in RAM
>any other software you open loads from the USB into RAM when open (hence slow loading times at first)
>suddenly unplug the drive
>Tails still runs because it's loaded into RAM, but you can't open other software since it must be loaded from the flash drive
That's basically how it works. It only "shuts down" when you shut down your PC since it loads into RAM just like other live boot distros. But it should eventually crash when it tries to load something from storage since you don't have infinite RAM and not everything loads into it immediately.

ME and AMT operate below the kernel. They also can (and have) hijacked network connections before. They also have full access to the main memory of your machine. So iptables is irrelevant.

What laptops would be unaffected by this? I guess just old ones with i2 or i1 processor?

Nope.
Tails have a way to detect when the USB flash drive is removed.
tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/shutdown/index.en.html

So what does it do? Shut down automatically?

see

Yes.
e.g. in an emergency where you don't have time to shutdown, just unplug the USB flash drive or eject DVD.
And the system will go into shutdown with RAM erasure.

So how do you do that?

how effective should this be against cold boot attacks? i figure not much

Just install qubeos on a spare computer. It comes with with whonix preconfigured.

this
Obviously CP and drugs are not major concern(s) of NSA. What they track is a 'real threat' to the nation like terrorists, spies.

>the absolute state of unixggers
Lmao

Tails has protection against cold boot attacks.