Xperia Omnibalance appreciation thread

Why has no other manufacturer made the effort to make their phones feel good in landscape mode?

Other urls found in this thread:

androidguys.com/2017/09/15/rumor-sony-finally-moving-on-from-omnibalance-to-bezel-less-in-early-2018/
ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation VR Teardown/69341
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>thick bezel
No

Sony's an asshole company but they sure know how to make good phones. To this day i haven't seen any other manufacturer that just gives you bootloader unlock codes for your phone right on their website.

This.

They're an amazing company desu.

The chinks at Xiaomi kind of do the same by giving you access to an official BL unlocking utility, though you have to get yourself approved to be able to unlock.

You're still better off not using official root and using exploits instead, so you can keep your drm keys and warranty.

Not gonna last long unfortunately.
androidguys.com/2017/09/15/rumor-sony-finally-moving-on-from-omnibalance-to-bezel-less-in-early-2018/

If Sony made a phone based off the Z5 design with a better screen and a bezel-less design it would be the last phone I'd ever own.

There was a tool that lets you backup your TA partition with the DRM stuff in it in case you want to return everything to a "factory" state.

At least it's something. I've tried to unlock Huaweis and it's pretty much begging to deaf ears on some abandoned forum or email address...

I’m confused. How are they assholes then?

They're assholes in other departments, like the scandal in 2005 where they hid rootkits in their CDs

You don't belong here, nor in this world.

Fucking this.
I don't know why those fags don't like omnibalance, they seem to like all those fucking round corners.

Motorola had a similar unlock thing, not sure if they still do thought.

Xperia mobile isn't pure blood Japanese company anyway, and therefore much less bullshit.

I hate Xiaomi.
Apart from the fact that I had to make an account on their botnet and link it to my phone, I had spent an entire day trying to get the unlock code for my rn3p. Apparently they block requests outside of China and give an obscure error. By the time I found a good proxy I already tried too many times so I had to wait a day to retry.
I then proceeded to use an unofficial method to flash twrp and installed a custom ROM and everything is better.

Anyone knows of an app that autoswitches the voiceinput to the second mic. but leaves the output as it should be?

Why?
I have a Z1 with the a broken 1st mic.

Take it to a repairshop.
Yea its €70,- But i have a Z5 so im looking for other options and this will be the last one.

Write that app yourself.
I know a little freeBasic and some C++, so i can't

>>Anyone knows of an app that autoswitches the voiceinput to the second mic. but leaves the output as it should be?
While calling ofc.

have the same issue on my Galaxy S4

>tfw Sony phones are never on Sprint.

I have tried a lot of apps now but haven't found any.
Already started a free java android course so i can write it myself.
Meh

My temporary solution is to put the call on the speaker, which should technically allow both mics to record voice instead of primrary, but sinceprimary is borked I can use the secondary mic that way.

Isn't the mic just attached with a flex cable? You should be able to replace it yourself for less than 5$...

Yes it is, costs even less than 5 over here.

But searching for how to's gets me to very sloppy explanations en pictures

iirc z1,2 has similar internal structure, just watch the z2 disassembly video.
iirc again, the mic has some strong glue under it, don't be afraid to apply a little bit of force to remove it.

Great phones but terrible temperatures, if not IP68 the temp may be lower but the phone will lost the pro.

the fact that sony phones aren't marketed in America fucking baffles me. There's no excuse for their superior phones not to be top sellers like LG and Samsung

Sharp corners, giant bezels, no amoled, no wireless charging, water resistance has been iffy. Supposedly they are finally changing design which would be good.

Too bad the what's new app will be bugging you every ten seconds

>AMOLED
If Sony sticks their own RGB OLED screens in their next phone, I will buy it, but I am not buying pentile garbage.

nip nops made sony
and anime
what has the west done now again?

>what has the west done now again?
Made the Internet.

>Sony sticks their own RGB OLED screens in their next phone
You are THIS delusional. They don't make OLED outside of pro-level mastering monitors.

And animation in general.

(You)
Who makes the RGB OLED screens for PSVR then?

Their marketing in the UK is very shy too.
I bought my first xperia back in 2012 or 13. Only found out about it because the salesman at my provider (O2) recommended it so I guess at that point Sony was paying O2 to promote their phone. Whenever I went back there to make an upgrade, they never recommended it anymore, in fact I had to insist on upgrading to an XZ because the seller kept shilling Samsung phones. I can only assume the paid promotion ended. And as far as I know other networks don't shill the Xperia either.

Anyone got numbers on their sales? Are Sony phones profitable for the company outside their Japanese operations? It really worries me that in the future Sony could stop selling it in the UK market due to poor numbers.

Forgive me but wtf is omnibalance?

wtf is google?

The phones design is based around comfortable use in both orientations

Motorola does that and better than Sony IMO

Sony only allows factory unlocked phones to have their bootloader unlocked, if you bought it at ANY carrier you're SOL

Motorola allows any phone no matter where bought from, unless it's from Verizon or AT&T

ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation VR Teardown/69341
Samsung you dumbass

Additionally, do remember that Samsung did make RGB OLED at one point. They just stopped because subpixel degradation wasn't uniform with that design.

i lovey ou, Sony

There is literally nothing wrong with sharp corners and giant bezels.

@62964947
Weak bait. Doesn't even deserve a (You).

whats that noose for a cat look at that thing

>Sharp corners

I bet you are one of those reviewers that complain that phones dig into your palm and hurt.

I love my Z5, the camera is garbage, but everything else is top notch.

fastboot oem unlock lolol

what the fuck is this shitpost

Sony mobile is surprisingly making profit -very little amount of it, but profit nonetheless- so it will probably stay.

where is my fucking oreo update for XA Sony? I am a sonyfag but if they keep doing this, i may switch to nokia. I just can't buy the overpriced flagships just to receive regular updates.

Still rocking the Z3 I got almost 2 and a half years ago. The battery life is still solid, the overall speed of the phone hasn't taken a hit at all and it's a durable mother fucker considering how many times I've dropped it. Hands down best phone I've ever had, though it's a shame how bleak it's looking for the Xperia division at current. Just hoping the new "Mirai" phones are just as phenomenal because I'll be the first to buy one.

as long as they keep the headphone jack, they can do whatever they want. I don't really care about "muh screen to body ratio"

But that's more of an amerifat problem and most likely the fault of the carriers there...

I can't see Sony ditching the headphone jack, they've always had that audio processing feature where the phone can recognise the model of headphones plugged in and manual sound effects options

>Buying a phone with Mediakek processor
>Expect updates (if ever)

Not even once

>omnibalance
Didn't know this was a thing. Neat.

>Why has no other manufacturer made the effort to make their phones feel good in landscape mode?
They probably do, they just don't give fancy names to their design.

XA got the nougat update though. I don't think it's a mediatek thing as Z5(SD810) is also not on the oreo update list but XA1 is(also a mediatek phone)

Having used an xperia E4G for the past 2 years this hits close to home

More phones need a camera button

HTC does that.

Isn't the only SD810 phone that will get updated to Oreo is the Nexus 6P? (and we know the hardware quality of that phone is basically a shitshow now)

have no idea, but Z5 deserves an oreo update I think.

The only OEM so far that cares about battery life, pushing updates to flagships and mid-ranges. headphone jack, mSD slot, near stock Android and front facing stereo speakers forever. Thiccc phones without ugly camera bumps and the only Android OEM with a monstrous compact flagship.

And the fingerprint placement is super comfy. Literally the only things that I don't like are their cameras and their audio which are really low quality.

bezels are GOAT tier and trendfollowing cumguzzlers cannot convince me otherwise (not to say that oversize bezels aren't annoying on portable devices)