/pcbg/ - PC Building General

logicalincrements.com/
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, try to include information like response time, refresh rate, resolution, and size

CPUs:
>G4560/G4600 or A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds without a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>i3 8100 - Better budget CPU, but wait for cheaper motherboards, only coffee lake cpu in steady stock
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (8400) or multithreaded/general (1600) use CPUs, The 8400 is having stock issues and the platform cost is more than that of the 1600 so keep that in mind
>R7 1700 / i7 8700k - Currently the best mainstream chips both companies have to offer. Note: 1700x/1800x is basically the same as 1700 when OCed, and 8700k is out of stock pretty much everywhere.
>Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4Gb 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match, Vega 56 if you can get it for under $450
1440p
>GTX 1070 / 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
>1080Ti

General:
>Consider a 240GB or larger SSD.
>Consider a Wireless Network Adapter, either 2.4 or 5GHz

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Photoshop
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/kMmgVY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have a pretty pricey PC that has a locked mobo and CPU, because I am still learning about overclocking. I was wondering if someone could come up with a very cheap unlocked build to practice on. I have a spare monitor ready to use also.

that picture is unsatisfactory

anyway what is the point of the upcoming 1070ti?

Can Wraith Spire handle a 1700 overclocked to 4.0GHz with RAM clocked to 3200MHz or should I buy a separate CPU cooler? Never overclocked before.

Either to further secure market shares
or find some use for lower-binned chips that ends up between 1070 and 1080

4x8GB DIMMs or 2x16GB?

I think quad channel has higher bandwidth however I want to possibly add more ram in the future

Is there a GPU equivalent of this pic?

Used Sandy Bridge build perhaps? What do 2500Ks go for these days even?

Hope you aren't on Ryzen because the ram speed shits itself on quad channel.

How does RAM even relate to CPU cooling

It's pretty much the same. You wanna keep your video card under 90 MAX. 80s is fine under heavy load though 50-75ish is best.

ram boosting can significantly affect CPU temps

90 max for GPU is a meme
My reference 5970 ran at 92C idle/99C load for over 6 years (at least 60 hours per week)

I think because you would need to overclock the RAM on the motherboard to get it to run at the speed it was designed for.

This.

A lot of people have their cards in the low 100s for hours on end and modern cards can take it better. Just be sure to regularly clean your shit.

That one's a good choice.

Does anyone have any vesa mount suggestions? i need one that supports a single 32" monitor. All the ones i can find only support up to 27". I know they mount the same but whether or not they'll support the weight and torque is another question. Alternatively does anyone know of any stands that mount via vesa, are good enough for a 32" and have full swivel? Ideally I'd try to steal one of a predator or a benq cad one.

This kid has a better rig than you.

>got a ryzen 5 1600 because of Sup Forums
>actually really happy with my purchase

thanks lads

Need a new gpu for 1080p@60Hz at ultra, my Cpu is an i5 4670k
1060 6GB, 580 4GB or 580 8GB?
Which model of which card should I buy?

All of those won't cut it at Ultra

My Gtx1080 gets only ~80fps in 1080p running GTA V with everything but virtual supersampling turned on

Just get what you are comfortable with

i love how it gets more photoshopped as time goes on.

Sup Forumss never failed me. only thing i regret is NOT buying a sansa clip before they became impossible to get

>photoshopped
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Photoshop

as i typed it this was a thought i had. it has more impact in this thread. I am aware youre a bot however. photoshopped

Do you unironically use gentoo aswell?

GTX 1080 and Ryzen 7 1700 are enough for 144hz 1440p gaming at ultra settings right? Or should I just wait a few months for Coffee Lake to be in stock again?

I'm building a desktop that I want to use Ubuntu on. Gonna use it mostly to play Dota 2.

RX580 8GB or GTX1060 6GB?

You should wait for Ryzen+ and then decide between that and Covfefe

Fuck off with your shitty general nigger.
>using the /r/ sticky image
doublenigger

No u

No u

no but i use fedora and debian on a regular basis, and lubuntu on my laptop

wait for zen refresh, its going to launch at the same time coffee lake actually launches

either, get a good cpu though

No u

Going for Ryzen 5 1600. I know both GPUs are good enough for dota, but i wanna know whether I will overpay too much buying RX580 8GB

depends if youre doing other stuff as well. the 580 is a better card, especially outside of gaming but the price right now is still stupid. id get the 580 personally, but thats mainly because id actually utilise the 8gb of gddr5

which graphics card to buy if I want gaymin at 1440p, already have a 1050ti

Drown in a sea of horse cocks

DILDOS ARE TECHNOLOGY YOU FUCKING HETEROSEXUAL

>motherboard arrives
>isn't in a brown cardboard box
>just came in the product box with marker written on it & a huge shipping sticker
what the fuck? Is this normal?

DAS RITE

1070 but its a bad time to buy

dildora

What's CPU is recommended for x265 encoding?

wanna upgrade my pc, how does this look? (gaming mostly)

Pretty bad to tell you the truth.

What's bad about it?

I wouldn't get a 7700k at this point. Also that 1070 you bought is super lame if you have an ATX case. Should have spent the $40 or whatever to get a real 1070, not a toy one.

I'd recommend an ssd, but since you already have the os partition in your hdd, I unironically recommend intel's optane memory. take your pick of 16, 32, or 64(?) go. rare cases since not everyone has a z board

Not user, but theres a multitude of things:
>no upgrade path from i7-7700K
>cooling that housefire with a Hyper 212
>no SSD
>Pascal GPU at the end of its cycle is arguable

Thats just the first look

1950x

>7700K
why?
>1070
I got it for 200 euros though, otherwise I'd have gotten a normal one.

Does the 8700K Need delidding like the 7700K did?

>why?

mate

If I get a z370 board and 8400, will I be safe for the next wave? Or will I have to upgrade my mb again? This is the only thing pushing me towards amd right now.

Absolutely terrible.

because zen+ and 8th gen are right now

yes. man i love how retarded people are. they dont seem to consider it an issue that it needs to be delidded. I just dont get it.

who knows? no one. 270 boards lasted so long, hey?

yes, asus said there are extra 40 unused pins in z370 and they speculate that it is for the next gen 8 core cpu

Does anyone know if the TR4 socket will last as long as AM4, i.e til 2020ish?

should I buy a r5 1600 or the i5 8400? This is going to be a workstation pc more than anything, also is there any build templates I can use? I'm looking to spend around £800

yes, it will last for zen 2

1600 for workstation. but what is """""""""""work""""""""""?

Noctua coolers still the best option for a Threadripper? Went ahead and bought a NH-U12S to hold me off until other options pop up.

is it normal that nvidia gib free gaymes? wtf i already got 2 free gaymes
coming from r9 390

yes, does tr have any other air coolers that arent shit?

everyone does. my 7970 came with farcry 3, bioshock infinite and tomb raider

Actually the 8700K doesn't spike as badly as the 7700K did.

it still gets 20 degrees cooler after you delid it

Daily reminder that PC building is a shit tier hobby reserved only for manchildren

Pic related, it's a PC builder at work

Can you faggots please just fuck off to

But you don't NEED to because the temps don't fluctuate as crazily. Can be kept under control with a decent cooler.

i agree, on that note networking is the real fun, but no one actually needs a shitty over engineered home network

>>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards
Why's that? The cheapest 1050Ti costs 40% more than the cheapest RX 560 but doesn't seem to deliver 40% more performance consistently.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/kMmgVY

Good for 3K?

It used to, then miners became a thing.

What's the best sub $300 monitor available? Is it more worth it to get one with 1440p or with 144hz?

1070ti or vega 56

>G4560/G4600

What is considered the best bang for buck ATX mobo for a Ryzen R5 1600(X)? I am not interested in overclocking or aesthetics.

I won't have a use for Crossfire/SLI either.

that graph is for intelfags

it should be anything 50 or over is hot and anything 60 or over is housefire

>day one issues
UMA

RETURN IT AND GET A 8400 GOYIM REEEEEEEEEEE

read that post again

I'm looking to buy a b350 mobo for my ryzen build and I'm between msi tomahawk and gigabyte ab 350 gaming 3 any suggestions?

Why is the 1 fan version so much more expensive? Would the 2 fan version be a better purchase?

Paying for form factor. Yes the dual is better.

When will SSD price finally drop?

>$385
>$385 for a medium tier graphics card

they've already dropped ten fold. how poor are you

2H 2018. Same with RAM.

When people stop buying a new smartphone every two years.

>GPUs:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
Is it a good time to buy GPU now that ETH has forked and BTC fork is around the corner?

If you are close to the border just go on a road trip to burgerland and buy one.

I live right on the border but with the exchange rate it's not a huge saving.

The ETH fork actually made things more profitable for miners. 570 and 580 prices are already going up again.

should I get this machine?

First time working with PCs so forgive me if this shit is retarded

Mobo, cpu and ram replacement arrived, CPU cooler was a bitch to install but eventually I got it in and most of the mobo shit is in as well, however now I have a problem.

I have three of pic related, two of which are labeled USB and one which is apparently used to power a front panel SD card reader

As far as I can tell my mobo (AB350 gaming 3) only has 2 USB 2.0 connectors and 1 3.0

am I just fucked and unable to plug one of the three in without buying an adapter?

What's even stranger is that my case has a 3.0 port on the front but as far as I can tell no USB3.0 pin header

if (you) don't enjoy building your own, then save yourself some trouble and buy it

>ryzen 3
>gaming pc
HAHAHAHAH

>1060 3gb
>$750
oh now I'm laffin

Where do you buy legit Windows 10 LTSB keys?