/tpg/: ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended freedom models:
xx00 series, IBM xx0 series
Check libreboot.org for details.

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely avaiable, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0

T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replacable CPUs, IPS displays avaiable, chiclet
P-series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive
----
Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/>field

ThinkPad BIOS splash screen collection:
biosimage.booru.org/index.php

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.de/itm/Notebook-IBM-Thnkpad-365XD-portatile-vintage-originale-anni-90-perfetto/122750947278
imgur.com/a/HPvAq
hgst.com/products/hard-drives/travelstar-7k1000
ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-IBM-THINKPAD-701C-ICONIC-BUTTERFLY-/253208847276?hash=item3af46c63ac:g:r7sAAOSwrWZZ4rpj
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> Mom and her loli daughter

Sneed.

I've already got a x220 but I've got the itch for a upgrade. Any suggestions? Is the x230 with a classic keyboard mod any good?

What thinkpad to buy for my 12yo daughter? Asking for a friend.

T420 w/ SSD

macbook so her classmates don't make fun of her.
You don't want her to end up browsing r9k on a thinkpad running gentoo user

This, non ironically

Too good to be true?

Want a 13" 1080p laptop and looking at this.

Just get an HP stream at that point.
Don't they make 1080p screens on them? Plus you'll get a new, unmolested machine and I'm pretty sure it runs linux well

I was thinking about installing arch for her. That's okay I guess?? Arch works perfectly fine for me, so this should be enough for my daughter

How are HP these days?
I've been keeping well away from them since they chose to hide the 'insert' key in the BIOS.

> HP stream
SUPER MEGA SHIT.

I'll never forget the day I missed out on a w700ds on ebay for $300
NEVER

Repeating my question, if I update bios and change splash screen, how can I undo/replace it after that? The bios will be already updated.

Got my screws today!
Plus the internal battery.

Only waiting on three things now.
Ribbon cable for trackpad, hard drive caddy and of course the dreaded Chinese shipping time for the lcd.

>300
How the fuck
>I was thinking about installing arch for her
RIP. Confirmed to be autist outcast in highschool

>RIP. Confirmed to be autist outcast in highschool
Why? Sup Forums said we are in the year of the linux desktop so I thought this might be great for her to bring in some diversity and make new friends

What are you at now, like 600 bucks?

Don't forget it's only diversity if everybody's differences are skin deep. I mean how do you expect us to tolerate people with different opinions and mindsets, sheesh op.

yeah, we adopted her from afrika. I am indian and my waifu (male) is japanese. We are a really cute family ^_^

>Google
Holy mother of Frankenstein, just what is that monstrosity. And why do I want it.

I have important issue and I hope you can help me guys. I have old X220, I really enjoy it's portability and build quality. It has served me well for almost 2 years, even though I didn't always treat him right. I dropped my bag with it inside several times, i used it in rain, and one time it fell from my desk. Despite all those misadventures it works great and is very pleasant to use. Thing is the hardware isn't that new and its performance sometimes is not the best, especially when I try to use it for activities that serve my entertainment. I think I need a new one, and so i came here with question: what is the best thinkpad for gayming?

$500

Thinkpads are probably too heavy for a 12yo girl though

I read all that just to get memed.

>> Mom and her shota son

she is really strong (prolly got it from my waifu) :D

I once had a T42à, it's a piece of shit. overheating problems even after reaplieing thermal paste and aircleaning of the heatsink. If she's not gonna game get a t400, cheap good battery life and it aint gonna break

WHY

Because I fell for the Thinkpad meme.

Hi /tpg/, I was interested in a smol thinkpad and made a bid on this: ebay.de/itm/Notebook-IBM-Thnkpad-365XD-portatile-vintage-originale-anni-90-perfetto/122750947278
I checked later the specs, and found that it's 10+ inches, so if you're interested you can steal it from me

I saw a W701ds for $250 BIN once. You don't even fucking know.

What's the oldest thickbads that can handle 16gb of ram?

Seriously this, anything else and she'll grow up fucking random hobos just to piss you off

What is a 240 subnotebook worth?

I want a cuter thinkpad.

T. X60s faggot

>tfw my niece wants an iPad for school

Even a MacBook would be more appropriate.

How laggy does that thing get

fine by me, humiliation and corruption are my fetishes

>linux with lightweight WM
probably not that laggy

"""for school""". She probably just wants it to play games and watch YouTube

i dunno but i have a 240x for sale

The T420 definitely can handle it.

The T410 and T400 are officially only able to recognize up to 8GB RAM, but I'm not sure if there are any workarounds for that.

How much, there im thinking of trading stuff for it and I'm wondering what I should offer? I have 2 x61s, one trannybooted, and a cwd4001.

It's just a normal 240
Not at all really, it is really snappy. I just use it for web browsing and notes.

>tablet for actual work
STOP
Only acceptable compromise is a used Surface running proper Windows.

My response got jarbled. There is some fag in town that I might be able to trade with. I don't mind parting with 2 of my x61s, one tranny booted, and one cwd 4001 what do you think would be a fair trade.

It's rather hard to find and expensive usually, we can't give you a price as there aren't that many on the market but it's still not worth anyways. X60s is one of the greatest ThinkPads btw
xx20 series iirc
there is no libreboot support for X61 iirc

STOP MAKING ME WANT ONE OF THESE
I ALREADY HAVE A T60 BUT THE NO TRACKPAD LOOK IS SO NICE

X220 with stock 1366x768 TN LCD here, should I upgrade to 1366x768 IPS($50) or 1080p IPS with the mod($130)?

My x61 has a x60 motherboard. Also the x60s is a hackjob between a x61 and a x60s it is also librebooted.

I'd be parting with the x60.
The x60s is nice desu, I wouldn't mind having a t60 though

just get one to satisfy your autism, i bought a x61t to draw benises

What is trackpad

useless gay shit normies use

Average battery life?

What is the better option: a Lenovo HD+ screen oder the Alienware HD+ screen for my T420?

>What is the better option: a Lenovo HD+ screen oder the Alienware HD+ screen for my T420?
alienware is almost IPS like soo

Excellent. Thank you, kind user.

Depends.
X60 gets 3 to 4 hours with the 8 cell
X60 gets 1.5 to 2 hours on chink 4 cell
X60s gets 2 to 3 hours on chink 4 cell

The Linux thinks the chink cell is 2000mah.

I bought a x60 slim 4 cell new to see if I can get any better.

Also their all limited to 1ghz on battery power.

How much do i7-4700MQ and i7-4800MQ's usually go for? Making sure I don't overpay

The Linux, god damn it. Grammar isn't my thing.

no problemo
here is a comparison for ya also
imgur.com/a/HPvAq

What's the difference between T and W series?

Woah there, people really judge you by things this superfluous in america?

W series has a stronger dedicated GPU, and better cooling to handle it. W520 and W530 have four RAM slots on quadcore CPU models.

Bullying and peer pressure are not exclusive to America

T-series are basic notebooks with advanced features, especially changable CPUs. Avaiable in 14" and 15".
W-series are mobile workstations with proper work-grade GPUs and they're higher specced out of the box but more expensive
yes they do
fuck capitalism

>fuck capitalism
>>>/fglt/

>imgur.com/a/HPvAq
Nice.

Is this widely available?

haven't followed /tpg/ in a while, what are you up to?

crashing this plane

w-with no survivors?!

I just bought an x220. Probably going to get an MSATA SSD but as far as the 2.5 slot, can I fit any SSD?

>put ssd in my x220
>upgrade ram to 8gb
>install win10pro
>noiseless, fast, comfy machine with endless battery time
why is it so perfect?

Why is the right side of my trackpad on my T420 magnetic?!

Is their CPU replaceable?

Up to the W541, yes. Intel stopped making socketed mobile CPUs after that.

I know the feel, just got mine

>64GB cheap chinese SSD
>4GB ram
>Xubuntu
Its so fucking fast and has lasted for 4 hours without charge so far

Is Ubuntu budgie a good just werks distro to install on my gf's t430? I hate gnome and budgie looks comfy.

Just got my X60 librebooted, works, but the damn GRUB screen won't show up. What to do? Haven't found anything similar yet.

>Its so fucking fast and has lasted for 4 hours without charge so far
i had fedora xfce on it first but it felt redundant since if've got the same setup on my desktop machine, so i've installed windows on it to use some work related software and holy shit, windows got really nice. i'm doing almost 9h of battery and that's a 6 year old machine i've got second hand!

If the average notebook buyer knew they could get something like this for 120 quid, they would probably all get snapped up super fast

hgst.com/products/hard-drives/travelstar-7k1000
For my x201. Will it be good?

thanks user

got mine for 200 eurobucks with the i5, two batteries and the dock on top. installed a 120gb msata ssd for windows, 8gb ram, a total of about 350 euros. best techdeal of my life so far.

Mine is coming Friday. Hyped as fuck

you won't regret it.

Its just laziness, they just want to go to walmart/bestbuy, get whatever they have for less than $500 or a macbook, replace it every 2-3 years and call it a day. Its a shame so many computers get thrown out because they're "too slow." just stop downloading shit and get a damn ssd.

>tfw no transnote

Thinking of getting a Thinkpad 13.
Can the memory in it be upgraded?

x220 ?

Is getting an used Thinkpad for the same price of a current low end laptop worth it?

9cell ?

It will be faster and not a piece of shit, so yeah.

yeah

Me ?
It's the pad on top of left and right click ?

why tho

Official ?

ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-IBM-THINKPAD-701C-ICONIC-BUTTERFLY-/253208847276?hash=item3af46c63ac:g:r7sAAOSwrWZZ4rpj

Boy if I could get a 9cell for my T420s. The machine costed only like 200 bucks (including the RAM upgrade and charger I bought separately), but sadly the battery only died when I got it. For the price it's the best laptop I've owned. The meme was right.

hopefully not
yeah. 2520m