HAPPENING TOMORROW

Are you ready for THE Linux release of the year, boys?

Ubuntu 17.10, one of the most exciting releases in recent times, goes live tomorrow

Revolutionary replacement of X Window System with WAYLAND

And back to GNOME3 - ditched Unity

And MANY more exciting features

Where will YOU be when Ubuntu marks the beginning of the YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/NVIDIA/egl-wayland
youtube.com/watch?v=lpl6SO_zKls
linuxforcynics.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/understandingdebian.png
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I really don't see the problem of moving the responsibility from the xorg/wayland server to the compositor. You'll still get your minimalist wayland compositor, suckless will definitely make one.

I will be jest over there

On red dit

Where people type like this

I'll still use the best DE, Xfce.

>GNOME 3

Good news: I no longer have burning curry-diarrhoea
Bad news: I now have sand-paper dry pellet shit.

>screen tearing
>best

Wayland still does not work at all if you use proprietary aka 'real' GPU drivers. Its shot and it always will be shit. Before Wayland becomes usable someone will figure out that we "need" a new, "modern" replacement for Wayland and this shot will start over again. In the meantime Xserver will rule as it should.

Compton

Works nice for my Intel HD

>using ANY other brand of CPU/GPU
>2017

It's not waylands fault nvidia and AMD want to be kikes and not support wayland

It will never work with noVidya. Buy AMD and/or Intel

Gently reminder that user oriented design are made to works with a good part of the targeted audience, not with you. (pic related)
Don't mess your workflow by using the default settings and feel free to install a truly customizable DE (pic unrelated)

>Where will YOU be when Ubuntu marks the beginning of the YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP?

>beginning of the year
The year is almost over dipshit. Linux isn't based on some shit like the chinese or middle eastern or fuck-knows what calendar.

meme

I have been waiting for this moment since unity came out.

I already switched back to windows, good riddance to GNOME3 trash.

kill yourself my man

the target audience was conceived of by people with literal autism, and does not actually exist. if they did, they would prefer something more similar to windows.

>You need to spend hours after installing it fixing things like not being able to install anything other that packages from the cd
>It looks like shit unless you install mate
>It randomly doesn't let you log in and returns you to the log in screen after introducing the right pass
>Randomly fucks up the permissions of external drives making things impossible to delete or rename even when the mountpoint and drive permissions are set to 777
No thanks Ubuntu never again

>GNOME3.342351 and KDE 42131 are both shite

DEs were a mistake. The only good ones left are XFCE and MATE, and only because they're so "behind" the main two.

It's so good bro. I'm gonna install it on a new desktop. I disliked Unity

not sure if Gnome3 is any better these days? I only tried it right after it came out

if I won't like it, I'll try Ubuntu Budgie 17.10. right now my favorite DE is XFCE but I want to try Budgie and Gnome3

>In will never work with noVidya
github.com/NVIDIA/egl-wayland
That said it's still shitty, at least right now

Does anyone hate their end-users more than gnome devs?

NVIDIA has always been shitty with drivers, doesn't matter xorg or wayland.

Only niggers and latinos (like me) use Ubuntu

What about qt latinas?

I waited month for it. Gonna wait 3-7 days though before installing.

>Where will YOU be when Ubuntu marks the beginning of the YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP?

I will be nowhere you Red Hat/GNOME shill.

Ubuntu ditching Unity for the worse DE in existence is literally the anti-thesis of the pursuit of the Linux desktop.

Friendly reminder that this is what Ubuntu could have become instead of the featureless, soulless, hostile GNOME.

youtube.com/watch?v=lpl6SO_zKls

Then just use any other DE, you baka

You still don't fit in her, we know youre actually from there and trying your hardest but you failed. Now kys back there

>qt latinas
>qt

They use KDE

ready to try it on virtualbox, bring it canonical.

Unity 8 is ded.

?

I've seen cute latina girls and KDE is a good DE compared to GNOME.

>MATE
>good
It's literally a GNOME skin at this point. And it serves no purpose.

It's card dependent. Their official drivers, although a pain to install, perform just as well as they do on windows for all cards I've used. At least on debian distros.

Aryan men use Debian with Budgie

it's not a bug - it's a feature.
Xfce tries to be very lightweight out of the box so it could easily run on a toaster. To fix screen tearing you need to additionally install only one package and literally uncheck only one box to disable native composing. It's not that hard to do.

It looks like you're new here, user replying to me. I joined about five years ago so I still feel a little new, but looks like you're fresh off the boat.

Disregard the rest of this message if you're looking for an argument; I'm leaving the thread after this. But if you're looking for an education, carry on.

What do you hope to accomplish?
Spacing is pleasing to the eyes in general. The problem lies within your own head that you want to make it a bad thing. Why?
Are you that concerned with others?
user, that's not a healthy way to live. Happiness comes from within you, and the moment you stop allowing yourself to be triggered by blank space, you can start becoming happy.

user, it'd be an easy guess you're on a path to suicide. Many people with your mindset are. It's not a bad choice, but there's better. It's your choice. For it to be a bad choice you must acknowledge that good and bad exists. But Good and bad does not exist, merely our perception that is then perpetuated by expectations.

Once you stop expecting harm to come to others insinuating they come from another degenerate website, you can stop following the path to suicide.

So, what do you choose user?

I'll upgrade my old laptop to give it a try. Won't touch it on my work laptop unless I know I don't have to spend hours tweaking it to be not shit.

I believe there's a global menu which is good but I doubt it's as good as Unity's. The huge header bars are probably the biggest turnoff and to my knowledge there's no fix.

Ubuntu: bloated shit
Gnome: literally the worst de although Gnome has made more than a few good utility programs (which Ubuntu already uses)

Why are people excited for this?

Downloaded the nightly a couple days ago. It's less impressive than Unity was to look at, although less buggy.

What about KDE it has some good features and I've never had trouble with it. Although it only having 2 desktops could be annoying for a very select group of people

Tomorrow is the end of gnu plus linux desktop

Didn't you have the option of gnome and unity in the last one?

But gnome is so much faster with switching windows. Just throw the mouse up to the top left corner and have them all on screen. Windows can't even make a functional file explorer.

OP you just reinforced my theory that ubuntu users are a bunch of retarded noob fags, on my 15 years of being a GNU/Linux user have never touched ubuntu you just gave me a big reason to not do it .

>proprietary aka 'real'

maybe related. why the fuck does gnome need to chance settings on a fucking webpage?

who fucking needs shit like gnome when openbox is all what I need
>Only window titles takes some space
>everything loads almost instantanously
>I load everything using the keyboard

who fucking needs a task bar?, is useless.

>you need to spend hours after installing it getring rid of the crapware windows forces you to use and getting rid of eavesdropping cortona means ripping the file explorer out.
>It looks like shit because they have a hard on for tablets.
>windows account security is a joke.
>pain in the ass to get permissions to use your own computer because windows thinks you're too retarded to not delete system32
Windows never again

People will say "normies", but "normies" don't use Linux and I wish Linux devs would stop trying to attract them.

>GNOME

Trashed

so set it based on the hardware detected, at least thats how non autismo OS do it

>Ubuntu: bloated shit
That's where you show that you know shit. Ubuntu is as bloated as you making it to be. Ever heard of netinstall or mini isos?
>Gnome: literally the worst de
I'm a Xfce guy myself but pretty sure that GNOME's workflow is very decent and compared to MATE and KDE it actually doesn't look amateurish.
>Why are people excited for this?
It's a new version of the most easy to use distro where packages are actually tested. There is a reason why Ubuntu is getting more and more popular in Enterprise field everyday.

Minimal Ubuntu is smaller than minimal Arch.

>not an LTS release
>not relevant
>moving on

Debian called, it wants it's outdated packages back

Winbabby here
Windows 10 is getting so fucking anoying and shit, honestly getting buggier by they day, I'm thinking of making the jump to Ubuntu. Gonna try it first on a spare laptop (mom's old one, that ironically Windows 10 also fucked up on. Nothing wrong with the actual hardware, not even the HDD which I replaced some months before it died. Just the Windows install itself.).

Here's my question:
>Should I wait until tomorrow and do 17.10?
>Or should I just do 16.04 LTS now?
>Or should I wait 6 more months and do 18.04 LTS?

What exactly happens when you use the latest normal release instead of LTS? Like, what happens after the 6 months and the new one is released? Does it automatically become deprecated, do I have to back everything up and install the latest OS by scratch? Does it not get security updates? halp

>>>/sqt/

linuxforcynics.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/understandingdebian.png

It's relevant to this thread. Plus /sqt/ is where questions go to die. I'm not falling for your Jewish tricks, m80.

just wait until tomorrow

I am actually amazed that even distros like Mint or Xubuntu itself still haven't implemented such a normie friendly feature.
Nah, the only good Debian is a stable one (Stretch is an amazing dumpster fire,though, but this is an another topic). Testing is for testing and t's not really rolling, it's freezing. And unstable is...well, unstable, it's a good place to test packages for Ubuntu, though.

You can upgrade between releases but unlike with other distros Ubuntu has a pretty high chance to fuck something up. IMO if you need to install something today, make it the few days old dev prerelease rather than 16.04.

run from GNU/Linux while you still can. My computing life was so much easier before I've learned about FOSS.

>winbaby
Install ZorinOS Lite (basically Xubuntu with a Winbaby friendly theme), then install Compton (to fix screen tearing, look up a tutorial on yt). You'll be fine.
Avoid anything based on GNOME. If you want a buntu then go for Xubuntu or Kubuntu.

ubuntu mate doesn't have this problem

>gnome 3
Absolutely disgusting.

>kubuntu
*KDE Neon

Ok let me simplify the question. Let's say we're 6 months in the future. Should I get 18.04 or 18.04 LTS? Does the regular one suddenly become a deprecated unsecured liability every 6 months? I don't want to install an OS every 6 months.

I kind of went through that phase a few years ago, then realised it was autistic and went back to Microsoft and Google.

But now I'm not driven by privacy or freedum concerns. It's that Windows 10 is literally being a pain in the ass, and I'm sure it's only gonna get worse.
>Google Drive sync using 15% CPU all of a sudden for no reason, have to close then open it again
>almost every day Windows starts running botnet processes in the background (antimalware executable someething, or windows module installer, or something similar), spiking CPU, making my laptop emergency shut down. I've had to gimp the CPU to 50% in power settings just to avoid that.
>Doesn't recognize DVD at first. DVD drive stays 'off', even though the disc spins for a bit. Have to put in the DVD, then restart the computer, THEN it acknowledges it
>Recently, sometimes I'm running out of RAM (tbas have to reload), even though 4GB should be enough for a normie like me, I'm not using tons of programs/tabs. Some in Chrome, some in Firefox, a LibreOffice doc, VLC and maybe Notepad. Fucking bullshit man.

Honestly, Windows 10 doesn't JUST WERK for me any more.

Wait for 17.10

Dont do this , windows wannabe distros usually give more problems than what they are worth, and since their community is much smaller common issues get much harder to solve compared to "big" distros.
Also, stop thinking Loonix>Windows, they both have their pros and cons, if possible start by dual booting and see if thats your thing.

will 17.10 feature another LTS?

Too late mate, THE Linux release of the year happened already in June, it's called Debian Stretch.

I'm really happy about this change! Unity was the thing that made me ditch Ubuntu in favor of other distros back in the day, and I switched back to it only last year when a friend showed me Ubuntu Gnome and I found it pretty cool.

I guess Ubuntu can only benefit from having Gnome 3 as it's default DE, as it's way more attractive aesthetically and customizable.

I don't really know about Wayland though, if someone could tell me what changes from X it would be nice.

Anyway, I think when the next LTS comes out it will finally be time I buy a new SSD and start using Linux on my desktop without VMs too.

Or is using non-LTS versions fine too in your opinion? In the end I've had lots of issues with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on my laptop too, maybe it's not that stabler than the ordinary releases.

18.04 will be LTS, like 20.04 and 22.04

I guess they'll fix it in time for 18:04 LTS

>t. never used KDE Neon
Ignore this retard. KDE Neon is the most unstable KDE experience you can get. And unless you want to be a beta tester and have 2 crashes per week don't use Neon.

>t. never used any Linux other than Ubuntu
Don't listen to this guy either. Windows wannabe distros are based on ubuntu/debian. Any guide targeted towards Ubuntu or debian will work 100%, and anything DE dependent will be the same across distros of any base.
So, Zorin is just as good as Xubuntu with the exception of a better welcoming UI when you come from windows.

They use Windows or Mac generally. Unless they have a geeky bro who handled them Ubuntu and they punctually break it making him curse to fix it.

Stop projecting
Also, nice shilling

I still wait for linux mint 18.3.

I've used Neon for six months now without any issues desu.

Ok I googled it and got my answer. I think I'll wait 6 more months, then go for 18.04.
That will give me time to plan the switch. Software alternatives, what to do about my password protected WD My Passport external drive that obviously wont work on Linux, etc etc. Thanks lads.

its more stable that any other distro
u just a retards who tried the unstable edition

>nice shilling
>shilling for FOSS
?

Im using KDE Neon right now and it is not very stable. Still probably more stable than Kubuntu.

c-c-crowd-sourcing?

what;s the purpose of Wayland in the first place? This just seems like another case of making something just because you feel like it and not because it's necessary i.e. SystemD and PulseAudio.

I caught an early version of it when one of the Linux magazines I used to read had a demo of it and how to set it up back in 2009 or 2010 or something like that. Shit took 7-8 years before it became usable/stable enough for a distro to make it a default? And I can't use it with either my Nvidia or AMD GPU's?

Nah b, I'll pass. Stick to what works.

Very much unlike systemd and pulseaudio, Wayland is much, much simpler than it's predecessor.

This is the story of Linux in its entirety for the last 10 years. What was wrong with GNOME 2 and KDE 3 in terms of functionality?

Wayland needed to be made, X11 and Xorg was a clusterfuck with years of ducktape patches that would require an entire rewrite just to fix it. There was even a print server for X at one point, it was practically an operating system

someone needs to fork twm and add EWMH and shit like that

Gnome has increasingly become more and more shit, but apart from a few rough edges, KDE has seen steady improvements.

Go a head and install 16.04 lts (lts stand for long time service) so u get those security patch, also new version normally come with lot of bugs and shit to fix

It was a problem of their own making. Adding more and more things that don't need to be added, then taking them away but not really, then putting something else in. Again, it all stems from not being able to leave things alone.

So we're going to go back to square one, only this time with something totally new so we have to solve problems that we never used to deal with.

Couldn't care less. I'm on Debian + xfce and haven't looked back

KDE is still usable because it's willing to remain a desktop DE that is build around a precision manipulation device (i.e. a mouse), rather than GNOME wanting to be some halfway house between desktop and tablet. Gnome is basically Windows 8.

>(((GNOME)))
Call me back when you have a proper file picker.
This.

What's wrong with Cinnamon?

it depends on gnome, and gnome devs are autist

It looks like you're new here, user replying to me. I joined about five years ag
o so I still feel a little new, but looks like you're fresh off the boat. Disreg
ard the rest of this message if you're looking for an argument; I'm leaving the
thread after this. But if you're looking for an education, carry on. What do you
hope to accomplish? Spacing is pleasing to the eyes in general. The problem lie
s within your own head that you want to make it a bad thing. Why? Are you that c
oncerned with others? user, that's not a healthy way to live. Happiness comes fr
om within you, and the moment you stop allowing yourself to be triggered by blan
k space, you can start becoming happy. user, it'd be an easy guess you're on a p
ath to suicide. Many people with your mindset are. It's not a bad choice, but th
ere's better. It's your choice. For it to be a bad choice you must acknowledge t
hat good and bad exists. But Good and bad does not exist, merely our perception
that is then perpetuated by expectations. Once you stop expecting harm to come t
o others insinuating they come from another degenerate website, you can stop fol
lowing the path to suicide. So, what do you choose user?