UMPCs

Sup Sup Forums, I'm a huge faggot/normie/meme/whatever the fuck you say around here, and I don't visit often. But I fucking love UMPCs, and managed to just miss the last thread.

I noticed that nobody mentioned the two shown in this poorly cropped picture. What do you intelli/g/ent people think? Are there any other UMPCs that might work as a phone hybrid? Would you even consider a phone with a physical keyboard to be a UMPC?

Other urls found in this thread:

sony.jp/ProductsPark/Consumer/PCOM/Pdf/pcg-gt3k.pdf
minipcdb.com/articles/HiGOLE-Gole1-Plus-review
youtube.com/watch?v=8KM26eayVTo
neo900.org/
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1847296
youtube.com/watch?v=F32vDhsO5dE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm excited as fuck about the pyra, but I don't think I will ever be able to justify buying one. I love the project and philosophy, though.

It will be interesting to follow along any progress with its phone functionality. I guess there will be a cli solution for rudimentary phone/sms support pretty soon and an ugly GUI version shortly after.

But anything with a nice ux will probably take a while

You're probably right,but I saw there are some plans to get it running Replicant, and that sounds pretty neat

UMPC Thread? Better pop in some UMPC from the past I collect and fix for over a decade. They're more now after this pic was taken which I will take when I got them in and fix up.

Fuck, that sliding Viao is sexy. How's it hold up?

>Sony VGN-UX 380CN

It's holding up fine for the most part. In Vista OS which is what it was install originally from the previous owner.

Whether it's useful for today use it depend on what you're trying to use it and if you install Window or Linux OS.

Did use it a bit for few months and don't really like the keyboard layout on it.

Consider to buying a bigger battery but found out it cost an arm and leg if you going for the bigger battery. Might consider to import it from Japan but have few issue on import battery oversea (unless you ship it under boat).

Do post more questions if you have any...

Do you get much use out of any of them? Or is it more just a collection?
What's your favorite?

>Do you get much use out of any of them? Or is it more just a collection?
It's now more as a collection as stuff I need to get job done won't work as well on this old UMPC. I do try to fix them when I can and might buy UMPC which isn't working and try to fix the internal but this get very sketchy quickly depend on if they ever release in North America or only in Japan.

The only UMPC I might use more often (as in once a while) might be the one of the earliest UMPC I collect which is the one on the top of the sliding Vaio (Sony VGN-U71P). The only real reason I am using it is coming down to the a Japanese software and this is only work with Window XP. Other than that, I don't tend to use any of my UMPC.

>What's your favorite?
I guess the Sony VGN-U71P and the OQO Model 02.

Gemini looks like a potentially promising GNU/Linux phone, but if it's another shitshow of binary blobs and badly patched kernels, it's useless.

Bump with one of my UMPC unit, Sony Vaio PCG-GT3/K

What was the marketing behind that bulky-ass camcorder strapped to the side?

I need a small UMPC to use for SSH (via WiFi ans if possible Ethernet too) and serial. The cheaper and smaller, the better. What do you suggest?

They aren't UMPCs.

I loved the project and philosophy of the OpenPandora. Pyra has been a shitfest from the start though.
An autistic transvestite trying to cash in from the time he worked with the OpenPandora team, promises and ridiculous arguments, while he literally buys his food for the money people "preorder" the device though.
Not to mention, the hardware is fuck out of shit date and the "lego" approach is ruined by the limitations of the design.

For new stuff it depends on the typing experience you want, IMO. If you've got some of the parts laying around, a portable pi build might be the cheapest, but aside from that, I'd guess the Pocket C.H.I.P. is the cheapest at around $70 US, but the "keyboard" is just button switches on the PCB. You could 3D print something a bit better for it though. A Pandora or GPD Pocket would have a better typing keyboard, but those are a bit pricier.
Maybe consider an older device, like the Zipit Z2, if you don't mind some lower specs, those can go for around $30, plus somewere unde $10 for a new battery.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm curious about your reasoning.

Quite a few things. It can be used it as a webcam (very odd based on how the camera is focus at), record video like a camcorder at 640x480, personal casting, camera. You found some info on the link below ( it's Japanese)
sony.jp/ProductsPark/Consumer/PCOM/Pdf/pcg-gt3k.pdf

Why? What would you actually do with these?

>UMPC
Ultra-MobilePeeeCeeeeeeee, as in PC Compatible
It was a standard coined by Microsoft and Intel

What you are doing right now.
Shitpost. Can't have any more valid argument then that, especially when asking that on Sup Forums.

What would you do with a phone? I'm looking to get away from the candybar formfactor and also not have to type on a touch screen like a fucking pleb.

if you dont like Sup Forums you can get out of here with this retarded UMPshit thread plebbitfag

Handheld device running a real OS
>What would you actually do with these?
Same things I do on any other computer. Browse the web, ssh, watch videos, and play a game here and there.

I love Sup Forums, why else would I use a dedicated portable device with physical keys to post here?

Whats that toshiba one on the right?

Maaaan it took too long to get the pyra finished and now it's so outdated and massively over priced. You can get a jxd s7800b that not only has a capacitive touch screen but it's cheaper and way more powerful.

any handheld UMPCs running windows? I have GPD win wasnt too great when i tried it. cool, but kind of heavy and bulking and dont really spend any time gaymening

GPD Win and Pocket are all you've got for modern devices.

damn, was hoping for a different answer than this, but thanks user. fucking tablets screwing the industry. god damn aplel

>pyra finished
what are you talking about? it's still only preorder with a bunch of 3D printed prototypes

They've got actual molds now, but they're still not out yet. They're doing testing and finshing the software, tweaking the molds, making the fucking 4GB RAM work, all that good shit

what is the name of pic related on the left in OP's post? is it just concept art?

There's a GPD Win 2 on the way that looks promising. It might even be good, unlike the current one.

How's the Win for not gaymen? Can you run Linux on it?

Gemini, from a few of the people who did the Psion. It's on Indiegogo, funded, and is supposed to start shipping to backers in November, and everybody else in December. That picture is a render, but they've got videos of it in action, the prototypes are looking pretty solid

It's for gaymen, wouldn't bother getting it for normal UMPC use.
Though the keyboard is nice for thumb typing when you want something to hold with both hands, unlike many other with full keyboards that you can only type on if it's on a surface.

>It might even be good, unlike the current one.
The current one is good too for the things it's supposed to do, like emulation and older gaymes. It's just not a good UMPC.

>It's for gaymen, wouldn't bother getting it for normal UMPC use.
I know, but it's not like I've got an abundance of choices for modern UMPCs

You can, but it's missing some features, nothing too important. GPD may/may not get Ubuntu on it officially, since they did that for the Pocket, and they're basically the same in terms of specs, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The real problems are with the hardware. They only did Android devices before this, and they thought they could get away with passive cooling until the 11th hour, so that whole system is a dumpster fire. They cut out a speaker for a manually controlled, 2-speed fan, which is tied to the LCD's backlight for power, so if that goes off, so does the fan. And that fucker can get hot even with the fan running. Also the keyboard could be a hell of a lot better, but the Win 2 is already improving that.

>They cut out a speaker for a manually controlled, 2-speed fan, which is tied to the LCD's backlight for power, so if that goes off, so does the fan
Holy shit, guess I'll just stick with my VAIO UX for now.

The current alternative UMPC which run window is the GOLE1 Plus or the previous gen (GOLE1) which is a window/android UMPC. Might be the only current option right now if you don't like GPD. Link below for some impression and spec.

minipcdb.com/articles/HiGOLE-Gole1-Plus-review

That is the TOSHIBA LIBRETTO W100 which is a dual screen UMPC. From using it, it's a great unit to show off how much you can cram new tech into a small side at the time but have very limited use for everyday function.

You need to remember, cell phone isn't smart phone and laptop at the time is actually big in size (I mean very big for the consumer end laptop). Also, tablet (aka: tablet as in iPad NOT tablet as tablet laptop) wasn't big enough for consumer use and if they is one, is very expensive which is only the people who have the cash to buy (aka: not average Joe). They is a demand for a smaller laptop which is very portable for the business user. The UMPC fit this niche market and you can thank the Japanese a bit of it as they produce quite a few of this year before they is a demand in North America.

Unfortunately, the Netbook kill the UMPC and eventually the UMPC become to the tablet/smart phone area which is what consumer is using today.

>so that whole system is a dumpster fire.
>And that fucker can get hot even with the fan running.
Even with turbo enabled, unless you run something that runs all the cores up to at least 50% constantly, it does not really get even hot without the fan being turned off.
With the fan on medium it's perfect for general use and with the fan on max it won't really ever go over 65C max when doing demanding tasks.
Are your experiences based with a early revision? I heard those had heat issues.

>They cut out a speaker
You're making it sound like it has no speaker at all, they it has one speaker

thanks user! fuck this looks pretty awesome and price isnt too bad either

He didn't say they cut out the speaker, he said a speaker, implying there's more than one.

Yeah, I was dumb enough to back it. I got the x8700, but managed to avoid the video driver crashes. I should really check the heatsink, some other people had some insulating plastic sheet between the CPU and the heatsink. Fingers crossed.

your ruining me user. my wallet cant take many more blows like this

Yeah, I feel for you, noticed from the mistakes of others and won't myself get an early unit of something from a small team myself either.
I've heard that it has a layer of plastic too on the CPU heatsink, the second revision has a hole cut out for it and supposedly better thermal paste, you should totally try doing that modification yourself (carefully), I'm sure it will wield in much better temperatures, as much as I have heard from others that have done it, it has helped.

>show off how much you can cram new tech into
I know it's not a UMPC, but your post made me think of this thing. When it came out it was like a mad scientist experiment.

Sorry about this. For something fun (and kinda boring), they is someone who post his entire UMPC collection on YouTube. Link below but be warned, this is a 50 min so, you might get bored. I own few of those units in the video and have to thank this guy for the interesting info about them.

youtube.com/watch?v=8KM26eayVTo

I am not surprise. They will be few companies in the 90s and 2000s are trying to cramp so much tech in a small unit which sound great till you use them. Not only on UMPC but also phone like the one you post. Not saying it's a bad thing but more of liking how those companies try to do this and hoping the consumers will bite it.

Just going to bump this a bit and post another pics something I own in my collection. Pics is Kohjinsha DZ. AKA: A netbook with a dual screen. Not a bad netbook can can see the potential of this unit if they sell it here in North America.

>Not saying it's a bad thing but more of liking how those companies try to do this and hoping the consumers will bite it.
I don't think they planned it to be successful in the general market, more like a niche device for people who where into those.
It was literally like a swiss army knife.

You want to talk about mad sciene experiments, check out the people trying to bring it back

neo900.org/

Seen it, it's a little disappointing specs wise, but I'd still get one if they would release a drop in replacement mainboard for the N900.
More like a boost for the old N900 then a device in it's own right, I would have liked to see a whole new N900 clone, better screen, etc.

Which is why it's interesting to see this then what we got right now in today tech.

wow i haven't seen the OQO in years! I've always wanted to get one.

The GPD Win does remind me of the same idea though, being a ultra niche device, but not that packed as they tried to keep it reasonably priced and made by a small group.
Still, we don't see "innovation" like that for small markets anymore.

Well...can't blame the big tech companies as the niche market is very small and profit margin isn't as big then say, for the big consumer market (aka: average Joe). GPD might be the few who try to target the niche even though it isn't big to start with.

Either way, I love those unusual tech which is why I collect them or fix them.

Getting them is possible but the used market price tend to be high for what I see on Ebay and it isn't as common. Still, I saw one few month ago was sold on a bid of $102 USD which also come with the dock. NOTE: If you still consider getting them, AVOID the 1.6ghz version. I actually own two OQO and my original 1.6ghz have a fault which cause my unit to break after a year. The fault is actually common where the CPU pin might come off the motherboard when you use the unit for a long period of time. It look like the heat is the issue. The other model don't have this issue. Something you might not heard unless you have one.

I loved mine and still do.
Even got as far as getting Wine to work.

1v1 my old collection. Used to be into umpcs. Gpd win is best one. And yes that's mbook se. Fone is fujitsu fo7c, running win 7

oops forgot libretto, albeit its so big its more like a netbook.

I really want a

get gpd win, its amazing

can you coreboot with gpd and use vulkan?

Cool. The Mbook is actually a rebage of Kohjinsha PM for the North American market. A very interesting umpc but the size of the unit make it almost useless for normal use for what I see in video.

The OQO Model 01 is something I am interested still but it's hard to found them and if you do, cost so much that I avoid them. Still looking for it for fun unless you want to sell your.

The fujitsu fo7c is always interest me a bit. A cellphone which use Win7 OS as part of the OS as this is a dual OS unit. Heard it isn't as great then on paper which make sense. Still pipe my interested.

The rest I own them and like them for what they are. I do have other more right now like alternative Sony Picturebook, Sony Vaio PCG-U1 & PCG-U3, and many more. I might post them when I have a chance to take all of them out or when the rest ship out from Japan.

>amd space heater fags

wut?

they are all quite useless, bought all around release except f07c, the gpd win is only useful high end device. And the se is actually different from the kohjinsha as the se had an atom at 1.66ghz

I like the UMPC as a concept, and also the aesthetic.. I would love the VAIO P if it was actually good, but after using a netbook for a few years I realized even that ~8-10" size a little too cramped to actually do anything, be it work or play, for any length of time. I have an x220 and that is imo the perfect size for a small laptop, without sacrificing too much usability

For me, if I'm going to be carrying anything bigger than my phone in my pocket, and I need something more powerful than my phone, with an actual keyboard, then I might as well bring my x220. Anything smaller is not going to so dramatically smaller without having an incredibly cramped keyboard/screen and giving up so many other features of the thinkpad

Well, UMPC fit well during the time where they isn't smart phone, tablet, and netbook. Unfortunately, even in it's day, it isn't blowing your mind except for size. Do you still own your collection or sell them off?

saw this thread and just now pulled those out for pic.

I'm in need of dire assistance. Where do I get a new battery for my GPD Win?

The only seller I found is in China and they wont ship. Nobody will respond to my emails, not even the vendors or GPD.

It's a brick in its current state. Please help point me in the right direction to find one Sup Forums. It was my little buddy.

That sucks, I know people who have ordered straight from China without problems.

The place I found says they cant export lithium batteries by themselves for some reason. It's fine if they're installed in a device, but the battery alone is against some regulation or something. Even if they did it would be 60-90 days before I got one.

Tell me about GNU/Linux on the OQO. I've owned one for two and a half years now and haven't gotten around to installing an OS on it because I want to do it perfectly the first time, but I'm no tech expert.

>I want to do it perfectly the first time, but I'm no tech expert.
That's some retarded shit right here.

>I want to do something perfectly with only theoretical knowledge and no practical experience

What site(s) did they use?

I have no idea, sorry, but I know it sold other GPD parts also.

>That's some retarded shit right here.
Sup Forums brainlet, the solution is called experience acquisition (which isn't much of an option for me), or instructions.

Ask /r/gpdwin/ , unironically. You will probably get help there.

You won't acquire any experience if you say you want to do it perfectly the first time without having any experience in the first place.
Doing something _perfectly_ takes more than instructions. It's like a freaking paradox.

Just mess around with the thing.

It's possible but it won't be as easy. I did try once in my 1st OQO model 02 when I got it (2007) and it didn't go well as plan and stop. You could go to the link below to try

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1847296

I already have they refereed me to two sites. Only one had batteries and it was all in Chinese. The other was in English, but only sold external parts like case sections and joysticks.

Probably one of the sites I mentioned.

No success? I see.

If you order a battery oversea and ship it by boat, then it's fine BUT if you order a battery and ship it by air for example (EMS), then the battery have to connect to a device and it's limited to two battery max. This is someone who order stuff oversea from Japan and this is what I have to go through when order computer parts.

If you wondering, I think it's for situation where they don't want the battery to blow up in a cargo in air than say on the boat.

You selling the OQO Model 01?

Like I say, it's possible but you need to do some tinker work to get it up and running. I for one don't care too much about Linux and don't tend to install them on UMPC as they isn't a point unless you're going to use it and want a very lightweight OS Linux (by then, you have a better use to get an old laptop like ThinkPad X220 if you want small laptop).

For you, no point really.

youtube.com/watch?v=F32vDhsO5dE

I'm getting a win 2 to replace my x220 for my remote work.

>analog sticks on the outside
Dropped.
They fucked it up. I'm disappointed.

What are the names of the sony ones in the top left and middle
Why not just wait for a gpd pocket 2

the gemini is vaporware and the pyra is a piece of overpriced, horrifyingly ugly shit that only exists so autists can jerk off to how "ethical" it is rather than actually use it

Anything worth doing is worth doing wrong.

>normie
The term is "plebeian" or simply "pleb" for short. "Normie" is a middleschool-tier adaptation of the word "plebeian" used exclusively by newfags and children.

>"Normie" is a middleschool-tier adaptation of the word "plebeian" used exclusively by newfags and children.
I thought it was a corruption of the word "normalfag" that came about during the PEEPEEPOOPOO days of /r9k

>normalfag
Yes, which has essentially the same meaning as plebeian. It came into existence as the result of poor English vocabulary.

>muh infamous hacker Sup Forums anonymous legion lingo is srs biz

>muh infamous hacker Sup Forums anonymous legion lingo
Plebeian has been part of the English language since before the invention of the internet.

lol... and when was the last time you heard/saw anyone use it outside of Sup Forums

Sony Vaio PCG-GT3/K and Sony Picturebook.

>when was the last time you heard/saw anyone use it outside of Sup Forums
Semi-regularly. It sounds like it's time for you to come out of mommy's basement and interact with the outside world for a change. Also, Sup Forums rarely uses that word anymore because it has become overrun by degenerates with poor English vocabulary. The word "normie" or "normalfag" has taken over as a result.

Is the n900 the most powerful linux compatible nokia phone with a keyboard?

I just need to hit the lottery man

This does need an update though