/pcbg/ - PC Building General

logicalincrements.com/ (Badly outdated, use the guides on pcpartpicker instead)
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
how to build a pc.
youtu.be/69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, try to include information like response time, refresh rate, resolution, and size

CPUs:
>A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds without a dedicated graphics card.
R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>i3 8100 - Better budget CPU, but wait for cheaper motherboards, only coffee lake cpu in steady stock
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (8400) or multithreaded/general (1600) use CPUs, The 8400 is having stock issues and the platform cost is more than that of the 1600 so keep that in mind. 1600x is only worth it if you are scared of overclocking.
>R7 1700 / i7 8700k - Currently the best mainstream chips both companies have to offer. Note: 1700x/1800x is basically the same as 1700 when OCed, and 8700k is out of stock pretty much everywhere.
>Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work

RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal

GPUs:
Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4Gb 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match, Vega 56 if you can get it for under $450
1440p
>GTX 1070 / 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
>1080Ti

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/kzNchq
pcpartpicker.com/list/28W3r7
pcpartpicker.com/list/3WXyGf
pcpartpicker.com/list/WyVwxY
pcpartpicker.com/list/hB2Vjc
au.pcpartpicker.com/user/JoshCa/saved/dnJnnQ
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Rdwchq
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

please respond

How big of an issue would one milliemeter be?
Example my cpu cooler is 169mm tall and my case will only fit a 170mm tall cooler.

you should be fine

Built my PC in august and I'm already planning on upgrading my gpu to a 1060 6GB soon. How long will that card keep me good for? Assuming I plan on only playing 1080/60fps.

My next upgrade after will be faster ram.

Inbound

Hope you bought a delidding kit as well. 75 at stock with a $1000 refrigerator.

DELID THIS

I am, I already own a rocket 88

Are there any high bandwith sli bridges that work with the cards next to each other (i.e. In the 3rd and 4th pcie slots)

>multigpu in 2017

Does anyone have any vesa mount suggestions? i need one that supports a single 32" monitor. All the ones i can find only support up to 27". I know they mount the same but whether or not they'll support the weight and torque is another question. Alternatively does anyone know of any stands that mount via vesa, are good enough for a 32" and have full swivel? Ideally I'd try to steal one of a predator or a benq cad one.

top fucking kek

Dual 1080 ti = 4k 60fps
Single 1080 ti = 4k sub 60fps

4k 144hz?

>4k 144hz

Hi, how can I cut costs with this build? My original budget was £800 and I value having the M.2 SSD..

Guys help, should I get a new gtx 1080 for
$469 or should I wait for the 1070ti?

Ms2 has to go, no way around it.

>managed to keep my full 1080 build excluding monitor to very happy with results
>search through 1440p/144hz monitors
>$900+
Life isn't fair

Replace your 960 EVO to 850 EVO, having a NVMe SSD is not going to give you extra performance unless you do VM, Scratch Disks, and deal with large files all the time

$469 sounds pretty cheap desu. Is it on sale or something? Or a FE?

Core i7-8700K
16GB 3000 RAM
250GB SSD
GTX 1080

Ryzen 7 1700
32GB 3000 RAM
500GB SSD
GTX 1080

both $1600
>intel shills will still defend this

pcpartpicker.com/list/kzNchq
pcpartpicker.com/list/28W3r7
how will intel ever recover?

They wont.

post the pcpartpicker link.

how is Ryzen for emulating? specifically PS2 games. will it compare to my i5? been thinking of upgrading since my rig's getting a little dated and I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade. also got a couple of flaky HDDs that need replacing. 7970's a tough little shit, but its starting to show its age with some newer games.

>inb4 animu in crystaldiskinfo

downloaded the wrong version and never bothered to fix it. deal.

>>$900+
not sure what the conversion from usd to ausd is, but I have this and it was a pretty great deal

pcpartpicker.com/list/3WXyGf
how come?

That's a good question. I have a 5820k (which I'm happy with) but there are still a few PCSX2 games that can get sluggish, even at 4.0 GHz. I think Ryzen single threaded is a touch better than Haswell in other games, not sure about PCSX2 though. What games give you trouble currently with the 4690K? I've always been tempted to make a mini-ITX PCSX2 machine for fun.

1700 has no cooler. Is stock really good enough?

Better than fx was, I think Intel still gets the better emulator support. I wonder why

Just gonna leave this here.

and this

Yes it does retard

the ryzen wraith is the greatest stock cooler ever. it handles OCing like a breeze and is dead silent.

cheapest is $734 sent from US

>1700 has no cooler

umm

>What games give you trouble currently with the 4690K?
mainly the Jak and Daxter series, since those games were coded real funky or something. have to run them in software mode otherwise the graphics are beyond fucked. runs full speed in hardware mode, but everythings garbled/shadows are fucked/characters eyes are broken, etc. software mode has various slowdowns in spots depending on what speedhacks are used. most other games I've tried run fine with a little tweaking.

I know it comes with a stock cooler. I'm asking if the stock cooler is good enough, like if you OC I imagine you would need an aftermarket cooler.

so i can cut the costs down.
pcpartpicker.com/list/WyVwxY
$100~ cheaper without any real performance loss. any reason why you don't have an hdd in your build?

Yes it oc 0.3ghz at least

you can push it about as high as ryzen will go with any cooler, ryzen isn't the best overclocker.

yes, the cooler can be pushed to the limits of the cpu, but i'd recommend maxing out at 3.7, as you can do this on every board at stock voltage and the wraith is made to handle it.

So i tried the 8400 out with cemu and new super mario brothers. Was runing up to 95% on one core but was able to hold 60fps fine. Only times frames dropped was when the whole program gets hung up on loading or texture or whatever the hell it does. Very pleased with the performance

pcpartpicker.com/list/hB2Vjc

I need a good quiet cheap cpu cooler

>but muh 8-series
>7700k literally behind the 8700k by one fps
LOL!

The 3gb 1060 is better investment than the 1050 ti or the 1060 could give me issues in the long term for the "lack" of vram?

hard to tell

Oh, thanks! and yeah, I already have a 1TB hdd

the 1060 6g is only ~$50 more than the 3g, so save up a little more and go with that.

the ryzen stock cooler is good and quiet.

Also what was the reason for switching the motherboard and graphics card to these? They are the same price

Listen can the stock cooler handle 90° F weather

Making a 1600x build what would be a good mobo?

As long as 1070s are overpriced why shouldnt I just buy a 980TI?

this is actually pretty helpful, thanks.

This actually makes me want to get the 7700k now

why would that graph make you want to get the 7700k? if anything it should make you want to get a ryzen.

the 1600x is a waste. the 1600 can be pushed just as hard, and it comes with a great stock cooler.
the best ryzen mobo is the asrock b350 pro4.

yes, but if you're that worried buy a 212 EVO.

But I’m probably a fucking retard who doesn’t know how to overclock

I haven't used a desktop computer in almost 8 years. Could you guys please give your opinions on using 24 vs 27 inch, how much of a difference that makes etc? I ask because its about a $200 gap here

And for that mobo what would you recommend for RAM.

overclocking is easy when you get a good board, specifically an asrock. literally takes 15 seconds to OC.
corsair vengeance lpx 3000 c15 is the most compatible ryzen ram, and its on the cheaper side of ddr4. always go with that.

not only do you need faster ram, but you need more of it. 8gb is basically the bare minimum these days

hold off on the 1060 for a few months (6) and get a Volta. being in the know (or at least keeping up to date) you should be able to unload the 1060 prior to Volta launch for about $200, so keep your ear to the ground

amd shills out in force

27 is overkill. buy a 144hz 24 for buttery smooth 1080p on any half decent build.

Because its been so long I'm spoiling myself with a 1080 build. I'm planning on getting an ROG Swift for the screen

What about heatspreaders? I’m trying to be a tremendous faggot with some lights

They really are upset about this launch

nice choices, although i'd go with the VG248QE over the ROG.
have you started your build on pcpartpicker?

>Tom's Hardware
>AMD shill
Lol even in their review which showed disastrous temps for the 8700K, they still had to sugarcoat it. They basically said "B-but it's ok as long as you don't do AVX!" Nevermind the fact that they claimed the 4.9GHz was stable despite throttling under $1000 of cooling.

Also, now that I checked the mono can I go microatx or is that too gay?

intel will never recover from ryzen.

Yeah I posted earlier today but have since changed the case. First time building
>au.pcpartpicker.com/user/JoshCa/saved/dnJnnQ

Im surprised people still buy the vg248qe i bought mine over 2 years ago

sure, but there's no real reason to right now. the atx is going for the same price as the micro.

>fix TIM
>do nothing
Looks its better than ryzen

Oh I just wanted to make a smaller pc I have that obsidian 800 and the size and weight is giving me hardcore diabetes

there's a reason why the majority of fps pros still use it. so good and well priced.

It's a deal on massdrop. It seems like a good price. I'm a pleb though and just want to play wow on ultra at 60+ fps. I think a 1060 would do that, but the 1080 would last me much longer. I'm upgrading from a r9 280 which is starting to show it's age.

But everything you said will be good for gaming/vr? I’m getting a 1080 to compliment the build. Cause my 980 I saw starting to not be good

1070 is more efficient. If you dont care about heat, noise, or power use go with a 980ti.

Same here, but it's a quality monitor even by today's standards.
Only issue is color reproduction, everything looks slightly washed out.

Color is shit though. I want a 60hz ips 1440p 27inch monitor

Man that screen is cheap in comparison. How is the image quality/colours etc? I feel like if I'm getting a 1080 I should really make the most of it and fall for the 1440p meme

1080 is overkill in 1080p most the time. Not sure if it will do 140fps in 1440p though

most recent AAAs benchmark about 90-120 on ultra with the 1080. I figured everything else like Overwatch, valve games and indie shit would hit the max refresh rate easy though

just go with a nicely sized mid tower like the nzxt s340. no need to go with anything micro.

Thank you I think I’ve got all the materials for my next build, I guess one last question, you’re not being some internet fucker right? I mean I know this is Sup Forums but I do like to think people genuinely like to help.

1600 is shit and the 8400 is a lot better for most users but other than that he was honest with you

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Rdwchq
i'd go with this build instead. far superior and cheaper.

Buy 1 8gb stick now, get cheaper PSU

Get another stick next paycheck

yes, everything will be good for gaming/vr.

Are Corsair mouses any good?
My Logitech G400 is dying on me and I don't want to buy another Logitech one. Also I don't have access to many brands in here.

there's a reason why its one of the most common monitors used by professional gamers. the colors are solid, and there are some ICC profiles you can download that make the colors a lot more vibrant.

They are not comfy. I had one, broke it, got another and decided to return it and get the razor death adder elite because it has a better sensor and better ergos

Why is poozen still listed, its shit

of course not. stick around Sup Forums and read through some build threads. its pretty easy to tell who's trolling and not. this guy, for instance, is a troll. 1600 > 8400
6 more threads, significantly better stock cooler, cheaper mobos, unlocked, and you can actually buy it.

@62972975
(You)