Have you found any use for RAID 0?

Have you found any use for RAID 0?

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=b3_lVSrPB6w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

useless

Relic of the past. If you don't have enough throughput with a ssd (which has much better latencies) your answer is probably a data cloud type of storage, not raid 0.

PS: RAID 5 and 6 are still good in smaller servers.

I know someone who has 2 SSDs in RAID-0 and claims he gets outrageous performance with it. I haven't seen it myself though.

It helps in synthetic benchmarks, but nowhere else

It's excellent for causing data loss on twice the number of drives when one of them fails.

It pairs well with raid 1.
ie. Raid 10 master race reporting in.

I used to have it on a 2x128GB SSD setup, but then i realized the RAID driver was slow as shit on boot and actually slowed down my overall boot time. Now I just use a 500GB 850 Evo as boot and call it a day.

For the price of two SSD's you could probably get an NVMe nowadays.

hooktube.com/watch?v=b3_lVSrPB6w

Every winfag and their mother has to have a RAID 0 on hardware and then promptly lose their data 2 months later when the MBR header on one drive drops a sector.

PCMark world records.

Friend of mine collects and processes data from downhole fiber optic sensors. Uses raid 0 cuz of crazy sampling rates and shit tons of data. I don't think the data is stored long term just recorded, processed and wiped.

> but then i realized the RAID driver was slow as shit on boot and actually slowed down my overall boot time
Pretty typical for Windows. Don't bother with SW RAID on that.

On Linux it doesn't make much of a difference but it's still a data safety hazard.

In my days it was useful, sure.
Not anymore.

>Raid 10
This is 2017, what use is there for performance raids?

JBOD is less problematic if you want to join a bunch of disks as a unified storage.

can i have two drives in raid 0 and two more as backups?
is this a hard setup to do on linux?

Nah it's from the mobo itself.

zraid0 my go to.

I've got a couple of SSD in raid-0 for the /scratch filesystem on one of my boxes.

I see about a 25% performance gain for my usual workload from having them striped, so for that, plus using two cheaper SSD instead of one large expensive one it was worth it.

I personally havnt had a use for it, but if you want just a scenario where raid 0 would be of use, then imagine you dont have any more free drives on hand, and you are testing something out that requires a large drive. All you happen to have is a stack of old decrepit drive you dont use for anything that range from 20gb to 60gb.
put them in raid 0 to get the testing shitbox up and running to see if it even works.
because its only a temporary thing, it doesn't matter when they inevitably fail.

I used raid 0 in my first SSD build.
In about 3 weeks it failed and I lost all my data.
Lesson learned

That's RAID 10.

I using it for years on my Synology NAS (plus external backup) and never had failure. before that I was using raid0 on WD My book and also never had a failure. raid 5 doesnt work with drives bigger than 4TB repair time is too long

I knew a guy who wanted to RAID 0 SSDs because he was autistic about getting 10GBps write speed to match 10GBps network.

pic related

>If you don't have enough throughput with a ssd (which has much better latencies) your answer is probably a data cloud type of storage
god you're retarded

>not backing up
you're retarded too
>10GBps write speed to match 10GBps network.
And you're retarded as well as you dont know the difference between bits and bytes

Benchmarks